Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am one of the 5200 non-performing Ulster Bank mortgages.

Options
  • 15-08-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I rang Ulster Bank the other day, curious if I was one of the 5200, and they confirmed that I was. Cerberus taking over my mortgage account in October/November. Currently feel sick in my stomach, and haven’t told my OH, as they would stress both of us out.

Have been paying my mortgage the best I could up until December, now paying over the full amount since then. But have accumulated €20k in arrears since I moved into the property in 2007. Was hoping to get a restructure on the mortgage(split mortgage/recapitalization) over the last few weeks, but since I’m in arrears the loan has been sold off.

I don’t know what to do now, and have the fear that I will lose my family home. I can afford to pay the mortgage right now, but not sure what to expect from Cerberus, and think they will hike up the repayments that will bankrupt me and they will take my home away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

First thing is talk to your partner - how bad would they feel when it comes out in the wash!
    Call Cerberus and go through all options - if you bury the head in the sand this may bite way more harder than you ever want.

It is a worry and a hard time but the sooner you engage the sooner you get your plan of action together and the better the outlook. Also contact any help groups. more threads on here for links etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cortexiphan

She had a fear that we would lose the house as we had arrears, I told her that once we are in contact with Ulster bank, and are paying the mortgage, we shouldn't worry(this was a over the last few months). Now I worry that we could lose the house, and I told her not to worry.

Right now, I can't contact Cerberus, as the mortgage has yet to be moved to them. I have yet to be formally notified of the move until I receive a letter stating so.

The mortgage is due to be paid today, and I normally call the bank(or call in branch to pay). I don't even know if there is a point in paying it, as since the mortgage has been sold, Ulster Bank would be getting free money for a loan that has already been sold.

I called Ulster bank yesterday to ask a few questions, and they said that if I wish to pay the arrears, I could. But loan will be moved to Cerberus regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Statistically, you're about five times more likely to be reposessed by the bank than a vulture fund. If you play your cards right, this could work for you. Remember, the vulture fund doesn't think of it in terms of a write down anymore. They bought your loan for cents on the euro, they're much more willing to cut a deal than a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

The first step is not to panic. There is a lot of unnecessary scaremongering going on in the media at the moment which is terribly unfair to borrowers who may not fully understand what a loan being sold to a vulture fund means for them.

You have the same protections when your loan is owned by a vulture fund as with a bank. Are you in a restructured arrangement at the moment? If you are then Cereberus will have to keep it at least until review time.

Remember that the aim of vulture funds is to make money. The best way they can do that is NOT through repossessions, but by you paying you mortgage. Repossessions take too long and are too expensive - see this article here which even shows that vulture funds repossess much less frequently than banks. So as long as you keep paying and keep engaging you have absolutely no reason to worry about losing your home.

Yes, it is possible that Cereberus will not offer you a particular restructuring arrangement (I know it has been reported they are not keen on split mortgages) but they will want to agree some sort of arrangement so just keep working with them (or more correctly whoever is servicing the loans - you won't be dealing with Cereberus directly).

Basically, don't panic and don't stop paying. You are no more likely to lose your home now as you were before your loan was sold. The most important thing to do is to stick to the terms of whatever repayment arrangement you have, and keep paying towards the arrears whenever you are able.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Once you keep paying your mortgage, is there anything to worry about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Keep paying the mortgage, getting into further arrears won't help you at all.

Cerberus don't want your home, they're bound by the same agreement as you had with UB so keep paying.

They want a quick settlement of the mortgage or a re-structure to allow them re-sell the mortgage at a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You haven’t received any formal notification from the bank yet, so as far as you’re concerned you’re still dealing with UB. You will receive letters and communications when the mortgage is due to be transferred. So don’t stop paying yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

First thing is try not to worry. I have dealt with Cerberus with commercial deal and although they drive a hard bargain, you can get a deal out of them. In the meantime I would try to see if any other broker could get you a mortgage, as Cerberus will cut a deal to close the file.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1. Don't panic. The terms of your mortgage haven't changed. Your legal position hasn't changed. Your legal protections haven't changed.

