Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher necessary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Graces7 wrote:
    There have been dishwashers in a few rentals. Only use I ever had for them was storing crockery..

We get it, Peig Sayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Except that you still end up hand washing all the stuff thats not diswasher safe or that you want to use immediately and not wait for the next cycle. Very little savings IMHO.

In over 20 years of always having a dishwasher that has yet to happen. I've enough dishes and cutlery and everything is dishwasher safe apart from some electrical attachments. More than worth the savings and effort involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I think that kind of project might take value off of the property. Maybe that’s not a concern for you as you won’t be selling.

€100 a week I take it you’re not in a city? Had you considered airbnb for the extra income? It’s also a fun little business.
    Or Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The amount of time they save is unreal and I don’t even have kids. I couldn’t live without one. If I was looking to rent I wouldn’t even view a place without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Who in God's name runs their dishwasher daily? I grew up in a family of 7 and the dishwasher still didn't go on every day.

Family of four and we probably do two loads per day. I cook most days and we don't really eat preprepared diners or take outs.

I could live without if there were only two of us but as a family you need one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who in God's name runs their dishwasher daily? I grew up in a family of 7 and the dishwasher still didn't go on every day.
    Pretty much everybody? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

She brought me into the world and gave me life. She looked after me until I was old enough to cook,clean and look after myself in an approximate way. She looked out for all the trials and tribulations in life.

My mother was a great dishwasher.

My Father, possessing the diplomatic skills of Mike O'Leary actually bought an electrical version the week my mother was in hospital having an operation that could have changed or ended her life. ( It didn't, she was a tough old bird....).

The appalling timing and unilateral purchase of the dishwasher did not go down well with her when she was discharged from hospital because my father had asserted we could not afford one until she became unable to do the dishes because of illness.

When it came to him or one of us children having to do the dishes the will and money were somehow found to get the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

That’s because you did the washing up by hand every day !!!!
    We had a lot of delph. Also, cooking utensils and good kitchen knives were verboten from going in the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A dishwasher is a must.

My girlfriend & I would usually run ours 4 to 5 times a week, very handy after cooking to throw everything in and let it run, also I do be in no mood for washing up and drying after a long days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

awec wrote: »
    Pretty much everybody? :confused:

Either you have a really tiny dishwasher, a really small set of plates and flatware, or a really big household. I use way too many dishes and it still takes me at least half a week to run out of stuff and/or fill up the dishwasher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are doing up a flat, put a dishwasher in. It isn’t essential but it is a good thing to have. Irish and English people are often not that bothered about it but the French in particular and Americans often really expect it. The more bedrooms there are, the more important it is.

If I were living in it myself I would definitely have one, even for myself alone.

If you want to put a washer but are concerned about leaks put in a drip tray, like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camco-20752-Washing-Machine-Fitting/dp/B000PS8J64

It is basically a shower tray that the machine sits in. I have never had occasion to fit one yet but I can see the logic of habibg a washing machine upstairs and using one of these to protect against leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭imokyrok

If you are doing up a flat, put a dishwasher in. It isn’t essential but it is a good thing to have. Irish and English people are often not that bothered about it but the French in particular and Americans often really expect it. The more bedrooms there are, the more important it is.

If I were living in it myself I would definitely have one, even for myself alone.

If you want to put a washer but are concerned about leaks put in a drip tray, like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camco-20752-Washing-Machine-Fitting/dp/B000PS8J64

It is basically a shower tray that the machine sits in. I have never had occasion to fit one yet but I can see the logic of habibg a washing machine upstairs and using one of these to protect against leaks.

Thanks for that link. That's the sort if thing I was thinking of for an upstairs washer but had never seen one.

The more I think of it and see posts here the more I think the dishwasher must go in. I myself run one daily and I have vivid memories of the state of shared men's houses way back in my student days. In one house I watched a chap take an encrusted saucepan from a pile of dirty dishes and open another can of beans into it to heat. Then someone picked up an old piece of bread and butter sitting on the table and underneath was crawling with maggots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

If you are doing up a flat, put a dishwasher in. It isn’t essential but it is a good thing to have. Irish and English people are often not that bothered about it but the French in particular and Americans often really expect it.

It seems from this thread that Irish people for the most part do think it’s essential.

I still think you wouldn’t be saving anything and they must be more expensive than washing by hand after you consider the price of the machine, electricity and tablets.

As the landlord you’d also have to take into account that your tenant isn’t going to care about the lifespan of electrical appliances they don’t own. You will definitely find a tenant without installing a dishwasher.

I did find it surprising that it would only cost €2.40 a month to run it daily though. That is good if it’s the right figure. Depends on a number of variables I’m sure.

100% necessary imo, I wouldn’t rent a place that didn’t have one it’s a complete necessity as I have no desire or inclination whatsoever to have to wash up by hand. I’d gar prefer a dishwasher than an extra cupboard contrary to a few other posters. You can use the dishwasher as a cupboard anyway.
    #meToo.

I haven't lived with one since 1994.

Dishwashers are for lazy feckers who don't want to clean up after themselves.

Don't get one and you get a better class of tenant.

This post is in with a shout of winning the “biggest load of nonsense ever posted on boards” award that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Essential. My boyfriend and I rented a place for about two years that didn't have one, talk about an absolute pain in the arse. A dishwasher was no.1 on our priority list when looking for a new place, or even just the connections for dishwasher so we could buy our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This thread hurts my brain. It's very very simple to live without a dishwasher, just don't be a lazy <mod snip> and take 5-10 minutes in the evening to wash the dishes at the sink.

We're a family of 4, myself and my wife both work 40+ hours a week so I don't buy for a second that they are essential for a family.

• Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This thread hurts my brain. It's very very simple to live without a dishwasher, just don't be a lazy bastard and take 5-10 minutes in the evening to wash the dishes at the sink.

We're a family of 4, myself and my wife both work 40+ hours a week so I don't buy for a second that they are essential for a family.
    Well of course, if you're willing to put the effort in you could live without anything. If you were willing to walk everywhere you could live without your car etc etc.

But dishwashers are cheap, incredibly convenient and save on the mundane task of washing dishes so people can do more interesting things with their life. They will also, invariably, do a better job with the dishes than dishes washed in a sink (especially glassware). It is unsurprising that they are considered essential in 2018.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

#meToo.

I haven't lived with one since 1994.

Dishwashers are for lazy feckers who don't want to clean up after themselves.

Don't get one and you get a better class of tenant.

Nonsense. Dishwasher’s and class of tenants are so far apart from been connected.

I think it’s clear from this thread that it’s a personal choice. It’s not essential but it sure helps with everyday life. Washing machines are not essential, clothes can be washed by hand also, but they sure do help.

Freezers are not essential, same goes for tv, internet, kettles and toasters. None are essential but they sure help out with everyday life.

Everybody to their own so don’t get upset if another poster doesn’t need one but don’t attack the loser because of their choice of what appliances they deem necessary.

awec wrote: »
    Well of course, if you're willing to put the effort in you could live without anything. If you were willing to walk everywhere you could live without your car etc etc.

But dishwashers are cheap, incredibly convenient and save on the mundane task of washing dishes so people can do more interesting things with their life. They will also, invariably, do a better job with the dishes than dishes washed in a sink (especially glassware). It is unsurprising that they are considered essential in 2018.

Exactly, if your are happy to waste time doing tasks like that fire away but I’ve no interest.

I wouldn’t be without a cleaner coming into clean the house either, I’m sure some would say its a waste but to me it’s some of the best value for money I get never having to hover, dust or wash floors etc is well worth the money and the time and effort saved too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Our dishwasher has been broken for 2 years now. I keep meaning to get it sorted or replaced, but I haven’t been pushed. I don’t miss it 99% of the time. The only time I’ve found myself really missing it is when we have guests over, like Christmas, and you end up with a lot of ware to wash. Otherwise, I find myself looking at the space and thinking that I’d really prefer another cupboard there.

