Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster v Scarlets Match Thread 01/09/18 Ravenhill 5:15

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭launish116

a lot of positives to take from individuals but they still need to bloody score!

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nick Timoney btw, class act. Brainy player who won’t take a step backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Bit ominous that we didn't score. However -

a) first competitive game Burns, Speight, Addison or Keornaghan have played with any of the rest of that backline.

b) Scarlets are a bloody good team.

c) our head coach has been here two weeks.

Based on actually paying attention to Clarke and Doak / Kiss / Gibbes-vintage Ulster, here are the improvements this evening-

Scrum - solid. Almost (whisper it) dependable.

Lineout - lost a McBurney overthrow, possibly one other (McBurney was excellent otherwise). Stole at least two Scarlets' line-outs.

Restarts - remember when we'd score and you could guarantee we'd give the ball straight back to the opposition from the kickoff? One excellent Scarlets reclaim, good other than that, and reclaimed a couple of our own.

We won that because our basics were light years ahead of where they were for most of last season. We used to have poor set pieces across the board. That was much, much better. Will it continue? That's the million dollar question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's been said before but it needs to be said again...Tom O'Toole is a serious prospect. I would say he is a nailed on test player of the future but then he has the small matter of Tadgh Furlong in his way...but at the very least he will win caps. He has ridiculous hands for a 19/20 year old prop. Also he made one or two carries tonight which showed his power as well.

What's the view of O'Sullivan. I'll leave others to judge the scrums but he looked keen in the loose and tight. Promising.

As much as we needed his kicks tonight am I alone in thinking that was one of Cooney poorer performances? He still did well, and it was his first hit out of the season so nothing to worry about. But just thinking that half back pairing is a work in progress...which in itself is exciting

bilston wrote: »
    It's been said before but it needs to be said again...Tom O'Toole is a serious prospect. I would say he is a nailed on test player of the future but then he has the small matter of Tadgh Furlong in his way...but at the very least he will win caps. He has ridiculous hands for a 19/20 year old prop. Also he made one or two carries tonight which showed his power as well.
    The man has a bright future, just looks the part. Mobile and aggressive. Moore/kane need to worry. Especially Moore cause at the mminute he's not gonna get game time. 
    What's the view of O'Sullivan. I'll leave others to judge the scrums but he looked keen in the loose and tight. Promising.
    He looked good once he came on, looks to always looking for work. Seems intelligent and good carrying/rucking. Was ruck stood out, we were about to loose the ball. Came in lifted the ball and continued the attack. He will O'toole and continue to improve.
    Kernan looked sharp, thats two games his footwork and attack have looked good.
    Realistically that was a game were most players haven't played together before. A win is a win, building blocks to start with, even if it was ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

As much as we needed his kicks tonight am I alone in thinking that was one of Cooney poorer performances? He still did well, and it was his first hit out of the season so nothing to worry about. But just thinking that half back pairing is a work in progress...which in itself is exciting

It wasn't a standout performance, but he wasn't a slouch either.

I think if Burns and Cooney hit full form it could be a decent partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Lads, our head coach has been here - what? Just over a fortnight? There's pain and frustration ahead, of course, but that was an auspicious start.

• Advertisement

Lads, our head coach has been here - what? Just over a fortnight? There's pain and frustration ahead, of course, but that was an auspicious start.

Agreed, few academy players got senior game time and we won. All looking positive, with things only gonna improve game on game.

launish116 wrote: »

Agreed, few academy players got senior game time and we won. All looking positive, with things only gonna improve game on game.

Aye and Kernohan wasn't one of them!

Was reading that, Kernohan is AIL? Time for a development contract?

Was reading that, Kernohan is AIL? Time for a development contract?

Think he plays for Ballymena. Another Ballymena Academy graduate. They have a few in the squad now.

To be fair thinking about it handing out a development contract on the back of 30 minutes in one game and a couple of friendlies seems unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Kernohan is sub-academy.

He won't get a development deal but I'd be amazed if he wasn't given a full academy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be thrilled with that result if I was an Ulster fan. Great outcome and valuable development.

• Advertisement

Get it sorted! Then all we need is a promising full back to make an appearance

Get it sorted! Then all we need is a promising academy full back to make an appearance

Get it sorted! Then all we need is a promising academy full back to make an appearance

Tonight's full back looked pretty promising!

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be thrilled with that result if I was an Ulster fan. Great outcome and valuable development.

It was an important win for all sorts of reasons. If we back it up next week against Edinburgh and beat them then it will have been a super start as both those sides are in our conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

You could see at the end how much it meant to the team to just get the win. Hopefully this is a good start and foundation to build on.

Think our breakdown was pretty poor. Scarlets are brilliant in that area but when our attacking players got away from our back row we struggled to regain ball quickly. I think that’s why Cooney and Burns had flatter performances. If we improved that area trys would come.

As others have said it’s great to see Ulster play the basics pretty well after such poor years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement