Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition fees on the rise.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Seve OB wrote: »
    Nope.
    I would expect better prizes.

Not necessarily. Prizes are wholly dependant on the generosity of the competition sponsor. In the last year, where I'm a country member, I've won a competition and got a €40 voucher for the pro shop. A few weeks later, different sponsor, I won my section and got a €70 voucher. In my home club, all prizes are cash applied to your GUI card and are with the exception of about 3 comps a year, funded by the competition fees

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Not necessarily. Prizes are wholly dependant on the generosity of the competition sponsor. In the last year, where I'm a country member, I've won a competition and got a €40 voucher for the pro shop. A few weeks later, different sponsor, I won my section and got a €70 voucher. In my home club, all prizes are cash applied to your GUI card and are with the exception of about 3 comps a year, funded by the competition fees

Different comps will bring different prizes. EG. Medals might have slightly better prizes that the run of the mill weekly comps.

You would expect that a club has a standard prize structure. If they don't, then IMO, that's bad management. Prizes should come out of the entries. if the event is sponsored, then there are still entries, so by default the prize pool is going to be bigger or else the prize pool may stay the same and the surplus can go towards the running of the club. A decent club will tell sponsors it costs X amount to sponsor the Wednesday comp or whatever. If someone wants to sponsor less, sure the club should accept it, but that shouldn't mean the prize fund would be lower. If someone wants to sponsor more and give bigger and better prizes, well then that proves my point.

Possibly some smaller clubs will structure their prize fund based on numbers playing, especially if it is coming out of the entries on the day, rather than averaged out over a normal period.

So in your case, I would imagine, €40 is the normal prize week in week out. But then you won again in a better sponsored comp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

€6 regular and €15 major.

Dont have a problem with it really as i'm spend more money on much worse things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Seve OB wrote: »
    Different comps will bring different prizes. EG. Medals might have slightly better prizes that the run of the mill weekly comps.

You would expect that a club has a standard prize structure. If they don't, then IMO, that's bad management. Prizes should come out of the entries. if the event is sponsored, then there are still entries, so by default the prize pool is going to be bigger or else the prize pool may stay the same and the surplus can go towards the running of the club. A decent club will tell sponsors it costs X amount to sponsor the Wednesday comp or whatever. If someone wants to sponsor less, sure the club should accept it, but that shouldn't mean the prize fund would be lower. If someone wants to sponsor more and give bigger and better prizes, well then that proves my point.

Possibly some smaller clubs will structure their prize fund based on numbers playing, especially if it is coming out of the entries on the day, rather than averaged out over a normal period.

So in your case, I would imagine, €40 is the normal prize week in week out. But then you won again in a better sponsored comp

The club in question are struggling financially and entry fees afaik are being used to help fund the club and pay staff. My home club are flying at the minute and have a set prize structure outside of the bigger comps

Advertisement