Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It is insane, but I will be glued to the screen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Another possibility is, he gets confirmed but the Dems impeach him whenever they get control of the Senate. That might be the best outcome for them but not for the accusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Lawrence O'Donnel reporting last night that Collins' support for Kavanaugh has softended: in a meeting with colleagues yesterday she pushed for an FBI investigation into the claims and voiced alarm at the way things proceeding. Listening to the guys in fivethirtyeight, before Avenattis documents release they were 3:1 of the opinion that Kavanaugh was toast. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

What time is the hearing, and will it be televised? Sorry if already asked and answered.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    What time is the hearing, and will it be televised? Sorry if already asked and answered.
    3pm our time. It will be live on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EF0nuFjCw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

everlast75 wrote: »
    The fact that this hearing is going ahead today is I.N.S.A.N.E. How any woman can vote for the Reps come November is mind blowing (accept of course the Christian base, who are so intent on revoking abortion rights, anything else goes).

I hope it goes to the vote tomorrow and 1 of the 3 possibles vote him down.

What has been quite noteworthy was how loud and clichéd the Republication defence of Kavaunagh has been. They've hit nearly every victim-blaming soundbite imaginable ("Why didn't she report it before?", "Good women wouldn't go to those kind of parties" etc...), coupled with pretty blunt appeals towards piety, and I do wonder how much of this might resonate with women voters in the US.

I'm not so naive to think there won't be those who agree with that line of thinking - the female vote for Trump was something like 46% wasn't it? - but equally you'd have to wonder if others have looked at the narrative and found a distasteful familiarity with the claims made. The GOP has circled the wagons, fronted by octogenarians emphasising a cultural dissonance, and it may - may - only serve to galvanise voters to punish these outdated defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump gave the percentage of white women voting for him as the percentage of women voting for him.

Most likely he saw a number somewhere. Misread it, never bothered to check and keeps shouting it as it makes him feel good in spite of it showing him up as an idiot.

As for downturns. Certainly they happen and will happen in the future. However frequency, length and severity are all controllable factors. Though to control but possible. There are reasons Germany handled 2008 better than Ireland for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There will be a downturn anyway, it is inevitable, so Trump causing one is just timing.
    He can have a serious impact on when it happens, how bad it is and how quick/strong a recovery is. Let's not suggest that this is all inevitable... so ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

pixelburp wrote: »
    What has been quite noteworthy was how loud and clichéd the Republication defence of Kavaunagh has been. They've hit nearly every victim-blaming soundbite imaginable ("Why didn't she report it before?", "Good women wouldn't go to those kind of parties" etc...), coupled with pretty blunt appeals towards piety, and I do wonder how much of this might resonate with women voters in the US.

I'm not so naive to think there won't be those who agree with that line of thinking - the female vote for Trump was something like 46% wasn't it? - but equally you'd have to wonder if others have looked at the narrative and found a distasteful familiarity with the claims made. The GOP has circled the wagons, fronted by octogenarians emphasising a cultural dissonance, and it may - may - only serve to galvanise voters to punish these outdated defences.

To your first point, check this out..
    Thankfully, the Ms. Powers completely made toast of him

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1045114825280376832?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That guy is mad as hell, maybe be screaming at a woman is not the best look at a time like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That guy is mad as hell, maybe be screaming at a woman is not the best look at a time like this

Well at least he offset it with his claim that women will have to fear their sons being accused of sexual assault if we carry on like this.

See, he's a champion for women! Sure, most women already fear being a victim of sexual assault, but their sons being accused of sexual assault is going to be much harder for them to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Will you be placating yourself when he wins a second term? ;)

Trump will not get a second term. You can bookmark this and post in on your wall at home.

It wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

listermint wrote: »
    Trump will not get a second term. You can bookmark this and post in on your wall at home.

It wont happen.

A lot of people posted similar things saying he won't win the election. As horrible as it would be to see him win again, I wouldn't bet my savings on him loosing.

Will the prosecutor being brought in to ask the questions of Dr. Ford also question Kavanaugh? All media reports so far seem to suggest not.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Will the prosecutor being brought in to ask the questions of Dr. Ford also question Kavanaugh? All media reports so far seem to suggest not.

Mu understanding is that she will question him also. If so,you can bet they will be softballs
    A lot of people posted similar things saying he won't win the election. As horrible as it would be to see him win again, I wouldn't bet my savings on him loosing.

He won't even last to the end of this term. I have made an educated guess that he will be gone by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

pixelburp wrote: »

Christ he not stand to let her finish a sentence. He just kept interrupting. She kept remarkably calm in front of the hysterics.

Also does Trump taught them to put quarters in a sock have an alternate meaning? I guess maybe saving money but that would not fit the context even slightly. It really just sounds like a domestic violence reference.

As i said you can bookmark my post as a favourite. Trump will not have a second term.

If thats via impeachment , illness or simply getting racked over the coals by the electorate he wont have a second term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, the phrase "The lady doth protest too much" springs to mind here; I'm wondering about bookmarking that tweet in case of any future (inevitable) case against Caputo.

