Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin Commuter Routes (Currently BE)

2»

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    I'd imagine it would be a bit of a waste of money going for something like VanHools for commuter work aswell. VanHools are excellent coaches alright but don't come cheap as devnull alluded to. I wouldn't say theres too many operators ou there using them for short distance commuter work but rather tours and long distance intercity stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    The NTA ordered 88 of them 40 for GAI the remaining 48 for BE for town and city services in a number of places. I think they are in Sligo so drivers can be type trained on them as Sligo are due some. I believe Dundalk and Navan are getting some aswell. I'd say Limerick and Galway will also get some as with Athlone.

    Saw one in Athlone the other day.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    TransLink seem to be having a good run with their scania double decks, the only time we've ever seen them in broadstone is minor, such as a mirror bring hit or other damage caused while on the road.

    They could be a runner, the drivers of them do like them and they seem smooth, comfortable and reliable

    If there's no other double deck option then maybe they could go down the city bus double deck route, fit seatbelts and allow 80kmh which is all you are legally allowed to going to edenderry or tullamore. They are all national roads only. The VWDs used to be able to do 80kmh before they brought them back down and I brought one to tullamore on the 120 route and it did it faster than the LD I drove the previous day on the same route at the same time.

    The reason it was faster was because it had a much better gearbox, easier to get around because it was shorter, much more reliable and still had the capacity !

    After that if that doesn't work then go just back to normal coaches because I don't think I've ever filled an LD on 120 or 126


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull


    It's interesting that Translink haven't had any issues with their Caetano deckers because the National Express contractors who were running them in the UK complained of issues in high winds, suspension issues which are believed to have been the reason for the temporary withdrawal from service of all vehicles and also a lack of luggage capacity,

    I've also read stuff online which I cannot verify saying luggage compartment can only be opened from the off-side and not from the near-side which seems a pretty stupid arrangement if true.

    Trouble is there's not a huge demand for commuter double deck coaches as most demand for deckers normally falls into double deck city buses, premium spec double decker city buses used for commuter services (Witch Way, RedExpress to name a couple) and Intercity coaches.

    BE using double decker coaches for commuter services is quite an unusual arrangement, normally such services around Europe are either operated by single decker coaches or buses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    devnull wrote: »
    It's interesting that Translink haven't had any issues with their Caetano deckers because the National Express contractors who were running them in the UK complained of issues in high winds, suspension issues which are believed to have been the reason for the temporary withdrawal from service of all vehicles and also a lack of luggage capacity,

    I've also read stuff online which I cannot verify saying luggage compartment can only be opened from the off-side and not from the near-side which seems a pretty stupid arrangement if true.

    Trouble is there's not a huge demand for commuter double deck coaches as most demand for deckers normally falls into double deck city buses, premium spec double decker city buses used for commuter services (Witch Way, RedExpress to name a couple) and Intercity coaches.

    BE using double decker coaches for commuter services is quite an unusual arrangement, normally such services around Europe are either operated by single decker coaches or buses.

    I think TransLink have a good rep re: maintenance etc.

    In regards to the luggage door, no , any one that I've seen or driven are normal set up of button in can open doors on passenger side (left)

    Your last two points I agree with. I would have no issue seen these Kildare routes go down the way of single deck coach or double deck bus. Not it's current format


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull


    I think TransLink have a good rep re: maintenance etc.

    The suspension was apparently was an issue from the moment the first models rolled out of the factory for National Express contractors. The Translink ones were probably built after that and had the issue fixed. The wind issue was related to driving over the Severn Bridge mostly, which obviously would not be a problem in Ireland!
    In regards to the luggage door, no , any one that I've seen or driven are normal set up of button in can open doors on passenger side (left)

    That's what I would have thought, hence my skepticism about reading that elsewhere. I heard the other comments from a good source but this one was just an unsubstantiated comment from a forum. Luggage capacity being an issue is always a problem on double deck coaches though.
    Your last two points I agree with. I would have no issue seen these Kildare routes go down the way of single deck coach or double deck bus. Not it's current format

    The WitchWay and Red Express are two great commuter routes in Lancashire, probably the most luxurious deckers I've been on, big high backed seats, USB ports, tables, 2+1 seating, luggage rack, really nice lighting. First have something similar with their Vantage Brand and Arriva with Saphire. Non standing versions of things like those with belts would be excellent.

