Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man-made" Climate Change Lunathicks Out in Full Force

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I get her point about science not being a democracy, however it is largely up to a group of peers to tear the **** out of new bodies of work, so in a lot of cases if the majority think something is bull**** for good reason, then it's likely truth.

In any case, I don't think people ever thought the earth was flat with in the science community in Europe through out history. It's possible that religious nuts did, but I've heard that the common belief has always been that the earth is round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

So the 97 percent figure is bull because something completely irrelevant you think is bull also.

So we've got

You like to do your own research
    Climate change is fashionable
    Something about gender pay gap
    Cartoonists opinions on climate change
    a guy who works for a industrial for profit think tank
    Galilieo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Scientists only know what they know at the time.
    And when they know what they know at the time, they think that what they know is actual fact.
    When in fact they don’t have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

XsApollo wrote: »
    Scientists only know what they know at the time.
    And when they know what they know at the time, they think that what they know is actual fact.
    When in fact they don’t have a clue.

And you have a clue? Why don't you share that with the scientific community?

Reminds me of the Brexit "We're sick of experts" talk....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Widespread drought to own the libs

• Advertisement

And you have a clue? Why don't you share that with the scientific community?

Reminds me of the Brexit "We're sick of experts" talk....

Did I say I have a clue?
    What’s brexit got to do with it lol.
    I believe nobody really has a clue what’s going on and we havnt even scratched the surface of what we are and what the universe is.

My own opinion is earths climate cycles over a long period of time.
    Gradually warming and then gradually cooling.

Did I say I have a clue?
    What’s brexit got to do with it lol.
    I believe nobody really has a clue what’s going on and we havnt even scratched the surface of what we are and what the universe is.

You said that scientists haven't a clue. Therefor you must know something they don't, otherwise how do you know they haven't a clue.
    The Brexit analogy illustrates that when a whole load of idiots ignore the sound advice from knowledgeable people, they end up in the sh*t.

The climate does gradually warm and cool, but that's completely different from the rapid changes over the last 150 years we're seeing. You must be blind to reality if you can't see that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why on earth would you think that? What possible evidence is there and who discovered it? And why did those people suddenly stop having a clue?

Why on earth would you think that? What possible evidence is there and who discovered it? And why did those people suddenly stop having a clue?

Climate oscillations occur, but they're usually some historical basis. The climate change we see now is rapid global changes that coincide with human industrialisation.

Total bullsh*t and equating the 17th century church to modern scientists is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

It's one of the most stupid things I've ever read. And totally flip flopped of course, which I suspect is the political point. Notice now also how climate change is being associated with the liberal left, it's a handy way of turning people away from it without having to go anywhere near the science..

• Advertisement

Climate oscillations occur, but they're usually some historical basis. The climate change we see now is rapid global changes that coincide with human industrialisation.

I know, you might need to re read the post in context ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

It's one of the most stupid things I've ever read. And totally flip flopped of course, which I suspect is the political point. Notice now also how climate change is being associated with the liberal left, it's a handy way of turning people away from it without having to go anywhere near the science..

Liberal left denies science when it comes to biology for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Liberal left denies science when it comes to biology for some reason.

The threads not about liberal left

Your issue is with scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Some of these comments are worrying me. I really wish people would educate themselves about climate change before going in like a bull in a China shop thinking they knew everything when in fact they know Jack-$hit.

Climate change itself is a natural phenomenon. Over the course of the Earth's history there has been countless (well not quite countless but a lot of global climate shifts). What we are influencing however is what is referred to as 'enhanced greenhouse effect'. It was just over 20 years ago that CFCs were banned. CFCs harming and destroying the ozone, since the 1930s I think. But no, that has no effect on the climate whatsoever... destroying the ozone, resulting in increased exposure to dangerous UV rays, HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE PLANET?!

Then there's the emissions from cars, planes, boats, factories, and probably a million other things (slight exageration maybe), that has been polluting the planet for a long fekcing time!

[give me strength...]

That is evidence it’s fact, because it does.
    Now theory’s are different, and scientists bandy then about as fact, becuase that’s what they know at the time, in a few hundred years the next expert will have debunked that theory and have their own until the next expert arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

jaxxx wrote: »
    Some of these comments are worrying me. I really wish people would educate themselves about climate change before going in like a bull in a China shop thinking they knew everything when in fact they know Jack-$hit.

Climate change itself is a natural phenomenon. Over the course of the Earth's history there has been countless (well not quite countless but a lot of global climate shifts). What we are influencing however is what is referred to as 'enhanced greenhouse effect'. It was just over 20 years ago that CFCs were banned. CFCs harming and destroying the ozone, since the 1930s I think. But no, that has no effect on the climate whatsoever... destroying the ozone, resulting in increased exposure to dangerous UV rays, HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE PLANET?!

