Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

14,000? Not a single reputable source has put it over 2,000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

2 Scoops wrote: »
    In a country where the majority is made up of whites, his comment is nothing short of inflammatory and idiotic. Statistically speaking it's somewhat normal. If Lemon had phrased his point better then nobody would have batted an eyelid. Read the way he said it, again and again if you're missing it.

You know full well if a news host went on TV tonight and repeated verbatim what Lemon said about blacks and violent crime that person wouldn't be on the air again, even though statistically speaking it's a huge anomaly.

Lemon is a clown, not because of his skin colour. Listen to the guy once in a while, he's not intellectually clever but tries to convey a sense of superiority that his intellect doesn't match - his only worth is to preside over shouting matches each night for people screaming at how evil Trump is.

No Trump supporter could possibly seriously complain about Lemon.
    “They are not our friend, believe me,” he said, before disparaging Mexican immigrants: “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
    Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad.

I'll spare us all the many, many vile and disgusting things he said about women.

No one who seriously supports Trump (and no with an IQ of over 50 could possibly do that) gets to complain about what Lemon said, because you do not have the fcuking right to do so.
    Only a completely disingenuous piece of sh*t would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Christy42 wrote: »
    So how many pages not discussing Trump are we on here?

Simple. Somebody whatabouted a video of a black tv person saying something and people took the bait.

Trump supporters don't want people discussing Trump for obvious reasons. Their guy's a shítshow and they know it. They want you talking about Hillary's emails or Uranium One or Peter Strzok or some perceived sleight against white nationalists.

Distraction is all they have. Don't fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It's almost pointless attempting to debate with a Trump supporter these days as by now you'd either have to be deficient in the IQ area or share some or all of Trumps traits, knowingly or unknowingly; to not see what he is.

In other Trump related news, Trump tries to tell the truth when he can.

"US President Donald Trump says he always tries to tell the truth when he can, despite how the media portrays him.

"I do try," he told ABC News in an interview aired on Thursday. "I always want to tell the truth. When I can, I tell the truth."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46061646

See everyone it's ok Trump is trying real hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Celticfire wrote: »
    So what should he do?

Withdraw from the Geneva Convention, deny asylum claims at the border. Match the rhetoric with action. What’s the point in sending troops to the border if they are not allowed to defend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

How about a swap at the border, 2000 gun toting militia nuts for 2000 peaceful migrants? Win win.

everlast75 wrote: »
    This is a bit wrong no? Donald was the US citizen who married Ivana and Malania and as a result, they would be eligible for citizenship. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Wohl went through with the press conference. Not even the supporters here are willing to touch that topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Wohl went through with the press conference. Not even the supporters here are willing to touch that topic.

I had no idea who he was until I seen Mueller trending on youtube. Sorry to disappoint you but not everyone who isn't a staunch Democrat supporter aligns with people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is a bit wrong no? Donald was the US citizen who married Ivana and Malania and as a result, they would be eligible for citizenship. Am I missing something?

No you're not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-children-immigrant/

"Trump's children weren't born to mothers with questionable immigration statuses and thus wouldn't have been affected by his proposed plan."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"They're throwing rocks, viciously and violently ... we're not going to put up with that. They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back. ... I told them consider it a rifle. When they throw rocks like they did at the Mexican military and police, I say consider it a rifle."

That's Trump by the way, declaring that the US military should shoot anyone who throws a rock. I mean sure, maybe they mean plastic bullets but anyone who remembers Northern Irish history should know how lethal those can be.

I'm all for defending ones borders, despite what some might think being left leaning doesn't mean open borders, but this is a vicious precedent being opened - if enacted. I hope military leaders are smart enough to realise what a PR / humanitarian disaster this approach could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

pixelburp wrote: »
    "They're throwing rocks, viciously and violently ... we're not going to put up with that. They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back. ... I told them consider it a rifle. When they throw rocks like they did at the Mexican military and police, I say consider it a rifle."

Consider it a rifle? Pretend they're throwing rifles instead of rocks?

Since these poor people won't reach the Mexican US border for at least a month - and they may not even get there if the Mexican government allow them stay in Mexico as seems to have been promised - it will be long after the election and there may well be far more pressing matters occupying Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's Trump by the way, declaring that the US military should shoot anyone who throws a rock. I mean sure, maybe they mean plastic bullets but anyone who remembers Northern Irish history should know how lethal those can be.

