Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

I wouldn't be surprised if that got retconned, the whole "Starfleet only uses one-ish type of ship because it makes more sense" (it doesn't) thing was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From a storytelling point of view, they've also just told Data's story. They brought him back once to give him his full proper goodbye in Picard already, so would be a terrible choice to bring him back yet again. It's done.

If they insist upon another Spiner character, would expect it to be either the fella from season 1, or Lore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, Adam Soong is still alive, right? Then there we go; gotta work in Dash (sic) as well anyway, so I expect a return to the Planet of the Droids and thus Spiner's inclusion.

Haha I just had an evil thought. All the TNG cast? None of them return as their presumed characters, but new ones. Muahaha.

Altan. Adam is the one from the 21st century. Not to be confused with Arik, the one from the 22nd century. They must have lost all but the first few pages of the Big Book of Boy Names.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage, I kinda wanna see it happen. Not like it could make the show any worse to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya season 2 was shocking. Season 3 at least will be approached with absolutely zero expectations for me.

Season 3 returning the TNG cast just makes the whole thing feel like gaslighting, if I'm using the right term. Like the production know it has treated us like ****, then turns around and trots out the nice stuff like nothing ever happened.

I don't think that's the right use of gaslighting. Gaslighting is more like articles that claim Disco and Picard are actually good Star Trek and it makes you doubt your own perception of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I still have two episodes to go so no spoilers please. Although I will most likely finish the season before checking back here.

Picard and his team have travelled to 2024 but the technology at the pre-launch gala and Soong’s house is way ahead of current technology.

why have they used such advance tech in the show when it wasn’t needed and is so out of place?

Soong is recently disgraced scientist. How has he suddenly been accepted in the board of the Europa mission? And who did he talk to get a team of special forces soldiers?

Orla Brady is always a welcome sight but her mission to only ever observe Renee Picard makes no sense - how is she protecting her if she doesn’t go near her? If it hadn’t been for Picard she wouldn’t have known the therapist was manipulating her.

And the “observe only” rule doesn’t fit with the aliens “monitors. Gary Seven and others like him were tasked with directly interfering to ensure mankind and Earth were safe.

It is nice to see a Star Trek show directly referencing other series like Picard talking about Kirk’s adventures. However it was disappointing that the writers haven’t the imagination to not copy The Voyage Home. The punt on the bus and the “I only work in outer space” are cringe moments.

• Advertisement

The 2020s in the Star Trek universe isn't our 2020s.

Clearly but it should be.

I’ve one episode to go and other than the story of Picard and his mother which had been handled beautiful (although it took far too long to unfold) the season 2 has been pointless and very messy.

Q changes the history of the galaxy to make Picard face the truth about his mother? This kind of thing is something the likes of Q wouldn’t understand.

Agnes and the Borg Queen have joined together and set off to 21st century Delta Quadrant to create a new friendlier Collective meaning the Borg don’t conquer, Picard never becomes Locutus and the battle of Wolf-359 and the First Contact movie never happens?

And what was the point of the Fox Mulder guy? Did the producers suddenly realise they only had 9 episodes?

I really liked the story of Picard and his mother and the performances were great.

I also liked the Talin/Renee story and happily retract my earlier criticism as it turns out Talin did more than just observe her.

However the rest was a mess. De lancie gave a good performance in his final scenes but I don’t buy that Q could ever understand humans enough to see or care that Oucard was damaged or want to fix it.

And the time travel was a ridiculous mess. Time travel is supposed to change things - the whole “it already happened” is a such lazy writing. As is recycling funny moments from the Shatner movies.

The alternate history is a consequence of how long the franchise has been running, we caught up.

My read on the new Borg is they're a parallel Borg society operating in secret until they show up in 2400

I get that the world caught up but could still have used present day technology. Soong was just too advanced.

And Agnes just lets the the Borg run rampant and does nothing?

And even before they all travelled back in time it had already happened so that none of it mattered anyway.

Picard’s story was really really good and heartbreaking.

It really did deserve a better story around it.

And with a little expansion the Talin/Renee story would have made a great non time travel Assignment Earth sequel mini series.

As I’m here, I have wondered if there was ever a reason given in TNG why Picard doesn’t have a French accent.

Now I have to ask a new question - why are all the Picards British?

By this point in Star Trek history humans had mastered genetic engineering so the drones aren't much of a stretch for me

There's a quick line early in the season that says

The Picards were just returning to the chateaux from a few generations of living in the UK in the child Jean-Luc scenes.

Because ... casting?

As a serious answer, IIRC Stewart tried a French accent but all agreed it was terrible so they just stuck with his normal voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The fact that this show was made has spoiled Star Trek.

I don’t remember that but okay that explains Jean-Luc and his parents but what about Reneé? Talin actually mentions that she grew in France.

We all know Stewart is a Brit and we all know the story that he couldn’t do the accent, Roddenberry didn’t want him, etc. - as I said in my post a reason given in TNG - as in “in-universe”.

And the reason isn’t casting anyway. Mitchell and Wise are not British.

Also, I believe that isn’t Stewart’s “normal voice”. He learned to speak that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its his 'normal' voice for acting roles though not a special Picard one. Started elocution while still in school and then RSC trained. From Yorkshire originally so not the voice he grew up with.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I would pay real money to hear Stewart play Picard with a thick Yorkshire accent.

Ya call dat a spayship? In mah day...

[/MontyPython]

That is what I meant. ;)

I probably should have have said real voice or original voice as you are correct in calling how he speaks day to day his normal voice -

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yep it was learned as you said. On Desert Island Discs, I heard he had the same elocution teacher as Brian Blessed... Pity we never same BB in Trek.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

My brain just exploded.

Imagine who he could have been? Q? the Cardassian who tortures Picard? The Borg King? Data? the Captain?

:p

• Advertisement

Post edited by Evade on

Advertisement