Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do?

Options
  • 22-08-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Long story short, I flopped my leaving cert. This was mainly due to an unexpected death of a family member which lead me into a deep depression, although getting help throughout 6th year I still did horribly. No offers from round 1, naturally, definitely won't get any on round 2 either. I applied to a PLC in may, as a backup knowing this would happen, and currently I have to wait until Monday to see if I'm accepted. I applied through a "special consideration" due to what had happened during my leaving cert, however If I don't get accepted I don't know what to do?

I can't repeat the leaving again because I know I won't do well, i'm not motivated enough in life to study another 6/7 subjects again, and it will be a waste. But I don't want to waste my life doing nothing, I want an education, I want to go to college sooner rather than later but something I'm motivated in.

Realistically, if I don't get into the PLC, is my only option to repeat the leaving?
    (I'm aware of working and waiting to become a mature student, but I don't want to wait that long, and I have bad social anxiety, so it wouldn't be something I'm able for as of now.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Two questions:

If you repeat the Leaving Cert would you have to start in 5th year again.

Would an apprenticeship of some kind appeal to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Would you have enough points to get into a course in an IT?
    I think the best thing to do is to wait to see if you get the place on the plc. If you don’t, speak to a careers advisor at that college, or in your school.
    What area of study are you interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Long story short, I flopped my leaving cert. This was mainly due to an unexpected death of a family member which lead me into a deep depression, although getting help throughout 6th year I still did horribly. No offers from round 1, naturally, definitely won't get any on round 2 either. I applied to a PLC in may, as a backup knowing this would happen, and currently I have to wait until Monday to see if I'm accepted. I applied through a "special consideration" due to what had happened during my leaving cert, however If I don't get accepted I don't know what to do?

I can't repeat the leaving again because I know I won't do well, i'm not motivated enough in life to study another 6/7 subjects again, and it will be a waste. But I don't want to waste my life doing nothing, I want an education, I want to go to college sooner rather than later but something I'm motivated in.

Realistically, if I don't get into the PLC, is my only option to repeat the leaving?
    (I'm aware of working and waiting to become a mature student, but I don't want to wait that long, and I have bad social anxiety, so it wouldn't be something I'm able for as of now.)

It's not your only options. There are plenty of FETAC courses out there. If you would like to pm me I can discuss options with you. I've gone through schooling and University and College. Although not an expert, I spent my University and college years as a mentor for new or prospective students.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KildareMan18

Would you have enough points to get into a course in an IT?
    I think the best thing to do is to wait to see if you get the place on the plc. If you don’t, speak to a careers advisor at that college, or in your school.
    What area of study are you interested in?

Sadly no, when I say I flopped my leaving cert, I FLOPPED it, there are no courses I could ever apply for with the points I got.
    Stanford wrote: »
    Two questions:

If you repeat the Leaving Cert would you have to start in 5th year again.

Would an apprenticeship of some kind appeal to you?

I wouldn't have to do 5th year, just sixth year.

An apprenticeship would not really appeal to me the way I am now.
    MFlack2012 wrote: »
    It's not your only options. There are plenty of FETAC courses out there. If you would like to pm me I can discuss options with you. I've gone through schooling and University and College. Although not an expert, I spent my University and college years as a mentor for new or prospective students.

Thanks, I'll pm you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Have you looked into the Available Places on the CAO? https://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses.php

These are the courses which haven't been filled and would definitely be worth applying for because it would mean you'd be in with a good chance of getting them, assuming interest doesn't spontaneously arise. See if you'd be interested in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If you can show the plc that youre genuinely intetested in their courses and willing to put in the work i dont see why you wont be offered a place.
    With a plc course you could equal the points if an excellent lc and apply for a course youre intetested in in any college.

If youre feeling down and your mental health isnt strong you need to have that dealt with. Everything will seem too much of an effort if thats not in good shape.
    Best of luck

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Have you looked into the Available Places on the CAO?

These are the courses which haven't been filled and would definitely be worth applying for because it would mean you'd be in with a good chance of getting them, assuming interest doesn't spontaneously arise. See if you'd be interested in them.

Is there any point in applying for these if I don't even meet the bare minimum requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Have you looked into the Available Places on the CAO? https://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses.php

Some decent enough courses on that list definitely worth looking into it, can you talk to your schools career guidance counselor at all for their advice.

What areas are you interested in? It would help people advise what to do.

I'm actually interested in a lot of the courses listed there, (Computing, I.T, etc) however, there's no point in me applying for them, I don't meet the bare requirements of any of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm actually interested in a lot of the courses listed there, (Computing, I.T, etc) however, there's no point in me applying for them, I don't meet the bare requirements of any of them.

Can you get on a linked PLC course and get a place next year?

• Advertisement

The PLC I currently applied for (and worried I won't be accepted for) is actually linked to a course I want to do in I.T Carlow! so thats why I'm pretty stressed about what I'll do if I don't get accepted in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The PLC I currently applied for (and worried I won't be accepted for) is actually linked to a course I want to do in I.T Carlow! so thats why I'm pretty stressed about what I'll do if I don't get accepted in.