I'm all for defending ones borders, despite what some might think being left leaning doesn't mean open borders, but this is a vicious precedent being opened - if enacted. I hope military leaders are smart enough to realise what a PR / humanitarian disaster this approach could be.

It's just Trump being Trump. The generals and the officers in charge at the border will make that decision. His rhetoric is becoming evermore inflammatory as his Ego is punctured and the GOP lose ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I hope military leaders are smart enough to realise what a PR / humanitarian disaster this approach could be.

You've got to hope that the military leaders are bold enough to tell their commander in chief to get stuffed if an order like that comes down the line to them. Yes they are all trained to do and not question what the person above them says, but there is a point at which "I was just following orders" is no longer a sufficient defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

For full understanding of what Trump's up when it comes to tapping into the inner fascist of US citizens follow the policies of Duterte in the Philipines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's just Trump being Trump. The generals and the officers in charge at the border will make that decision. His rhetoric is becoming evermore inflammatory as his Ego is punctured and the GOP lose ground.

Thinking on it further, my worry is not so much the military forces - whose commanders I'd be fairly confident can impose some rigour and disciple - but the part-time militias and amateur border patrols who are potentially so wound up over the invading brown people, they'll now see Trumps words as validation for harsher action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Thinking on it further, my worry is not so much the military forces - whose commanders I'd be fairly confident can impose some rigour and disciple - but the part-time militias and amateur border patrols who are potentially so wound up over the invading brown people, they'll now see Trumps words as validation for harsher action.

Exactly. These people are pumped up on righteous indignation and Call Of Duty bravado. They're both Trump's useful idiots and his attack dogs, itching to shoot some of them 'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

2 Scoops wrote: »
    No you're not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-children-immigrant/

"Trump's children weren't born to mothers with questionable immigration statuses and thus wouldn't have been affected by his proposed plan."

How do you reckon snopes was able to provide the above info on the immigration status of the immigrant woman Don Trump married and had a child by except through background checks? Where do you find out if the immigrant has a questionable background status except through interview and background check? Has Don bothered to put the caravan people through such a process, even the small percentage in it that he thinks may be women?

And that's getting away from the fact that Don's wife/wives and children would never have been liable to exclusion by Don's proposed plan so I reckon you can drop that date/timeline smokescreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trump has support because for all his craziness he remains a transformational President.

He marks the turning point away from globalization and to a degree Reaganism.

The crackdown on illegal migration, the upcoming crackdown on abuse in Asylum.

The scrapping of the Pacific trade deal, the hammering of the European one, the ending of those was the biggest setback to extreme free market capitalism in decades.

All of these are a significant challenge to the free market, globalization .

Doesn't make him anything but a fan of market forces but more like a pre Reagan Republican or Democrat even.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No one who seriously supports Trump (and no with an IQ of over 50 could possibly do that) gets to complain about what Lemon said, because you do not have the fcuking right to do so.
    Only a completely disingenuous piece of sh*t would do that.

Calm down with the Archbishop McQuaid routine.

People can complain if they want, they have the right to and neither I nor you have to like it or respect.

That sort of righteous B.S. killed the church in Ireland.

It will do the same for people like you.

From Newsweek -

“Estimated 200 unregulated armed militia members currently operating along the southwest border. Reported incidents of unregulated militias stealing National Guard equipment during deployments. They operate under the guise of citizen patrols supporting CBP [Customs and Border Protection] primarily between POEs [Points of Entry],” according to the documents."

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump has support because for all his craziness he remains a transformational President.

The scrapping of the Pacific trade deal, the hammering of the European one, the ending of those was the biggest setback to extreme free market capitalism in decades.

Doesn't make him anything but a fan of market forces but more like a pre Reagan Republican or Democrat even.
    The scrapping of the TPP strengthens China. The 'hammering' (which tbh, I can't really see) of Europe, strengthens Russia. Are these really preferrable to 'globalization'?

Danzy wrote: »

When you hitch your wagon to a failed businessman, who has bankrupted a number of companies, failed at a large number of enterprises, a man who is a financial fraudster, a tax evader, a racist, a bigot, a blatant and prolific liar, an adulterer, an un-indicted co-conspirator on felony charges, whose family business is under RICO investigation, and does not give two f***s about the average joe and is only out to line his own pockets, you really do have to be creative when you look for any strains of what could be conceived amongst some to be positive points.

The reality here is that Trump is an old fashioned racist. That's a fact.

And most of the people who support him miss the days when they could say what they wanted and to hell with others if they got offended. He has given them license now to be open about their bigotry, express their unfounded fears about "them there foreigners". They will excuse away his abhorrent behaviour, dream up conspiracy theories, whatever it takes to "defend their guy".

Maybe some don't even think that they are being racist, or they try excuse it away by saying that white men are being discriminated against, and therefore its okay for them to give the minorities the same back.

Any president of any country who says that the press are the enemy of the people should set off alarm bells. Any president who says "do not believe your eyes, believe what I tell you", or whose spokesperson says "the truth is not the truth" should be seen for what he is.

The fact that this race is so close is a damning indictment of the lack of moral fibre and critical thinking of the american public. It should be a slam f**king dunk.

When you hitch your wagon to a failed businessman, who has bankrupted a number of companies, failed at a large number of enterprises, a man who is a financial fraudster, a tax evader, a racist, a bigot, a blatant and prolific liar, an adulterer, an un-indicted co-conspirator on felony charges, whose family business is under RICO investigation, and does not give two f***s about the average joe and is only out to line his own pockets, you really do have to be creative when you look for any strains of what could be conceived amongst some to be positive points.

The reality here is that Trump is an old fashioned racist. That's a fact.

And most of the people who support him miss the days when they could say what they wanted and to hell with others if they got offended. He has given them license now to be open about their bigotry, express their unfounded fears about "them there foreigners". They will excuse away his abhorrent behaviour, dream up conspiracy theories, whatever it takes to "defend their guy".

Maybe some don't even think that they are being racist, or they try excuse it away by saying that white men are being discriminated against, and therefore its okay for them to give the minorities the same back.

Any president of any country who says that the press are the enemy of the people should set off alarm bells. Any president who says "do not believe your eyes, believe what I tell you", or whose spokesperson says "the truth is not the truth" should be seen for what he is.

The fact that this race is so close is a damning indictment of the lack of moral fibre and critical thinking of the american public. It should be a slam f**king dunk.

Well said. there are many ways to effect change in a system that doesn't have to include hate speech and rigid views. Trump, Farage, Casey unfortunately over here , use fear and latent prejudice to rail road policies that suit the few at the top.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Well said. there are many ways to effect change in a system that doesn't have to include hate speech and rigid views. Trump, Farage, Casey unfortunately over here , use fear and latent prejudice to rail road policies that suit the few at the top.

I mean, why don't his supporters have a significant problem with the fact that every time he opens his damn mouth, he lies?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1058327944995786752?s=19

Do they not find it morally repugnant?
    Do they not see it as a significant personality flaw?
    Do they not see that if they cannot win their argument with facts then maybe, just maybe, their position and their views are completely wrong.

It's not "funny".
    It's not "quaint".
    It's not "straight talking". It's the complete opposite. Its bullshít. Plain and simple.

I for one cannot abide someone who is so completely devoid of honesty and is a simple member of the public, nevermind the President of the United f'n States.

I mean, why don't his supporters have a significant problem with the fact that every time he opens his damn mouth, he lies?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1058327944995786752?s=19

Do they not find it morally repugnant?
    Do they not see it as a significant personality flaw?
    Do they not see that if they cannot win their argument with facts then maybe, just maybe, their position and their views are completely wrong.

It's not "funny".
    It's not "quaint".
    It's not "straight talking". It's the complete opposite. Its bullshít. Plain and simple.

I for one cannot abide someone who is so completely devoid of honesty and is a simple member of the public, nevermind the President of the United f'n States.

The irony being that they claim 'he tells it as it is'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

And he continues to ramp up the lies & exaggerations:

I guess if he's telling a group what they want to hear, it'll fit with their confirmation bias & they'll buy into it no matter what

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

He is only motivating his base with these nonsense boogeymen on the border. No undecideds will be convinced by this guff. His base is not enough, as long as the voter turnout is high, which is looks certain to be.

I can see some really surprising wins for the Democrats. Beto O'Rourke will win over Ted Cruz in Texas. The gap is narrowing more and more every day.

What happens in the coming months will be very interesting.

Democrats should put Beto O'Rourke forward for the 2020 Presidency. He is the antidote to Trump. A great orator, young and charming. He reminds me a lot of Bobby Kennedy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement