Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    So we’ve been linked in recent times with Oisin Dowling, Conor Oliver, and Sam Arnold. Thoughts?

Dowling would either add much needed depth, he could probably surpass Gallagher and Mak and become 4th choice lock.

I threw Oliver out as a suggestion a few months ago and would be very happy if we signed him. Was tracking very well with Munster before injury derailed him. Still young and we’ve seen how players who have stagnated at other provinces can develop through regular gametime. Would like to see us move Butler back to 7, have Oliver as backup, and sign a big 8.

Don’t think we need Arnold really but he’s a really good player, would leave us absolutely stacked at centre. Would suggest it would be more prudent to strengthen at prop before signing a 5th centre.

Would be happy with all 3. Seems very unlikely Godwin will be staying at this stage when we still haven't heard anything so could probably do with another centre. Have we heard anything about Goddard since earlier in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

So we’ve been linked in recent times with Oisin Dowling, Conor Oliver, and Sam Arnold. Thoughts?

Dowling would add much needed depth, he could probably surpass Gallagher and Mak and become 4th choice lock.

I threw Oliver out as a suggestion a few months ago and would be very happy if we signed him. Was tracking very well with Munster before injury derailed him. Still young and we’ve seen how players who have stagnated at other provinces can develop through regular gametime. Would like to see us move Butler back to 7, have Oliver as backup, and sign a big 8.

Don’t think we need Arnold really but he’s a really good player, would leave us absolutely stacked at centre. Would suggest it would be more prudent to strengthen at prop before signing a 5th centre.

I agree on Dowling and Oliver as I think they would both add alot. I'd take Arnold if the price was right. We overused Godwin this season and we would have been lost without his versatility.
    We do need a TH, 8 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bazzo wrote: »
    Would be happy with all 3. Seems very unlikely Godwin will be staying at this stage when we still haven't heard anything so could probably do with another centre. Have we heard anything about Goddard since earlier in the season?

Yeah I agree, only thing is that Godwin provides a second playmaking option in midfield and also versatility, whereas Arnold is quite similar to Daly, Robb, and Bundee. Goddard hasn’t appeared for Wegians in quite a while so I would assume he has gone home, not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

It is understood that Luke Carty, younger brother of Ireland out-half Jack, may depart as he completes his time with the Academy.

connachta wrote: »
    It is understood that Luke Carty, younger brother of Ireland out-half Jack, may depart as he completes his time with the Academy.

Where did you see that? I’m not surprised tbh.

• Advertisement

Where did you see that? I’m not surprised tbh.

The Indo.
    We need a 10/12

The Indo.
    We need a 10/12

Cheers. I agree but don’t think Luke Carty is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    The Indo are linking Conor Oliver with a move to England. Sam Arnold would be a good pickup, he's got a few starts for Munster this year but will be down the pecking order next year with DDA arriving. He turns 24 next month so has still got development in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sam Arnold would be a massive signing. A fully capped, young irish centre, leaving Munster to come to Galway. Would be brilliant,

Bundle at 12 and Arnold at 13 would be a great centre paring.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Sam Arnold would be a massive signing. A fully capped, young irish centre, leaving Munster to come to Galway. Would be brilliant,

Bundle at 12 and Arnold at 13 would be a great centre paring.

Arnold doesn't gain meters and misses 1/3 of his tackles.
    Of course he could improve, but not convinced. We should focus on Oliver not going to England. It's said we struggle to replace Fainga'a.

Maybe we should indeed move Butler to openside, nailed E.Masterson as back-up 7, and put all money on a big ball-carrying 8. McKeon would be back-up there, and blindside is ok, as, we tend to forget about him, SOB will provide cover for Boyle, if not better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    I’d take all three of them tbh, shouldn’t be too expensive and would add depth. Godwin looking likely to go is disappointing as he has been excellent but Arnold wouldn’t be the worst replacement. Oliver behind butler at 7 would make sense. Add in solona and a big ball carrier of an 8 and that’s a decent summer of recruiting.

If (big if) Madigan would take a massive pay cut to come back to Ireland I’d take him too as a utility back

The Friend Zone
    Arnold doesn't gain meters and misses 1/3 of his tackles.
    Of course he could improve, but not convinced. We should focus on Oliver not going to England. It's said we struggle to replace Fainga'a.

Maybe we should indeed move Butler to openside, nailed E.Masterson as back-up 7, and put all money on a big ball-carrying 8. McKeon would be back-up there, and blindside is ok, as, we tend to forget about him, SOB will provide cover for Boyle, if not better

Has masterson played much at 7? Thought he was more of an 6/8?
    Doeling signing could free gallagher up to spot in at 6.

4. Thornbury Dillane dowling
    5. Roux Maksymiw Murray
    6. Sob masterson gallagher
    7. Butler Oliver S. Masterson?
    8. Niq Boyle mckeon

Obviously a lot of injuries over the course of the season, particularly to sob and gallagher, so the likes of Boyle would start a lot at 6

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Has masterson played much at 7? Thought he was more of an 6/8?
    Doeling signing could free gallagher up to spot in at 6.

4. Thornbury Dillane dowling
    5. Roux Maksymiw Murray
    6. Sob masterson gallagher
    7. Butler Oliver S. Masterson?
    8. Niq Boyle mckeon

Obviously a lot of injuries over the course of the season, particularly to sob and gallagher, so the likes of Boyle would start a lot at 6

Is Boyle really a n°8?
    Not "tiny" as said before, but still more a 6...
    On the opposite S.Masterson is more an 8 than a 7, clearly

The Friend Zone
    Is Boyle really a n°8?
    Not "tiny" as said before, but still more a 6...
    On the opposite S.Masterson is more an 8 than a 7, clearly

Personally like Boyle at 8, and think he’s more of an 8 than E. Masterson. Always thought S. Masterson would make a good 6/8 but any time I’ve seen him play it’s been at 7. Some very promising back rows coming through at u19 level too so might not see too much investment in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If Arnold is leaving Munster, I would expect him to return to England where he could probably get more money. Test rugby isn't really on the cards for him. He's 23, a big lump and would be available throughout all test windows. He'd be a solid signing for several GP teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Where is all this talk of Godwin leaving coming from? Would be another big blow to Connacht after losing fainga'a!

The Friend Zone
    lenny4545 wrote: »
    Where is all this talk of Godwin leaving coming from? Would be another big blow to Connacht after losing fainga'a!

When he signed initially he had an interview in Australia saying after his two years in Europe he was hoping to go back and get into the mix for the wallabies. His two years would be up this summer and there hasn’t been a sound about him staying on

Arno Botha is out of contract, lots of backrows for Munster
    Big ball carrying 8. If he wants to settle in Ireland, we could offer him a long-term deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Arno Botha is out of contract, lots of backrows for Munster
    Big ball carrying 8. If he wants to settle in Ireland, we could offer him a long-term deal

Wouldn't have too much interest in Botha. Think we could aim a bit higher.

when you see how light our recruitement is bacause of the new stadium, he would be satisfying.
    Need money for a prop a lock and 1/2 backs...
    But n°8 is main priority

• Advertisement

Brian Byrne on loan in Bistol n°16 this Sunday.
    Any chance Nial Annett or him come back as McCartney retires?
    Not sure J.Murphy will be kept and Tierney-Martiin has no senior experience yet, one spot to fill!

I'm worried Treviso would be the great winner of this
    Ulster(h)
    Munster (h)
    Munster (a)
    Edin (a)

8 points

Then end of restriction in the end of April

Connacht (h) 5
    Scarlets (h) 4
    Kings (a) 5
    Cheetahs (a) 1
    Zebre (h) 5

28 points

57 total, should be enough

If the 2 points split goes on until the end of the season, they would be big losers
    18 points, 47 total

So unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Ulster(h)
    Munster (h)
    Munster (a)
    Edin (a)

8 points

Connacht (h) 5
    Scarlets (h) 4
    Kings (a) 5
    Cheetahs (a) 1
    Zebre (h) 5

28 points

If the 2 points split goes on until the end of the season, they would be big losers
    18 points, 47 total

So unfair

You worry too much enjoy life live for the moment you ll be happier

The Friend Zone
    Brian Byrne on loan in Bistol n°16 this Sunday.
    Any chance Nial Annett or him come back as McCartney retires?
    Not sure J.Murphy will be kept and Tierney-Martiin has no senior experience yet, one spot to fill!

Would rather give DTM the minutes

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would rather give DTM the minutes

Heffernan will be absent with Irish team often. Big risk to have a 21 y.o so much importance.. Have you seen him play and impress ?

The Friend Zone
    Heffernan will be absent with Irish team often. Big risk to have a 21 y.o so much importance.. Have you seen him play and impress ?

He was one of the stand outs in the u20 grand slam winning team that has seen a few players step up to senior level with no issues this season. Baird, Hodnett Penny etc. DTM was in the same bracket as them at that level.

I’d keep Murphy around too if he’s happy and on a reasonable wage but I’d like to see DTM as third choice behind heff and delahunt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Ulster(h)
    Munster (h)
    Munster (a)
    Edin (a)

8 points

Connacht (h) 5
    Scarlets (h) 4
    Kings (a) 5
    Cheetahs (a) 1
    Zebre (h) 5

28 points

18 points, 47 total

So unfair

At some point, your going to have to grow up and accept the pro14 is going to be severely impacted due to several of the games involving the 2 italian sides not getting fulfilled. It's inevitable that several fixtures will have to be declared 0-0 because there won't be enough empty slots to refix

The lockdown will end at April 3rd at the earliest. Thats the Euro QF weekend. It's unlikely games will be refixed for that weekend which means we are down to the Euro SF and final weekend but the Euro SF weekend is only 3 weeks after the QF weekend so that could also be impossible.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    At some point, your going to have to grow up and accept the pro14 is going to be severely impacted due to several of the games involving the 2 italian sides not getting fulfilled. It's inevitable that several fixtures will have to be declared 0-0 because there won't be enough empty slots to refix

The lockdown will end at April 3rd at the earliest. Thats the Euro QF weekend. It's unlikely games will be refixed for that weekend which means we are down to the Euro SF and final weekend but the Euro SF weekend is only 3 weeks after the QF weekend so that could also be impossible.

If you've read my post, you'd see Treviso would be advantaged if the 2-2 draw are removed before mid-April, and damaged if it is after this point
    It depends if they are still allow to travel too

Please please do not start this again. I agree that we need to start getting DTM first team minutes and would be happy with him as third choice, although I don’t think he’s on the same level talent wise as Baird, Penny, etc.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Please please do not start this again. I agree that we need to start getting DTM first team minutes and would be happy with him as third choice, although I don’t think he’s on the same level talent wise as Baird, Penny, etc.

Baird and Penny are exceptional talents, didn’t mean to compare DTM to them in that way more so that guys that age are breaking into the senior game this season and aren’t lacking as much physically as u20s coming through in the past. DTM could’ve be a brilliant player but he’s not going to walk into international rugby like James Ryan, Baird, Doris Penny etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement