Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

180 km daily commute - which ev?

Options
  • 28-08-2018 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

I’m starting a new job which necessitates a ~180km total daily round trip. (87 km each way), to be exact

This will be ~50 km N-roads and 130 km motorway (1x toll).

There is no option for charging at the workplace or even nearby so I’m looking at options that would cover that distance on a single charge, year round.

The EV approach appeals greatly but having been through a lot of the iconic and leaf threads, this journey seems to be right on the limit of practicality. Would that be a fair assessment or have I missed something?

I’d be especially concerned about reduced range in winter as well as battery capacity reducing over time.

A charge on the way home would be possible but not practical and if necessary, would probably cause me not to go down the ev route, just yet.

I like the look and toys of the leaf a little more. Currently drive an xtrail and like that. Don’t especially like the Hyundai interiors and while waiting for a kona might be an option, I’m not sure I’d be inspired by the Hyundai feel (had a gen 2 Santa Fe for a while).

So, any insights on whether either a leaf or iconic would be a practical solution for me or should I put things on hold for a year?

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

celtic_oz wrote: »

Thanks. Was actually thinking of new l40 leaf. Will that one you linked to do 180km without recharge? Wouldn’t think so from what I’ve been reading so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

For an easy life, a new 40 kWh Leaf or Ioniq will cover you year round.

Within 12 months, there'll be a newer Leaf, a Kona and a Niro that'll probably do double that commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

meep wrote: »
    Thanks. Was actually thinking of new l40 leaf. Will that one you linked to do 180km without recharge? Wouldn’t think so from what I’ve been reading so far.

Not a hope a L24 doing that range and the L30 would not do it in depths of Winter

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Realistically there is nothing currently on the market that will do that without giving you serious range anxiety in winter. Obviously the Jag I pace or Tesla model S would do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

redlead wrote: »
    Realistically there is nothing currently on the market that will do that without giving you serious range anxiety in winter. Obviously the Jag I pace or Tesla model S would do the trick.

Leaf 40kwh and ioniq would do it all day long in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, you rich? If so Tesla S with range of over 500 km
    Hyundai Ioniq Electric is around 200 km

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Some of the Nissan garages will let you borrow one of the new Leafs for 1-2 days to try it out if you are genuinely considering it, you could then give your commute a go and see how comfortable you feel about it. If you arrive home with anything like 10-20km left I'd be giving it a pass as the smallest detour or need to keep the heat on could scupper you some day.

biko wrote: »
    OP, you rich? If so Tesla S with range of over 500 km
    Hyundai Ioniq Electric is around 200 km

Unfortunately not, Biko. Is that 200km realistic on single charge and all-year round practical? If so, it might fit the bill.

Tesla would be nice but it financially, it needs to be a Leaf or Ioniq at the moment - unless new job goes spectacularly well!

I'm actually at a bit of a crux. We're a one car familiy but with this new commute for me and a 17 year old hankering to learn to drive, we need to look seriously at significant motoring change.

I'll run the Xtrail for about a month on the commute to see what it's really costing in fuel and then look at either keeping it and buying a nippy runabout for wife/daughter or trading it in against two cars which between them will need to fill the role of commuter, comfortable family car, local runabout and starter/learner.

Older leaf would be ideal for runabout but this needs to double as learner and so needs to be stick shift.

Somewhere in that mix is a hankering for an EV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Wouldn't bother with the stick shift. Its all going EV so no need for the manual driving licence anymore.
    No EV within your price range will make your trip in winter. 
    94ah bmw i3 rex will probably be a stretch for your budget aswell.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with the stick shift Its all going EV so no need for the manual driving licence anymore.

I've a feeling she's going to be a classic beetle kind of girl, and no harm at all in learning to drive (and have a full licence for) manual - they're going to be around for a few years yet - why impose limits?

Wouldn't bother with the stick shift. Its all going EV so no need for the manual driving licence anymore.

Thanks. Was hoping for the hard truth rather than the might/maybe. Deep down, I figured I'd need to wait for next gen range increases (or save for that Tesla!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

meep wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with the stick shift Its all going EV so no need for the manual driving licence anymore.

I've a feeling she's going to be a classic beetle kind of girl, and no harm at all in learning to drive (and have a full licence for)  manual - they're going to be around for a few years yet - why impose limits?
    Quicker to learn to drive without the manual.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Quicker to learn to drive without the manual.

I learned myself in an auto, did the test and got an 'auto limited' licence. I had to retake it again a year later to get the 'full' licence. I found it to be a colossal waste of time (as well as finding myself in the odd position of needing to hold 2x drivers licences simultaneously - a full licence for auto and a provisional for manual).

I'm not saying I don't agree with your points, it's just that I'd be very keen to encourage offspring to get their licence sorted asap. (I have relatives who 'never bothered' to learn and see them struggle with growing families etc).

Bit OT. Sorry.

What's the OP's price range?

I'll say it again, an Ioniq or a new Leaf will make that commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What about the BMW i3 with range extender?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

You could hang out for this. Should easily cover the distance you want http://m.hyundai.ie/home/kona-ev-coming-soon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

A leaf 30, not a hope in the winter, best you'd get is 160km.
    IMHO at 187km an Ioniq would be a stretch in the winter.(await all the Ioniq lads bashing me :P)
    A L40 should be ok in the winter if you don't 120km/hr it up the motorway section.(as UNKEL would like to say "leaf speed" would be needed)
    A 94AH i3 rex would do it, but you'd need to burn some fuel each day.
    The new Kona will smash it. I understand your Santa fe comments but they're different beasts all together.
    Have you looked at the Zoe at all? The 40kw would manage it easily too.

