Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to UK without a passport?

Options
  • 22-08-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

worth an ask - I have no passport at the moment, no passport at all. when I want to fly over to UK in the past I have had to go with flybe from knock to Birmingham because they accept a Driving Licence as ID - my preferred route is knock to Luton by Ryaniar but they wont (or didnt used to) accept drivers licence as ID and want a passport.

Just wondering why one airline will accept drivers licence and the other doesnt? - is it just different policy, or red tape or is there something more to it. and does anyone have any other workaround of flying with Ryanair without a passport?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus, BA, CityJet, Flybe all accept drivers licences

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Aer Lingus, BA, CityJet, Flybe all accept drivers licences

ya but none of them dont do a knock to luton run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus do operate Knock Gatwick however

Aer Lingus do operate Knock Gatwick however

yeah done that journey before, longer journey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Would it not be easier to just get a passport - is there some reason that you don't want/can't get a passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The online application only takes a few days. I had to renew mine last week, took a photo with my phone and filled in the form on a Sunday evening. Took less than 15 mins to complete. Had my passport 4 days later on the Thursday. I'm living in Germany so you would probably get it even quicker in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

jester77 wrote: »
    The online application only takes a few days. I had to renew mine last week, took a photo with my phone and filled in the form on a Sunday evening. Took less than 15 mins to complete. Had my passport 4 days later on the Thursday. I'm living in Germany so you would probably get it even quicker in Ireland.

If he has no passport it will take longer, renewals are different.

That being said op get a passport.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to just get a passport - is there some reason that you don't want/can't get a passport?

it would have to be a UK passport even though I have been resident in ireland for over 25years - to get an Irish passport would cost me over a thousand euro - and i dont go travelling a enough to warrant getting a passport if truth be told

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Just get a UK one then?

You seem to be trying to make a problem were there isn't one.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Just get a UK one then?

You seem to be trying to make a problem were there isn't one.

hmm, still a couple of hundred euro and apply in person in dublin , think I checked it out before - I am not trying to make a problem, i asked did anyone know of a workaround of going with ryanair without a passport or know why they wannt a passport when the others will just accept a drivers licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

hmm, still a couple of hundred euro and apply in person in dublin , think I checked it out before - I am not trying to make a problem, i asked did anyone know of a workaround of going with ryanair without a passport or know why they wannt a passport when the others will just accept a drivers licence

My impression is you are trying to make a short story long.. To get a UK passport you just need to fill in the online downloadable form, get it and a couple of photos signed by a garda and send it off. It's done in Belfast and you get it back a couple of weeks later. Cost is a little of 100euro last time I did it as far as I remember.

Deagol wrote: »
    My impression is you are trying to make a short story long.. To get a UK passport you just need to fill in the online downloadable form, get it and a couple of photos signed by a garda and send it off. It's done in Belfast and you get it back a couple of weeks later. Cost is a little of 100euro last time I did it as far as I remember.

well thanks - thats different to what I read when i was reading it up before on the internet, it was talking about going up to the UK embassy in dublin and proving who you are etc... that was a few years back I read that. Must have changed it. With your info I will read up again on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

well thanks - thats different to what I read when i was reading it up before on the internet, it was talking about going up to the UK embassy in dublin and proving who you are etc... that was a few years back I read that. Must have changed it. With your info I will read up again on it
    You may be called to the Embassy to verify your identity but that's just 'luck of the draw' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Is it your first passport or a renewal?
    I recently renewed a uk passport-all done on line in a few minutes,including uploading photos of myself from the phone.
    Came very quickly by courier and cost around a hundred euro.

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Is it your first passport or a renewal?
    I recently renewed a uk passport-all done on line in a few minutes,including uploading photos of myself from the phone.
    Came very quickly by courier and cost around a hundred euro.

