Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

180 km daily commute - which ev?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

meep wrote: »
    Well, there are a few charge points en route but exactly what I’d hope to avoid would be stopping off for a ten min top up that takes over an hour because there’s a queue.

Or a lot more than an hour. You're damn right. Driving 180km every day + working a full working day is as much as anyone can handle day in day out. You need zero grief on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq would do this perfectly fine at 120 indicated.
    I generally drive at 140 indicated if I'm in at the weekends and still get 165km range to empty, still below 20kWh/100km even with heating on full blast.

If you drive at 120km/h indicated on the motorway segment and the speed limit at the rest the Ioniq will do that trip no problem. I'm doing 4-5km per 4 week cycle in the Ioniq and about 80-85% of that is motorway. You can drive carefully at 100-110 and get below 11.5kWh/100km but if I wanted to drive slowly I'd get a leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well, there are a few charge points en route but exactly what I’d hope to avoid would be stopping off for a ten min top up that takes over an hour because there’s a queue.

Driving a little under speed limit (a limit, not a target!) wouldn’t be an issue for me as I don’t tend to drive fast in any case.

Might be just worth getting a demo leaf to try out......

I appreciate my exact scenario is right on the limit, that’s why I’m seeking opinions. Thanks again.

Your scenario of being right on the limit is why you're the ideal candidate for maximum savings!

As for queuing, you can check on the app is a certain chargepoint is free before you get there. Mightn't be 100% accurate, but should help.

You won't need to worry about chargepoints anyway! Get your new EV!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just slow down if you need too. Christ , how long do you have to work daily, to pay for what that diesel and any repairs, servicing cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I think that this is a good example of a use case where the OP should be willing to consider some limited compromise because the realistic gains are too great to ignore.... My suggestions / comments
    1. Going at indicated speed limit for this commute would leave it very very close.
    2. Going at 90% of indicated speed limit should make it reasonably comfortable - i.e. - should do it with 5%-10% left
    3. Getting access to any work based external plug or charger (even if you needed to pay for it yourself) would be absolutely worth it -- I would really put home this point, explore all avenues - explain to your employee that you can pay for it yourself, explain to them that even just a simple external socket would do...
    4. If you have access to a rapid charger on route then using it on the occasional freezing and stormy days would not be the end of the world. You should be able to judge if you need it based on your consumption on that particular day in those particular conditions (Being stuck at a charger for 20 or 30 minutes really is not that much of a chore, it's "me time" to relax a bit.
    5. Get a demo car for the week / weekend, and just do your actual journey a few times. Do it good an early in the morning - it's autumn now and it's nice and cool in the mornings.
    6. Given the fact that you could easily save €4k+ a year on fuel, I would really consider the above and try to make it work

Finally - don't lose sight of the significant impact reduced speed has on range when traveling on motorways. I get less range then most other posters on motorways, probably because when I travel on motorways I rarely encounter traffic or reduced speeds.
    If you are traveling in an urban or suburban area this is not the case. For example my efficiency between Lexlip and Dublin airport is normally at least 15%-20% better than my efficiency between Galway and Lexlip.... because I might be on a motorway, but I've no longer averaging 120-130kmph....

In summary – work all options to get access to any form of charging at work. In addition get a demo for a few days and repeat your journey 4 or 5 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

But would it not make sense to wait for the kona. Certainly easier to sell on the future. He may be able to live with the restrictions but the potential buyers in the future will have to as well.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ioniq would do this perfectly fine at 120 indicated.
    I generally drive at 140 indicated if I'm in at the weekends and still get 165km range to empty

A word of caution here. This summer has seen unbelievable ranges in Ioniq. You are used to this now, but it won't be like that in winter and also not next summer

I reset my consumption figure right at the start of summer and nearly 3 months later it shows 12.0kWh/100km. That's always is sports mode, driving it real hard and a good bit on the motorway network around Dublin (never below speed limit if I can help it)

And everytime I charge the car at home overnight I come down to a car with a 230-240km range. Real life range. With a light foot and not going faster than Leafspeed, I've no doubt it would not be hard to get over 300km

But it wasn't like this last summer. So we need to get a reality check here!

unkel wrote: »
    A word of caution here. This summer has seen unbelievable ranges in Ioniq. You are used to this now, but it won't be like that in winter and also not next summer

I reset my consumption figure right at the start of summer and nearly 3 months later it shows 12.0kWh/100km. That's always is sports mode, driving it real hard and a good bit on the motorway network around Dublin (never below speed limit if I can help it)

And everytime I charge the car at home overnight I come down to a car with a 230-240km range. Real life range. With a light foot and not going faster than Leafspeed, I've no doubt it would not be hard to get over 300km

But it wasn't like this last summer. So we need to get a reality check here!
    My gom shows around 170-175 generally so it's indicative of how I'm driving that yours shows 230-240!.

