Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question - am I missing something?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

coylemj wrote:
    Bu the OP will be insured and that's the important part.

If the insurance rep gave him the advice to put the disc on another vehicle, I would question his ability to advise him on the core issue of cover.

As you say, the policy is king

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the insurance rep gave him the advice to put the disc on another vehicle, I would question his ability to advise him on the core issue of cover.

+1 I would question the ability of any call agent to advise on cover, that is not what they are there for. I'd be 110% certain that they are under strict instructions to respond to any such query with the same answer: 'read the policy document that's on our website in conjunction with the schedule and cert. we sent you after your last renewal'.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I would question the ability of any call agent to advise on cover, that is not what they are there for. I'd be 110% certain that they are under strict instructions to respond to any such query with the same answer: 'read the policy document that's on our website in conjunction with the schedule and cert. we sent you after your last renewal'.

I have to agree. IMO, the technical standard of today's call centre staff is very poor and bad advice given by many is the reason we have so many threads here with a clusterfluck of misinformation, based on what posters have been told by them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Talk about a right balls, the cheapest insurance I can get is Fully Comp for about €500 with everything stripped from the policy and excess increased so I went back down the route of using my own policy called the broker to confirm.
    I was first told it needed to be insured then I queried and was told it didn't, was then told my wife couldn't own it and I queried it and was told they weren't sure but it would be best if she didn't I suggested giving it to a brother and that was OK and was referred to the policy doc this time over the cert of insurance!

tnegun wrote: »
    I was first told it needed to be insured then I queried and was told it didn't, was then told my wife couldn't own it and I queried it and was told they weren't sure but it would be best if she didn't I suggested giving it to a brother and that was OK and was referred to the policy doc this time over the cert of insurance!

Ringing your insurance company is bad enough when all you're going to get is a call agent who is not authorised to discuss cover. Asking your broker as you've discovered is even more pointless, they haven't a clue.

Why are you asking the broker those questions when all you have to do is download the policy document and read it?

• Advertisement

I suggested giving it to a brother and that was OK and was referred to the policy doc this time over the cert of insurance!

Read the certificate, the schedule and the policy as a combined entity. Some policy books contain all the conditions available and your specific schedule may say something like Endorsements 1, 9, 23 and 65 apply to your cover. The certificate should be very precise under Description of Vehicle

Will dig them out when I get home, I only rang them because I didn't want to interpret it incorrectly e.g. just see what I wanted to see. I spelt out exactly what I wanted to do on the phone so there could be no confusion :( Thanks for all the help this far!

Ringing your insurance company is bad enough when all you're going to get is a call agent who is not authorised to discuss cover. Asking your broker as you've discovered is even more pointless, they haven't a clue.

As you know, insurers and brokers don't exactly allocate their key staff to handling motor insurance. There is not enough money in it for them to pay for quality insurance professionals (generally speaking)

As you know, insurers and brokers don't exactly allocate their key staff to handling motor insurance. There is not enough money in it for them to pay for quality insurance professionals (generally speaking)

Regardless of how profitable the business is, neither insurance companies or their brokers should be giving policyholders legal advice (on the terms and conditions of a policy of insurance) over the phone, period.

If you're unsure about your cover, read your policy document.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Regardless of how profitable the business is, neither insurance companies or their brokers should be giving policyholders legal advice (on the terms and conditions of a policy of insurance) over the phone, period.

If you're unsure about your cover, read your policy document.

You should also read the actual certificate of Motor Insurance and check it says you are covered under section 2 ( if it's 123 )

https://www.123.ie/downloads/RSAMotorPolicy1016.pdf
    This cover may not apply to Your Policy. Before driving another car please check
    Your Certificate of Motor Insurance

• Advertisement

Policy has f all detail about it just says if I have taken the other car option I'm covered, cert says I'm covered my mention of it being insured or owned by my wife so looks like I'm good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

CeilingFly wrote: »
    €700??

Assuming no penalty points you should be able to get insurance for about €400 or less if tpft is sufficient.

Currently liberty and aig are pushing in the market.

If you have home insurance it with them it saves about €50, if you put both drivers as named on policy it saves with aig, if you increase the excess to €500 it saves

And then once you get a good quote, ring them and ask if they could knock any more off.

Most will have ability to apply a discretionary discount of € 50.

Well cheapest 3rd party quote I got for my wife on 10 year old 1.4 petrol golf was 750 as of last night.

Waiting to see what our broker can do but every quote from chill was over 1000. The 750 came from Axa through a broker channel.

It's a joke

Policy has f all detail about it just says if I have taken the other car option I'm covered, cert says I'm covered my mention of it being insured or owned by my wife so looks like I'm good to go

To satisfy everybody's curiosity here, can you type out the section on your certificate relating to the vehicles you can drive?

Will post a pic of it when I get home this evening
    Edit Just that section of course!

OP, in case we can't tell from the cert., can you tell us which insurance co. you're with? I'm surprised that you say there is no detail on the conditions under which you can drive other cars, every policy document I've read (and I've pretty much seen them all) has several conditions and exclusions.

To satisfy everybody's curiosity here, can you type out the section on your certificate relating to the vehicles you can drive?

Don't see the point, the conditions and exclusions for driving other cars are not documented on the cert.

Apologies my mistake it was the Policy summary that didn't give more detail The insurer is Allianz

Policy doc is here https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/motor_policy_document_0412.pdf

Endorsement 4 pg.16 is almost verbatim of what it says on the cert.

Cert also references Section 4.2 pg 13 re Temp substitutions

Policy Summary is here https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/motor_policy_summary_0612.pdf

Allianz conditions for driving other cars follows. It's pretty generous in that it does not exclude cars owned by your partner or anyone in your immediate family or living in your 'household' as lots of other policies do......

Endorsement No 4 – Driving other Cars

We will insure You in respect of legal liability, as provided under Section 1 (Third Party Insurance) whilst You are driving another Private Car, provided such Private Car:

1. Does not belong to You or Your employer.
    2. Is not hired or leased to either of the parties described above under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement.
    3. Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade business of which You are a director, member or employee.

Cover under this Endorsement is limited to use within Ireland and the United Kingdom only.

Don't see the point, the conditions and exclusions for driving other cars are not documented on the cert.

It usually does

In Allianz's situation it is under Section 5 on the Certificate; Vehicle or Classes of Vehicles, the use of which is covered

Apologies my mistake it was the Policy summary that didn't give more detail The insurer is Allianz

Policy doc is here https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/motor_policy_document_0412.pdf

Endorsement 4 pg.16 is almost verbatim of what it says on the cert.

Cert also references Section 4.2 pg 13 re Temp substitutions

Policy Summary is here https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/motor_policy_summary_0612.pdf

What does ALMOST verbatim mean?

And does the certificate of insurance actually contain the wording that endorsement 4 is effective

The following Endorsements apply only if the Endorsement Number is shown in the
    Schedule and are otherwise subject to the terms, conditions, exceptions and general
    exceptions of Your Policy.

• Advertisement

Optional Covers available on the Policy

Driving other Cars Applies only to the Policyholder and is restricted to
    Third Party cover only.

It should be stated as in operation on your insurance certificate

It usually does

In Allianz's situation it is under Section 5 on the Certificate; Vehicle or Classes of Vehicles, the use of which is covered

I don't have access to an Allianz cert. so am not in a position to comment on that.

On my Axa cert, under 'Vehicle or classes of Vehicles, the use of which is covered', it says my car in subsection (a) and subsection (b) says the following.....

Any motor car being driven, with the consent of the owner, by te insured,provided such vehicle does not belong to him/her and is not hired to him/her under a hire purchase agreement.

But the Axa policy document adds the following condition...

you still own and insure your car under this policy and it hasn’t been damaged beyond economical repair

meaning that if your own car gets totalled, your 'driving other cars' cover is suspended. So for my money, the cert. alone is insufficient to give you the full picture.

But the Axa policy document adds the following condition...

you still own and insure your car under this policy and it hasn’t been damaged beyond economical repair

meaning that if your own car gets totalled, your 'driving other cars' cover is suspended. So for my money, the cert. alone is insufficient to give you the full picture.

My point is that the certificate does contain relevant information on driving of other cars and if you have a look at my Post 37, I said that the cert, schedule and policy should be read as one entity

Spook_ie wrote: »
    What does ALMOST verbatim mean?

And does the certificate of insurance actually contain the wording that endorsement 4 is effective

I don't have the cert with me but the wording in the policy is almost identical to what I recall from the cert. Re the wording will check that when I get home but if it contains the text from endorsement 4 I guess it is.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    It should be stated as in operation on your insurance certificate

I've said several times that my policy allows driving of other cars I was just unsure of exact the circumstances or restrictions so this optional cover is present on my policy.

My point is that the certificate does contain relevant information on driving of other cars and if you have a look at my Post 37, I said that the cert, schedule and policy should be read as one entity

This is something which every insurance company needs to tell anyone who rings with a query about cover.

And it was pointed out by me in post #33.

Snip from cert attached

Advertisement