Then there's the emissions from cars, planes, boats, factories, and probably a million other things (slight exageration maybe), that has been polluting the planet for a long fekcing time!

[give me strength...]

They now say the ozone layer is being healed because of the less use of aerosol cans, dispite the cars, boats, planes and probably the other million things still affecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

f*ck the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Check out this book:

The End Is Near: 50th Anniversary Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Corps

mickrock wrote: »
    Check out this book:

The End Is Near: 50th Anniversary Edition.

It probably will be in 50 years time.

What many do not understand is that climate change is progressively slow for us humans in which the effects would not be so immediate. But for earth, the current change is bloody fast. The rate of temperature rise is unprecedented in the planet's history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone who thinks we can keep pumping the crap we do in to our atmosphere without consequences is deluded.

You can question global warming but the fact is we live in an enclosed system. That toxic crap you see coming out of all those Chinese factories for example goes in to our atmosphere and stays there. There is only so much space in our atmosphere before the impacts become very real.

This exhibits itself in a greenhouse effect. Heat comes in but can't get out.

This year we have seen the world's highest ever minimum temperature at night in Oman. 41.6c.

If people want an example of what happens to a planet with a runaway Greenhouse effect where heat can't escape - look at the planet Venus.

There is the natural change as well but it does us no good polluting the air we have to breath.

For people arguing we don't have a problem - you don't make a sh!it of your own house - why would you make a sh!t of your own atmosphere and eco system?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How it was arrived at.

It was arrived art in exactly the same way as grey anecdotal Europe is broken, Greece is dying and shrubs is great nonsense was.

You can't pick and choose your anecdotes if you are a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You can question global warming but the fact is we live in an enclosed system. That toxic crap you see coming out of all those Chinese factories for example goes in to our atmosphere and stays there. There is only so much space in our atmosphere before the impacts become very real.

To be fair to the Chinese, we re pumping enough ****e into our eco system to, we re all at it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Creative83 wrote:
    I could provide with a temperature guideline over the past 2,000 years I think... but it wouldn't fit your narrative so I wont do it

You are one of the Healey Ray's from Kerry? Only god controls climote and everyone that votes for me can drinks drive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

For people arguing we don't have a problem - you don't make a sh!it of your own house - why would you make a sh!t of your own atmosphere and eco system?

To own the libs of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sorry folks a bit late to the thread. Very disappointed there hasn’t been a YouTube video from some conspiracy nut about climate change. Agenda 21, NWO, chemtrails, jet fuel and steel etc. That would have drawn me in.

It's a special kind of evil where the person who starts the thread deletes his/her opening post

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

With our recent heatwave... the "top scientists", best in the world apparently... are now predicting doom on a biblical level.

No, they have issued a quite cautious and thoughtful statement that simply asserts that the current heatwave was more than twice as likely to have been caused by global warming. This editorial https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/09/the-guardian-view-on-climate-change-a-global-heatwave from the Guardian is very measured in its opinion.

Even if you have doubts about climate change, there is no disputing what those who lived in industrialised England in the 1950s can remember; the smog which was a direct result of burning fossil fuels. The Clean Air Act was an early acceptance of the fact that humans can mess up their world, and it needs to be controlled.
    It is all bull**** and speculation of course. Nobody has the balls in that community to come forward and actually say that there is no problem.

Possibly because there is, or most likely is, a problem.
    Funny thing is that these guys would protest a Nuclear power plant in a heartbeat, apparently not smart enough to relise that nuclear energy is the way forward!!!

'these guys'? Have you any evidence or figures showing that the same people who protest nuclear power are also climate scientists? There will be a significant overlap I would think, but why would you want to promote investment in the cost and risk of nuclear when there is still a good bit of fossil fuel to burn? Especially while, whether caused by climate change or not, the events of recent years - the Japanese tsunami for example - rising sea levels, violent weather events - put nuclear power stations at risk of damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

TBF you just read like a contrarian for the sake of it.

Hey man, I'm no sheep. Who are scientists to tell me me stuff. I'll believe what I want to believe.

Tinfoil hattery?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Even if you have doubts about climate change, there is no disputing what those who lived in industrialised England in the 1950s can remember; the smog which was a direct result of burning fossil fuels. The Clean Air Act was an early acceptance of the fact that humans can mess up their world, and it needs to be controlled.

I totally agree with you

I remember the smog in Dublin in the 70s & 80s. I genuinely believed it to be lots of foggy days every year till they banned smoky fuel. I live right on the coast & can see the sea from my house between the rooftops of the houses behind us. We mightn't see fog more than once a year now

Advertisement