Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seetec/Jobpath advice

• 22-07-2018 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭

I have been reading the threads tagged with Seetec/Jobpath as I am trying to help an older family member who has a pending "engagement" soon. I feel uneasy in my comprehension of (or lack of, lol) the posts around as there seems to be some contradiction. On p.ie I read this:
    OK. I can now give definitive information re the outcome of a hearing of this matter - don't ask how I know. In short if you refuse to sign the Data Protection Consent Clause of the Personal Progression Plan (PPP) that they plant under your nose day one on JobPath there is nothing that Turas Nua/Seetec/DSP can do about it as there is a Charter Right to withhold your consent under Article 8(2) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU which was inserted into the Constitution re the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty in 2009. And it is unlawful under Article 8(2) of the Charter to impose any form of penalty or sanction such as a reduced or discontinued payment over a number of weeks for exercising your Charter Right. There is however an obligation on your part to attend every meeting or session that you have been called to under the Social Welfare Acts. Therefore you MUST attend every meeting but as long as you stick to your guns and refuse to sign the Data Protection Consent Clause stating that you are exercising your Charter Right in withholding your consent there is nothing Turas Nua/Seetac can do about it (although they will no doubt try to bluff you out of it) and they can then only refer you back to the DSP who themselves equally can do nothing about it as their policy of treating the non-signing of the Data Protection Consent Clause as non-compliance and sanctionable is unlawful. Further, a department Deciding Officer has absolutely no Jurisdiction on this matter as their remit is purely under the Social Welfare Acts and have no Jurisdiction whatsoever under the Data Protection Acts.

In short, if you want to defeat JobPath just refuse to sign the Data Protection Consent Clause stating that you are exercising your Charter Right to withhold your consent under Article 8(2) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU. but remember that you MUST attend every meeting you get called to or else they can in that case apply the sanction under the Social Welfare Acts. There is a provision where you can claim that you had 'good cause' for not attending but I wouldn't try mudding the waters by making that claim - just attend and stand your ground that you are withholding your consent.

If this gets a wide public airing it would probably mean the end of JobPath as it in effect will become 'optional' for participants rather than 'mandatory' meaning that numbers will drop like a stone and will no longer be a viable proposition for Turas Nua/Seetec.

The European Commission Justice and Consumers Directorate are currently investigating a complaint on this matter with a view to taking the matter to a hearing of the ECJ.

Yet, there seems no real evidence that anyone is having success with this avenue, else would not everyone be at this?

The issue is one of data being sent overseas, not engagement.
    So I am hoping I can gain some clarity here? Can they safely engage without signing this "PPP"? Or would this be ignorant/reckless advice?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been clarified already and I somehow missed it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Is there a specific reason why you relative doesn’t want to co operate with Jobpath? It’s a question of attending meetings, searching online for jobs, etc.
    Is it the data protection issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

No, the willingness to engage is there, it's more a worry over info I passed on after reading a few threads here in fact, lol: that the seetec servers are located overseas, etc, and that by signing one gives permission for use outside of Ireland.

The information is the same info you give when opening a bank account or applying for a drivers license or a medical card or an old age pension or registering to vote.
    It’s nothing like as extensive as the information you have to provide when applying for a first time passport aged over 18....or Irish citizenship .... or to go on the housing list...
    I find it odd that people have no problem handing over all this information including medical records and copies of utility bills to all these bodies but they suddenly become terribly security conscious when it’s Jobpath.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Splinter, but am I to assume you just don't know the answer to my original query?

This document contains a case whereby a man challenged the notion he had to sign the PPP despite being wiling to engage with Seetec. And he was successful: (page 17/18)
    http://unitedpeople.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/JobPath.-A-UnitedPeople-Report..pdf

And I've seen a good few posts round of people claiming they regret signing/won't sign, etc, yet I am not too sure as to whether or not these are genuine "clients". So I remain a bit wary of advising one way or the other.

However, I am not surprised at people not wanting to have their data shared/stored overseas by a British company that has a lot of negative feedback in regards to both its methods and apparent lack of effectiveness. On the other hand, disgruntled people are in general more likely to post I suppose.

Thanks anyhow.

There’s an entire thread here on boards,64 pages long, about United People
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057766783/1/#post104166259
    I would suggest you give a glance through that thread before you invest any more confidence in anything Jeff says did or didn’t happen.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

My reasons for not being a fan of signing the PPP is the follow-up actions it allows TN. Whether they help you find the job, or you get it yourself without any input or assistance from TN, the PPP allows them claim a commission AND contact yourself and your new employer at intervals throughout the first year of your new job.
    I think as a newcomer to any sort of business it looks very amateur to have a rep from TN ringing your new employer to see how things are going. It could be seen as a nuisance and reflect poorly on the new employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jlav1

Hi guys. Butting in here. I'm with seetec and on a C.E. scheme. I have kept my appointments and as of today, I have found myself a full time job. This has been without any help from seetec whatsoever. My question is this. Can I leave seetec without telling them that I have found work. Don't like the idea of them calling me or my new employer every so often. Do I tell them or just say that i will not be attending anymore and to leave me alone? Thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

jlav1 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Butting in here. I'm with seetec and on a C.E. scheme. I have kept my appointments and as of today, I have found myself a full time job. This has been without any help from seetec whatsoever. My question is this. Can I leave seetec without telling them that I have found work. Don't like the idea of them calling me or my new employer every so often. Do I tell them or just say that i will not be attending anymore and to leave me alone? Thank you in advance!

don't tell them anything,just cut off all contact
    if they ring just hang up

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Walter Knight

jlav1 wrote: »
    I wonder why people bother of Seetec if they are allready on C.E. or even got a job. It`s C.E. ,your new employer and yourself who provides means for living, not Seetec or SWO...So why do you bare with Seetec/SWO ? I`m so regret that the sistem begets such a slave minded way of thinking... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Cactusmania

Hi Amazingfun,

Yes, you can engage without signing the Personal Progression Plan ( no fear of penalty). I completed the 12 months a couple of months ago.
    You should be there less often because in my experience, there is a set routine they follow in these cases.
    1. They will give you a list of jobs to be filed in and tell you to bring it back in the next time. (If you sign the PPP, this will go on you record,
    where apparently, the Social Welfare can see it. Without your signature, it doesn't seem to matter, so long as you fill it in, they can't check).
    2. You won't have to do any of the "job-search" appointments. (Again, no PPP means they can't create an account for you on their system).
    3. From time to time, you personal adviser will go through some questions with you, simple yes/no/agree/strongly agree questions etc. Takes about 5 minutes, very easy.
    4. Only once in the 12 months was the CV discussed. Emailed the CV, talked about it at next appointment, made necessary changes(at home, you won't be using their computers), asked was I happy with it. I said I was, and that was that.
    5. They might ask you on occasion about signing the PPP, it's your choice (If you don't sign, they can't look for jobs/arrange interviews on your behalf)
    6. Don't be surprised on occasion to have some appointments cancelled, usually one or two days before. This happened several times with me, they send you a text. Also, apart from the texts cancelling appointments, they never contacted me once while I was with them.
    7. You won't have any group appointments, only one to one, and you won't have to do any of their workshops. Be careful about anything they ask you to sign (whether that's on paper or computer).

That's pretty much it. It's up to you how to proceed. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

When a person joins Turas Nua/Seetec they will be asked to sign two documents one of these is the PPP and the other is the consent form. It is my understanding that you are obliged to sign the PPP...The consent form if you sign it, gives them your consent for them to contact prospective employers on your behalf. You are not obliged to sign the consent form.

Will the JobPath Company contact my employer when I find work?

At the outset of your participation with the JobPath service, your personal advisor will ask for your consent to allow the company to contact your employer or prospective employers on your behalf. You are not obliged to give this consent to the JobPath provider, and can withdraw your consent at any time, However by giving them permission to contact employers you allow the JobPath company who work with employers and employers bodies to identify suitable job opportunities for you and to forward your CV and job applications directly to employers where appropriate. The permission also allows the JobPath company to follow up with the employer if required when you find a job for the purpose of supporting you in early days of your new job and in the case where other opportunities arise for you, to help you to move to another role or area within the business. This also enables the JobPath Company to confirm details of the employment to the Department.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobPath-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Jobseeker.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Hi Amazingfun,

Yes, you can engage without signing the Personal Progression Plan ( no fear of penalty). I completed the 12 months a couple of months ago.
    You should be there less often because in my experience, there is a set routine they follow in these cases.
    1. They will give you a list of jobs to be filed in and tell you to bring it back in the next time. (If you sign the PPP, this will go on you record,
    where apparently, the Social Welfare can see it. Without your signature, it doesn't seem to matter, so long as you fill it in, they can't check).
    2. You won't have to do any of the "job-search" appointments. (Again, no PPP means they can't create an account for you on their system).
    3. From time to time, you personal adviser will go through some questions with you, simple yes/no/agree/strongly agree questions etc. Takes about 5 minutes, very easy.
    4. Only once in the 12 months was the CV discussed. Emailed the CV, talked about it at next appointment, made necessary changes(at home, you won't be using their computers), asked was I happy with it. I said I was, and that was that.
    5. They might ask you on occasion about signing the PPP, it's your choice (If you don't sign, they can't look for jobs/arrange interviews on your behalf)
    6. Don't be surprised on occasion to have some appointments cancelled, usually one or two days before. This happened several times with me, they send you a text. Also, apart from the texts cancelling appointments, they never contacted me once while I was with them.
    7. You won't have any group appointments, only one to one, and you won't have to do any of their workshops. Be careful about anything they ask you to sign (whether that's on paper or computer).

That's pretty much it. It's up to you how to proceed. Best of luck :)

I refused to sign it when I was with them but they simply forged my name on the PPP obviously to get their pound of flesh off SW.. I got a job all by myself shortly after so never bothered to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

don't tell them anything,just cut off all contact
    if they ring just hang up

When I got my own job I never told them or SW where I was going to work but somehow they found out and started to harass my employer for information about me..To this day I still don't know how they found out the only ones who knew where I was working was the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

You didnt tell SW where you went to work?

I love how people see social welfare payments as a right. Sad really.

You know revenue and SW are connected yea?

Mr.H wrote: »

I love how people see social welfare payments as a right. Sad really.

You know revenue and SW are connected yea?
    You are assuming this person this person is still signing, if a person finds a job and signs off online or simply stops collecting jobseekers what business is it of SW where they work? Absolutely none

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

After being with T.Nua for one year how soon can they call you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

blowin3 wrote: »
    After being with T.Nua for one year how soon can they call you again.

I think you can be called back after 12 months.

Plugguy wrote: »
    I think you can be called back after 12 months.

Thanks for reply . I thought it was something like that. I finished with them about 6 months ago . I am on X and O's and do agency work at the moment which is going well as I am generally getting getting 4 to 5 days a week. But that could change with the strike of a pen
    . Last time I was with them most times I could not make appointments as I was working but when I did she would ask me some questions and just say good luck see you in 2 weeks...waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Cactusmania

According to the minister for SW, it's 4 months after the 12 months have been completed when you become eligible again.

https://www.thejournal.ie/jopath-third-time-referrals-4527202-Mar2019/

According to the minister for SW, it's 4 months after the 12 months have been completed when you become eligible again.

https://www.thejournal.ie/jopath-third-time-referrals-4527202-Mar2019/
    Thanks for the link it means they are entitled to call me back. But reading the comments it says I dont have to sign the PPC . Its a joke as I will be working most days so won't be able to attend like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mr.H wrote:

I was unemployed for a period in 2017. I found a job myself and simply told Intreo the date I was signing off. I didn't tell them where I was going to work and they didn't ask. Not really sure what your issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thanks for the link it means they are entitled to call me back. But reading the comments it says I dont have to sign the PPC . Its a joke as I will be working most days so won't be able to attend like the last time.

but if you're working they won't call you

*unless you're still getting SW?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fryup wrote:
    but if you're working they won't call you
    fryup wrote:
    *unless you're still getting SW?

Sounds like they're working in precarious employment, something of which is not considered and/or ignored during this process, there's a good chance they ll eventually get called back as they're claiming partial welfare

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Sounds like they're working in precarious employment, something of which is not considered and/or ignored during this process, there's a good chance they ll eventually get called back as they're claiming partial welfare

I am working (2 years ) but on X and O's . I get prob one payment every 4 to 5 weeks due to a short week. But I dont want to sign off as I am agency and that can change overnight.

I spoke on the phone to TN and asked did I have to sign a contract after a bit of discussion she admitted no I did not have to sign and I won't be signing. I explained due to work I will not be able attend many of their sessions and I was not going to be bullied into signing off.

I am working (2 years ) but on X and O's . I get prob one payment every 4 to 5 weeks due to a short week. But I dont want to sign off as I am agency and that can change overnight.

I spoke on the phone to TN and asked did I have to sign a contract after a bit of discussion she admitted no I did not have to sign and I won't be signing. I explained due to work I will not be able attend many of their sessions and I was not going to be bullied into signing off.

are you currently a part of the turas nua program?

No I finished with them last December and they called me again.

No I finished with them last December and they called me again.

when did they call you last? be aware, you re under no obligation to answer calls from them now as you re no longer a part of the program, just ignore the calls

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    when did they call you last? be aware, you re under no obligation to answer calls from them now as you re no longer a part of the program, just ignore the calls

Thank you Wanderer78 they text and sent letter. But I think I am obliged to go to their meetings or sign off. It would be easy to sign off as I said I am getting plenty of hours but with this government who knows what next week will bring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement