Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Michael D Higgins’ €3,000 a night hotel stays

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

The media enforced censorship over this man's personal life is ridiculous. Why can't we mention the big gay elephant in the room?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/apology-as-forbes-withdraws-homosexual-claim-about-president-michael-d-higgins-29443643.html

Low. Very low.

Even if he is who f**king cares ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Lol you obviously don't rub shoulders with Ireland's political class.
    Here's a question for you: Did you know that Varadkar was gay before he officially came out of the closet to RTE?

No, I don't, oddly enough, rub shoulders with Ireland's political class. Do you? Also, do you have any evidence, apart from tedious innuendo, that he's gay?

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭flookdgates

No, I don't, oddly enough, rub shoulders with Ireland's political class. Do you? Also, do you have any evidence, apart from tedious innuendo, that he's gay?

You remind me of the clueless naive young wans who were falling head over heels in love with Stephen Gately of Boyzone back in the 1990s. Some people are very innocent, god bless them.

The entire county knew Varadkar was a homosexual for years but there was a silent agreement amongst the media not to out him. Taxi drivers and hotel receptionists all over Dublin could have told you he was gay. Eventually the pressure became to much for Varadkar so he gave his infamous coming out interview to RTE.

If any journalist wants to ring up that Swiss hotel they should ask if Michael D and Sabina got separate beds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Always got that vibe off him myself.

I couldn't care less though, he wouldn't be the first politician to stay in the closet. He came up in a different era, I can understand why he kept it hidden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

You remind me of the clueless naive young wans who were falling head over heels in love with Stephen Gately of Boyzone back in the 1990s. Some people are very innocent, god bless them.

The entire county knew Varadkar was a homosexual for years but there was a silent agreement amongst the media not to out him. Taxi drivers and hotel receptionists all over Dublin could have told you he was gay. Eventually the pressure became to much for Varadkar so he gave his infamous coming out interview to RTE.

If any journalist wants to ring up that Swiss hotel they should ask if Michael D and Sabina got separate beds ;)

And your problem with a gay President would be .... ???

• Advertisement

Always got that vibe off him myself.

A bit too fond of the auld bukes, if you ask me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

If any journalist wants to ring up that Swiss hotel they should ask if Michael D and Sabina got separate beds
    My mother and father in law sleep in separate rooms and have done for several years. Should I assume one or both of them is gay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Sean Gallagher should have been President. Higgins was a terrible choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What a creepy post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Claims"

He represents us as a country. He's our president

Where do you want him to stay? At the Travel lodge.

People have little to be offended by these days.

Or "After Hours" as I call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Taytoland wrote: »

Sean "If that man gave me an envelope" Gallagher.

No thanks, I think we have had enough corruption in Ireland without electing more of it.

Taytoland wrote:

That's such an obvious trolling attempt. Try harder.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Taytoland wrote:

That's such an obvious trolling attempt. Try harder.
    He finished 2nd and had lots of support. I just think he would have been better. The job for Higgins is a retirement home. Ireland needs a younger energetic President who will put effort into the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Don't have much time for Michael D. but this is a non-story. Think €3K is on the cheaper side for high class accommodation in Switzerland to be honest.

Taytoland wrote:
    He finished 2nd and had lots of support. I just think he would have been better. The job for Higgins is a retirement home. Ireland needs a younger energetic President who will put effort into the job.

What effort? It's a ceremonial position that requires nothing more than not being a corpse.

Taytoland wrote:

What effort? It's a ceremonial position that requires nothing more than not being a corpse.
    It's not good enough approaching it as such. They need to give opinions and try to give advice to the current government of the day and just overall do a better job. It needs an overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

mariaalice wrote: »
    I doubt he personally books his own hotel room. The person complaining has more of a complaint with the department of foreign affairs and the host country than anything to do with the president.

Correct. The DFA always insists on the best room in the best hotel being booked for Uachtaráin na hEireann.

The logic for this is that it would be very unseemly if they booked His Nibs into a "superior" room in a swanky hotel only to discover that the likes of Mick Smurfit, Conor McGregor (perish the thought!) or the FAI's John Delaney was staying in the "Presidential Suite" of the same hotel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

RobertKK wrote: »
    waiting lists to have health conditions treated now at the 1 million mark

Wait... 1/5 of the population are on hospital waiting lists?

Taytoland wrote: »
    It's not good enough approaching it as such.

Just as well he doesn't approach it like that.
    Taytoland wrote:
    They need to give opinions and try to give advice to the current government of the day and just overall do a better job. It needs an overhaul.

As far as giving opinions is concerned, Michael D. has done a great job - much to the dismay of those who oppose social justice.

Taytoland wrote:
    It's not good enough approaching it as such. They need to give opinions and try to give advice to the current government of the day and just overall do a better job. It needs an overhaul.

It's a non executive position, personally I feel it's a waste of resources and should be abolished not overhauled.

• Advertisement

Taytoland wrote:

It's a non executive position, personally I feel it's a waste of resources and should be abolished not overhauled.
    I said that the other day but seemingly most want to keep it, so maybe reform is needed in some form. Just don't understand what is the point of electing someone to something which carries no power?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I looked up 5 star hotels in Geneva and one could pay a small fraction of the price.
    If people think that all 5 star hotels in Geneva are €3,000 a night then they need to look it up. A lot around the €400 a night, some much cheaper and other more expensive, but not anywhere near the price of where Michael D stayed.

Can you show us where it states he definitely stayed in one of these suites? All i see is he stayed in a suite in a hotel where they can cost up to €3000 per night not that he stayed in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Yes. Almost a million waiting for medical procedures (Irish Times).

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

It's amazing the difference in reaction to this story to the poor family who had to sleep in a garda station last night. €3,000 a night out of taxpayers money, ah not a problem, work away there. A family falling on desperate times, the mother is a scam artist, looking for free houses and taking money from the tax payers.

Taytoland wrote:
    I said that the other day but seemingly most want to keep it, so maybe reform is needed in some form. Just don't understand what is the point of electing someone to something which carries no power?

It would be nice to see a referendum on the position of President. Abolish or keep. Then we would know if people truly want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/national-scandal-almost-one-million-patients-are-on-health-service-waiting-lists-37194846.html
    Almost one million people are on health service waiting lists, according to shocking new figures.
    The compilation of waiting lists figures across the HSE shows nearly a fifth of the population is currently enduring an agonising wait for a health service appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It's amazing the difference in reaction to this story to the poor family who had to sleep in a garda station last night. €3,000 a night out of taxpayers money, ah not a problem, work away there. A family falling on desperate times, the mother is a scam artist, looking for free houses and taking money from the tax payers.

Have you managed to dig up the identity of the father(s) of her six children yet or were you much too busy wringing your hands about her tragic plight?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Turnipman wrote: »
    Have you managed to dig up the identity of the father(s) of her six children yet or were you much too busy wringing your hands about her tragic plight?

What are you talking about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cheers, but if those are right, we've bigger problems than our health service. Who can expect such high a high amount of a population to be seen to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

God you'd swear it was €30,000 per night the way some ppl are talking.

Advertisement