Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

All things Mavic Air

1356716

Comments

  • #2


    tedpan wrote: »
    Any news?


    My Mavic is all tucked up in it's box, waiting to be collected by UPS back to the netherlands for inspection/repair. Honestly a bit worried I'll end up being charged a ton, but the issue is still there :(


  • #2


    jogdish wrote: »
    My Mavic is all tucked up in it's box, waiting to be collected by UPS back to the netherlands for inspection/repair. Honestly a bit worried I'll end up being charged a ton, but the issue is still there :(

    Did u get the dji refresh care? they ll send u a new one for 90 euro i think, i got mine this week and am losing video signal at 100 ft :(


  • #2


    Cupatae wrote:
    Did u get the dji refresh care? they ll send u a new one for 90 euro i think, i got mine this week and am losing video signal at 100 ft


    The replacement is losing signal at 100ft?


  • #2


    tedpan wrote: »
    The replacement is losing signal at 100ft?

    No i havent replaced mine, the original is losing signal at 100ft, im tryna figure out if its something im doing wrong or if its the location or the drone ect..


  • #2


    Range Test from this morning. 2.2kms, pretty impressed :)


  • #2


    tedpan wrote: »
    Range Test from this morning. 2.2kms, pretty impressed :)
    When I had my Air I got, 4.1km(8.2 round trip) but I was using the range 'hack'


  • #2


    jogdish wrote:
    When I had my Air I got, 4.1km(8.2 round trip) but I was using the range 'hack'


    Nice! 2kms with no hacks is plenty range for me anyway :)


  • #2


    tedpan wrote: »
    Nice! 2kms with no hacks is plenty range for me anyway :)
    Ya it's not something I will be a rush to do again, there was mild to major panic on the return journey.


  • #2


    meanwhile...im happy to get above 120 ft without losing signal haha


  • #2


    Cupatae wrote: »
    meanwhile...im happy to get above 120 ft without losing signal haha
    Have you looked at the DJI Air forums? I seem to recall this being a common issue but having an "easy" fix, perhaps I am mixing it up with something.


  • #2


    Cupatae wrote: »
    Did u get the dji refresh care? they ll send u a new one for 90 euro i think, i got mine this week and am losing video signal at 100 ft :(
    As a general update for anyone that cares:
    1. My problem was a gimbal not keeping a level horizon - video in previous post
    2. I do not have DJI care refresh, sent it back for "repair" as it is still under warrenty.
    3. Email, after 2 working days of it arriving with DJI, to let me know it was a defective gimbal, and is under warrenty and will be repaired free of charge.
    4. Says no liquid damage, no crash damage, defectove gimbal - being super honest it has impacted a tree branch and washing line and shows a tiny mark on the body - so they seem to not be looking for reasons to screw me over.
    5. Currenty online says, waiting for Flight test, then Quality assurance.
    So far so good, fingers crossed!


  • #2


    jogdish wrote: »
    Have you looked at the DJI Air forums? I seem to recall this being a common issue but having an "easy" fix, perhaps I am mixing it up with something.

    Tried it in a different location worked perfect.


  • #2


    Any good bargains out there?? Am thinking will buy in the next few weeks for my Christmas pressie (from my wife!) Before prices go up too for Xmas.

    Black Friday is Nov 23rd maybe then?

    Am in debate on fly more combo or just getting extra batteries separately.

    Decisions decisions!


  • #2


    jogdish wrote: »
    As a general update for anyone that cares:
    1. My problem was a gimbal not keeping a level horizon - video in previous post
    2. I do not have DJI care refresh, sent it back for "repair" as it is still under warrenty.
    3. Email, after 2 working days of it arriving with DJI, to let me know it was a defective gimbal, and is under warrenty and will be repaired free of charge.
    4. Says no liquid damage, no crash damage, defectove gimbal - being super honest it has impacted a tree branch and washing line and shows a tiny mark on the body - so they seem to not be looking for reasons to screw me over.
    5. Currenty online says, waiting for Flight test, then Quality assurance.
    So far so good, fingers crossed!
    Update to the above:
    1. Drone back today via UPS, its a brand new drone! Going to have to wait for daylight and weather before I test.


  • #2


    elbyrneo wrote: »
    Any good bargains out there?? Am thinking will buy in the next few weeks for my Christmas pressie (from my wife!) Before prices go up too for Xmas.

    Black Friday is Nov 23rd maybe then?

    Am in debate on fly more combo or just getting extra batteries separately.

    Decisions decisions!

    Get the Fly More Combo, it's more than just a couple of extra batteries :)


  • #2


    theothernt wrote: »
    Get the Fly More Combo, it's more than just a couple of extra batteries :)
    I know I am in the minority here, and having never owned the fly more maybe I am not in a position to give advice.
    Personally apart from the batteries , its just a bag and some inexpensive gear that you can pick up later should you ever need it. I posted before about the DJI bag, and the bag I ended up buying.


  • #2


    elbyrneo wrote: »
    Any good bargains out there?? Am thinking will buy in the next few weeks for my Christmas pressie (from my wife!) Before prices go up too for Xmas.

    Black Friday is Nov 23rd maybe then?

    Am in debate on fly more combo or just getting extra batteries separately.

    Decisions decisions!

