Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 227 - Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 2 - Saturday August 4th 11.15PM - BT Sports

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Paully D wrote: »
    Watched the fight back twice and that’s an even worse decision than I felt at the time.

It was clearly DJ’s fight.
    Disagree. I thought there was a good argument for it being 2-2 going into the final round and that last five minutes were razor tight. Hard to pick a winner but I don't think you could argue too much either way. Very close fight. Definitely not a robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Interestingly, Rogan asked both fighters if they felt it was even going into the 5th, and both agreed that it was.

I found it tough enough to score the fight, although I've only watched it once. I wouldn't have been surprised to see the fight given to DJ, but I don't believe it was the absolute robbery some people are claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just watched the card now.

Flyweight title fight was close. Was surprised Henry got the nod but have to give it a rewatch to decide if it was a deserved decision. When Sal is the deciding judge you have to expect anything though.

TJ is a beast. Really is top notch.
    His movement is outstanding and he just outstruck and ko'd the guy with the fastest hands in the division twice. Cruz needs to get healthy for that rematch. The two of them are so similar, need to see that fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

IMO Dillashaw is the p4p best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good result for the flyweight division I think considering Dana has threatened to scrap it. Freshens things up a bit.

I wonder will Dana book Cejudo vs Dillashaw now? Cejudo as a champ champ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cejudo via KO/TKO
    Pighead wrote: »
    Disagree. I thought there was a good argument for it being 2-2 going into the final round and that last five minutes were razor tight. Hard to pick a winner but I don't think you could argue too much either way. Very close fight. Definitely not a robbery.

It’s all about opinions of course, but I struggle to see how anyone can watch that and not give Johnson 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Cejudo via KO/TKO
    don't think it was total robbery although I had dj winning three

the second round was close and maybe the td by henry won it for him but barely so and I'm not sure he did enough to win that round td or not, same with 4 but where dj won the other two convincingly I though those two rounds could have gone either way and henry should feel a little fortunate that the judges seen it that way

I laughed when he said he wanted both belts, pure money fight needless to say but I would be very surprised if he wanted to face dj again myself (will lose the rematch)
    I think they'll make him fight dj again

I'll watch it again later myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Cejudo via KO/TKO
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Cody got greedy looking for another big shot and he paid the price. I’m telling ya, it’s the number one sign of an overly emotional fighter, and it cost him again. He does his best work as a skilful counter striker, picking his shots and getting out of the way.

He’s mentally fragile and if other opponents get into his head, he’ll struggle to get that title back.

nail on head there marty
    cody could clean out the division but I doubt he'll ever beat tj

cody fought a very different kind of fight to the one against cruz v the fights against tj

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Paully D wrote: »
    It’s all about opinions of course, but I struggle to see how anyone can watch that and not give Johnson 3 rounds.
    Did you have it even going into the 5th or do you think he won three of the first four rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Garbrandt via Submission
    A long way back to a title shot for Cody now. Will need to win another two on the bounce and hope Dom Cruz beats TJ in their rematch.

I thought he actually started the fight well but once again made the same mistakes. Dillashaw though is a fantastic finisher and seems to be getting better and better with each fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Cejudo via KO/TKO
    Pighead wrote: »
    Did you have it even going into the 5th or do you think he won three of the first four rounds?

I had him up three after 3. Cejudo's td in the second was late enough, he done very little damage from.what i remember when he had him down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Inviere

martyos121 wrote: »
    Cody got greedy looking for another big shot and he paid the price. I’m telling ya, it’s the number one sign of an overly emotional fighter, and it cost him again.

100%. He's a far better fighter than he shows when fighting TJ, I'd say he must be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dillashaw via Submission
    Can someone please tell me I’m not crazy in saying the TJ/Cody stoppage WASN’T a late one?

Guy on twitter giving it socks saying how it was a disgustingly late stoppage and it’s really annoying me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cejudo via KO/TKO
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me I’m not crazy in saying the TJ/Cody stoppage WASN’T a late one?

Guy on twitter giving it socks saying how it was a disgustingly late stoppage and it’s really annoying me

If he'd of stopped it 10 seconds earlier I wouldn't have called it an early stoppage, but it was far from a yomazaki type stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cejudo via KO/TKO
    Jesus, poor Brett Johns can feel unfortunate not to have gotten the $50,000 FOTN bonus.

I only noticed now that DJ and Cejudo got it which is hard to complain about, but it would have been nice to see Johns and Munhoz get it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Mighty Mouse via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    What's unfair about it?

I'd argue that beating a guy by a small margin but being denied the win due to a reign is considerably more unfair.

