Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was MPG your only reason to go electric?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

We needed a big car with twins on the way. We’ll also be doing mainly short runs. The outlander phev is what we went for.

Its a nice non diesel option in a market dominated by diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Not there yet but mpg is certainly not a consideration for me, only spend 50 quid a month on diesel.

1) Sweet, modern tech. When I sit in my old banger heaving the gear stick backwards and forwards I just cannot fathom why every car since the 90s isn't automatic.
    2) Maintenance. I know nothing about cars and don't have the time or patience to learn so I really could do with a car where timing belts are simply not an issue.
    3) Environment. We're going to look back at the 20th and early 21st centuries and wonder why we didn't do something sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

For me, I had to change 2nd car. I had been looking at EVs but not too seriously but when the time came there was little doubt in my mind. The petrol savings were sufficient to fund a loan to buy a 30Kw Leaf and it’s become the first car.
    I’ve had a few hairy ones in terms of getting low in charge but haven’t regretted it. Fantastic car to drive, I hate getting into the ICE.

I would be fairly environmentally friendly but at the end of the day economics were probably the key driver 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Maybe things shouldn't be led by environmental concerns all the time anyway - look where the Green Party and their love of diesels has brought us.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My interest starts from environment. That interest have evolved over a long time. I believe we will have mainly go to an electric future in energy. This means mainly renewable or very low GHG emissions.
    I think diesel particle and other such emissions will, in future be frowned upon. The major increase in allergies show their is some problem.

Always liked to be a fairly early adoptor.
    Hopefully the 2nd car will fairly soon be BEV as well. Will still keep an old van for farming runaround. Oh lord make me pure EV, but just not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

We needed a big car with twins on the way. We’ll also be doing mainly short runs. The outlander phev is what we went for.

Its a nice non diesel option in a market dominated by diesels.

how big are your twins?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Water John wrote: »
    Will still keep an old van for farming runaround. Oh lord make me pure EV, but just not yet.

Did you see the Renault Kangoo Maxivan ZE in the bargain thread? It really is very cheap for what it is. And should it die, it will still be one hell of a cheap home attached 22kWh battery

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

My reasons for switching to a leaf were

1. had an 8 year old Passat that was costing more and more in repairs
    2. owning a new car with warranty
    3. the range suited me perfectly for a 110km daily round trip
    4. free public charging
    5. Low road tax
    6. The cost of diesel was high at the time and I was fed up putting 90e diesel in every 7-10 days

I've covered 115k in 3.5 years, not sure how much I've saved or not saved, but overall happy that I have a car that's ultra reliable and drives beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

tedpan wrote: »
    I've covered 115k in 3.5 years, not sure how much I've saved or not saved, but overall happy that I have a car that's ultra reliable and drives beautifully.

That would be approximately €5200 saved versus diesel fuel alone. Add in maintenance and tax savings and it's pretty good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

daheff wrote: »
    how big are your twins?

Its not the twins, its the pram. And all the crap you need to go with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement