Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eww. Enterprise F looks like crap. Not a fan of many of these post Nemesis designs TBH; they all lack ... something. Coming from someone who loves the Miranda class more than any other design though, that mightn't amount to much 🤓 They kinda come across like someone trying to design a non copyright-infringing spaceship. Star Track!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

The neck is too thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What neck? I just they the tail is too thin but that otherwise it is a nice ship. More like an evolution of the Enterprise-E Soverign class than Voyagers Intrepid class as someone else mentioned Voyager above.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭corkie

NOTE: - The F is a 2011 fan design submitted in a competition!

The Enterprise-F is not the focus of Star Trek Online, and its Andorian Captain Va’Kel Shon is not a character that its customers can usually play as. It was introduced into the game in 2012 (although Shon had already featured) and its design was, in a brilliant piece of fan engagement, the result of a competition on StarTrek.com, won by fan Adam Ilhe, whose original winning design (above) and the renders made from it can still be seen here. It’s lovely, all swooshy and forward thrusting, influenced by, but also an improvement on the Enterprise-E

https://www.herocollector.com/en-gb/Article/star-trek-voyages-of-the-enterprise-f

The USS Enterprise-F | Star Trek Explained

431,682 views 3 Jan 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Rawr

It often felt that these later varients of the Enterprise were just attempts to rehash the wonderfully balanced design of the Enterprise E. The later designs all screamed of "What if I just take the Enterprise-E and add (insert bad idea here)".

I somewhat fear that the Enterprise F would probably go that route since the Copy / Paste fleet in Season 1 came out "all Sovereign Class" (As Cpt. Freeman would likely say). I hope not, since it does look like they can pull off some good designs. I really did like the new Stargazer. If I were them I would try to do something other than an overweight Sovereign Class clone and work on an Enterprise design with it's own character.

If they were smart about this (a BIG ask with Kurtzman in the room) they would put the work into designing a proper hero-ship like they used to do before. No more phoning it in with the Crossfield Class or whatever the hell La Serena was supposed to be, but a proper Enterprise that we can get to know. And then if they were smart (glaring at Kurtzman again), Picard Season 3 might be a really good setup for a new Enterprise F show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I take your point and there's always hope (even if it's the thing that kills you), but that photo of the stairs is proof enough - alongside the existing production design - that the creatives in control of design with nuTrek are a bunch of hack fools. At least the JJ Enterprise intentionally wanted something that looked like an Apple Store, the exterior like a hotrod spaceship. Both aspects you could see in the final products; what are these nuTrek supposed to resemble? LaGenerica in Picard is presumably riffing on the Rocinante but it's so badly done.

At least Strange New Worlds has the baseline of trying to riff on 60s Trek to keep itself focused - it'll be interesting to see what the "new" designs in that look like; ships or aliens that didn't exist from TOS. that'll be the telling part.

There is that. Whatever talent they had back in the day for design has clearly not been replicated, and that teaser image does make my heart sink a bit.

I was thinking the other day how forward-thinking and clever the TNG era designers were. I'm wondering if they had somehow managed to predict the rise of simplifed Dark Themes on computer displays with their Okudagrams and LCARS layouts. Just like contemporary dark themes, they seem to be a lot easier on the eye and very easy to take in. Clearly the Okudas knew their stuff, even back then. It could of course be a fluke that their designs remind me of what came to pass, but my gut tells me that they were simply very good at their jobs and cared about readability & quality.

Lately we don't seem to have an Okuda couple involved in Trek. Instead we have a new batch of designers who seem to have very little grasp of good UX design and have a bizarre fixation on transparent light-up displays which just adds to the visual soup of current Trek shows. Gone are the days were we too would get a couple of seconds to see the LCARS display reporting on what was happening, and instead we get rotating shaky-cam while the cast breathlessly scream information dumps at us. Hopefully they can get their act together at some point.

I don't think the TNG era displays predicted dark mode. I think they were a continuation of the TMP displays which seemed to be based on the green text on black background displays of the 60s to 80s.

Another advantage of LCARS was being able to date the ship by the diplay. Multicoloured LCARS meant a relatively new ship, mostly greens and blues were at least 50 years old without a refit

• Advertisement

That brings up an excellent point, design language. The TNG designs were clearly built up to differentiate itself from TOS / Movies. There's this clear progression from stark utilitarian style of TOS to a more comfortable cruise-liner-ish style of the Galaxy Class, and then all the way to a fusion of both styles in the late TNG era for example on Voyager.

The Discovery-era shows have their own design language too, but all it seems to say is "We wanted to make JJ-Movies, so we're making this TV-show instead."

Having the same corridor set in use for over 20 years probably helped the sense of "this is a continuation of the previos era."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Though I will say, they put that corridor set (and the TOS transporter set in TNG) to good use. You can tell that the Enterprise D is large, the Defiant is cramped, and Voyager is newer through small redesigns and refits. Using the same set did prompt some creativity. God knows how many bridges the D's battle bridge stood in for! While it could be considered doing things on the cheap, it added to the idea that these were new iterations of a standard design concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thing about Voyager though is that Captain's Ready room. A small office on Enterprise D, as someone put it before, bigger then a studio apartment on Voyager. Also Engineering, while using the same set as TNG as far as I'm aware, was a good deal wider in front of the Warp core. For a smaller ship, it sure had bigger working rooms.

You probably already knew this but the Enterprise E sickbay set was a redress of the Voyager set in First Contact.

I think the Defiant corridor set was completely new, they didn't normally share sets both series would use frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Finally mustered up the effort to finish season 2 and my summary opinion is that it’s crap.

There’s just so much wrong that it’s hard to list them. I’m at the point where I wish this series didn’t exist at all.

Ms

You probably already knew this but the Enterprise E sickbay set was a redress of the Voyager set in First Contact.

Was Voyager in First Contact I never noticed. Dam may go back and watch that now lol only kidding.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Despite the number of new sets created for the film, the production once again reused old material, including turbolift wall sections dating back to 1979's Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Sections of the starship Voyager from Star Trek: Voyager were cannibalized for the film, as filming was to take place between that series' second and third seasons. Voyager's sickbay was repainted and redressed for use as Doctor Crusher's sickbay, and the Voyagercargo bay set became the Enterpriseweapons locker with relatively little modification.

The set was used but I don't remember voyager appearing in the film?

I'm pretty sure the Bellerophon from Inter Arma Enim Silent Legis is the only other Intrepid class ever show on screen.

They watched episode 10. I think it might have broken them.

• Advertisement

Will Wheaton's rictus grin in this "aftershow" clips is the stuff of mundane tragedy.

Poor Mike and Rich, hopefully Strange New Worlds remains along its gentle upward curve and they find it a palette cleanser from this garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No, but if you look at this scene, the position of all the beds, the line pattern on the wall that my TV doesn't like when I'm watching Voyager, it's clearly the sickbay set from Voyager just with softer lighting and different doors. Voyager even used that same escape panel during the season 2 to 3 two parter "Basics"

We didn't visit Sickbay in Insurrection but it had a whole new look in Nemesis because the Voyager set was long gone.

Well, if you're fool enough to like the show ...

Ms

I will admit I bought some of the ones leading up to Star Trek 09 only because of that and looked at many others in forbidden Planet but a long time ago now. Would I buy them now no not bothered.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GeorgeStobart2022

Since its been confirmed that the next gen cast will all be in S3 of Picard and its also been confirmed they will all be together I am wondering who Brent will play since Data is Dead

I dunno, it could just be Yet Another Soong. The de-ageing in Season 1 was ... not great and the tech in general extremely ropey unless very cleverly used. IE, briefly and in the distance, as they did with Q in Season 2. Not to mention being something that'd eat into the budget the more Spiner was part of the season.

There's nothing saying Data can't choose to appear to age like his friends and colleagues, he had that skunk streak in the future sections of All Good Things after all.

I rally hope it's not another Soong.

• Advertisement

Star Trek: Picard definitively stated that Data's plan to return in B-4's body failed. This contradicts Star Trek: Countdown, a 2009 comic book miniseries that set up J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie. In the comic, B-4 successfully became Data and he then took over from Picard as Captain of the Enterprise. However, most Star Trek comics and novels aren't considered official canon and Star Trek: Picard has debunked that possibility.

What's now official canon is what Jean-Luc learned in "Remembrance" when he visited the Daystrom Institute in Okinawa and met with Dr. Agnes Jurati (Alison Pill), the world's foremost expert in cybernetics: Data's memory engram transfer failed because B-4 was an inferior copy with a far less sophisticated positronic brain. As Jurati summed it up, ultimately "B-4 wasn't much like Data at all." Further, B-4 was dismantled and his parts are in storage at the Daystrom Institute.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-b4-theory-debunked-data-resurrection/

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/B-4

Advertisement