Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher necessary?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

how.gareth wrote: »
    I’m 42 and have never owned a dishwasher in me life. They are far from necessary. If it’s tight for space I reckon most people would prefer the extra kitchen press for storage

I knew a couple who ended up with two dishwashers after the got married. They plummed them in and used both with clean dishes being taken out of one after a wash to use and the dirty dishes going into the other and so on. They have little need for cupboard space for storing crockery.

My wife was once asked whether she ever have any trouble with her dishwasher. She thought about it for a moment and then replied - 'nah he's normally quite good at the doing the dishwashing' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭imokyrok

gozunda wrote: »
    I knew a couple who I know ended up with two dishwashers after the got married. They plummed them in and used both with clean dishes being taken out of one after a wash to use and the dirty dishes going into the other and so on. They have little need for cupboard space for storing crockery.

My wife was once asked whether she ever have any trouble with her dishwasher. She thought about it for a moment and then replied - 'nah he's normally quite good at the doing the dishwashing' ;)

And oldie but a goodie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I've only ever lived in a house with a dishwasher for 9 months (was in college) and forgot it was there. Never had one growing up.

But. Would love one now. Renting a 2 bed with my partner and we've no dishwasher. Washing the dishes is a pain in the arse. We wouldn't be able to fit one in here. Saying that there are only two of us so we don't really need one. When we buy a house we'll be getting one straight away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you didn't have a dishwasher you'd cook very little, or just boring dishes that requires little effort. Just looking at what I cooked yesterday and everything i used for just the mise en place almost filled the dishwasher by itself. If I knew I had to wash all that manually then there would be zero chance I would even have cooked that dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

gozunda wrote:
    I knew a couple who I know ended up with two dishwashers after the got married. They plummed them in and used both with clean dishes being taken out of one after a wash to use and the dirty dishes going into the other and so on. They have little need for cupboard space for storing crockery.

This is as lazy and ludicrous as my sister in law having two vaccum cleaners - one for downstairs and one for up so she doesn't have to carry one up and down. Such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dial Hard wrote: »
    This is as lazy and ludicrous as my sister in law having two vaccum cleaners - one for downstairs and one for up so she doesn't have to carry one up and down. Such nonsense.
    Actually if you've the space for two dishwashers it's a great idea. No need to empty the dishwasher into a cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How is two dishwashers lazy? It’s practically a cupboard when it’s not in use.

Someone who has two dishwashers is using their brain imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kceire wrote: »

I think it’s clear from this thread that it’s a personal choice. It’s not essential but it sure helps with everyday life. Washing machines are not essential, clothes can be washed by hand also, but they sure do help.

Everybody to their own so don’t get upset if another poster doesn’t need one but don’t attack the loser because of their choice of what appliances they deem necessary.

Not quite sure where you're getting notions of upset or an attack from. The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine and the thinking behind it. YMMV and that's just fine.

The difference between hand washing dishes and hand washing clothes is enormous. The latter is heavy work that takes hours with not nearly as good a result unless you have at least a mechanical wringer. The former takes 10 minutes a day and gives as good as result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know what people cook or eat but I spend more than 10 minutes per day just washing stuff that can't go or won't fit into dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This thread hurts my brain. It's very very simple to live without a dishwasher, just don't be a lazy <mod snip> and take 5-10 minutes in the evening to wash the dishes at the sink.

We're a family of 4, myself and my wife both work 40+ hours a week so I don't buy for a second that they are essential for a family.

I used to think like yourself, that a dishwasher was not necessary. Didnt have one for years and didnt see the point. But now I have one and wouldnt be without it. Its one of those things you think you do not need but then when you have it youre glad of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not quite sure where you're getting notions of upset or an attack from. The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine and the thinking behind it. YMMV and that's just fine.

The difference between hand washing dishes and hand washing clothes is enormous. The latter is heavy work that takes hours with not nearly as good a result unless you have at least a mechanical wringer. The former takes 10 minutes a day and gives as good as result.

No it doesn't. I have been without a working washing machine for nearly a year and it takes very little time.. NB Not my original choice but that there were promises to plumb it in as never a washing machine here before.... I gave up trying as it was less hassle to wash by hand .

Love my ESB bill too..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

awec wrote: »
    Actually if you've the space for two dishwashers it's a great idea. No need to empty the dishwasher into a cupboard.

Seriously considering it when I re-do the kitchen. Only issue is remembering which is clean and which is dirty before you put something dirty and dripping on the top shelf!

Existing dishwasher was second hand (dumped on me really), is now 18 years old and has needed a new drain hose and nothing else. Still looks relatively modern as the Bosch Clasixx line that was sold until recently is identical

Buy decent quality, do the occasional cleaning cycle wash with a proper detergent for the purpose and they will last for huge amounts of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

Graces7 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. I have been without a working washing machine for nearly a year and it takes very little time.. NB Not my original choice but that there were promises to plumb it in as never a washing machine here before.... I gave up trying as it was less hassle to wash by hand .

Love my ESB bill too..

Where are you getting the hot water from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

A dishwasher's just a nice luxury (though very handy to have and I personally wouldn't do without), but I'd be straight to the RTB about having no washer, for sure.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't live without one (well I probably could) but jesus the amount of time they save.

We run ours daily, on a quick 20 min cycle.

If you have the option to put one in, I don't see why you wouldn't?!

It's a bit like a washing machine, isn't it!? No one would dream of handwashing clothes :D

I do and it really is no great hassle.

Bojill wrote: »
    Where are you getting the hot water from?