The subjectivity of MMA judging is why it felt unfair on DJ. In football if Spain beat France 3-2 and all the stats are relatively even many people might claim the result as unfair. But the scoreline is far more clearly defined, one team got 3 goals over the line, and the other got 2.

Bringing subjective opinions like judging into the deciding factor to a 1 v 1 contest has much more ambiguity. One judge may favour Wrestling take downs, another judge may favour Mauy Thai kicks.

I'm no fan of DJ but losing your title because of a 1 round swing split decision feels unfair. They are the rules, but have to feel for the guy considering he's been on the greatest champ run in the history of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'm no fan of DJ but losing your title because of a 1 round swing split decision feels unfair. They are the rules, but have to feel for the guy considering he's been on the greatest champ run in the history of the sport.

By the same logic though, would that not make it equally unfair on Cejudo to lose out on winning the title as a result of that same one round swing split decision?

By the same logic though, would that not make it equally unfair on Cejudo to lose out on winning the title as a result of that same one round swing split decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dillashaw via Submission
    The subjectivity of MMA judging is why it felt unfair on DJ. In football if Spain beat France 3-2 and all the stats are relatively even many people might claim the result as unfair.
    Would be a fairly baseless claim though. Stats, control, possession, shots on target, don't count towards a win or loss in football. In MMA thats is basically all that counts.
    Bringing subjective opinions like judging into the deciding factor to a 1 v 1 contest has much more ambiguity. One judge may favour Wrestling take downs, another judge may favour Mauy Thai kicks.

That's a completely different point though.
    Subjectivity means that two people may score the same round differently, due to their criteria, happens all the time, is generally unavoidable. It's unfair to lose due to the judges getting it wrong - in the eyes of the general consensus. For example, it was unfair for Khabib to get the nod over Trujillo.

But if the general consensus is that a fight lost 3 rounds, even if the swing rounbd is incredibly tight, then he lost fairly. That goes equally for either fighter. The champions status as the current champ is irrelevant. DJ's record breaking run as champ shouldn't be a factor in either the decision, or the fairness imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Some interesting weights in there, TJ had 7.5 lbs over Cody, Cody also weighed the same as DJ. Only one fighter who was withing the csac recommended limits won, and it was against another fighter also within the limits.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/6/17655020/ufc-227-fight-night-weights-all-but-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

• Advertisement

Mighty Mouse via Decsion
    ASOT wrote: »
    Some interesting weights in there, TJ had 7.5 lbs over Cody, Cody also weighed the same as DJ. Only one fighter who was withing the csac recommended limits won, and it was against another fighter also within the limits.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/6/17655020/ufc-227-fight-night-weights-all-but-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

Wow crazy. Never would have put DJ so heavy!!! And TJ at 150 is a whole boxing weight class above Cody. It's really all over the place, but so interesting to have the stats. Would be great to get same across the heavier weight classes too. And Moicano at 166 is completely mad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Wow crazy. Never would have put DJ so heavy!!! And TJ at 150 is a whole boxing weight class above Cody. It's really all over the place, but so interesting to have the stats. Would be great to get same across the heavier weight classes too. And Moicano at 166 is completely mad.

Most of the other bantamweights on that card were essentially fighting at LW. It's pretty crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mighty Mouse via Submission
    Cody could easily make 125, that's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Garbrandt via Submission
    Cody could easily make 125, that's crazy.

Could be an option for him now? He'll either need a tear through top 10 guys/ TJ to lose, or both to be back with a shot. Not impossible of course, though wondering are questions about his chin legitimate? TJ said kick in first fight that dropped him had nothing on it - then again he would say that.

Dana talked TJ up post fight, but suspect there was an undercurrent of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Could be an option for him now? He'll either need a tear through top 10 guys/ TJ to lose, or both to be back with a shot. Not impossible of course, though wondering are questions about his chin legitimate? TJ said kick in first fight that dropped him had nothing on it - then again he would say that.

Dana talked TJ up post fight, but suspect there was an undercurrent of disappointment.

He could have won the first fight if there was 10 more seconds to the round, and in this fight he still wobbled TJ and bust his eye.

So he is still right up there it's hard to see that the two won't fight again pretty soon.

Would love to see TJ take out Cruz.

Cody at 125 with his dodgy chin would not be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

JJayoo wrote: »
    He could have won the first fight if there was 10 more seconds to the round, and in this fight he still wobbled TJ and bust his eye.

So he is still right up there it's hard to see that the two won't fight again pretty soon.

Doesn't matter though. It's 2-0 with two decisive ko's.
    It's hard to sell a third fight and for Cody to talk any **** before it.

It would be at least two years and Cody would have to go on a tear and beat four or five guys to get a third shot at TJ I'd say.

Advertisement