Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choke size.

Options
  • 29-08-2018 5:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if a few guys can help me out.

Does anyone know the internal diameter of a full choke is?

I cannot find my choke gauge and my Uncle wants to know what size choke (fixed) is in his shotgun. Can someone measure the internal diameter of their full choke and post it here.

I'll get a few together to see if there is any kind of consistency and then measure his to see how it compares. I've a feeling it's a full, but not sure.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://trulockchokes.com/basic_choke_information.html

Scroll down the page on the link above and it gives the approx restrictions.

Thumb through some of the products below and they give the diameter on the choke in the picture ...

https://www.brownells.co.uk/12GAUGE-TRU-CHOKE-CHOKE-TUBES-Tru-Choke-T-C-Cylinder-12-ga-CARLSONS-12-Gauge-Standard-155212008

Might help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

My chart says it’s .035 less than your bore size

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Done as much searching as i could and i believe that most semi auto of the age of this came with a full choke, fixed, as standard. After discussing it, at length, with my Uncle i've convinced him that getting the gun threaded for chokes is redundant as the full is probably the best option for his shooting.

Plus with the cost of getting it threaded, then buying chokes he could probably just try and buy a replacement barrel for similar cost, and one that is already multi-choked.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

What gun is it?

I didn't measure my chokes in response to you request for two reasons:

1. My calipers are manual and I might as well be looking into a bush....

2. My original chokes are steel rated and marked accordingly, therefore my I/C is actually a 'Bore' and so on and so forth.
    The 'Full' after market tube I ordered measured 'Improved Modified" on my choke gauge (brass and all of €8.00 worth), so I hold no faith in the actual dimensions.
    That been said there's enough written info to say that there are differences in choke dimensions between manufacturer's and only true way to know is to measure the barrel diameter after the chamber and the diameter at the choke point.

Me I just use my cheep choke gauge this way: the further it goes in the tighter the choke and visa versa...

Still, out of curiosity, I'd like to know what gun your uncle has.

Its a Breda, something or other, semi auto. Cannot remember the model name.

Its nothing fancy and not in too bad a condition. I've had the stock and foreend for the last week. Stripping the varnish off, removing dents, and applying a new finish (Tru-Oil). The action is next, but for me it'll only be a strip and clean as any kind of coating or painting i'll leave to the likes of small arms services that know their stuff, otherwise it'll turn out a mess.

The gun is not worth a lot and i don't want to see him spend tons of cash on threading/gunsmithing work for an item he won't use (the concept of chokes is alien to him at 79), and frankly won't change his shooting anyway (all he shoots is game, and only a little at that).

• Advertisement

If he's taking game with it then it's the best choke for him. Good luck with the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Breda xanthos??

Usually choked full or 3/4 never less i believe. Perfect for game

Not Xanthos. I think it begins with a C, but could be wrong.

The choke size helps though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Sika98k

A 12 bore has a nominal internal barrel diameter of 729”. Full choke is a constriction of 40 thou. Most fixed choke shotguns come with relatively tight choke(s).
    You can take it out but you can’t put it back in.
    Caveat,unless you send it off to be threaded for internal choke tubes.

Advertisement