    We just seem to have this quite odd desire to have double decker coaches for commuter services here, despite the fact it's quite a niche market which is reflected in the lack of real competition for tenders for such as aside from VDL you really only have really other manufacturers who have double deck coaches more for intercity or touring work.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    I saw a Bus Eireann VWD yesterday parked up on Talbot Street getting ready to work a 101 to Drogheda it was a city bus with centre doors practically the exact same as a DB SG I know these are probably intended for service in the regional cities but I wouldn't be mad on the idea of one for a long journey where your paying significantly more than you would with DB.

    I don't mind the idea of city bus being used on a regional route but I'd expect at least high back seats with head rests preferably leather. I wonder will GAI will ever end up putting an SG on one of their commuter routes or would the contract allow this.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I saw a Bus Eireann VWD yesterday parked up on Talbot Street getting ready to work a 101 to Drogheda it was a city bus with centre doors practically the exact same as a DB SG I know these are probably intended for service in the regional cities but I wouldn't be mad on the idea of one for a long journey where your paying significantly more than you would with DB.
    That would have been VWD 423, 424 or 425. Intended for Limerick but ended up in Drogheda instead. They needed the extra capacity but it's definitely not the most comfortable for such a long run; I think the LDs would have been a better choice.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    That would have been VWD 423, 424 or 425. Intended for Limerick but ended up in Drogheda instead. They needed the extra capacity but it's definitely not the most comfortable for such a long run; I think the LDs would have been a better choice.

    Why not move some of the single door VWDs with headrests to Drogheda from Cork or Limerick and move the dual door city buses down to Limerick or Cork. Are there any tight turns on this route that might prevent LDs from operating it? I actually saw a VWD on the 133 today I wonder will this be something that will become a common occurrence or is it just a rare allocation.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why not move some of the single door VWDs with headrests to Drogheda from Cork or Limerick and move the dual door city buses down to Limerick or Cork. Are there any tight turns on this route that might prevent LDs from operating it?
    Now you say it, there is. Heading towards Drogheda, south of Julianstown, there’s a very sharp turn where the R132 merges on to the M1 slip road for junction 7.

    They do have some early VWDs but mainly use them on the town services in Drogheda and Balbriggan. You always got one on the 7am 101 to Dublin but looks to be mostly the new VWDs now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero


    TransLink seem to be having a good run with their scania double decks, the only time we've ever seen them in broadstone is minor, such as a mirror bring hit or other damage caused while on the road.

    They could be a runner, the drivers of them do like them and they seem smooth, comfortable and reliable

    If there's no other double deck option then maybe they could go down the city bus double deck route, fit seatbelts and allow 80kmh which is all you are legally allowed to going to edenderry or tullamore. They are all national roads only. The VWDs used to be able to do 80kmh before they brought them back down and I brought one to tullamore on the 120 route and it did it faster than the LD I drove the previous day on the same route at the same time.

    The reason it was faster was because it had a much better gearbox, easier to get around because it was shorter, much more reliable and still had the capacity !

    After that if that doesn't work then go just back to normal coaches because I don't think I've ever filled an LD on 120 or 126


    I've never driven one obviously, but the Translink double deckers are, for a passenger, a pleasure to ride in. They only use them on the Dublin-Derry route (about half the time) and the Belfast-Derry route, which is a shame because, since BE pulled their double deckers from the Ulster routes what has replaced them is dire. The Goldline single deckers are ok but not as nice as the BE double deckers were. I'd kill to get the Translink double deckers on the X1/2a route...I'd kill one of you, right now...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    Now you say it, there is. Heading towards Drogheda, south of Julianstown, there’s a very sharp turn where the R132 merges on to the M1 slip road for junction 7.

    They do have some early VWDs but mainly use them on the town services in Drogheda and Balbriggan. You always got one on the 7am 101 to Dublin but looks to be mostly the new VWDs now.

