Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to UK without a passport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Getting a GB Passport is quick and easy as well Andy if you have had one previously. I did mine last year, on line part done in about 15/20 minutes, print off the forms to verify your identity, gives you a whole list of who can confirm it, including Nurses, Publicans, Clergy, Government Officals, etc etc, send the forms off to Belfast, and will have back in the next week or two.

My Irish Passport took 5-6 weeks to renew, but this was just before the On Line option was launched.

Do you have any other right to Irish Passport such as parents, etc, etc. Should not cost a €1000 if so.

Other than that, fly with another Airline, and from/to a different Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Getting a GB Passport is quick and easy as well Andy if you have had one previously. I did mine last year, on line part done in about 15/20 minutes, print off the forms to verify your identity, gives you a whole list of who can confirm it, including Nurses, Publicans, Clergy, Government Officals, etc etc, send the forms off to Belfast, and will have back in the next week or two.

My Irish Passport took 5-6 weeks to renew, but this was just before the On Line option was launched.

Do you have any other right to Irish Passport such as parents, etc, etc. Should not cost a €1000 if so.

God, I have an existing out of date UK passport from the 90's if I havent chucked it out at some stage - so the form has to go back to belfast then not Dublin, right I didnt know that.

the wife has dual nationality , kids have Irish passports - its just me the odd one out (odd being the right word)

not good being a passenger in a car for long journeys, dunno how I would be on a trip from sligo to Belfast drive whats that about 2 and half hours drive is it?- thats why I wanted to go to knockairport only about 30 mins and a hour flight to luton and no long car travel in UK getting from another airport to see the rest of the family in Luton.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

God, I have an existing out of date UK passport from the 90's if I havent chucked it out at some stage - so the form has to go back to belfast then not Dublin, right I didnt know that.

the wife has dual nationality , kids have Irish passports - its just me the odd one out (odd being the right word)

not good being a passenger in a car for long journeys, dunno how I would be on a trip from sligo to Belfast drive whats that about 2 and half hours drive is it?- thats why I wanted to go to knockairport only about 30 mins and a hour flight to luton and no long car travel in UK getting from another airport to see the rest of the family in Luton.

You need to find solutions not more problems. There's always a way. Start with looking for your old passport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

Publicans!? Really? Wow. :eek:

SteM wrote: »

if they know you then why not LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

murpho999 wrote: »
    If there is a hard Brexit, which is probable, and a border comes back then why would we not join Schengen?

If we joined Schengen, the first thing that would happen is that all of the would-be refugees currently camped out in Calais (all of whom ultimately are seeking to get to the UK) would be on the next ferry to Rosslare.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The list of occupations who can sign a British passport application is much broader than for Irish ones.

You apply through gov.uk. The printed forms you return to the GB Passport office in Belfast, am guessing this is down to having an Irish address.

My previous GB Passport has expired 10 years previously (still had it), and easier, and probably more straight foeward, than renewing my Irish Passport through the then Passport Express, which had only expired that month.

Yes. Generally, for UK residents, its a member of the Clergy and/or one or two occupations that can verify identity. If out side the UK the list is much more extensive, but the Passport office will ask for the their ID, address, contact details, etc etc, if they require further infomation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

murpho999 wrote: »
    What other type is there?

The new credit card size licence (also pink) has new security features that make forgery difficult.

Either way UK & Ireland is a free travel zone as agreed by treaty so the scenario you describe has existed for decades, even at the height of the troubles, it's only Ryanair who have implemented the passport policy, not UK border forces.

I ment the cardboard one that every transition year has copied to allow them to drink. :)

Anyone with a scanner, a colour printer and photoshop would be able to gt by the quick ryanair check as you board the aircraft.

Aer Lingus to Gatwick, and ThamesLink Trains, from Gatwick to Luton, may be an option if you cant get the Passport in time.

• Advertisement

Birmingham to Luton would be about the same by train, a couple of hours, might be another option from Knock. IF FlyBe ID policy allowed driving licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dingding wrote: »
    Birmingham to Luton would be about the same by train, a couple of hours, might be another option from Knock. IF FlyBe ID policy allowed driving licenses.

They do

You apply through gov.uk. The printed forms you return to the GB Passport office in Belfast, am guessing this is down to having an Irish address.

My previous GB Passport has expired 10 years previously (still had it), and easier, and probably more straight foeward, than renewing my Irish Passport through the then Passport Express, which had only expired that month.