A remarkably un-selfaware performance, shouting over the woman while trying to reframe the narrative; I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who tries to argue that the real victims are all those young men who'll be targets of accusations. Can't help by theorise it's retrospective justification for past indiscretions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

listermint wrote: »
    As i said you can bookmark my post as a favourite. Trump will not have a second term.

If thats via impeachment , illness or simply getting racked over the coals by the electorate he wont have a second term.

The validity of that view depends entirely on the result of the mid-terms.

If the Dems take both houses - I'd agree with you , he's gone within a few months.

If they just take Congress and not the Senate , I think he lasts a bit longer..

If they don't take either and the GOP hold both houses , then all bets are off for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

It's already 3rd or 4th story now and will be old news by tomorrow but i'd love to hear from pro-trump about the UN laughter.
    "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.

(Laughter)

Americas- so true

(They laugh even louder)

Didn't expect that, but it's ok.

Then at the press conference Trump said they weren't laughing at him they were laughing with him, they were having fun.

So what was the big joke then?
    was it sarcasm?
    is he saying his presidency is a joke?
    were they having fun at the expense of any fool who would believe that B/S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The thing about the "why would good girls go to parties" question is it's implicit in the question that the parties were bad in the first place. That say's a lot about the boys [incl Kavanaugh] at the parties No one from the GOP making adverse statements about the Prof is recognizing that side of the coin, instead consistently attacking her and the other girls.

Even the women who've come out in support of Kavanaugh are doing exactly that, directly attacking any girl/woman who went to any of the parties [bad girls all] and the kicker is that the supporting women were [apparently] NOT at any of the parties so their Kavanaugh supporting witness statements aren't worth the paper they are written on, unless they are prepared to state that they knew the parties had one purpose only, to provide girls to satisfy the sexual desires of the boys and that's why they didn't go. That is never going to happen because it'd be a GOP recant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It's already 3rd or 4th story now and will be old news by tomorrow but i'd love to hear from pro-trump about the UN laughter.
    "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.

(Laughter)

Americas- so true

(They laugh even louder)

Then at the press conference Trump said they weren't laughing at him they were laughing with him, they were having fun.

was it sarcasm?

Don't hold your breath. One of them will be along in a bit to post a long propaganda piece unrelated to the conversation and will refuse to engage with anyone on anything they say. Another will make some comparison to how it's not as bad as something someone else did.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The validity of that view depends entirely on the result of the mid-terms.

If the Dems take both houses - I'd agree with you , he's gone within a few months.

If they just take Congress and not the Senate , I think he lasts a bit longer..

If they don't take either and the GOP hold both houses , then all bets are off for 2020.

My validity stems from the obvious shift in the people who previously used to support trump or the floating voters who just wanted to see what he was like. To the massive shift in terms of things like Nike's decision. I think the wider US population has had enough. So either is impeached, he steps out because he doesnt want a second term or he loses at the ballot box. I dont think you can pull the same con twice.

He wont get the second term.

(Laughter)

Americas- so true

(They laugh even louder)

was it sarcasm?

As someone wrote online, it was a "Booo" or "Boo..Urns" moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

(Laughter)

Americas- so true

(They laugh even louder)

was it sarcasm?

Back room [Pence & Kelly] staff comforting him later [it's OK, Mr President, it's a reverse compliment, they really admire you for your honesty - Don; really, you think so?].

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

(Laughter)

Americas- so true

(They laugh even louder)

was it sarcasm?

UN Ambassador Nikki Haley said Wednesday that world leaders who laughed during President Donald Trump's speech to the United Nations did so because "they loved how honest he is."

Haley said on Fox News that the press was wrong to portray the laughter as disrespectful to the president.

"They loved how honest he is," Haley said on the Fox and Friends show. "It’s not diplomatic and they find it funny."

She said diplomats were "falling over themselves" to get a picture with Trump and tell him "how great his speech was."

"They love that he’s honest with them and they’ve never seen anything like it, so there’s respect there," she said. "I saw that the media was trying to make it something disrespectful. That’s not what it was. They love to be with him."

No.no , he's not naked.. Look at the wonderful cut of the Emperors suit , only the truly stylish can appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

When I saw it I genuinely got the impression he thought they were laughing with him, as if he had said something witty. He did a little pause as if to compute. I don't think it entered his head for a second that they may be laughing at him. Classic narcissist, the narrative in his head has nothing to do with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

When I saw it I genuinely got the impression he thought they were laughing with him, as if he had said something witty. He did a little pause as if to compute. I don't think it entered his head for a second that they may be laughing at him. Classic narcissist, the narrative in his head has nothing to do with reality.

Seth Myers had a good take on it. He uses the same narrative in all his speech's at his events. The crowds at them never laugh.

So is he now claiming that it is all just a joke and that his supporters are simply not getting it, and thus all their holliering and whooping is actually totally misplaced as he is just having a laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

About to start. WP have it live, in case anyone is looking for a link. WP live youtube

• Advertisement

God this must be absolutely terrifying for her!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement