Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the north outside EU changes everything for the island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

bilston wrote: »
    Very possible, but the spite towards Britain and Unionists displayed by some doesn't engender confidence in me that a United Ireland will work either.

I say that as an anti Brexit 30 something middle class, middle of the road Unionist who dislikes the Orange Order and DUP and is exactly the sort of person you need to target if you want a United Ireland.

I'm not sure what to say to this. If we have a United Ireland, Unionists will just be ordinary citizens like any other. Just with a better standard of living and better prospects, as Brexit Britain implodes.

What kind of assurances do you want? This will soon be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well I'm afraid with that attitude you don't get your United Ireland because you have lost any moderate Unionists who might be persuaded.

Fcuk 'em tbh. Why should we change a single thing about our country to accommodate them?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Also, thought you lads must be wrong regarding Mary Lou's comments. I just checked and there it is. To say i'm flabbergasted would be an understatement. How ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Very possible, but the spite towards Britain and Unionists displayed by some doesn't engender confidence in me that a United Ireland will work either.

I say that as an anti Brexit 30 something middle class, middle of the road Unionist who dislikes the Orange Order and DUP and is exactly the sort of person you need to target if you want a United Ireland.

I'm not sure what to say to this. If we have a United Ireland, Unionists will just be ordinary citizens like any other. Just with a better standard of living and better prospects,  as Brexit Britain implodes.

You will have to put us on reconstruction classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Unionists have badly messed this up, Brexit could be the rock the Northern Irish state perishes on, people will not easily tolerate a hard border in their own country again. It won’t be sustainable in the long term.
    When you hear unionists arguing that a 70% majority should be required to change the constitutional status it is game over.
    The island’s economy, particularly in the North, will be better off after reunification.
    Southern political parties need to stop ignoring partition (in fairness there is a bit more talk about it now) it’s important to show people from a unionist background that they will be equals here and a 32 county state can offer them more opportunities.
    I think a lot of people would be happy if the Constitutional status quo remained, but it’s very hard to see that going on for another generation. Northern Ireland never became an integrated society and the demographics have changed too much.
    The Republic will need to make adjustments to recognize traditional unionists, flag, anthem etc, these things will have to change unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I'm not sure what to say to this. If we have a United Ireland, Unionists will just be ordinary citizens like any other. Just with a better standard of living and better prospects, as Brexit Britain implodes.

Ian Og Paisley will have to get everything he wants regardless of how dodgy he is . We might even have to make him King if he says " Make it so "

Taytoland wrote: »

I don't know what this means.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm not sidestepping anything.

I'm not sure any hypothetical scenario can be described as a fact.

May did a deal that sold unionists out. Fact.

Nothing hypothetical about it

Unionists have badly messed this up, Brexit could be the rock the Northern Irish state perishes on, people will not easily tolerate a hard border in their own country again. It won’t be sustainable in the long term.
    When you hear unionists arguing that a 70% majority should be required to change the constitutional status it is game over.
    The island’s economy, particularly in the North, will be better off after reunification.
    Southern political parties need to stop ignoring partition (in fairness there is a bit more talk about it now) it’s important to show people from a unionist background that they will be equals here and a 32 county state can offer them more opportunities.
    I think a lot of people would be happy if the Constitutional status quo remained, but it’s very hard to see that going on for another generation. Northern Ireland never became an integrated society and the demographics have changed too much.
    The Republic will need to make adjustments to recognize traditional unionists, flag, anthem etc, these things will have to change unfortunately.

I dont see what adjustments need to be made? They continue to wave their flags and bang their drums if they want, even though it seems ridiculous to me that they would want to. Go ahead lads.

blinding wrote: »
    Ian Og Paisley will have to get everything he wants regardless of how dodgy he is . We might even have to make him King if he says " Make it so "

Ian Paisley Jr. may not even be an MLS soon, due to his taking bribes from the Sri Lanka governmet.

• Advertisement

Taytoland wrote: »

I don't know what this means.
    You will need a reconstruction platform to beat the backwardness out of us.

Ian Paisley Jr. may not even be an MLS soon, due to his taking bribes from the Sri Lanka governmet.
    I think you mean MP . Surely the good people of North Antrim will send him packing and asking God for forgiveness .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

things will have to change unfortunately.

By consent. We will not be entertaining Unionist demands, those days are over.

Unionists should be negotiating their place in a future UI now from a position of relative influence rather than waiting until they've lost all goodwill.

Some Parts are more important than other parts . When it suited Angela she made a decision directly against the wishes of other parts of the Eu . The Germans and the French will do what suits Germany and France most . If you think that the 26 counties on the far side of Britain will be their primary concern then you are deluding yourself .Some Irish people have been wrong about the British Empire ( in believing that Ireland was an integral part of it ) and the Catholic Church ( in thinking that the good of the Irish people was primary in the Catholic church ) . We have been down these roads before and we have been very badly let down by outside institutions .

Brexit will not change our relationships within the EU blinding. Much as you would like it.

The EU has been beneficial for us overall, in a massive way.

Will we experience negative things in the future, of course we will. But ultimately it is where we should be as a progressive, modern society. Not playing battleships with a nation that is devouring itself because it cannot cope with the reality in post empire normality that it is a small cog in a big world.