Yes. Generally, for UK residents, its a member of the Clergy and/or one or two occupations that can verify identity. If out side the UK the list is much more extensive, but the Passport office will ask for the their ID, address, contact details, etc etc, if they require further infomation.

thanks - yep I shall have to get one

train journeys got awful expensive in UK

i'd say Birmingham to Luton pretty pricey

train journeys got awful expensive in UK

i'd say Birmingham to Luton pretty pricey

Train journeys can be booked up to three months in advance, and can work cheaper if you book a specific service/route. Bear in mind though, if you do book to be on the 3.30pm from birmingham, dont get on the 3.20 or 3.40. You can be fined, fined plus the full fare, fined and put off and the next stop, etc etc etc.

Check out thetrainline.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You're in sligo. There's a bus to Dublin airport.

Then take a flight with an airline that accepts driving licence.

It really is that simple.

TRain Sligo to Luton about 150 return (depending on service) including ferry.

https://www.thetrainline.com/information/rail-and-sail

What about if you went over the border and flew from there? What ID would be required for say an Easy jet. flight to luton

What about if you went over the border and flew from there? What ID would be required for say an Easy jet. flight to luton

i dont know - I shall have to check that out.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You're in sligo. There's a bus to Dublin airport.

Then take a flight with an airline that accepts driving licence.

It really is that simple.

but as i said , not good as a passenger in a car on long journeys (travel sick even with a travel sick tablet), not good as a driver on long journeys (tend to get tired and nearly fall asleep :eek:) - don't like busses (travel sick & other passengers on the bus :eek:)

i'm a nightmare of a person really - I cannot even stand flying (think the plane is going to crash and hate turbulence) ferry takes too long and long ol journey (2 and half hours to dublin - 4 hours on ferry - 4 hours to get from wales to luton - god what a lousy long trip!)

what I could do with is for someone to knock me out with an injection then fall asleep in Sligo and wake up in Luton airport ... that would be grand . I bet Sligo general could arrange that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Are you 4? It's sounds like it.

but as i said , not good as a passenger in a car on long journeys (travel sick even with a travel sick tablet), not good as a driver on long journeys (tend to get tired and nearly fall asleep :eek:) - don't like busses (travel sick & other passengers on the bus :eek:)

i'm a nightmare of a person really - I cannot even stand flying (think the plane is going to crash and hate turbulence) ferry takes too long and long ol journey (2 and half hours to dublin - 4 hours on ferry - 4 hours to get from wales to luton - god what a lousy long trip!)

what I could do with is for someone to knock me out with an injection then fall asleep in Sligo and wake up in Luton airport ... that would be grand . I bet Sligo general could arrange that :)

Looks like the only option is to get a passport and fly knock to Luton.

dingding wrote: »
    Looks like the only option is to get a passport and fly knock to Luton.

Yes, that's what I am going to have to do I reckon, there's no easier way. Its a handy airport the knock one.

Couldn't be easier to get a British passport.
    Apply online, get form signed, send it off, passport back in few weeks.

Do you never go on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bubblypop wrote: »
    Couldn't be easier to get a British passport.
    Apply online, get form signed, send it off, passport back in few weeks.

Do you never go on holidays?

What's with the stupid questions? The guy obviously travels very rarely or else he'd have a passport.

Good luck with your quest Andy. Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

Just a warning - I used to sail and rail through holyhead quite frequently. They've really clamped down on the checks in recent years and the last time I went they insisted I needed a passport. I had a huge fight with the guy - I actually did have my passport with me, but it felt like they were trying to role back the common travel area pre-Brexit in ways they don't have a right to. Anyway had to produce passport in the end, and a load of other people were shuffled off in a corner so don't know what happened to them.

You used to be able to wander off the ferry with no checks in either direction, I don't know how commonly they do it now but I've had two trips after Brexit where there was mobile passport checkers so I'd say its not worth risking it.

OscarBluth wrote: »
    Just a warning - I used to sail and rail through holyhead quite frequently. They've really clamped down on the checks in recent years and the last time I went they insisted I needed a passport. I had a huge fight with the guy - I actually did have my passport with me, but it felt like they were trying to role back the common travel area pre-Brexit in ways they don't have a right to. Anyway had to produce passport in the end, and a load of other people were shuffled off in a corner so don't know what happened to them.

You used to be able to wander off the ferry with no checks in either direction, I don't know how commonly they do it now but I've had two trips after Brexit where there was mobile passport checkers so I'd say its not worth risking it.

Yes I used to do the ferry trips on sealink in the 90s Holyhead to Dun laoire without any problems and didn't get stopped

OscarBluth wrote: »
    I've had two trips after Brexit.

Are you posting from the future??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There is no requirement for an Irish citizen traveling in the CTA to provide a passport.
    It's a bit of an anomaly as you must prove your citizenship to avail of the exemption.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you posting from the future??

Haha - most proably meant "after the Brexit Vote was won in the referendum" - but then you most probably knew that :)

Advertisement