First passport applying in Ireland as a British citizen resident in Ireland since 1991. My last one run out in Ireland in the 90's and at that time, and for a time onwards Ryanair were just accepting my Irish drivers licence in place of a passport, then they changed all that in a course of time and was not accepting drivers licence as ID any more so had to fly with FlyBe or aer lingus who still accepted drivers licence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair want to minimise the risk of being made bring someone back and have the strictest document rules and checks possible as a result. It's either get a passport or don't fly Ryanair, they aren't going to change

looks like i will have to go passport route then - will negate getting/looking for cheap flight over to UK , but then I suppose at least I will have a passport for the future should I want to fly to spain or france or somewhere . Blimey, our neighbours (UK) and part of europe (at the moment for another 6 months anyway) and you need a passport like its some foreign country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

looks like i will have to go passport route then - will negate getting/looking for cheap flight over to UK , but then I suppose at least I will have a passport for the future should I want to fly to spain or france or somewhere . Blimey, our neighbours (UK) and part of europe (at the moment for another 6 months anyway) and you need a passport like its some foreign country

Eh, it is a foreign country?

well ..... technically yes .. but hey , we are all after all in europe (at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you don't like it, fly another airline! Or get the boat. If you want a bargain use sail and rail or bus and ferry deals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

well ..... technically yes .. but hey , we are all after all in europe (at the moment)
    Its outside the Schengen area

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/indexamp_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Might be worth getting one with brexit coming. With the closed boarders, The UK might not be to happy to have undocumented people trying to enter. Look at the recent windrush case where people living in the UK since the 50s were barred entry. Only a matter of time before everyone will need to scan a passport to get into the UK, what with the terrorism risk and all.

ted1 wrote: »

And it forces Ireland to be outside the Schengen area or else there will be a border in NI. With Brexit is there a case for Ireland to join Schengen.

[QUOTE=Caranica;107876108]If you don't like it, fly another airline! Or get the boat. If you want a bargain use sail and rail or bus and ferry deals[/QUOTE]

didnt say I didnt like it - I asked why the other airlines will accept a drivers licence as ID but Ryanair dont any more (they used to few years back) and if anyone knew if there was a workaround or another way to fly by ryanair from Ireland to UK without having a passport ... (obviously now reading the posts it seems there isnt)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dingding wrote: »
    With Brexit is there a case for Ireland to join Schengen.

Definitely not. You cannot have an open border between Schengen and non-Schengen countries. The agreement known as the Common Travel Area would be scrapped if we signed up for Schengen so everyone would need a passport to fly to GB and even to cross the border into NI.

Looking at it from a UK perspective under the current scheme, say a person wants to enter the UK to carry out an illegal act, they just have to fly into Dublin, and enter the UK through Dublin Port - Holyhead with no checks. The open boarder with the UK would need the same rigour to be applied at Irish airports as UK airports and ports.

The irish driving license, the pink type must be one of the easiest documents to forge with no security features.

They could also change in Dublin and fly into the UK but they they may be picked up at one of the airports. Say they fly to bristol, the driving license will get them on the plane, only checked by airline and no checks in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looking at it from a UK perspective under the current scheme, say a person wants to enter the UK to carry out an illegal act, they just have to fly into Dublin, and enter the UK through Dublin Port - Holyhead with no checks. The open boarder with the UK would need the same rigour to be applied at Irish airports as UK airports and ports.

The irish driving license, the pink type must be one of the easiest documents to forge with no security features.

They could also change in Dublin and fly into the UK but they they may be picked up at one of the airports. Say they fly to bristol, the driving license will get them on the plane, only checked by airline and no checks in the UK.
    If they wanted to enter the Uk they could get the bus or train to Belfast. Easier than flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

coylemj wrote: »
    Definitely not. You cannot have an open border between Schengen and non-Schengen countries. The agreement known as the Common Travel Area would be scrapped if we signed up for Schengen so everyone would need a passport to fly to GB and even to cross the border into NI.

If there is a hard Brexit, which is probable, and a border comes back then why would we not join Schengen?

Also, I don't get OP's problem with getting a passport but could you get to Belfast and fly to Luton from there with Easyjet, no passport required?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What other type is there?

The new credit card size licence (also pink) has new security features that make forgery difficult.

Either way UK & Ireland is a free travel zone as agreed by treaty so the scenario you describe has existed for decades, even at the height of the troubles, it's only Ryanair who have implemented the passport policy, not UK border forces.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

jester77 wrote: »

Got my renewal online in 3 - amazing service!

Advertisement