I think though, most people would expect one. Especially families

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Exactly, if your are happy to waste time doing tasks like that fire away but I’ve no interest.

I wouldn’t be without a cleaner coming into clean the house either, I’m sure some would say its a waste but to me it’s some of the best value for money I get never having to hover, dust or wash floors etc is well worth the money and the time and effort saved too.

Notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

An ATC undersink water heater, usually a 10l capacity, is also a good thing to have in the house.

It plumbs into the hot tap and it can be set from 60 deg C upwards to provide instant hot water without waiting for an immersion heater to heat up.

Provided you have adequate undersink space and the necessary skills to install it it can be done for about €200. You will need to get an electrician to install the necessary spur supply unit and wire up the heater to the mains supply. The heater and parts alone should cost €125.

This makes dishwashing by hand, especially greasy fry washups, a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

doolox wrote: »
    An ATC undersink water heater, usually a 10l capacity, is also a good thing to have in the house.

It plumbs into the hot tap and it can be set from 60 deg C upwards to provide instant hot water without waiting for an immersion heater to heat up.

Provided you have adequate undersink space and the necessary skills to install it it can be done for about €200. You will need to get an electrician to install the necessary spur supply unit and wire up the heater to the mains supply. The heater and parts alone should cost €125.

This makes dishwashing by hand, especially greasy fry washups, a doddle.

It is one way to do it certainly. On the other hand, for an extra 150 or 200 euros you could have a dishwasher. You typically wouldn’t need the spur wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

meeeeh wrote:
    Family of four and we probably do two loads per day. I cook most days and we don't really eat preprepared diners or take outs.

Granted there are only two of us here but I cook from scratch every day and the dishwasher still only goes on about twice a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In the context of you converting a one bed self contained unit- that you're proposing to let for a hundred a week- honestly- you should be equipping it to the minimum standards- not an all bells and whistles approach.

When you said you were only thinking of charging a hundred a week- and you're in Co. Dublin- I'm sure a lot of people were scratching their heads. I get it- your kids are still at home and everything- but a hundred a week is not the going rate for a 1 bed self contained unit anywhere in Ireland- anywhere at all.........

The more you move away from the provision of minimal equipment and/or standards- the longer the list of items that can go wrong.

While I've never had a dish washing machine (and I grew up in a family of 7 kids- and now have two kids of my own)- I just don't understand the manner in which a lot of people seem to worship their dish washers and couldn't dream of life without them.

If you were going for a professional couple or a family- who would be predominantly cooking at home- and were paying market rent- it would be far more cut and dry- give them the washing machine. This is not the situation- you have specifically noted that you intend to charge vastly less than the going rate- and only want singletons- as families are too much trouble. Most singletons do not cook from scratch all that often- and have lesser demands on kitchen and utensil use- than would a couple or a family.

Given the context you've given- its very hard to suggest you equip the unit with anything other than minimum requirements- I have no idea where you got the idea that a hundred a week was fair or reasonable- honestly- you'd be mobbed if you had an advertisement up with this on it- it bares no cognisance of what the reality is of renting in Ireland.

The fact that its 'rural Rush Co. Dublin, not all that close to shops or other facilities or amenities' doesn't enter the picture. Most Irish people are used to commuting for hours each way- the fact that they have to pop into the shop on their way home- honestly- its not a factor.

If you are going to go to the trouble of kitting this out to a very high standard- you really need to cop on and run it as a going concern- your idea of a hundred quid a week- will make you a laughing stock with any prospective tenants- and regardless of any stories you've heard from family/friends of issues with tenants- you are setting yourself up for an epic that will make any other trouble you've heard of pale in comparison..............