    Would they not be better off allocating the 182 VWDs to the Drogheda and Balbriggan town services and the older ones on the 101.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull


    devnull wrote: »
    It's a slightly tweaked version of the Go-Ahead Dublin livery, the stripes have been moved slightly closer to the back of the vehicle and the angle of them is a little narrower, with them closer together and the TFI logo has been turned to green from white and the Green stripe has changed colour and a Wifi badge added.

    Minor tweaks but they improve it for me and they really suit that vehicle much more than the BE livery.

    Saw one of those Futura's today that are with Go-Ahead it looks like they've gone back to the version used on the former Dublin Bus routes unfortunately, with the stripes further apart, White TFI logo and old lighter green as used on the Dublin vehicles.

    Not sure why they did that, the tweaked version was better.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    I just don't see why the NTA see the need to have regional and city buses in the same livery they are different types of services it's going to create confusion in the future if and when DB and BE adopt the livery people may confuse say the DB 123 for the regional 123 for example.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10


    I don't think it will, the 123 BE is only ever a single decker coach.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    Kfagan10 wrote: »
    I don't think it will, the 123 BE is only ever a single decker coach.

    But I'd say there will be times where GAI would throw up something different like a double decker coach or even a city bus (not sure if the NTA would allow that) considering that GAIs allocation in Dublin have been fairly random with double deckers appearing on single deck routes and vice versa.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    The fleet allocation for kildare is meant to only be LFs and the new Volvo coaches which are on the way

    This is actually causing serious concern for routes like the 123 because nobody believes an LF will be able to make the small hump back bridges and tight turns in order to do the 123.
    (Yes someone posted here before an LD200 on it once ! But an LD200 is only 12.7-12.9 long and tri-axle which is actually an awful lot better than an LF (which is 14.1 meter long) for turning in tight spaces etc.)

    The new Volvo coaches are confirmed B8RLE @ 13.5m long and only twin axle (100kmh with seat belts and no standees) , these vehicles given their length , will actually be worse for turning and hump back bridges we believe.
    ( Wheelbase 7m, rear overhang 3.75m and 2.75m front overhang). This only allows for an accent of about 6 or 7° .

    So there is genuine concern over this, and to be honest, given the route, roads, low speeds. I think a single deck city bus (short wheel base) from their ballymount fleet would actually be better and I think possibly will end up on this route


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228


    This is actually causing serious concern for routes like the 123 because nobody believes an LF will be able to make the small hump back bridges and tight turns in order to do the 123.
    (Yes someone posted here before an LD200 on it once ! But an LD200 is only 12.7-12.9 long and tri-axle which is actually an awful lot better than an LF (which is 14.1 meter long) for turning in tight spaces etc.)

    That was myself.

    The LD2XXs worked it more than once and were in the past semi-regular on the run.

    Whilst I have never seen a LF on it I have seen the LD3XXs on it on a few occasions and even an SE. The LD3XXs are the same lenght as the LFs and the SEs are only 0.2m shorter.

    VWD8 found itself on the 123 just last week, first time I've seen a VWD on that run meaning I have seen everything in the current fleet bar the LE, LF and DD work the route.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    GM228 wrote: »
    That was myself.

    The LD2XXs worked it more than once and were in the past semi-regular on the run.

    Whilst I have never seen a LF on it I have seen the LD3XXs on it on a few occasions and even an SE. The LD3XXs are the same lenght as the LFs and the SEs are only 0.2m shorter.

    VWD8 found itself on the 123 just last week, first time I've seen a VWD on that run meaning I have seen everything in the current fleet bar the LE, LF and DD work the route.

    Problem I have with reports like this from the city center is they aren't actually factual

    A few months ago lads in the city were reporting an LF on the X8 to cork going out the quays of Dublin, when infact it didn't.... It was being changed over on the way out of Dublin to a different bus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pad199207


    Spotted in Naas today, will these be the new buses ?

    653-CCFD8-03-AC-40-D9-AE84-40-BD038-A7-E85.jpg
    297-FE9-F0-206-E-4-C56-B433-4-D69-E5-DBB2-A2.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pad199207


    Yup confirmed that these will be the new commuter coaches


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    pad199207 wrote: »
    Yup confirmed that these will be the new commuter coaches

    They're the current LFs.

    The new commuter coaches haven't been seen yet


Advertisement