Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonoff WiFi Plug - €7.24 (using code) [Dressily]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭boosabum

Anyone having connectivity issues with these in the last few days?

Mine showing offline and will not complete pairing after i delete and try to in both modes.

Wonder is the ewekline server playing up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

boosabum wrote: »

Mine showing offline and will not complete pairing after i delete and try to in both modes.

Happened to me last week and I had to update one that was still working and then I could pair the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

wiz569 wrote: »
    Happened to me last week and I had to update one that was still working and then I could pair the rest of them.

Yeah there’s an update on most of the sonoff stuff now. Can switch off the LED on them if you need to now in software

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

comput1 wrote: »
    Yeah there’s an update on most of the sonoff stuff now. Can switch off the LED on them if you need to now in software

Did you update yours? I've just done it on one plug, and it's now appearing as offline in the app. Don't want to restart incase the software is applying. Did this happen to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

antodeco wrote: »
    Did you update yours? I've just done it on one plug, and it's now appearing as offline in the app. Don't want to restart incase the software is applying. Did this happen to yours?

The new firmware takes about 10 seconds to apply. I’m having awful trouble with Internet last few days. Vodafone. Up and down like the proverbial knickers. Sonoffs obviously won’t work if WiFi down as the server is cloud based, Amazon I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

boosabum wrote: »

No mine fine reboot your router, I had such issues few month ago replaced Asus router none since

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What's the 'inching' option in the new firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭boosabum

Got sorted, seems to be an issue with 2.4 on my router, quick reset has it back online. Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Took delivery, set them up. have them set to Alexa and everything, very easy.

Got it to turn on and off lights.....was kicking myself I didn't buy more when I seen them working, my standard reaction when I see anything flashy

But now, just wondering what the hell I will do with them....I can either go full blown and buy them for everything but then I would need multiple Alexa's and a lot more than 3 of them.....Or I can just use them as a Security device to flick on and off lights.....

Unsure which way to go....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My 3 from November arrived today. That's 12 plugs in total I have now. Only currently using 5, but will find uses for the other 7 eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mine arrived today also. Only shipped out Christmas week.
    Mainly bought as a back up for the sitting room and hall lamps for thiose evening when you doing get home till later.

Bought 3, have 2 in use so looking for ideas for the 3rd :)

besides lights what good ideas do people have for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

glasso wrote: »

Ya I'm struggling for uses as well. Had got them for Christmas lights but that'll wait till next year.
    I've got some hue blubs so don't really need these for lights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

glasso wrote: »

Electric blanket on the bed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Same here. Also love the time feature. I've lights set into the stairs that come on every morning for an hour and the same each evening.

Another 3 arrived today. 7 now to play with ðŸ˜.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

We mainly use them for controlling the lights when we are away but we use one to control a slow cooker when at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Finally got my 4 , horrifically slow given i placed the order back around black friday :(

1 hour of soldering and we're game ball with tasmota ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Finally got my 4 , horrifically slow given i placed the order back around black friday :(

1 hour of soldering and we're game ball with tasmota ...

I haven't looked into tasmota, what are the benefits of it ?

Do you have an alexa in room or how do you turn on/off? just via the app?

What's the 'inching' option in the new firmware?

allows you to set a time for it to switch off after its been switched on..

The plugs and basics have inching but not all the devices have it in the updated firmware though.

You can use IFTTT and stringify flows to achieve same thing as inching. I have a POW on my immersion, turns off automatically 45 minutes via a stringify flow after turning on. Was a bit of work setting up but works great.

Lamps, tvs (to turn off at night), electric blanket, heating (just on and off on schedule). You can get the sonoff door sensor put them on doors and windows, get the RF bridge which pairs them with your wifi and you have a home made alarm tied to your phone.

Some other ideas am working on, car alarm, when someone opens car door at home after you set the alarm (use a door sensor), can turn on every light in the house via stringify. Send txt/email/alarm to yourself.

Play with geo sensors, turn on lights on house when home via location mode on your phone. All through stringify.

All paired with alexa google home.

Use the new iphone app to create applets for Siri, pair with IFTTT, give sonoff commands verbally via iphone when out and about through Siri.

theres a youtube video and a reddit for ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

What's the sonoff door sensor, haven't see that.

bromley52 wrote: »
    I haven't looked into tasmota, what are the benefits of it ?

Centralized management, none ewelink cloud reliance, advanced rule set on the device, and advanced automations coupled with additional devices. via say openhab or Home assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Centralized management, none ewelink cloud reliance, advanced rule set on the device, and advanced automations coupled with additional devices. via say openhab or Home assistant.

