Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal paperwork

Options
  • 23-08-2018 2:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭

I've a licence that expires on 01/11/2018. Haven't received renewal paperwork. Anyone else waiting in/around that expiry date?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I have 2 renewals received a week ago and the expiry date is 31/10/18.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

270WIN wrote: »
    I have 2 renewals received a week ago and the expiry date is 31/10/18.

Exact same here, dated 28 July, but not received until 15 August. Very late this year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Five received in the last five weeks. Renewal/expiry date is between 14 to 31 of October. Within the 3 months time frame, but just.

However the FO in my district is pretty much on the ball and has them within a day or two and processed soon after. Might have to spread them out otherwise i'm facing a €400 bill all at once, and i'm due another two, at least, before the end of this month.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

Mine will sit on the FO's desk for weeks, and will require numerous calls to get things moving :mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aiwaz

I filled in the renewal paperwork well before the deadline about 6 weeks ago. Heard nothing so placed a follow up call about 2 weeks ago and this week received a call requesting range attendance records for the last 3 years. There is simply no sense of urgency in processing paperwork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Aiwaz wrote: »
    .......this week received a call requesting range attendance records for the last 3 years....

'Range attendence records' ...... surely proof of membership, past and present, is all that would be required. Our gun club has issued a few letters of confirmation of membership but as yet no request for members activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aiwaz wrote: »
    I filled in the renewal paperwork well before the deadline about 6 weeks ago. Heard nothing so placed a follow up call about 2 weeks ago and this week received a call requesting range attendance records for the last 3 years. There is simply no sense of urgency in processing paperwork!

As a matter of interest, on what basis could the Gardaí determine that you hadn't attended the range enough times to warrant them issuing a renewal? There is nothing written down that states a minimum number of times that you have to attend the range.

Seriously though, as long as you have attended once in the three years, I'd consider that you've fulfilled your legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aiwaz

...I'm as baffled as youse are but curious at this stage also.
    There's no statutory instrument indicating min/max attendance so I'll get the info/letter, whatever and send on.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, on what basis could the Gardaetermine that you hadn't attended the range enough times to warrant them issuing a renewal? There is nothing written down that states a minimum number of times that you have to attend the range.

Seriously though, as long as you have attended once in the three years, I'd consider that you've fulfilled your legal requirement.

I think you have to attend once in the last six month period.

S.I. No. 308 of 2009
    FIREARMS (AUTHORISATION OF RIFLE OR PISTOL CLUBS) REGULATIONS 2009

S.I. No. 308 of 2009
    FIREARMS (AUTHORISATION OF RIFLE OR PISTOL

That S.I. only requires ranges to keep records of who hasn't attended the range for 6 months. That's not the same as requiring someone to attend at least once every 6 months.

• Advertisement

rsole1 wrote: »

S.I. No. 308 of 2009
    FIREARMS (AUTHORISATION OF RIFLE OR PISTOL CLUBS) REGULATIONS 2009
    Do you mean this piece of the SI?
    (e) the name of each member who holds a firearm certificate and who has not participated in any of the shooting functions organised by the club in the preceding 6 months.
    While it makes keeping record of attendance a mandatory function of the range including those not in attendance for the last six months no other SI or law that i know of actually requires that the person attend a given/set amount of times.

However common sense, and at the discretion of the Super/Chief Super, would dictate that if you apply for a firearm for target shooting and you don't actually target shoot then the good reason for wanting the firearm is moot/void and therefore "unnecessary".

I brought my attendance records to one interview with my Chief Super. not because i was asked, but because i wanted to show that my reason for wanting a certain restricted firearm was valid and my claims of being a regular competitive shooter was also true. The Chief Super glanced at them, laughed at the amount of visits to the range (i had something like 160 that year) and i got the firearm.

Now competition attendance is not a prerequisite of being granted a firearm only range attendance. Referencing the above quoted part of the SI any day the range is open and i go, i've effectively attended an event organised by the club. At least that is how i read it.

With the range being required to keep records of attendance if someone only attended once in the the three year period of their license then i'd imagine they have failed to fulfill the "Good Reason" of their license and may find it being revoked unless they provide good reason for their poor attendance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

^^^^^^
    Just to be an argumentative so-and-so, common sense doesn't feature very highly when it comes to the law. If there's no minimum number of attendances written down in law, how can the Gardai say that once isn't enough? If they did that, wouldn't that then be an example of the Gardai making up the law?

...... wouldn't that then be an example of the Gardai making up the law?

Yes and no.

Yes in that if the law does not strictly prohibit or forbid something by specifying it in an Act or SI then if it went to court you have the law on your side and could argue that the criteria of simply being a member is all the law states with no attendance required, or at the very least one visit per license cycle.

No in that the same common sense you say is not featured highly by AGS/Law will be used by a Judge in their interpretation of the law. In court the Judge, while adhering to the law, would also cite the non use of a firearm via the records of attendance to question the reason for A) having the firearm in the first place and B) renewing it upon revocation/refusal.

Advertisement