Have you done your interview yet?

If not, they will want to see two things. Firstly, are you going to be able for the course. LC results would help, but if you can convince them there was a genuine reason why that didn't work out, it will help. Maybe show 5th year or mock results.
    Secondly, is the course really what you want and will you stick with it?

I did my interview back in May, I actually got a call today to say I was accepted into the course, however the course director wants to have a meeting with me next week to inform me of the workload, etc. As she's still unsure if I'll be able to handle it, due to the stress it can cause. But I feel I'll be able to work well in this course as its something I'm passionate about and my life is a lot less stressful now compared to what it was during 5th and 6th year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sounds like a positive outcome.

In the end, you may look back on this as a blessing ... a small group setting in a PLC will be a lot less stressful, and you will probably find yourself a lot more ready for the college experience next year.

I did my interview back in May, I actually got a call today to say I was accepted into the course, however the course director wants to have a meeting with me next week to inform me of the workload, etc. As she's still unsure if I'll be able to handle it, due to the stress it can cause. But I feel I'll be able to work well in this course as its something I'm passionate about and my life is a lot less stressful now compared to what it was during 5th and 6th year.

Fantastic news, delighted for you. Don't be afraid to keep sending on questions, if I can answer them, I will :) Best of luck on your new course. And remember to not be afraid to ask for extra help if you find the workload too much. Don't get stressed about it. That's what they're there for.

Update:

Had the meeting with the course lecturer; basically was told since I did ordinary level maths and didn't get an O1/O2 I wouldn't be able for the course since it involves maths at (what was explained to me as) leaving cert higher level "but even higher" and realistically I wouldn't pass the course because of this. She told me that if I really wanted to do the course (which i do) I still can, but she said it would be better to do a level 5 then come to her next year. Firstly I don't want to wait another year just to do a PLC for another year and then get into college, thats just too long. Secondly, the level 5's in all of Kildare aren't beneficial to me or the course (A lot are even lower than a level 5) or they're just revolved around basic I.T knowledge which I'm already fully aware of and have little to no relevance to coding. Let alone I doubt how any of these level 5's will help me in terms of the maths. So basically I have no option left now, I'm not going to do a course which I'm going to fail just because I want to do it. I'm not repeating the leaving cert either, never again, not in this head space anyways. Looks like I'm out of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Maths at a level higher than higher level leaving cert maths? On a PLC course? That doesn't sound right to me.

OP, I wouldn't let what she said turn you off doing the course. Your leaving cert results were impacted by personal circumstances, not because you were incapable of getting the results. If the course is about something you're interested in then you'll work hard to get the results you need. All the math you need will be taught on the course, if you do run into trouble then you can get grinds in your own time, or alternatively the school may run workshops for students who are struggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

Now's not the time to be giving up! You have to find a way to work around this! Get back to the drawing board and make yourself a plan on how you're going to sort this out! It won't happen overnight – but you WILL get to where you want to go! You CAN do it! Now go! Good luck!

Don’t give up! Did you ever meet with an occupational therapist? If you have treatment via CAMHS you should be able to access one. They are brilliant at helping you get on appropriate courses with supports where needed.
    I know you said you don’t want to repeat the leaving, and I understand you probably don’t want to go back to school to do that. Is there any college near you that offers repeat leaving cert over one year? Might be the fresh start you desire. I know a year sounds long but it will be over before you know it. Best of luck with everything.

• Advertisement

If you want some emotional support Jigsaw are fantastic for your age group. Www.jigsaw.ie

Just gonna leave another "update"

Called the lecturer again, she told me that I still have a place, and that I can do the course if I still want to but she said she's seen people who haven't even gone through a situation like mine and still buckle under the stress of the course, so she's worried I'd be more prone to the stress and end up leaving (she's seen many leave).

Her biggest worry as I previously said was the Maths, (someone was wondering here about higher level maths on a PLC, this is a level 6 PLC, mostly revolved around coding and parts of coding can be very mathematics based, which is why its apparently a difficult level of maths) my Mom said I could do grinds in Higher level maths (maybe an online course) I honestly don't even know myself, I'm not even sure of my own capabilities in Maths, let alone if I'm even able for Higher level, because due to all the stress I couldn't perform well. I'm juggling between "Should I do this anyways, regardless of the lecturers' concerns and try my absolute hardest?" or being realistic with myself and doing a level 5 course in I.T (double the time to get into College, and many of the level 5's in Kildare aren't very beneficial towards what I want to do)

Would also like to thank the people sending positivity my way, much appreciated, I come on here to talk about these things because its just very confusing and I very much so am thankful for the help and advice people give.

Just gonna leave another "update"

Called the lecturer again, she told me that I still have a place, and that I can do the course if I still want to but she said she's seen people who haven't even gone through a situation like mine and still buckle under the stress of the course, so she's worried I'd be more prone to the stress and end up leaving (she's seen many leave).

Her biggest worry as I previously said was the Maths, (someone was wondering here about higher level maths on a PLC, this is a level 6 PLC, mostly revolved around coding and parts of coding can be very mathematics based, which is why its apparently a difficult level of maths) my Mom said I could do grinds in Higher level maths (maybe an online course) I honestly don't even know myself, I'm not even sure of my own capabilities in Maths, let alone if I'm even able for Higher level, because due to all the stress I couldn't perform well. I'm juggling between "Should I do this anyways, regardless of the lecturers' concerns and try my absolute hardest?" or being realistic with myself and doing a level 5 course in I.T (double the time to get into College, and many of the level 5's in Kildare aren't very beneficial towards what I want to do)

Would also like to thank the people sending positivity my way, much appreciated, I come on here to talk about these things because its just very confusing and I very much so am thankful for the help and advice people give.

Try it out, if you need to leave part way through, then that's the option. However, you won't know how capable you are until you try it. You won't know how difficult it is until you try it. You won't pass until you try it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Programming is not math intensive at all btw, I say that as someone about to graduate a degree course in IT. If you were looking to get into Machine Learning (AI) or looking to code advanced games then it's probably more relevant but those aren't things you'll be learning in first year, any course will start with the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi OP. I've seen many students doubt whether they could make the move or cope with a future course. Including many who were applying for a PLC.

The best advice I can give you is to try. You won't know unless you try. It may be easier than you think but it may be harder than you fear.

If it's easier - happy days. If it's harder, then you can get help. PLC colleges are great for knowing and helping students. They aren't as informal as universities. If needs be, you can even get a few grinds somewhere.

But the bottom line is if you don't try, you won't know. And you'll definitely be stuck in the same place.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

Yeah – you could simply resolve to say "f*** it! – I'm doing this if it's the last thing I do. I'm going to do it! I'm going to put every last ounce of my being into this! I can do it and I will do it! If the math is hard – I'm gonna f***ing learn how do it! If I can't learn how to do it – I'm gonna f***ing learn how to learn how to do it! And if I can't learn how to learn how to do it – I'm gonna learn how to learn how to learn how to do it! And when it gets hard – which I HOPE it will, I'm gonna remember that f***ing lecturer who said I wouldn't be able to do it! And I'm gonna remember how I felt, back then – when I started that thread on boards! I owe this to myself! I owe it to my past! And I owe it to my future! I am going to do it! I AM going to do it!" – sort of thing...

Good luck!!

OSI wrote: »

This bit is horse****, she doesn't know the content of the course by the sounds of it. I did an Honours Degree in Computer Science with numerous optional physics modules and the maths was still more approachable than the leaving cert, nothing you can cover in a PLC in a year is going to be maths intensive enough to concern you.

Let's not make remarks like that about people who are clearly trying to help the OP.

The PLC is a Level 6 , so higher than LC HL Maths. What you did in your course is neither here nor there.

OP, it sounds like this woman has your best interests at heart (which in my experience is the same with most PLC coordinators). She will do her best to help you get any extra assistance you require. PLC colleges are set up with great supports involved from the start.

She has kept the place for you and is willing to give you a go. She would not be doing her job if she did not warn you about the possibility of it being too much for you, but she has still kept your place. She believes in you. Go for it. She will make sure you get the supports you need, if you need them.

Okay, after reading everyone's replies I feel like I can do the level 6.

However, today I went for a meeting with a fetac guidance counselor, basically she told me I wouldn't be able for the level 6, that people who did well in their leaving would even struggle, she said a level 5 is too high for me as well? she recommended a level 4 in this local fetac center so I went to talk to the woman in charge there, and to be 100% honest its an absolute awful place, full of graffiti etc, and the people there were very off-putting. From what I was told I'd basically have to do something just like the leaving cert english, maths, and a few other subjects of choice. Honestly i'm just sick of even being told I'm not capable for a level 6, a level 5 sure I would be happy to do, but a level 4? that just seemed completely wrong for me. I feel i'm being underestimated due to the circumstances I was under and my mental health, its ridiculous, not only that but I'm being pressured by my family to "just do the level 4" I feel like I should just do the level 6, and my absolute hardest, if maths is a problem I can get grinds surely, this entire situation is just horrifically stressful and I need to make a decision this week because the course starts next week.

OSI wrote: »
    Could you ask her to provide some sample course content for the Level 6? She seems pretty adamant for someone who won't back it up.

I'm unsure if I'll be able to at this stage of the week, but the website itself has a list of the courses content, I've asked other people about this content on other websites and if its difficult and I've heard its very doable.

Course content;
    Software architecture and design with UML class diagrams,
    Algorithms and data structures within console applications,
    Database creation and SQL queries,
    Internet and network programming,
    Object Orientated Programming incorporating classes and libraries,
    Graphical User Interface programs,
    2D and 3D computer game design and development,
    Web Development, using HTML5 and CS3,
    Multi threading program development,
    Mathematics.

• Advertisement

Do the Level 6 PLC! You want to do it and you sound like you will do whatever it takes to suceed with the course and I am sure there will be plenty of help available to you as well.

Advertisement