    Id recommend the Mavic Air fly more bundle its a great bita kit! just order an sd card with it but make sure its fast enough for 4k res


  • #2


    Hi All,


    Just sold my Phantom 3 Advanced and looking to get an Air or Pro. The Air specs all seem better so I'm verging towards that but how does it handle high winds? With us flying in Ireland, we'll be lucky to get a still day. Thanks.


  • #2


    Chavways wrote: »
    Hi All,


    Just sold my Phantom 3 Advanced and looking to get an Air or Pro. The Air specs all seem better so I'm verging towards that but how does it handle high winds? With us flying in Ireland, we'll be lucky to get a still day. Thanks.
    Personally I only would fly on calm days - but thats just me, however I have had it in the air during winds and its pretty impressive - then again tis my first drone.
    Seems very stable here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoURhYOBOw


  • #2


    Chavways wrote: »
    Hi All,


    Just sold my Phantom 3 Advanced and looking to get an Air or Pro. The Air specs all seem better so I'm verging towards that but how does it handle high winds? With us flying in Ireland, we'll be lucky to get a still day. Thanks.

    it does very well in winds the air, it disables its censor so it can pitch down more, something the pro doesnt do, its nice to have but id still try avoid windy days tbh


  • #2


    Thanks all. I think I'll go for the Mavic Air. Will wait ti out until Black Friday to see if there are any good deals around.


  • #2


    Chavways wrote: »
    Thanks all. I think I'll go for the Mavic Air. Will wait ti out until Black Friday to see if there are any good deals around.
    Let us know all the details and how she flies


  • #2


    Cupatae wrote: »
    it disables its censor so it can pitch down more, something the pro doesnt do,

    Where are you getting that from ?!


  • #2


    Cupatae wrote: »
    it does very well in winds the air, it disables its censor so it can pitch down more, something the pro doesnt do, its nice to have but id still try avoid windy days tbh

    Air has a good few extra tricks - but Pro is still better imho. For the Ocusync signal stability and it flies better in high wind.


  • #2


    ozmo wrote: »
    Air has a good few extra tricks - but Pro is still better imho. For the Ocusync signal stability and it flies better in high wind.

    The Pro doesn't disable obstacle detection so it doesn't pitch down as much as the Air and struggles when flying against the wind compared to the air. I dunno about the pro 2, Ocusync is way better tho.


  • #2


    Cupatae wrote: »
    The Pro doesn't disable obstacle detection so it doesn't pitch down as much as the Air and struggles when flying against the wind compared to the air. I dunno about the pro 2, Ocusync is way better tho.

    Mavic does indeed handle the wind very well... it tilts as much as needed...

    I’ve flown the Mavic Pro in ~60km/h winds :)

    See below - this was the snow blizzard last feb...

    2zhf4gw.jpg


  • #2


    ozmo wrote: »

    I’ve flown the Mavic Pro in ~60km/h winds :)

    I wouldn't be saying I was flying in 60km winds based on an online wind guide.


  • #2


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQpf4oEJWg

    Thats the video, i checked out before i bought the air, the pro struggles and drifts compared to the air.

    Im not saying the pro is bad or anything just from what ive seen the air is meant to be better in winds.


  • #2


    Effects wrote: »
    ...based on an online wind guide.

    This isn't based on the weather forecast - It's extra data extracted from the drone log files you have to upload to the service- its a well regarded service - and yes it really was that windy!
    The site that does this is https://airdata.com/


    I wouldn't fly normally in winds over 20km/h - but that day I wanted to get the snow before it melted... and it handled it no problem - I would be nervous sending the Air up in that....

    I've nothing against the Mavic Air - I own both Air and Pro (why Im on this thread).

    The picture quality of the Air is far better - the sensors, return-to-home via path of the Air is better, follow me, speed, better quick shots, the focus is easier and the drone is smaller.

    But imho the Mavic Pro wins hands down in
    * Signal Reception
    * Longer flight time before battery change
    And for those two reasons alone its the drone I tend to use most.

    Thanks for the video link -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQpf4oEJWg

    I always felt more confident flying the pro in winds (gusts at cliffs etc)- but I will re-test them following the video you posted


  • #2


    ozmo wrote: »
    This isn't based on the weather forecast - It's extra data extracted from the drone log files you have to upload to the service- its a well regarded service - and yes it really was that windy!
    The site that does this is https://airdata.com/


    I wouldn't fly normally in winds over 20km/h - but that day I wanted to get the snow before it melted... and it handled it no problem - I would be nervous sending the Air up in that....

    I've nothing against the Mavic Air - I own both Air and Pro (why Im on this thread).

    The picture quality of the Air is far better - the sensors, return-to-home via path of the Air is better, follow me, speed, better quick shots, the focus is easier and the drone is smaller.

    But imho the Mavic Pro wins hands down in
    * Signal Reception
    * Longer flight time before battery change
    And for those two reasons alone its the drone I tend to use most.

    Thanks for the video link -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQpf4oEJWg

    I always felt more confident flying the pro in winds (gusts at cliffs etc)- but I will re-test them following the video you posted

    There both good, its a preference thing, i prefer the portability of the air, the fly more extra batteries give more than enough flight time for me aswell

    I wouldnt say the Pro wins hands down its apples and oranges really, it wins if the race is flight time and occusync but if its portability and speed, it loses.. if ya get me! depends what you value more.

    Either way both good drones id prob be happy with either but the air suited my needs better.


Sign In or Register to comment.