Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf24 second hand advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

McGiver wrote: »
    Sound.
    Anyway, what risks are buying 2nd hand from the UK? One of the ones I'm looking at is UK imported,but thinking about battery degradation mileage doesn't matter that much, 24kW seem to be more affected by time i. e. battery age rather than charging/discharging cycles.

Beyond the usual stuff there's nothing to worry about unique to the Leaf. A large portion of the Leaf fleet here is used imports from the UK. I'd say at least half, if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,942 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Our budget is about €15k. I'm looking at either 151/2 or 161 Leaf XE optimally with a fast 6.6kw charger. I'm focusing on Leaf 24 as the battery degradation with Leaf 30 seems worse

Maybe you shouldn't. The L30 has 8 year battery warranty, the L24 only 5 years

The L30 is almost in your budget and is likely to keep it's value better. All L30 are worth at least €3k more than similar L24, which was the cost of the battery upgrade option

Not often that any option retains 100% of its value over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry I didnt think the 30kWh was only 2k more. I would go with range first. Something like the below.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-tekna-30kw-long-range-cold-pack-2016/19263901

Also electric autos have one at decent money

Outside the box choice
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2015-152-volkswagen-golf-electri-dublin-fpa-201808019019269

Jesus they have dropped €2500 off that price in a few days.....If I was you I would grab it now......

That eGolf looks like good value.

unkel wrote: »
    That eGolf looks like good value.

Incredible value

It was up for 19k only a few days back.....odd to drop so quick

The last eGolf was sold at 20-22k by a dealer at that spec....maybe 4 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭McGiver

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Incredible value

It was up for 19k only a few days back.....odd to drop so quick

The last eGolf was sold at 20-22k by a dealer at that spec....maybe 4 months ago

Is it a good car? 90,000 kms seems a lot...

The eGolf is an excellent car. And an excellent EV. The first generation one like in the link has a fairly limited range though, probably a bit less than a Leaf 30 that's a year newer and goes for similar money. That said, I'd pick the eGolf any time if I didn't have 3 kids :)

unkel wrote: »
    The eGolf is an excellent car. And an excellent EV. The first generation one like in the link has a fairly limited range though, probably a bit less than a Leaf 30 that's a year newer and goes for similar money. That said, I'd pick the eGolf any time if I didn't have 3 kids :)
    I'm not a racer or a car enthusiast. I need to get from A to B, reasonably quick, safe, cheap but not dirty. Don't care how it looks and if it doesn't drive like a Formula 1.

Is it a good car? 90,000 kms seems a lot...

60,000km on it. I have 54,000 on mine. Same year

The car is brillant. Really lovely to drive and so comfortable.

Other things to note
    - It will hold value better than Leaf, this might not be 100% correct now with the lack of cars on the road and Leaf hard to find. But once the market balances the eGolf should hold value based on previous experience
    - The battery is a lot better, degradation is minimal from the comparisons done so far. One person in US took analysis of battery on leaving plant, after 80,000km the battery still gave the same health :D

- No major faults, each Leaf has had a major issue. The only one at the moment is they might recall all eGolf for a free replacement of charge port. This is due to a material in the port which VW didn't know about
    - Range: On a bad day in winter I get 120km. On a good day in summer you will get 170km(close to 30kWh Leaf). A guy in eGolf gets 170km daily, he is in Limerick but not on boards. I drive my car hard to say the Least
    - Carnet app is good....you can track every km and every kW you use. So at you can tell exactly how much electricity you are using and your long term kWh/100km....Please note the Carnet app after 4 years is a cost so get them to throw in a year free
    - Regen: You have multiple modes. 1-3 is selected by pushing the gear stick to the left 1-3 times and then right 1-3 to deselect. This changes the force of the regen....these dont turn on brake light....
    Then you have B mode, pull back on gear stick. This is really aggressive and more or less can give you single peddle driving....this puts on brake lights....very good for Ireland lovely twisty back road....
    - Charge port: CCS,.....the future....
    - Service costs are low as well.....
    - Stereo system in mine anyway is way better to anythign in Leaf, so is the satnav
    - Lights: It looks a thing of beauty at night with those lights:D

As you can tell I like the eGolf:P

60,000km on it. I have 54,000 on mine. Same year

The car is brillant. Really lovely to drive and so comfortable.

Other things to note
    - It will hold value better than Leaf, this might not be 100% correct now with the lack of cars on the road and Leaf hard to find. But once the market balances the eGolf should hold value based on previous experience
    - The battery is a lot better, degradation is minimal from the comparisons done so far. One person in US took analysis of battery on leaving plant, after 80,000km the battery still gave the same health :D

- No major faults, each Leaf has had a major issue. The only one at the moment is they might recall all eGolf for a free replacement of charge port. This is due to a material in the port which VW didn't know about
    - Range: On a bad day in winter I get 120km. On a good day in summer you will get 170km(close to 30kWh Leaf). A guy in eGolf gets 170km daily, he is in Limerick but not on boards. I drive my car hard to say the Least
    - Carnet app is good....you can track every km and every kW you use. So at you can tell exactly how much electricity you are using and your long term kWh/100km....Please note the Carnet app after 4 years is a cost so get them to throw in a year free
    - Regen: You have multiple modes. 1-3 is selected by pushing the gear stick to the left 1-3 times and then right 1-3 to deselect. This changes the force of the regen....these dont turn on brake light....
    Then you have B mode, pull back on gear stick. This is really aggressive and more or less can give you single peddle driving....this puts on brake lights....very good for Ireland lovely twisty back road....
    - Charge port: CCS,.....the future....
    - Service costs are low as well.....
    - Stereo system in mine anyway is way better to anythign in Leaf, so is the satnav
    - Lights: It looks a thing of beauty at night with those lights:D

As you can tell I like the eGolf:P

That sounds all grand but:
    How to measure SOH easily before buying? There's no app like leafspy for eGolf.
    Infrastructure seems sparse? I've read about ionity but until I see it in place where I live, I'd be skeptical.

• Advertisement

That sounds all grand but:
    How to measure SOH easily before buying? There's no app like leafspy for eGolf.
    Infrastructure seems sparse? I've read about ionity but until I see it in place where I live, I'd be skeptical.

Ask them if they got done at last service. if not ask before buying to bring to VW. They will do. I don't know of a Leafspy like application.

CCS is far better than it was a few months ago. Ecars have swapped most units to have a CCS charger. I don't know you location so can't comment but I go down to Cavan a lot and not a charger in the county:P with eGolf you get both cables with the car so I will use granny cable.

Do you plan on using public system much? I know it's free but really it wil cost you 2 euro at home and a lot less stress

P.S I am not saying the Leaf is a bad car. It does have issues but it is a great car.

That is fantastic price for the eGolf.

Plus the Leaf Gen 1 is horrible looking :-)

Ask them if they got done at last service. if not ask before buying to bring to VW. They will do. I don't know of a Leafspy like application.

CCS is far better than it was a few months ago. Ecars have swapped most units to have a CCS charger. I don't know you location so can't comment but I go down to Cavan a lot and not a charger in the county:P with eGolf you get both cables with the car so I will use granny cable.

Do you plan on using public system much? I know it's free but really it wil cost you 2 euro at home and a lot less stress
    Galway. I'd say 50-50 public vs home charging.

Galway. I'd say 50-50 public vs home charging.

I would try to reduce that by getting longer range.

Im at 99% home.....

Advertisement