Good question. When the stove is lit, back boiler provides more than I need. In summer, a pan on the gas cooker, and rinse cold.

I would not have chosen, like folk here, to do it this way, but far less hassle than trying to get someone out.. and works fine. I am nearly 80 and we were raised differently is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Dishwasher uses a ridiculous amount of water for the job at hand. Unless it was a family of at least 4 I'd do without it.
    By hand washing you are not waiting to fI'll the machine nor using lots of water to wash a pair of plates.

There are lots of things not necessary but its nice to have. Are you saving the pennies for the after life ?

Hmmmm.. we do not all have "the pennies". The fewer machines, the fewer to replace etc. I lived years in rentals with dishwashers and never felt any inclination to use them.

It is an individual choice... But a luxury not a necessity

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dishwasher uses a ridiculous amount of water for the job at hand. Unless it was a family of at least 4 I'd do without it.
    By hand washing you are not waiting to fI'll the machine nor using lots of water to wash a pair of plates.

Dishwasher’s use 10 liters of water or less. And for a full load that you’d need a few sink fills of water it represents a water saving over washing by hand. Unless you use one sink of water to wash the equivalent amount of dishes that would fit into a dishwasher :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jester77 wrote: »
    If you didn't have a dishwasher you'd cook very little, or just boring dishes that requires little effort. Just looking at what I cooked yesterday and everything i used for just the mise en place almost filled the dishwasher by itself. If I knew I had to wash all that manually then there would be zero chance I would even have cooked that dish.

3 of us and 90% of dinners are cooked from scratch. Wash as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

3 of us and 90% of dinners are cooked from scratch. Wash as you go.
    Hah, yeah that's a habit thing. When my wife makes basically anything, even beans on toast, there'll be a stack of pots and 20 utensils to wash.

When I make the same thing, she'll have a single pot and 1 or 2 utensils to wash because I clean as I go.

Nevertheless, I can't imagine doing the dishes by hand. 3/4 times a day, taking 20 minutes to do the washing up? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm actually thinking about getting more aggressive with it; at the moment we don't put pots in unless the dishwasher is nearly full anyway. But I'm thinking I might just lash everything in and put it on every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, a warning! If you do this, and make them very comfortable, your sons may never move out. ;)

On the dishwasher, we have one, loads of benefits.  I'd drop a microwave and a tumble dryer before I'd lose a dishwasher. 
    - You can hide all the dirty dishes in there, so they are not piled up looking manky around the kitchen. 
    - Children find it very easy to tidy up after themselves if it is literally putting their plate and cutlery in the same spot every day after use. 
    - We are not giant consumers, so don't have or need to store mountains of crockery. We have the amount we need for a days use. 
    - We set it on a timer, it uses night rate electricity, and very little water, much more efficient and eco friendly than hand washing. 
    - The dishes get cleaner. Dishes washed in a sink inevitably have a film of filth on them from dirty water towards the end. Plus it's a waste of towels to dry them.

imokyrok wrote: »
    And oldie but a goodie. :)

I knew a couple who were so bad at washing up they used every plate etc then bought paperplates from woolies rather than wash up .. he worked but she was at home all day

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Eventually it will be a self contained 3 bed. I could possibly plumb in a washer dryer in the large upstairs airing cupboard but would have to come up with a way to contain inevitable leaks. I wonder how that's done in apartments to prevent water staining ceilings below.
    You could put a tiled floor with drain below going to the outlet pipe. Apartments usually have a concrete floor nowadays and the leaks are contained by the non porous floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

When we moved into our one bedroom flat, the first thing I did was buy a dishwasher - simply because both of us hate washing up, especially after a long day. It was another chore that we could do without, and likely wouldn't be done until we'd run out of plates. So I got a tabletop version and plumbed it in as neatly as I could beside our washing machine. Its about twice the size of a microwave, and two people would fill it every day with plates, pots, pans etc
    Small dishwashers are more expensive than full size strangely, and hard got in Ireland.

Everything we use goes into it, pans and pots included and we have not had to wash up once. I'd say it's the best thing I've ever bought and saved on countless rows. As we have electric heating and an electric shower, it's also meant we haven't had to use the immersion, so has probably saved us some money too - but that's beside the point.

So while not necessary to provide one, I'd at least provide the space and connections if your tenant wanted one. I'd never be without one, lifes for living, not washing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Graces7 wrote: »
    I knew a couple who were so bad at washing up they used every plate etc then bought paperplates from woolies rather than wash up .. he worked but she was at home all day

Crikey! I have to admit I wouldn't be without mine and it is still a chore to fill and empty it everyday. Not nearly as bad as handwashing though. That was one of my jobs as a kid. I hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you cook properly the washing up gets done as you go, so it takes effectively no time whatsoever.

And the major advantage is that it dries in minutes, away in the press, and nothing to do later.

After the meal, washing four plates and cutlery takes about a minute.

Crikey! I have to admit I wouldn't be without mine and it is still a chore to fill and empty it everyday. Not nearly as bad as handwashing though. That was one of my jobs as a kid. I hated it.

Me too, like peeling potatoes. Good for character building!

I wash up the few things I have while the potatoes are cooking or water heating for coffee... Does not worry me. And prevents it building up..Life is too short to hate anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

If you do decide against the dishwasher, I’ve always admired the design you find in Southern Europe where the kitchen cabinet above the sink is a hanging dishrack - you wash and put them away and it drip dries directly into the sink. Close the cabinet doors and it’s hidden away from sight too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement