Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Caps

Options
  • 11-08-2018 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

What scope caps are people using these days?

My old set broke last year and I'm looking to replace them.

Prices and places to buy too please :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Butler Creek. Probably not the newest fangled type but they work so i see no need to change them.

They run around €15 for each (Obj & Eye) and have a quick flip button for the eye cover.

Pretty much most places stock them. Last set i bought was from Stakelums, but they are available online form sportsden, Outdoor sports, and probably a host of other dealers.

They can be gotten slightly cheaper from abroad but factor in exchange rate, shipping, etc. and is either the same price or even a euro or two dearer. So i buy at home.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    Butler Creek. Probably not the newest fangled type but they work so i see no need to change them.

They run around €15 for each (Obj & Eye) and have a quick flip button for the eye cover.

Pretty much most places stock them. Last set i bought was from Stakelums, but they are available online form sportsden, Outdoor sports, and probably a host of other dealers.

They can be gotten slightly cheaper from abroad but factor in exchange rate, shipping, etc. and is either the same price or even a euro or two dearer. So i buy at home.

I heard the newer models of butler creek are dirt compared to their older stuff?
    Seen 2 sets with bits of the hinge & pin broken off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Funny enough you might be right.

The set i bought from stakelums was the newest set and they snapped of at the hinge. I have the same type on my other rifles, but have them for donkey years and they haven't failed once.

After saying that its an item i don't buy too often. I have a bag of spare ones and as i don't change scopes too often its not something i'd be buying even yearly.

There is no limit on the types you can go for. I've seen Leupold ones, aluminium i believe, going for over £100 (sterling). Then you have the "Audi effect". When a scope brand with a good name sells accessories like flip caps they charge an arm and a leg (like Audi cars).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Try the vortex defender.

Far better build quality than butler Creek, life time warranty.

Only down size is they can be a bit on the large side.

I've tried most and these are easily got as well.

Only scope caps that made me wince are the swarovski ones but unfortunately, if you have a z6i, other brands will not fit properly because of the location of the illumination control so the eye piece one is a necessity if you want a cap

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

The vortex ones are good but they are quite big.
    I bought some Chinese ones from AliExpress.
    They are similar to butler creek but cost around one euro each with free postage. I bought plenty so if I break one I have spares on hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Second the Vortex Defender. I use them and would have gone through a fair few pairs of the Butler Creeks to the one pair of vortex

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

I like these neoprene (ie stretchy wetsuit material) scope covers:

https://scopeshieldcover.com/

They're cheap, come off in an instant, and protect the whole scope and part of the action, rather than just the lenses. I use the thicker 3mm ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I went for the vortex defender in the end, a bit bulkier than most others, but nowhere near as flimsy. they also have a 2 point opening, so you can open them right back parallel to the scope body and carry the gun with the caps open, but out of the way.

The back is catching on the bolt slightly but i can rotate it to suit and a small bit of tape to hold it in that position, (the focus at the rear of the scope allows the cap to rotate)

Def recommend over any of the other ones I tried (and broke!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have vortex ones as well. Can't complain, work as intended and haven't broken yet.

The other brand I often see recommended are tenebraex, but they're not cheap.

Advertisement