Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the north outside EU changes everything for the island

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Squeeze what? And to what end?

The have squeezed and have had to let go.

You keep theorising about this but dry up when asked for any detail.
    The Eu gives Britain a bad deal and Ireland returns the serve particularly to Ireland . Britain could tie up a lot of Irish trade in British bureaucracy . Not just the trade to Britain but also the trade that goes through Britain .

• Registered Users Posts: 67,147 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blinding wrote: »
    The Eu gives Britain a bad deal and Ireland returns the serve particularly to Ireland . Britain could tie up a lot of Irish trade in British bureaucracy . Not just the trade to Britain but also the trade that goes through Britain .

And then what?

We realise that trade will suffer, but that we can overcome.

What else can they do?

Once Britain is out, no amount of squeezing Ireland is going to help them.

And then what?

We realise that trade will suffer, but that we can overcome.

What else can they do?

Once Britain is out, no amount of squeezing Ireland is going to help them.
    One assumes that the Eu will not allow a bad deal for the 26 Counties . Why would it do this to part of the Eu .

One assumes that the Eu will not allow a bad deal for the 26 Counties . Why would it do this to part of the Eu .

The EU will suffer, some areas of it, more than others. It is a union, it will use it's entire resources to cope with that.

It isn't the EU's fault if a 'bad deal' ensues. There is a good deal for everyone on the table that mitigates the worst of the damage, but the UK so far, refuses to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sure if ya are going to look at it like that then the 26 counties should have stayed in the British Empire .

When People democratically decide they want to run their own country then they should be allowed to do so .
    Yes. And if they want to run their country by having it remain in, or rejoin, the EU, they should be allowed to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I hope the Eu does not lose focus on the 26 counties , 6 months , 12 months , 18 months , etc down the line .

A Bad deal for Britain can only be a bad deal for the 26 Counties . Why would the Eu do this ?
    The EU isn't doing this. The EU is pressing for a good deal for the 26 counties. It's the UK that's holding out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

zapitastas wrote: »
    The only ones that would advocate for that would be you and an insane homeless fella called mad Mickey that lives down on the boardwalk

Dont be so cocky. Sinn Fein getting the ball rolling on it now with the start of 'nudge' change, flying the kite on the 26 rejoining the Commonwealth.
    Mary Lou included : "The debate has to have the capacity to put everything on the table and then the business of debate and discussion in a reflective way, not a divisive way,” she said.
    A journey of a thousand paces begins with one step.

Dont be so cocky. Sinn Fein getting the ball rolling on it now with the start of 'nudge' change, flying the kite on the 26 rejoining the Commonwealth.
    Mary Lou included : "The debate has to have the capacity to put everything on the table and then the business of debate and discussion in a reflective way, not a divisive way,” she said.
    A journey of a thousand paces begins with one step.

Sure, there will be those who will try to place it on the table, and there is nothing to stop them.

Then it has to gather wide support. This is were it gets binned and we move on to discuss practical options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sure, there will be those who will try to place it on the table, and there is nothing to stop them.

Then it has to gather wide support. This is were it gets binned and we move on to discuss practical options.

Sinn Fein is not an insignificant segment of the discussion either north or south.
    Many havent seen it yet, but its with these type of acorn plantings of ideas, that grow slowly to become a standard part of the political lanscape.
    Joining the commonwealth would be a step in the direction of rejoining tge UK. Apart from ditching Brexit completely, no other outcome is as good for the six. So only reasonable that the only all island party should be floating ideas in that direction. Like German reunification, it would test the mettle of the south's true commitment to its northern cousins and foot the bill.

Sinn Fein is not an insignificant segment of the discussion either north or south.
    Many havent seen it yet, but its with these type of acorn plantings of ideas, that grow slowly to become a standard part of the political lanscape.
    Joining the commonwealth would be a step in the direction of rejoining tge UK. Apart from ditching Brexit completely, no other outcome is as good for the six. So only reasonable that the only all island party should be floating ideas in that direction. Like German reunification, it would test the mettle of the south's true commitment to its northern cousins and foot the bill.

Everything 'needs' to be discussed.
    But those ideas with no support will wither on the vine. And judging by the almost non existent support for the idea of joining the commomwealth, it will die quicker than most ideas.
    Nobody who has any care for Irish people would suggest a closer alliance with an entity that has shown itself willing (as recently as this month) to carelessly harm us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nobody who has any care for Irish people would suggest a closer alliance with an entity that has shown itself willing (as recently as this month) to carelessly harm us.

Well I'm afraid with that attitude you don't get your United Ireland because you have lost any moderate Unionists who might be persuaded.

It had never really occurred to me before, but reading a lot of the comments on here have made me realise that a United Ireland could easily become a hostile place for Unionists.

Check out today's Boards classsic thread "why are Nordies so nuts"

bilston wrote: »
    Well I'm afraid with that attitude you don't get your United Ireland because you have lost any moderate Unionists who might be persuaded.

It had never really occurred to me before, but reading a lot of the comments on here have made me realise that a United Ireland could easily become a hostile place for Unionists.

Unionists are smelling the coffee too Bilston.
    You would have to be blind not to now see that Whitehall, and the British people care very little about what happens here. They will trample over the 'loyal' citizens of the north if it gets them a better deal.

Check out today's Boards classsic thread "why are Nordies so nuts"

Making any assessment of the mood of a country based on a 'boards' thread is foolhardy not to mention self serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Ireland is part of the EU, has benefitted greatly from membership, and is unlikely to disengage from the EU in any meaningful way in the short to medium term.

A United Ireland would have to mean the 6 counties move into the EU.

Closer union with the UK was never an easy sell, a closer union with Brexit Britain is pretty much unthinkable.
    How hostile or not a United Ireland would be to unionists would (IMO) very much depend on the attitude of unionists.

How would anyone even know you were a unionist in a united Ireland? Would you go around wearing a sash?

Unionists are smelling the coffee too Bilston.
    You would have to be blind not to now see that Whitehall, and the British people care very little about what happens here. They will trample over the 'loyal' citizens of the north if it gets them a better deal.

Very possible, but the spite towards Britain and Unionists displayed by some doesn't engender confidence in me that a United Ireland will work either.

I say that as an anti Brexit 30 something middle class, middle of the road Unionist who dislikes the Orange Order and DUP and is exactly the sort of person you need to target if you want a United Ireland.

Very possible, but the spite towards Britain and Unionists displayed by some doesn't engender confidence in me that a United Ireland will work either.

I say that as an anti Brexit 30 something middle class, middle of the road Unionist who dislikes the Orange Order and DUP and is exactly the sort of person you need to target if you want a United Ireland.

'Spite', is generally earned.

You need to be honest with yourself too. Had it not been for the luck of the DUP getting into a power broking position you unionists would be dealing with a sea border.
    May would have agreed back in December and it would now be enshrined in law.

'Spite', is generally earned.

You need to be honest with yourself too. Had it not been for the luck of the DUP getting into a power broking position you unionists would be dealing with a sea border.
    May would have agreed back in December and it would now be enshrined in law.

If May had a bigger majority it is more likely the UK wouldn't be leaving the Customs Union as she could have gone for a softer Brexit.

If May had a bigger majority it is more likely the UK wouldn't be leaving the Customs Union as she could have gone for a softer Brexit.

Let's deal with realities here and never mind the sidestepping.

You would be constitutionally separated from Britain had it not been for the luck of the DUP being in a power broking position.

I.E. Unionists would have been sold out. That is a fact. May had agreed to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Except it would never have passed in Parliament whatsoever but then you knew that.

Taytoland wrote: »
    Except it would never have passed in Parliament whatsoever but then you knew that.

The point is, she sold out unionism. They sold you out signing the GFA (according to you, yourselves) as well. And will sell you out again if the deal suits them.

Yet, the hat remains doffed and the knee bent. You need to start being honest with yourselves here.

• Advertisement

When Brexit goes ahead how important will the 26 Counties be to the Eu . Will Juncker be able to find it on a map when his Sciatica is playing up .

Seriously how interested are the Eu going to be in the 26 counties .

Maybe after awhile when we get the 6 counties back and a good heap of Unionists then the Eu may do the old thumbs in the ears and fingers over the eyes .

I see Mary Lou is on for joining the Commonwealth . Jeez the Eu might throw a strop over that . Some Empires can be ratty about that sort of stuff !

The point is, she sold out unionism. They sold you out signing the GFA (according to you, yourselves) as well. And will sell you out again if the deal suits them.

Yet, the hat remains doffed and the knee bent. You need to start being honest with yourselves here.
    She's trying to sell out the country as she hates the country. I have known this for longer than most people in the mainstream media.

When Brexit goes ahead how important will the 26 Counties be to the Eu . Will Juncker be able to find it on a map when his Sciatica is playing up .

Seriously how interested are the Eu going to be in the 26 counties .

Maybe after awhile when we get the 6 counties back and a good heap of Unionists then the Eu may do the old thumbs in the ears and fingers over the eyes .

I see Mary Lou is on for joining the Commonwealth . Jeez the Eu might throw a strop over that . Some Empires can be ratty about that sort of stuff !

We are the EU blinding. When will you get that into your head?

We expect no favours and have to make sure our voice is heard. And at the moment it is being heard and has brought fantastic pressure on the UK.

She's trying to sell out the country as she hates the country. I have known this for longer than most people in the mainstream media.

You will have us believe she is doing this 'sell out' single handedly. :)

What fools you are to be listening to and hitching wagons to the like of Rees Mogg while he feathers his very comfy nest by backing against Britain while leading the fleg wavers over an economic cliff.

You will have us believe she is doing this 'sell out' single handedly. :)

What fools you are to be listening to and hitching wagons to the like of Rees Mogg while he feathers his very comfy nest by backing against Britain while leading the fleg wavers over an economic cliff.
    Make no mistake I'm fully aware we have plenty of traitors in the United Kingdom.

We are the EU blinding. When will you get that into your head?

We expect no favours and have to make sure our voice is heard. And at the moment it is being heard and has brought fantastic pressure on the UK.
    Some Parts are more important than other parts . When it suited Angela she made a decision directly against the wishes of other parts of the Eu . The Germans and the French will do what suits Germany and France most . If you think that the 26 counties on the far side of Britain will be their primary concern then you are deluding yourself .Some Irish people have been wrong about the British Empire ( in believing that Ireland was an integral part of it ) and the Catholic Church ( in thinking that the good of the Irish people was primary in the Catholic church ) . We have been down these roads before and we have been very badly let down by outside institutions .

So, you're suggesting the 26 should capitulate to Unionists by rejoining the Commonwealth?
    Good luck with that!

Mary-Lou can float whatever ideas she likes - it's a free Country - but that doesn't mean that Ireland is suddenly going to bow the knee to Unionism, and go against our own interests in so doing.

As far as I'm concerned, Unionists are quite welcome, as equals.
    As overlords who dictate policy? No, thanks.

Yet, you are exactly the type of person who would be welcomed with open arms here.

There's a huge difference between being accepting of Unionism, and willing to live alongside Unionists as equals, and being accepting of the brand of Unionism that believes Unionists are superior to Nationalists, and that the Irish people should give up their right to self-determnation just because some Unionists think they have a god-given right to make our decisions for us, in return for the privilege of their Company.

Don't mistake the two attitudes, they are very different - and can be found in most people, of any Nationality, or Creed.

The same attitude had a significant effect on the Brexit vote in England, for example.

Let's deal with realities here and never mind the sidestepping.

You would be constitutionally separated from Britain had it not been for the luck of the DUP being in a power broking position.

I.E. Unionists would have been sold out. That is a fact. May had agreed to it.

I'm not sidestepping anything.

I'm not sure any hypothetical scenario can be described as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mary-Lou and SF can fuck off if they think we're going to be pressed into the British 'Commonwealth' as a sop to Unionists. We can accommodate Unionists somehow on such matters but we will not be going backwards. I'm now pro-Brexit because it will further distance us economically from our unpredictable former coloniser.

I'd also like to see Ireland, post-Unification, get fully behind EU/European defence and drop the pretence of non-alignment/neutrality. The north of the country would be strategically valuable for EU naval defence and they could, in the future, use a nice big naval base in Derry to police the north Atlantic. It would also have the effect of locking-down a United Ireland in the long term.

• Advertisement

Mary-Lou and SF can fuck off if they think we're going to be pressed into the British 'Commonwealth' as a sop to Unionists. We can accommodate Unionists somehow on such matters but we will not be going backwards. I'm now pro-Brexit because it will further distance us economically from our unpredictable former coloniser.  

I'd also like to see Ireland, post-Unification, get fully behind EU/European defence and drop the pretence of non-alignment/neutrality. The north of the country would be strategically valuable for EU naval defence and they could, in the future, use a nice big naval base in Derry to police the north Atlantic. It would also have the effect of locking-down a United Ireland in the long term.
    Don't worry most Unionists aren't that stupid to listen to middle class moron Mary Lou McDonald.

Advertisement