Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I tend to agree that the changing of the guard in the back three does give Byrne a second chance to break in. Add in James Lowe qualifying for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

salmocab wrote: »
    Testech is a Connacht supporter not sure how you think he wants Leinster to keep their players as usual.

Was a general "you" because that the classic argument of Leinster fans
    Apologies if it was taken personally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

connachta wrote: »
    Was a general "you" because that the classic argument of Leinster fans
    Apologies if it was taken personally :)

Not personally I’m sure, but you clearly just assumed he was a Leinster supporter because he thought Byrne may not want to move to Connacht.

Not personally I’m sure, but you clearly just assumed he was a Leinster supporter because he thought Byrne may not want to move to Connacht.

It looked like Leinster fan talk, indeed, player wanna stay, there's room for him (though a not starting one) etc.

but apologies to him, then, c'mon Connacht:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It looked like Leinster fan talk, indeed, player wanna stay, there's room for him (though a not starting one) etc.

but apologies to him, then, c'mon Connacht:)

Not sure why you thought it sounded like Leinster fan talk when only 2 people after you pointed out he may not want to move and neither was Leinster. You might just be looking for things that don’t exist.

• Advertisement

Not sure why you thought it sounded like Leinster fan talk when only 2 people after you pointed out he may not want to move and neither was Leinster. You might just be looking for things that don’t exist.

I just say I disagree, player sometimes doesn't have the choice and is "strongly invited" to move like Carbery. In his own interest and Ireland interest.
    Something Leinster boys don't swallow easily. Which is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Loosehead, lock, and back row depth particularly concerning as it stands.

6 second rows with 2 more in the academy should be plenty, not to mention thornbury Gallagher Murray and dowling are all pretty young the game time will be good for them.. wouldn’t be too concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    You just want to keep your player. As usual
    Byrne is 26 even starting 6 games won't be enough, if he prioritise rugby, which is not sure, he shoud try to be 1st choice, and could in Connacht (Healy not young)

you said that about Salanoa too, look where he decided to go ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Lucas44 wrote: »
    6 second rows with 2 more in the academy should be plenty, not to mention thornbury Gallagher Murray and dowling are all pretty young the game time will be good for them.. wouldn’t be too concerned

I’m just going off what’s been announced so far, which leaves us with 5+1, who are the extra two? O’Shea and Predergast?

Mul, it's over
    I just say I disagree, player sometimes doesn't have the choice and is "strongly invited" to move like Carbery. In his own interest and Ireland interest.
    Something Leinster boys don't swallow easily. Which is normal

The players have a choice. They may have family commitments for not moving, they may be doing degree/masters and decide they have to be Dublin based to do that, they may also just not want to move.

I also believe based on what philip browne said in the past week, the IRFU are going to hold off on sanctioning any further squad additions [unless its a player currently under contract for the 19-20 season moving] until they have a clearer picture of what lies ahead. I reckon there has been discussions behind the scenes about perhaps, [THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT] of players going on a one season loan out west too.

The other option is there will be no shortage of players in 3 months time.

Simon Thomas interviewed Martin Anayi the other day. One quote was that they think there will be 8 teams in the champions cup next season from the pro14 [and no challenge cup is my understanding too], but Anayi said he didnt know how that would be determined. One rumour seems to suggest 3 x wales, 3 x Ireland, 1 x Scotland and 1 x Italy was favoured in order to provide all 4 Unions with some sort of cash flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I agree. 1 in and 1 out. Murray has had a few appearances this/last season and will be good for a few goes again. We were unlucky to lose Roux and thornbury for a long period last year. LH Backrow/8 and 15 are where we will struggle. I like McCallister but he seems a bit injury prone. Have no issues with Burke but after that who do we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    Hugh lane, Luke Carty, Mikey Wilson are all released. Some additional players from Leinster and elsewhere from this years Irish 20s joining the academy

Any source for that?

I’m just going off what’s been announced so far, which leaves us with 5+1, who are the extra two? O’Shea and Predergast?

