Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Druids Glen and Heath for sale

124

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 26,913 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo


    Any opinion on Druids Heath from a membership perspective? I live in greystones and it’s the most keenly priced of the local courses. I would have a concern that it might be a tough (long) course for a beginner?
    Each to their own and I would try it before making a decision, but I wouldnt want to play there week in week out and I know a few nomadic golfers who moved from Beechpark to there and quickly all moved back.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    GreeBo wrote: »
    Each to their own and I would try it before making a decision, but I wouldnt want to play there week in week out and I know a few nomadic golfers who moved from Beechpark to there and quickly all moved back.

    Many thanks, will play it over the next few weeks as part of my recce ;)

    Out of interest what would make you not like to play there regularly, is it the atmosphere, the members, the course etc?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭whizbang


    First off I'm a member in Druids Heath.

    I never could understand the idea that its a long course. With the exception of 9->10, there's almost no distance from Green to next tee.
    A Sunday fourball will take a max of 4:20.

    Its a tough course to score on, the greens are fast and unforgiving, fairways thin and hard, makes wedging tough, but that's the way I like a home course to be.

    There's upwards of 550 members on the books, probably 450 playing regularly in Summer, so weekend times fill up quick.
    Gym and Pool option is a major bonus if you like that stuff.
    Maybe because its not a members club, there's little or none of the BS related to management. Almost all of the current members are genuine decent folk, just enjoying a challenge.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    whizbang wrote: »
    First off I'm a member in Druids Heath.

    I never could understand the idea that its a long course. With the exception of 9->10, there's almost no distance from Green to next tee.
    A Sunday fourball will take a max of 4:20.

    Its a tough course to score on, the greens are fast and unforgiving, fairways thin and hard, makes wedging tough, but that's the way I like a home course to be.

    There's upwards of 550 members on the books, probably 450 playing regularly in Summer, so weekend times fill up quick.
    Gym and Pool option is a major bonus if you like that stuff.
    Maybe because its not a members club, there's little or none of the BS related to management. Almost all of the current members are genuine decent folk, just enjoying a challenge.

    Many thanks for the info.


  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor


    The atmosphere is really good among members, there was a hint of old and new groups back in 2016 when we had an influx of Glen of The Downs and Kilcoole members, but that has long since gone.

    Course can be tough, and you need to get it in your head. Most white tee comps are won with 36 points/71 net. Yesterdays medal was won with 72 net, but that is an oddity, 69/70 will do it most months. (6th turned into a par 5 and lots couldn't get to the green on 11)

    Greens are very tricky, but they're not running as quick as they used to, and unlike Druids Glen where the breaks are subtle, the Heath slopes are there for you to see. You'll probably need about 10 rounds to feel comfortable on them if you're newish to the game and mid to high handicap.

    Gold tees were introduced this year to let shorter hitters enjoy the course and it's likely they'll be put into play in the non qualifying period of the year. The resort have been slow to get the GUI out and set a CSS.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams


    I'm a 5 day member in DH.
    The one thing that really annoys me is the way most comps are played off the greens...the course is easy off the greens.
    My issue is the difference between the green and white course is huge and not reflective of the 2 shot difference in css.

    They need to change some green Tee's and pull them back,take the 15th...par 5..422 yards ,joke..11th and 5th are other examples.
    For me the 5th is 9 iron off the greens and a 22deg rescue off the whites.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    AhHaor wrote: »
    The atmosphere is really good among members, there was a hint of old and new groups back in 2016 when we had an influx of Glen of The Downs and Kilcoole members, but that has long since gone.

    Course can be tough, and you need to get it in your head. Most white tee comps are won with 36 points/71 net. Yesterdays medal was won with 72 net, but that is an oddity, 69/70 will do it most months. (6th turned into a par 5 and lots couldn't get to the green on 11)

    Greens are very tricky, but they're not running as quick as they used to, and unlike Druids Glen where the breaks are subtle, the Heath slopes are there for you to see. You'll probably need about 10 rounds to feel comfortable on them if you're newish to the game and mid to high handicap.

    Gold tees were introduced this year to let shorter hitters enjoy the course and it's likely they'll be put into play in the non qualifying period of the year. The resort have been slow to get the GUI out and set a CSS.

    Really valuable info, much obliged.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    Contacted the lads in the office and they have offered to comp me a round to try out so will try and get out over the next few weeks.

    I guess we’d be playing off the green tees, are competitions generally played off the green tees or the whites? And is the course fairly playable for a beginner/high handicapper off the green tees?

    Can anybody comment on the practice facilities? One of the big draws for me joining a club would be the ability to practice short game stuff.

    I’ve also read that there is a range there with the ability to play off grass? Can anybody tell me what they charge for balls?

    Final question for anybody that might know, is the pro out there a good bet for a lesson or two for a beginner? At the moment I can’t really seem to improve much, regardless of the amount of time I put in.

    Many thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up


    I would not recommend Druids Heath for a beginner. I really wouldn't.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    Contacted the lads in the office and they have offered to comp me a round to try out so will try and get out over the next few weeks.

