Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a shotgun and hire purchase

Options
  • 28-08-2018 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

What's anyone's thoughts on this and has anyone done it .
    Its fairly new to Ireland Is it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Where ya seeing it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/

One of a number of people/shops now offering it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mark42

aaakev wrote: »
    Where ya seeing it?

Here's a screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

What's the intrest rate for this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

philmire wrote: »
    What's the intrest rate for this

I am open to correction but I think there is a legal obligation to outline the terms of credit on such an advert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Would repossession would be a legal minefield? Having to have the repo agents licensed on the gun prior to collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

yeah in such cases of financing doesn't the title remain with the financier until the goods are paid for in full?

If you licensed it you would be declaring yourself the owner, which you are not by contract. Only bad things will come of this....

unless i am totally wrong i hasten to add....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

SeaFields wrote: »
    I am open to correction but I think there is a legal obligation to outline the terms of credit on such an advert?
    Does that not only apply to credit institutions regulated by the Financial regulator/Central Bank?

If the credit is simply the price of the item spread over a period of time does it require such regulation?

Also there are always two prices to a firearm as we all know. Cash price and trade price. If the RFD applies trade price to all credit sales (IOW he makes a few extra quid offering terms) then is it really credit?
    ganmo wrote: »
    Would repossession would be a legal minefield? Having to have the repo agents licensed on the gun prior to collection?
    Yes, it's why pawn shops are barred (afaik) from taking firearms. Its a legal minefield as you said. As for repossession well there is nothing stopping the RFD from coming out him/herself.

I've seen others offering this service, but they don't hand out the goods until they are paid for. Seems a safer option for the RFD.
    yeah in such cases of financing doesn't the title remain with the financier until the goods are paid for in full?
    Usually but again is this an actual credit line? IOW the RFD is not loaning you the money to pay for goods simply offering the option to takes installments. Not much of a difference, but a subtle one. Iit's like a car dealership giving you the car and taking the money for it in installments without the need for a bank or other finance group.
    If you licensed it you would be declaring yourself the owner, which you are not by contract. Only bad things will come of this....
    No.

Licensing a firearm does not imply ownership. It's why when the Minster said a few years back she could ban a certain type of gun without the need for a compensation scheme she did not realise she was wrong and that ownership is different to possession.

You can have a firearm licensed but not be the owner, it's how the training licenses and joint licenses work. Also AGS/DoJ don't care who owns/paid for the firearm only that it is legal and licensed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Patrick carley does this. Its a great idea i think for people who want a high end clay gun perazzi blaser etc and cant throw 3k + straight away.

• Advertisement

So you get the gun upfront? (licensed of course) and pay it off over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

So you get the gun upfront? (licensed of course) and pay it off over time?

No personal experience with it but i believe that is the case yes. Anyway its noting to do with the dealer its a finance company like close brothers you would be repaying. Rfd is happy out as he is already paid

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

With the above plan you can finance the full price of the item or pay a deposit and pay the balance through finance. Once finance is approved the RFD gets paid he’s balance or in full for the item and is released to the person that financed it. It is now out of the RFDs hand and soley in the hands of the finance company. Up to the finance company to collect the money owed and not the RFD on behave of the finance company.

Advertisement