How difficult is it to convert them to use tasmota?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you have an alexa in room or how do you turn on/off? just via the app?

I do it through Google Home on my phone, it will respond similar to Alexa or a Google Home device.
    Usually as I park up of an evening I will say "Ok Google, I'm home" and my phone responds and turns on the 2 standard lamps for me, TV, Sky Box etc, and the heaters I have at home. (all just via plug sockets nothing overly fancy)

And then the same again when I am leaving.

nc6000 wrote: »
    How difficult is it to convert them to use tasmota?

The 2s6 models are tricky due in part tot he soldering, the actual flashing is the easy piece.

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Sonoff-S26-Smart-Socket

I've flashed a few types, and usually they are easier then this model. that being said, anybody with a steady hand, and some patience can do it ..

kungfual wrote: »
    What's the sonoff door sensor, haven't see that.

its a simple bridge sensor, put on doors and windows for alarms or pair with your light switches, you can get multiple sensors on ebay, only need one RF for every 4 sensors I think

https://www.banggood.com/SONOFF-RF-Bridge-WiFi-433-MHz-Replacement-Smart-Home-Automation-Universal-Switch-p-1269690.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-ie-all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8Dyr4Le3wIVWFuGCh3w9QDwEAQYBSABEgJa3PD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

This is the PIR that you can use for basically same thing but works on motion detection so say for example you have a shed you can pair with a light or put in a car, hide under the dash, thief sits in car, doesnt see the bridge sensor above, set a stringify flow to turn on lots of stuff.

https://www.banggood.com/SONOFF-PIR2-Wireless-Infrared-Detector-Dual-Infrared-Motion-Sensor-For-Smart-Home-Security-Alarm-Sy-p-1227759.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-ie-all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8Dyr4Le3wIVWFuGCh3w9QDwEAQYAyABEgL7wfD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

My three arrived yesterday. €21. Ordered 21st December. Much quicker than expected. Already had two on the living room lights. It won't be much of a problem finding a use for the new ones and probably should have ordered a few more.
    Not too keen on the cloud based app but haven't had much problems so far.

its a simple bridge sensor, put on doors and windows for alarms or pair with your light switches, you can get multiple sensors on ebay, only need one RF for every 4 sensors I think

https://www.banggood.com/SONOFF-RF-Bridge-WiFi-433-MHz-Replacement-Smart-Home-Automation-Universal-Switch-p-1269690.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-ie-all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8Dyr4Le3wIVWFuGCh3w9QDwEAQYBSABEgJa3PD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

This is the PIR that you can use for basically same thing but works on motion detection so say for example you have a shed you can pair with a light or put in a car, hide under the dash, thief sits in car, doesnt see the bridge sensor above, set a stringify flow to turn on lots of stuff.

https://www.banggood.com/SONOFF-PIR2-Wireless-Infrared-Detector-Dual-Infrared-Motion-Sensor-For-Smart-Home-Security-Alarm-Sy-p-1227759.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-ie-all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8Dyr4Le3wIVWFuGCh3w9QDwEAQYAyABEgL7wfD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

On the PIR, I guess you just put in batteries and then sync up to your wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

My three arrived yesterday. €21. Ordered 21st December. Much quicker than expected. Already had two on the living room lights. It won't be much of a problem finding a use for the new ones and probably should have ordered a few more.
    Not too keen on the cloud based app but haven't had much problems so far.

Got a link for that? Is it still valid?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    On the PIR, I guess you just put in batteries and then sync up to your wireless?

yes, just add batteries to get door sensors working.

with the RF 433mhz bridge which translates the signals from radio frequencys from the sonoffs over on to your wifi. tiny little box you sit beside your router.
    Pair the bridge with your wifi like any of the sonoffs.
    Add the door sensors which will talk to the bridge and youll see them in the ewelink app under the bridge
    create scenes so that when door sensor is triggered things will happen like "lights" or set up an alarm with ifttt and stringify for alerting so no matter where you are, once youre online youll get notified.

Ive 8 downstairs windows and doors to do, can get 10 pieces delivered for 40 euro from china where Ive had all my devices sent from

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/10PCS-Sonoff-433MHz-Magnetic-Sensor-Home-Door-Window-Warning-Alarm-Switch-System/263992549888?hash=item3d772ea200:m:mxZlOtzJ1436iUt_hbsVCWA:rk:7:pf:0

going on holiday? reroute your alarming to a neighbours phone or email.

instructions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvcOYOXhHKw

Advertisement