Run it as a going concern- professionally, cognisant of the rights and obligations of both the tenant and your rights and obligations as landlord. Once you stray into this twilight zone of 'sure I'll charge a hundred quid a week and we'll all be grand'- you're screwed, royally screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

how.gareth wrote: »
    I’m 42 and have never owned a dishwasher in me life. They are far from necessary. If it’s tight for space I reckon most people would prefer the extra kitchen press for storage

There are lots of things not necessary but its nice to have. Are you saving the pennies for the after life ?

In the context of you converting a one bed self contained unit- that you're proposing to let for a hundred a week- honestly- you should be equipping it to the minimum standards- not an all bells and whistles approach.

When you said you were only thinking of charging a hundred a week- and you're in Co. Dublin- I'm sure a lot of people were scratching their heads. I get it- your kids are still at home and everything- but a hundred a week is not the going rate for a 1 bed self contained unit anywhere in Ireland- anywhere at all.........

The more you move away from the provision of minimal equipment and/or standards- the longer the list of items that can go wrong.

While I've never had a dish washing machine (and I grew up in a family of 7 kids- and now have two kids of my own)- I just don't understand the manner in which a lot of people seem to worship their dish washers and couldn't dream of life without them.

If you were going for a professional couple or a family- who would be predominantly cooking at home- and were paying market rent- it would be far more cut and dry- give them the washing machine. This is not the situation- you have specifically noted that you intend to charge vastly less than the going rate- and only want singletons- as families are too much trouble. Most singletons do not cook from scratch all that often- and have lesser demands on kitchen and utensil use- than would a couple or a family.

Given the context you've given- its very hard to suggest you equip the unit with anything other than minimum requirements- I have no idea where you got the idea that a hundred a week was fair or reasonable- honestly- you'd be mobbed if you had an advertisement up with this on it- it bares no cognisance of what the reality is of renting in Ireland.

The fact that its 'rural Rush Co. Dublin, not all that close to shops or other facilities or amenities' doesn't enter the picture. Most Irish people are used to commuting for hours each way- the fact that they have to pop into the shop on their way home- honestly- its not a factor.

If you are going to go to the trouble of kitting this out to a very high standard- you really need to cop on and run it as a going concern- your idea of a hundred quid a week- will make you a laughing stock with any prospective tenants- and regardless of any stories you've heard from family/friends of issues with tenants- you are setting yourself up for an epic that will make any other trouble you've heard of pale in comparison..............

Run it as a going concern- professionally, cognisant of the rights and obligations of both the tenant and your rights and obligations as landlord. Once you stray into this twilight zone of 'sure I'll charge a hundred quid a week and we'll all be grand'- you're screwed, royally screwed.

You've misunderstood. The one bedroomed self contained unit is for me. All I have to do is lock the door from my kitchen into the hallway. I have a separate entrance. That results in a separate 3 bedroomed home the size of an average semi d to rent out once I put in the kitchen. Because my 2 sons will have a bedroom each there, in the short term I'll just be renting out the remaining single bedroom. As we are a couple of miles from shops and transport a 100 a week is probably about right. With another 100 a month to cover utilities. Its not a lot but it should repay the kitchen conversion quickly enough.

imokyrok wrote: »
    You've misunderstood. The one bedroomed self contained unit is for me. All I have to do is lock the door from my kitchen into the hallway. I have a separate entrance. That results in a separate 3 bedroomed home the size of an average semi d to rent out once I put in the kitchen. Because my 2 sons will have a bedroom each there, in the short term I'll just be renting out the remaining single bedroom. As we are a couple of miles from shops and transport a 100 a week is probably about right. With another 100 a month to cover utilities. Its not a lot but it should repay the kitchen conversion quickly enough.

I will research the local going rate some more. If I think I can get more I'll go for it.

• Advertisement

There will be no tenants, this is a rent a room scheme with licensees given the information provided by the op. This applies to either the renting f a room or the renting of the self contained unit.

Advertisement