2. Don't ignore anything. Bring your partner into the loop now, before you're trying to catch the postman in the morning and hide letters under your bed.

3. Keep paying your mortgage and you are not going to lose your home. Courts will not evict families from their homes once they're making an honest attempt to pay.

4. See 3.

5. See 4.

The cause of your panic is mostly coming from the media who would have you believe that Cerberus are going to send men in high-vis jackets down tomorrow to change your locks and dump your stuff out on the street. Nothing has really changed from your point of view except who owns your mortgage.

As others have said here, you should seize this as an opportunity to correct your current financial position and get yourself out of arrears. Look at all of your options, come up with a plan, be ready for when Cerberus do get in contact. Don't let them drive the conversation, don't let them be the ones deciding what happens next. Put reasonable counter-offers to them.

But for the love of everything, keep paying your mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Keep paying your mortgage for definite. As soon as you get confirmation from UB that it has been sold get the contact details of the manager in charge of your file direct number email etc as this saves a lot of time.

You have to remember how much hassle it is for a bank or fund to actually sell a house they just want as much money as they can so ask them to propose a deal, possible go on interest only while you attempt to pay back some of the arrears.

The main thing is to engage with them as otherwise they can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As Brendan Burgess says:

"There is a lot of scaremongering going on. The only people who need to worry are those who haven't engaged and who haven't paid anything, and it's about time that they began to worry."

As long as you keep making repayments, then it's very unlikely you'd ever lose your house.

You say that the arrears are slowly being reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

When mortgages are sold off like this do the arrears follow as well? i.e. will Cerberus want to collect the OPs €20k he owed in arrears to UB.

OP - this could be a good thing as doing a deal with Cerberus will be a lot easier that with UB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

seamus wrote: »

The cause of your panic is mostly coming from the media who would have you believe that Cerberus are going to send men in high-vis jackets down tomorrow to change your locks and dump your stuff out on the street.

.... assisted by opposition politicians whose preference is to get a cheap headline from scaremongering and abusing so-called vulture funds.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    When mortgages are sold off like this do the arrears follow as well? i.e. will Cerberus want to collect the OPs €20k he owed in arrears to UB.

OP - this could be a good thing as doing a deal with Cerberus will be a lot easier that with UB.
    Yes, that's how it works. The arrears are part of the mortgage.

Imagine:

UB have a mortgage account for 230k, plus 20k in arrears. Cerberus come along and buy the mortgage for 210k. UB get €210k in cash and no longer have to chase the arrears.

Cerberus offer to restructure the mortgage for €240k over a longer term. Then they sell it on to someone else for €245k.

Net profit: €35k (~17%)

Or you get a mortgage somewhere else and Cerberus agree to let you close the account for €240k.

That's illustrative, probably not realistic. But that's what they're at. A trip to the courts to engage in very long, very expensive, and generally futile repossession proceedings, eats into that profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Terrible position to be in OP but as above I wouldn't be overly worried just yet and talking this through with your partner will be key, there's nothing to be ashamed of and no point entering this with your eyes closed it will eventually become common place. I'd forget about debt right off as it's your family home you'll be unlikely to want to leave it and I assume that's what part of debt right off plans will be or else relinquish ownership and long term rental.

I'm curious is your home valued higher or lower than the mortgage against it? These companies wouldn't be interested in small returns so unlikely to entertain repossession if property is negative even against what they paid for the mortgage.

Doubt a deal to pay off the mortgage could be done, close to €300k left to pay. Currently paying €800 a month with the actual mortgage at €750.

My idea of Cerberus was buy the loan cheap, and try to get the house sold ASAP, making quick profit as the current market shows properties coming back into positive equity. I'm find it hard to believe that Cerberus would keep an arrangement in place for the term of a mortgage(30 years?).

Are they going to dictate terms of the loan based on my income, and throw random interest rates too(i'm currently on a special rate from UB of 1.5%)

Also, I purchased the property when I was single, so I am only one on the mortgage account. Does this make a difference when evaluating income into the household, or would they look at all incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Or you get a mortgage somewhere else and Cerberus agree to let you close the account for €240k.

Because these borrowers are such a great credit risk to take on. Sure the taxpayer has a bottomless pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

My friend works for a company like Cerberus. They don't want to take your house and will work with you on a payment plan that works for you. Just don't be an asshole and work with them.

• Advertisement

Cerberus aren’t interested in your house per se, they’re interested in the mortgage. Think of it like buying a used car with a bad engine for €2k. They tune it up, clean it up and then sell for €3k.

dudara wrote: »
    Cerberus aren’t interested in your house per se, they’re interested in the mortgage. Think of it like buying a used car with a bad engine for €2k. They tune it up, clean it up and then sell for €3k.

So, they could buy a €300k mortgage from UB for €150k(50c on the Euro), sell it on as a "performing mortgage" for €200k. Do a deal with owner to pay a bit more than the monthly mortgage, for shorter time period, paying back €200k plus some interest.

Because these borrowers are such a great credit risk to take on. Sure the taxpayer has a bottomless pocket.
    What's the taxpayer got to do with it?

Not everyone in this situation is actually a bad credit risk, arrears can just be very difficult to clear if you've only a few hundred quid to play with after your mortgage is paid. If you decided to try and clear your €20k arrears in five years, you'd need to overpay by about €350/month.

But restructuring a mortgage to add on that €20k over 20 years is about €130 a month. Which someone may find tight, but at least possible, unlike €350/month. This person is not a bad credit risk; they may have been solidly repaying for 5+ years, but trying to clear the arrears is just a step too far.

By comparison, arrears are really easily to built up. €20k arrears is just 18 months of non-payment for most people. Which sounds like a lot if you've always paid your mortgage, but if you have no steady work for two years, you end up in this situation before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, go onto the Today FM website, look for the podcast of yesterday's The Last Word with Matt Cooper. Karl Dietrich did a segment about this, he said VF are far more likely to do a deal with home owners than banks are. It is very informative and hopefully will give you a little peace of mind.

This post has been deleted.

If that was the case, everyone would jump on it expecting a decent write-down from the Vultures. Saying that, I've heard of them paying 40cent on the Euro.

davo10 wrote: »
    Op, go onto the Today FM website, look for the podcast of yesterday's The Last Word with Matt Cooper. Karl Dietrich did a segment about this, he said VF are far more likely to do a deal with home owners than banks are. It is very informative and hopefully will give you a little peace of mind.

I was listening to that on the way home yesterday, and it was informative, but the arguement against Karl Dietrich(cant remember his name), was very weak, and spiralled towards homelessness instead.

^ Why would they give you a decent write down? They have title to the underlying asset, the house, and can move to repossess and sell if things get bad. It’s just far easier for them to do a deal and sell on the mortgage. Like all businesses they want to maximise their profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

What's the taxpayer got to do with it?

Not everyone in this situation is actually a bad credit risk, arrears can just be very difficult to clear if you've only a few hundred quid to play with after your mortgage is paid. If you decided to try and clear your €20k arrears in five years, you'd need to overpay by about €350/month.

But restructuring a mortgage to add on that €20k over 20 years is about €130 a month. Which someone may find tight, but at least possible, unlike €350/month. This person is not a bad credit risk; they may have been solidly repaying for 5+ years, but trying to clear the arrears is just a step too far.

By comparison, arrears are really easily to built up. €20k arrears is just 18 months of non-payment for most people. Which sounds like a lot if you've always paid your mortgage, but if you have no steady work for two years, you end up in this situation before you know it.
    They are the definition of a bad credit risk. They are in arrears.

And the taxpayer foots the bill through the bank bailouts. I don't know who you think pays it.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    ^ Why would they give you a decent write down? They have title to the underlying asset, the house, and can move to repossess and sell if things get bad. It’s just far easier for them to do a deal and sell on the mortgage. Like all businesses they want to maximise their profit.

I said people may be expecting. I'm not expecting anything favourable, in fact the complete opposite. Read my first post.

Advertisement