Brexit will not change our relationships within the EU blinding. Much as you would like it.

The EU has been beneficial for us overall, in a massive way.

Will we experience negative things in the future, of course we will. But ultimately it is where we should be as a progressive, modern society. Not playing battleships with a nation that is devouring itself because it cannot cope with the reality in post empire normality that it is a small cog in a big world.
    The British People just want to run their own Country .

And let them work away at it. But they cannot manage to extract themselves without massively hurting their own country.

So, they will have to do a deal which requires them to accept the terms on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

It has become very apparant to me that there are a number of right wing folk that have come on to boards in the last month or two. Many posting thousands in a matter of months. Im pretty sure they are not Irish. I have closed them down on serveral occasions using a lil known thing called FACTS.

I encourage my fellow boardsies to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

I dont see what adjustments need to be made? They continue to wave their flags and bang their drums if they want, even though it seems ridiculous to me that they would want to. Go ahead lads.

Well ... it would be great if a United Ireland could *finally* disentangle religion from education and medicine. Make all schools and hospitals secular.

That would be a good thing in its own right, IMO, and we could get on with it anyhow in the meantime.

And let them work away at it. But they cannot manage to extract themselves without massively hurting their own country.

So, they will have to do a deal which requires them to accept the terms on offer.
    I hope they get the best deal they can and wish them all the best running their own Country .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I hope they get the best deal they can and wish them all the best running their own Country .

What countries in Europe are not "running their own countries"?:confused:

• Advertisement

What countries in Europe are not "running their own countries"?:confused:
    The 26 Counties is not running the Health Service and its Housing Policy is non existent . It does not control its currency , borders and Eu laws take Precedence .

It has become very apparant to me that there are a number of right wing folk that have come on to boards in the last month or two. Many posting thousands in a matter of months. Im pretty sure they are not Irish. I have closed them down on serveral occasions using a lil known thing called FACTS.

I encourage my fellow boardsies to do the same.
    What is your point? Are only Irish people allowed to use the forum or something?:dizzy:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

things will have to change unfortunately.

By consent. We will not be entertaining Unionist demands, those days are over.

Unionists should be negotiating their place in a future UI now from a position of relative influence rather than waiting until they've lost all goodwill.

Has there ever mean much good will?
    For example Mary Mc Aleese comparing Unionists to Nazis.

And this hard border nonsense has only been an issue because the Irish Government raised it to cause ****e.
    It was never going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

But while retaining the advantages of pooling country running with other countries.
    How so many people miss the contradiction in what they are asking for is bizarre. And see one part of the UK as just a nuisance in their pursuit of that aim.

Madagascan wrote: »
    Has there ever mean much good will?
    For example Mary Mc Aleese comparing Unionists to Nazis.

And this hard border nonsense has only been an issue because the Irish Government raised it to cause ****e.
    It was never going to happen.

Of course there is plenty of good will and there always has been. The hand has been out for many years and is only now being taken, still somewhat reluctantly.

If unionists think they can take hate politics into a UI they are sadly mistaken though. They have to leave that in history. It is over.

Of course there is plenty of good will and there always has been. The hand has been out for many years and is only now being taken, still somewhat reluctantly.

If unionists think they can take hate politics into a UI they are sadly mistaken though. They have to leave that in history. It is over.

Sinn Fein would have to make a dramatic gesture too though - that all SF MPs from the 32 counties would take their seats in Westminster would be a start. And a greater devolution of power to the Dublin parliament from Westminster as a follow up.

Sinn Fein would have to make a dramatic gesture too though - that all SF MPs from the 32 counties would take their seats in Westminster would be a start. And a greater devolution of power to the Dublin parliament from Westminster as a follow up.

A UI would be electing MPs? Say what? :eek:

A UI would be electing MPs? Say what? :eek:

Sure. The 26 joining the commonwealth as a precurser to a UI. Then rejoining, and no border at all on the island, and the damage to social and economic cohesion on the island is minimised. It solves the unsolvable in the Brexit negotiations, and permits a geniune, good for both sides, soft Brexit deal to be agreed. The 26 has moved well on from the England as the bad guy opressor and exploiting empire bully motif, and has to be pragmatic given that some form of Brexit is happening. That it restores a UI, even if not the independent republic (which is only a trimming anyway, and not integral to real life), would be a good thing for everyone. A final solution at last.

Sure. The 26 joining the commonwealth as a precurser to a UI. Then rejoining, and no border at all on the island, and the damage to social and economic cohesion on the island is minimised. It solves the unsolvable in the Brexit negotiations, and permits a geniune, good for both sides, soft Brexit deal to be agreed. The 26 has moved well on from the England as the bad guy opressor and exploiting empire bully motif, and has to be pragmatic given that some form of Brexit is happening. That it restores a UI, even if not the independent republic (which is only a trimming anyway, and not integral to real life), would be a good thing for everyone. A final solution at last.

Ah right. You have started a movement. Good luck with that one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A final solution at last.

We will not be going backwards. We will integrate further in the European project and this will help protect us from our troublesome neighbour.

Advertisement