I know the weather was good/great in the heatwave but there were drives in torrential driving rain in my ownership too. I think that 187km round trip is doable all year round at speeds of 110-120 indicated. Go at 110 in the depths of winter if you need to use the heating but otherwise should be doable at 120 expecially if you preheat. I got 180+ going at 125km/h indicated with over 20km on the gom during a dublin to cork motorway drive earlier in the year remember :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What about the newer Zoe ,171 + have the 300 km real world range, should be sufficient enen in winter.

What about the newer Zoe ,171 + have the 300 km real world range, should be sufficient enen in winter.

Nope. Renault themselves say 300km in summer and 200km in winter. But that is in mixed driving. Real life 120km/h motorway range in winter is less than Ioniq

• Advertisement

Yes but the Zoe is a gen1 car with a bigger battery shoved in, no fast charging (it takes over 1 hour to charge even the Q cars rated for 43kW to 80%) and very slow and small car.

I can think of many things I'd like to do more than spend 2 hours+ a day in a Zoe, such as eating my own hat.

Nope. Renault themselves say 300km in summer and 200km in winter. But that is in mixed driving. Real life 120km/h motorway range in winter is less than Ioniq

This dude did Dublin to Galway and reverse,one charge each time,and had 40+km in charge remaining each time..may not be the most joyus place to be but it is a alternative choice ..

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-reviews/could-little-electric-zoe-go-coast-to-coast-on-one-charge-36305932.html

He drove very slowly. Which is not only dangerous but also the last thing you want to do on your daily 180km commute.

Ioniq and L40 can also do Dublin to Galway without charging when driven slowly. Take my word for it, Zoe 41kWh has less range than Ioniq 28kWh at 120km/h in winter

If I were the OP I'd get a Kona 64kWh and never have to think about range again. Drive well over the speed limits too as long as the traffic / weather allows.

This dude did Dublin to Galway and reverse,one charge each time,and had 40+km in charge remaining each time..may not be the most joyus place to be but it is a alternative choice ..

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-reviews/could-little-electric-zoe-go-coast-to-coast-on-one-charge-36305932.html

AT 90 km/h, I'd rather eat my own face.

Haha fair enough , no Zoe for ye guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

If I were the OP I'd get a Kona 64kWh and never have to think about range again. Drive well over the speed limits too as long as the traffic / weather allows.

This reads like sage advice.

It is also likely to keep its value well. There's no other budget EV on the horizon that can do that kind of range except the Kia Niro (Kia is a sister company of Hyundai)

Long range Ioniq and L60 are pipe dreams for now. And you'll be talking a lot more money for the new VW / Audi range or the Tesla Model 3, none of those will be here for at least another 2 years. And it looks like we indeed will be getting the Ionity CCS chargers very soon

So I had a sit in a (regular) Kona today.

We're actually going about getting a second runabout (looking at i10 and i20) so took the opportunity at the Hyundai dealership to have a peek at a Kona.

Coming from Xtrail, it's quite small with a deficit of rear passenger space. I understand the electric version is a tad longer but I'm not sure if that equates to more passenger space. Otherwise, it felt perfectly fine.

However, I did a quick PCP check on a 37K car using my XTRail as trade in at 5.6% over 2 years. It works out at €341 p/m (13K gfv).
    Given I predict I'll be spending ~300 p/m on fuel for my commute, that essentially equates to a 'free' Kona EV for me as I'd expect servioving over 2 years on Kona would be somewhat less that on a 4 year old diesel.

As a point of reference, the car salesman regaled us of a story of a customer who traded his diesel Avensis for an iconiq. He puts up 45K KMs p/a and has worked out his iConiq is costing him €20 p/m in electricity (night-rate home charging with 'free' top-up at work).

He puts up 45K KMs p/a and has worked out his iConiq is costing him €20 p/m in electricity (night-rate home charging with 'free' top-up at work).

Ioniq is roughly €100 per year per 10k km at nightrate, so without work charging it would still only cost him less than €40 per month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

So I had a sit in a (regular) Kona today.

However, I did a quick PCP check on a 37K car using my XTRail as trade in at 5.6% over 2 years. It works out at €341 p/m (13K gfv).

that PCP is based on what mileage per year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

ewj1978 wrote: »

and was the value net of grants/discounts?

was talking with a dealer re niro & he didn't know what way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Right I have a solution to this commute - two Leaf 24Kwh - one at work and one at home :-)

Orebro wrote: »
    Right I have a solution to this commute - two Leaf 24Kwh - one at work and one at home :-)
    A taxi user in gorey did that for years and was hated by everyone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

ELM327 wrote: »
    A taxi user in gorey did that for years and was hated by everyone :P

orebro is halfway there already. Just needs the taxis!! :D:D

ewj1978 wrote: »

Think I plugged in 15K, but it was a generic 'first google response' calculator for a very quick & dirty idea.

daheff wrote: »
    and was the value net of grants/discounts?

was talking with a dealer re niro & he didn't know what way to do it

I set purchase value at 36K with 18K trade in (is 50% even allowed?)

Advertisement