Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you put personal belongings in a gun safe other then guns.

Options
  • 08-08-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Woudl you trust your gun safe to secure your jewellery passports money etc. I was thinking of using my gun safe for that but if some thief spots a gunsafe if he is robbing my house they are going to focus robbing the safe.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

To be honest I have thought about it but for the very same reason that you have said I have not done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Most robberies are aimed for a quick in/out, if they have time to find tools to get into the safe, someone else will have time to turn every inch of the house upside down.

A safe is only a deterrent at the end of the day. The every day robber wouldn't go near a gun safe, they would have no market to offload them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As to your question : Absolutely and I do.

My safes are not in open view, so if they find them then they've done a good number on my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We have glorified strong boxes here,not safes.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Get more than one safe. I have three and a smaller one. Not all i the same location.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I have a few safes also. A full length one for the rifles,shotguns and pistol and another for ammo that i put parts off the guns into. So if the full length one is opened, the guns are useless anyway.

Yes i do put things into the safe , like cash, documents and also things like binoculars, cameras etc.

Also if you can surround your safe with a couple of layers of plasterboard, it greatly helps with fire protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yes, keep passports and a few bits of jewellery in the lockable top section.
    Also keep the will and various birth certs etc there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yes, keep passports and a few bits of jewellery in the lockable top section.
    Also keep the will and various birth certs etc there.

Are we sharing the same gun safe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having a decoy safe can be useful. Keep a few hundred euros in it with some jewelry that looks expensive, together with copies of important documents.
    gunny123 wrote: »
    Also if you can surround your safe with a couple of layers of plasterboard, it greatly helps with fire protection.
    Some safes come with a fire rating built in. Keep safes, especially those with ammo* away from heat generating appliances (cookers, boilers, immersions, etc.) and water sources. Be careful of turning your safe into a pipe bomb - use something approved to hold ammo and don't over-fill it.

* Not that burning ammo is particularly dangerous in a safe, but if the ammo catches fire it will burn intensely, worsening the fire. Heat will also evaporate the oil from the guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    We have glorified strong boxes here,not safes.:P

Ahh thats true but some lads have antique chubb, etc safes converted to gunsafes if you look around you can pick them up for a very reasonable cost because they longer have an insurance rating and so are useless to businesses;)
    ive been on the lookout for a small one as a ammunition safe:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

True,I am on the lookout for a bank vault door,as I intend to convert one small room into a strong room myself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    True,I am on the lookout for a bank vault door,as I intend to convert one small room into a strong room myself.

Theres one for sale on donedeal for 700 euro with keys in limerick;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

Theres one for sale on donedeal for 700 euro with keys in limerick;)

Its just been stolen..!!!

Stanford wrote: »
    Its just been stolen..!!!

Whaaa? Oh the irony:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

Whaaa? Oh the irony:D

Its a joke....I'm from Limerick so I'm allowed to take the p**s

Stanford wrote: »
    Its a joke....I'm from Limerick so I'm allowed to take the p**s

:oTBH its rough enough looking lying in the photo it coulda been robbed outta a old building, Limerick would be rough enough for a stunt like that alright:p

Advertisement