Darragh Murray and Cian prendergast

Evil_g wrote: »
    Any source for that?

Straight from Eric elwoods mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

Whatever, Leinster fan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    you said that about Salanoa too, look where he decided to go ......

Because we have Aungier, who's rated higher by most:D

Mul, it's over
    Because we have Aungier, who's rated higher by most:D

Who you never mentioned once when you were determining that Salanoa had to move to Connacht to further his career. Seems the players own mind thinks differently.

I'm sure there will be a few more moves this year but i would be surprised if anything more happens until we know what format next season will take

Edit - if there is going to be two different champions cups played out and 10 international's, Leinster are going to need as deep a squad as possible given the numbers who will be unavailable due to international call ups

If there is no internationals until February 2021 then there is some scope to move a few players even on loan. Then a lot more depends on the format of the CC and Pro14

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Who you never mentioned once when you were determining that Salanoa had to move to Connacht to further his career. Seems the players own mind thinks differently.

Not only 1 but 2 TH moved from Leinster to other province, whichever it is, for the reason I mentioned (gametime mainly, and a chance to start in the near future). That's my point, despite Leinster moaning (which I partly understand, but partly only).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Have the wootton links died now that he wasn’t on the departing players video Munster released?

Some Like It TOH
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Have the wootton links died now that he wasn’t on the departing players video Munster released?

Not just a video but that was accompanied by an article on the site. For his sake I hope the move happens. Munster have plenty cover in the back three and he's unlikely to get an extension at Munster bar a turnaround in fortune.

• Advertisement

The guy run fast but is very very weak defensively

Straight substitute for Niyi !
    He improved (a bit) maybe Wootton can do it too

If he wasn't listed among the 8, he may stay and we look for another. Would love to see Jame Newey, really, as he's no more with Jersey or Bristol.
    He and T.Farell would cover both wing and centre, providing extra power among our back-3 (TOH, Porch, S.Fitzgerald and Healy are light wingers)

So, Darren O'Shea for Macksymiw?

I see Dowling, Masterson and SOB more as 6. So we need a lock not a flanker, IMO

+ 8 of course, but I've no doubt someone will be signed there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Has there been anything linking o shea to Connacht?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Has there been anything linking o shea to Connacht?

No but a IQ lock leaving Munster, experienced in England too, lineout jumper, is not un-interesting...

Some Like It TOH
    O'Shea's final season at Munster wouldn't inspire confidence, he played a decent amount but mostly that was down to injuries. He was released for a reason. If you can give opportunities to an academy player who is ready I wouldn't look at DOS.

Mul, it's over
    O'Shea's final season at Munster wouldn't inspire confidence, he played a decent amount but mostly that was down to injuries. He was released for a reason. If you can give opportunities to an academy player who is ready I wouldn't look at DOS.

Barring asking the fans to bring their boots they'll need to get bodies from somewhere.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Barring asking the fans to bring their boots they'll need to get bodies from somewhere.

My grandma is roaring to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bazzo wrote: »

I’d much rather we gave game time to our talented youngsters over very average players. In the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons, James Mitchell made 22 appearances. At that time Stephen Kerins, our best age grade scrumhalf in recent memory, was in years 2 & 3 of the academy, at an age where he needed gametime to develop. He played once across the two seasons. Now Mitchell is gone, taking that experience with him. Kerins remains, still under 10 career appearances, and far from hitting the heights we all had hoped for him.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    I’d much rather we gave game time to our talented youngsters over very average players. In the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons, James Mitchell made 22 appearances. At that time Stephen Kerins, our best age grade scrumhalf in recent memory, was in years 2 & 3 of the academy, at an age where he needed gametime to develop. He played once across the two seasons. Now Mitchell is gone, taking that experience with him. Kerins remains, still under 10 career appearances, and far from hitting the heights we all had hoped for him.

Absolutely agree, but in the second row particularly it's an issue because the players are more often than not underdeveloped physically. Murray got a very hard time of it this year for example, and it wasn't just one on one either, look at the scrums when he was on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement