Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Grant now Available - SEAI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Heat Pumps can have split heating. The normal space heating goes to 50/55C. A second smaller unit takes hot tap water to a higher level. This has a lower COP than the main one.

It's difficult to integrate A2W and oil. The returning water is still quite high in temp and Heat Pump will have little or no input IWT.
    Another option may be that in very cold weather when the HP might be struggling and COP might be low, that your system switches to oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hopefully not too far off topic, but just wondering - is that a heat pump that works with your existing boiler or a self-contained boiler/heat pump combo? Some heat pumps already go past 60C (presumably with a lower COP) so I'm wondering if anything more than a heat pump is needed?

I haven't contacted yet but this is what I looked at: http://grantengineering.ie/high-efficiency-heating_products/grant-vortexair-hybrid-range/

I have a Grant boiler installed.

For the current price of oil the cost case is not positive enough from what I can see. If oil prices start to increase it might start to make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I haven't contacted yet but this is what I looked at: http://grantengineering.ie/high-efficiency-heating_products/grant-vortexair-hybrid-range/

I have a Grant boiler installed.

For the current price of oil the cost case is not positive enough from what I can see. If oil prices start to increase it might start to make sense

I'm guessing that the SEAI grant won't apply for a hybrid system. To my mind, if your house is suitable for a heat pump, a decent condensing boiler will be cheap to run and the cost of a retrofit heat pump wouldn't be justified on financial grounds. I'm hoping to retrofit a heat pump if I can get my BER heat loss indicator below 2 but I know in my heart of hearts that its not justifiable financially at current oil prices. I just want to stop burning oil.

It may take some time but I believe further carbon tax on heating fuel is inevitable. Back to the stick and the carrot.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to check the slope on a roof. So I have a small galvanized shed. It is 30ft long.

The width is 118 "
    The height at front is 77"
    The height at back is 80"

I tried some calculators online but it says 1.5 degree? that seems very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I'm guessing that the SEAI grant won't apply for a hybrid system. To my mind, if your house is suitable for a heat pump, a decent condensing boiler will be cheap to run and the cost of a retrofit heat pump wouldn't be justified on financial grounds. I'm hoping to retrofit a heat pump if I can get my BER heat loss indicator below 2 but I know in my heart of hearts that its not justifiable financially at current oil prices. I just want to stop burning oil.

Isn't there a grant high efficiency for boilers for houses ore 2007 or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Was just about to pull the trigger on the Owl Intuition PV bundle on amazon to get an idea of daily/weekly power consumption but it states
    Please note, NOT suitable for Solis inverters.

Is this still an issue? Are Solis inverters the main type that would be installed when/if I get PV installed?

py wrote: »
    Was just about to pull the trigger on the Owl Intuition PV bundle on amazon to get an idea of daily/weekly power consumption but it states

Is this still an issue? Are Solis inverters the main type that would be installed when/if I get PV installed?

Do they not include a monitoring package with most solar installations?

I bought a standard Owl monitor for a tenner on adverts....when I install PV I would expect it to include a premium package so I can monitor properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Do they not include a monitoring package with most solar installations?

I bought a standard Owl monitor for a tenner on adverts....when I install PV I would expect it to include a premium package so I can monitor properly

Think it comes with 2 years, 20 sterling for 2 years after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

ArrBee wrote: »
    Isn't there a grant high efficiency for boilers for houses ore 2007 or something like that?

There used to be (I got it in 2012) but there's no grant for boilers now, just heating controls as they don't want to incentivise the fitting of fossil fuel bring appliances - they'd rather push people towards renewable resource heating

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    Think it comes with 2 years, 20 sterling for 2 years after that.

The package you are buying on amazon comes with 2 years?

What I meant is as part of the installation costs you will get that included...

SO if you want to monitor before buying PV why not buy a cheap Owl. It does the same thing.

I can tell what I used each hour for the last few months and then the total per day...

Thats all you need. So you can see the spikes and work out why the spikes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just wondering if anyone knows how to check the slope on a roof. So I have a small galvanized shed. It is 30ft long.

The width is 118 "
    The height at front is 77"
    The height at back is 80"

I tried some calculators online but it says 1.5 degree? that seems very small.

Simplest way

Get out your phone and download any level app.

Place the phone sideways on the roof and read the value on screen

listermint wrote: »
    Simplest way

Get out your phone and download any level app.

Place the phone sideways on the roof and read the value on screen

This technology crap will never catch on :P

It's a massive 3 degrees :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Got a detailed breakdown of a proposed system from one installer today.

10X320W Q Cell Solar PV Modules/Panels
    …1x 3.6kw Hybrid Inverters
    …2x 2.5kwh Hybrid Batteries
    …1x eddi Power Diverter

I’m wondering about the inverter...

Based on a 3.2kw array and 5kwh battery, is a 3.6kw hybrid inverter best suited to this system? If not what would?

If I went with a 3.2kw array but only a 2.5kwh battery, what would be the best suited inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Got a detailed breakdown of a proposed system from one installer today.

10X320W Q Cell Solar PV Modules/Panels
    …1x 3.6kw Hybrid Inverters
    …2x 2.5kwh Hybrid Batteries
    …1x eddi Power Diverter

I’m wondering about the inverter...

Based on a 3.2kw array and 5kwh battery, is a 3.6kw hybrid inverter best suited to this system? If not what would?

If I went with a 3.2kw array but only a 2.5kwh battery, what would be the best suited inverter?

AFAIK, the inverter should be closer to 2.5 for best operation over the course of the year if no batteries are in use. Of course that will clip the panel output on those occasions when panel outputs in excess of the 2.5 level.

Having the batteries in place may well change that ratio. I'll leave others to comment on that.

For those with Solar PV panels do you move them? I was looking at the following.....

https://www.solarpoweristhefuture.com/how-to-figure-correct-angle-for-solar-panels.shtml

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    AFAIK, the inverter should be closer to 2.5 for best operation over the course of the year if no batteries are in use. Of course that will clip the panel output on those occasions when panel outputs in excess of the 2.5 level.

Having the batteries in place may well change that ratio. I'll leave others to comment on that.

Would you mind briefly explaining the theory behind that? I’m trying to grasp the principles around which inverter would be best to a particular system.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Would you mind briefly explaining the theory behind that? I’m trying to grasp the principles around which inverter would be best to a particular system.

TIA

Have a read of this and see if it makes sense:

https://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/optimizing-solar-panel-system-efficiency-through-inverter-sizing/

I say again, your situation may differ, if you do install the batteries.

TomOnBoard wrote: »

TIA

Have a read of this and see if it makes sense:

https://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/optimizing-solar-panel-system-efficiency-through-inverter-sizing/

I say again, your situation may differ, if you do install the batteries.

Thanks for link. The article explains it very well and simply. As you mentioned previously the addition of a battery may have an impact on choosing the correct inverter . I’m hoping some others has some knowledge of this and can educate me further.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

iamtony wrote: »
    Very interested in solar panels.
    Can anyone with experience in this field tell me what a suitable system would cost me.
    Just checked my electric bill and I've used 7500 Kwhs in the past 12 months. I have a combi boiler and no tank for hot water so batteries would be the way to go for me.
    How much could I offset the bill which is at 115 euro a month with the big switch discount from Bord gais.
    I'd like to half my bill would that be possible?

Im following this as this is very much what I have, I put new combi boiler last year, have 2 zones heating in the house and very low electricity bill but WANT PV panels and storage battery from which I can charge my soon to be electric car, did you get anywhere with your question and any more details? Anything appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zappi EV charger (about €600) can divert excess solar PV to your EV. Your car must be plugged in for that during the day though. I would install a substantial array for this, minimum 4kwp

If you plan on having huge batteries loaded up from PV during the day to charge your EV at night, you will commit financial suicide :p

unkel wrote: »
    We all do!

Hit me please

HI all, have few questions, read some bits of this thread but still unsure as to what to do, so here it goes:

1. I'm very green person and WANT PV panels
    2. I have combi boiler- 1 year old so wont need to heat water by PV panels, the cylinder for water is gone as well
    3. Looking to get extra electricity into battery from which I can charge my new electric car (which I don't have yet haha)

I have pitch roof, south-facing is back of the house so perfect for the panels,

can anybody advise what to get, what capacity, how many panels, or even which company? Also any idea on cost? I know there is new SEAI grant plus heard Airtricity is giving another 250 EUR for customers who put PV panels in? I am actually their customer as well so could probably get that as well ..

I am getting free research by Activ8 as met guy from the company on my way out of Woodies (my favourite shop :)

Please excuse stupid questions- blonde single mama of 3 doggos in here so need bit of help!

unkel wrote: »
    Zappi EV charger (about €600) can divert excess solar PV to your EV. Your car must be plugged in for that during the day though. I would install a substantial array for this, minimum 4kwp

If you plan on having huge batteries loaded up from PV during the day to charge your EV at night, you will commit financial suicide :p

Financial suicide??? Lol my car is at work with me during day! No way I can leave car hone- that's what I have it fir- to get me to work , aaaah

Then buy cheap wind power from the grid, at night.

Water John wrote: »
    Then buy cheap wind power from the grid, at night.

Hey and thanks, but tell me more please :)

You get a night rate meter. This is free. You then on pay about 7c/kWh for 9 hours at night. All EVs can be programmed to only charge during this time. I charge up my EV from zero to 100% for about €2 this way for a range of 200-250km

At night up to 75% of Irish electricity production is from wind

I am getting free research by Activ8 as met guy from the company on my way out of Woodies (my favourite shop :)

/QUOTE]

Get lots of quotes!! There is a separate thread on quotes posters are receiving.

Don’t feel pressurised into ordering during a home visit by an installer.

+1

Don't get bullied by those clowns. They will rip you off.

• Advertisement

HI all, have few questions, read some bits of this thread but still unsure as to what to do, so here it goes:

1. I'm very green person and WANT PV panels
    2. I have combi boiler- 1 year old so wont need to heat water by PV panels, the cylinder for water is gone as well
    3. Looking to get extra electricity into battery from which I can charge my new electric car (which I don't have yet haha)

I have pitch roof, south-facing is back of the house so perfect for the panels,

can anybody advise what to get, what capacity, how many panels, or even which company? Also any idea on cost? I know there is new SEAI grant plus heard Airtricity is giving another 250 EUR for customers who put PV panels in? I am actually their customer as well so could probably get that as well ..

Please excuse stupid questions- blonde single mama of 3 doggos in here so need bit of help!

My recommendation is to stay away from the person you met in Woodies....

Do a bit of googling and you will find out why.....

Advertisement