A winter comparison.(doesn't have Leaf 40)

https://insideevs.com/tested-real-world-range-of-8-of-europes-most-popular-electric-cars/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

187km in an Ioniq on a cold wet winters day at 120km/hr would be pushing your luck. Saying that you could probably do Leaf speed and be fine :)

The Zoe 40 is a reasonable choice, the 22kW "slow" charger could be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I would politely disagree. If driving at or close to the indicated speed limit then you would be lucky to do 180km in an ioniq, especially if any adverse weather, hills etc . My commute is 130... 105 on motorway, 25 on slower (80km) roads.... My GOM is constantly at 179km fully charged.
    For the OP he would need to a.) Reduce speed b.) Get access to external plug for granny charge at least c.) Carry spare underwear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I would politely disagree. If driving at or close to the indicated speed limit then you would be lucky to do 180km in an ioniq, especially if any adverse weather, hills etc . My commute is 130... 105 on motorway, 25 on slower (80km) roads.... My GOM is constantly at 179km fully charged.
    For the OP he would need to a.) Reduce speed b.) Get access to external plug for granny charge at least c.) Carry spare underwear

I'm basing my experience on 20 months of driving the Ioniq. 187 is just doable, but I would not want to put myself in that circumstance. When doing a motorway run I plan my charges at 160km and usually have 15/20km left. Cruise set to 125km/h.

It can be done, but I wouldn't plan it unless every petrol station had two rapids!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

As others have said, a new 40kw leaf or an ioniq would probably do it most of the time - but NOT at motorway speeds.
    To be honest, it is probably just beyond the comfort zone of most of the standard EV's available at the moment.
    Most EV drivers grow out of range anxiety fairly quickly and replace it with range awareness - at that distance the anxiety would be ongoing -
    an accident diversion, wind, rain, snow, etc, and you could find yourself in trouble very easily.

Thanks all for the realistic responses. Sounds like I'll be waiting another year for my first step into EV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

liamog wrote: »
    187km in an Ioniq on a cold wet winters day at 120km/hr would be pushing your luck. Saying that you could probably do Leaf speed and be fine :)

The Zoe 40 is a reasonable choice, the 22kW "slow" charger could be very handy.

Don’t forget, only 130km of the journey is on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Reassess the job ?

That commute is plenty long. And mines long but i do it on a motorbike and enjoy it. Your commute is 28% longer than mine.

Sure you really want the job that much ?

Do the N roads at N road speed, and do the motorway at 110km/h, and you'll be grand.

What are you going to lose? 10 minutes each way for zero anxiety and massive fuel savings.

I think you'd be mad to wait another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Soarer wrote: »
    Do the N roads at N road speed, and do the motorway at 110km/h, and you'll be grand.

What are you going to lose? 10 minutes each way for zero anxiety and massive fuel savings.

This.
    The new Leaf would manage it fine if you stick below 110km/h. You'll save a fortune in fuel with that commute.

Good that the OP is considering degradation though. Say 3% degradation per year then on year 3 with up to 10% less range, on a wet and windy winter day with heater on the whole way, both directions, then you could be looking at getting close to the limit I'd say.

But on those days, drive a bit slower if range starts to look dodgy, or there'll more than likely be more FCPs available, so stop for 10 minutes (I'm assuming there's not one on your route at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Soarer wrote: »

This post makes the most sense. Ioniq can do that trip at motorway speed limit on most days (not 100% confident that Leaf can do it), but if you have a particularly cold / wet day just drive at 110km/h. Both those cars should be fine. What's the problem? Your savings on fuel will be massive, many thousands per year. The fuel saving will 100% pay for you buying a new car. Free brand new car :cool:

But what would take all your worries away is a Kona that could do your commute. Twice. Without charging. In the showrooms shortly. List price expected to be about €35k

_dof_ wrote: »
    This.

But on those days, drive a bit slower if range starts to look dodgy, or there'll more than likely be more FCPs available, so stop for 10 minutes (I'm assuming there's not one on your route at the moment)

Well, there are a few charge points en route but exactly what I’d hope to avoid would be stopping off for a ten min top up that takes over an hour because there’s a queue.

Driving a little under speed limit (a limit, not a target!) wouldn’t be an issue for me as I don’t tend to drive fast in any case.

Might be just worth getting a demo leaf to try out......

I appreciate my exact scenario is right on the limit, that’s why I’m seeking opinions. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    This post makes the most sense. Ioniq can do that trip at motorway speed limit on most days (not 100% confident that Leaf can do it), but if you have a particularly cold / wet day just drive at 110km/h. Both those cars should be fine. What's the problem? Your savings on fuel will be massive, many thousands per year. The fuel saving will 100% pay for you buying a new car. Free brand new car :cool:

But what would take all your worries away is a Kona that could do your commute. Twice. Without charging. In the showrooms shortly. List price expected to be about €35k

Indeed. I’ve worked out that my fuel/toll bill would be about €4k p/a. I’ll have a more accurate estimate when I’ve done a month of it. That’s where the incentive is for me.

Advertisement