    I guess we’d be playing off the green tees, are competitions generally played off the green tees or the whites? And is the course fairly playable for a beginner/high handicapper off the green tees?

    Can anybody comment on the practice facilities? One of the big draws for me joining a club would be the ability to practice short game stuff.

    I’ve also read that there is a range there with the ability to play off grass? Can anybody tell me what they charge for balls?

    Final question for anybody that might know, is the pro out there a good bet for a lesson or two for a beginner? At the moment I can’t really seem to improve much, regardless of the amount of time I put in.

    Many thanks

    Please ignore my q about competition tees, was answered above


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    First Up wrote: »
    I would not recommend Druids Heath for a beginner. I really wouldn't.

    Thanks for the info, any reason why you wouldn’t recommend it?

    Is it the length? Is it too tight etc?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams


    First Up wrote:
    I would not recommend Druids Heath for a beginner. I really wouldn't.


    Off the greens which most comps are played off it's not the most difficult or longest in the area...fact


  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Skyfloater


    Thanks for the info, any reason why you wouldn’t recommend it?

    Is it the length? Is it too tight etc?

    For a beginner, both I'm afraid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up


    Off the greens which most comps are played off it's not the most difficult or longest in the area...fact


    There's about 6 holes where a beginner is likely to lose one or more balls.

    But best he plays it and decides for himself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    Cheers lads, will play the course next weekend if I can arrange it, see what’s what up there.

    Will be playing delgany soon but it’s 50% dearer than the Heath, so would want to be very impressive.

    Have played Charlesland a few times, i wouldn’t be over enamoured with the Place and I know a few guys who were members and left for delgany, it’s also dearer than the Heath.

    Greystones have a 3k joining fee so out of the question.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams


    First Up wrote:
    There's about 6 holes where a beginner is likely to lose one or more balls.

    First Up wrote:
    But best he plays it and decides for himself.


    You could say that about any golf course...btw...it is not long at all off the green Tee's


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,913 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo


    You could say that about any golf course...
    No you couldnt!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭whizbang


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobwilliams
    You could say that about any golf course...
    No you couldnt!

    I dont think i want to bother playing your course so..


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up


    You could say that about any golf course...btw...it is not long at all off the green Tee's

    Not talking about length. A number of greens are protected by water and several holes are designed to encourage badly hit shots into a lot of trouble.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭whizbang


    Green Tee's = 6049

    White's = 6620


    Yards, Not Yarn's.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams


    GreeBo wrote:
    No you couldnt!


    Yeah for a 'begginer' you could probably say that about every single hole.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack


    Yeah for a 'begginer' you could probably say that about every single hole.

    Pretty much, I seem to have a singular talent for losing balls, can lose them anywhere, in any situation, with any club in my hands, haven’t managed it with the putter yet but I’m due any day now;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,913 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo


    Yeah for a 'begginer' you could probably say that about every single hole.

    I wouldn't count "losing" a ball in regular rough the same as I would losing a ball in a water hazard or forest or gorse or hay as examples.

    You could lose a ball in your car also, but I don't think it has any bearing on how difficult a course plays for a beginner.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,913 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo


    whizbang wrote: »
    I dont think i want to bother playing your course so..

    :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor


    The tee shots aren't overly challenging off the green tees. There's a good bit of room. However every single hole offers you the chance to lose a ball in hay or gorse.

    The second shots are the challenge. Most green areas have a section that if you're in you're doing well with a bogey. So don't go in them!

    Green course isn't overly long in summer. But in the winter with no run and cold air it plays long.

    Play the course and make your decision from there. There's still deals to be had in there. Especially 15 month/health club ones.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up


    AhHaor wrote:
    The tee shots aren't overly challenging off the green tees. There's a good bit of room. However every single hole offers you the chance to lose a ball in hay or gorse.


    Or water in some cases.


  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker


    I played Druids Heath yesterday, off the whites in the winter alliance competitions.
    after a decent start I went on a shocking run of holes with scratch after scratch - I felt battered and bruised after the round :). It was a blustery day so scoring was difficult, I think 31 points may have won the competition. The course itself was in very good condition, the greens where quick and receptive. The problem is when I was out of the competition the concentration levels dropped and you start making stupid mistakes around the greens and you are punished severely - but that's not the courses fault. . there is not a single hole on the course where you think this is a straight forward hole. As soon as I was finished the round, I wanted to have another crack at it and try plod my way around and see how that would work. I may be one of the few people who enjoy playing the course - but my golf bag would a lot lighter after the round if I played there every week !  €25.00 to play the competition yesterday which I think is decent value.


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer


    Played the Heath August 2016, loved it for its toughness, played the Glen in June 2017, second course of the day after Rathsallagh, got pissed on and was bollocksed, but thought it was the best parkland I'd played, really thought it was fantastic, so much so as captain of our work society brought them to it at the end of April this year, everyone raved about it. Can't comment what it was like during the drought that was Ireland Summer 2018. Would choose Druid's Glen over Mount Juliet any day (and I'm a Kilkenny man)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Barrelat75


    It would be great to see an Irish company buy the hotel & golf club.


Advertisement