Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120GB SSD £22.99 on 7dayshop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

GBX wrote: »
    Delays happen with many vendors. Not only that, when posted on the likes of HKUD and then here, orders increase. So they could be under pressure to get all the orders out. Have ordered from 7day before. No issues.

All fair points you make , but my problem is I bought the Kingston one , and they said they

put it in the post on 24/07/18 which I find very hard to believe .I couldn`t be dealing with companys like that .So I will be contacting paypal on Tuesday for a refund .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rebeve wrote: »
    All fair points you make , but my problem is I bought the Kingston one , and they said they

put it in the post on 24/07/18 which I find very hard to believe .I couldn`t be dealing with companys like that .So I will be contacting paypal on Tuesday for a refund .

I bought something from the UK that was dispatched 2 weeks ago and it only arrived today.

I find stuff using the UK postal service can be really slow the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

I bought something from the UK that was dispatched 2 weeks ago and it only arrived today.

I find stuff using the UK postal service can be really slow the last while.

My order from 23/7 has been split - received a couple of cheap card readers routed through Rotterdam today (real £ value on the CN22 docket ... bit of a shock, so used to China).

If the two drives come (together) the same way they're heading for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Maybe if they changed there name to 17dayshop .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

They are back in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would this slot in to replace a 60 GB S.M.A.R.T 5,400 rpm drive in a Toshiba Satellite L20-173 laptop?

Edit: Laptop specs

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-l20-173/

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Esel wrote: »
    Would this slot in to replace a 60 GB S.M.A.R.T 5,400 rpm drive in a Toshiba Satellite L20-173 laptop?

Yes it will fit

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ordered on the 23rd, nothing yet. I think AliExpress might have been quicker! 😠Sent them an email to advise, no response yet.

Esel wrote: »

More likely the L20-173 takes this older PATA pinned driive:

2612sn4.jpg

The Crucial SSD compatibility checker (site just gone down for maintenance :() gives nothing for the 173 (ie. neither SSD or memory compatible) and only three of the L20 range have a SATA output taking SSD's.

Best to check the drive physically or run Belarc Adviser/AIDA etc to identify the drive model number and google image it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

styron wrote: »
    More likely the L20-173 takes this older PATA pinned driive:

2612sn4.jpg

The Crucial SSD compatibility checker (site just gone down for maintenance :() gives nothing for the 173 (ie. neither SSD or memory compatible) and only three of the L20 range have a SATA output taking SSD's.

Best to check the drive physically or run Belarc Adviser/AIDA etc to identify the drive model number and google image it.

The maintence manual link

mentions
    South Bridge
    − ATI SB400 for Celeron-M Platform
    With sata support.

But yeh, not sure if that specific model varient has a sata port

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jeez, time for a new laptop I'd say! A €30 SSD would be worth more than the laptop itself. You would genuinely get a much faster laptop with sata for €50-60 that you could then install the SSD into.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could anyone link me to a cheap USB enclosure which would suit these drives to turn it into an external HDD?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Could anyone link me to a cheap USB enclosure which would suit these drives to turn it into an external HDD?
    3-4 week wait, nice design or transparent for even cheaper

You're better cloning the drive and switching over the mechanical drive for use as the external.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know if this would work in the HP 260 G1 (bought on here) - currently has a 32gb M2 that now won't load Windows 10 following updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone know if this would work in the HP 260 G1 (bought on here) - currently has a 32gb M2 that now won't load Windows 10 following updates?

You'll need one of these aparently. Haven't got that pc myself.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ENVY-17-DW17-Hard-Drive-Cable-Flex-Connector-6017B0421601-6017B0421501-FR-SP-/282999949068?oid=301462756004

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Thanks, I will give it a go

Arrived - Swiss "Accelerated Bulk Airmail" (ordered 23/7).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Interesting. Did you order from 7dayshop?

Wondering because I ordered it from Amazon that same day, and when it dispatched last week got a message saying it was coming via Asendia, which apparently is a joint venture between Swiss & French postal services.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Got mine yesterday, made a nice difference to an 8 year old Macbook Pro! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

MarkR wrote: »
    Me too.
    mine arrived this morning . They also said accelerated bulk mail

duridian wrote: »
    Interesting. Did you order from 7dayshop?

Wondering because I ordered it from Amazon that same day, and when it dispatched last week got a message saying it was coming via Asendia, which apparently is a joint venture between Swiss & French postal services.
    Yes, with 7dayshop's own CN22 - sent from Embrach (CH-8424) and unfranked.

The one I ordered from Amazon arrived today as well. :)
    Priiority post from Asendia by La Poste & Swiss Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

So, installed in pc, detected & assigned the letter "F". Clone to Macrium due.then plan to swap Sata cabels on Motherboard. At what point do I reassign SSD (boot) with the letter "C"?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mrtom wrote: »
    So, installed in pc, detected & assigned the letter "F". Clone to Macrium due.then plan to swap Sata cabels on Motherboard. At what point do I reassign SSD (boot) with the letter "C"?

You dont need to swap cables. Physical port and boot order aren't related.

The cloning should make them both a "C" drive in their own eyes but something else in each others. Enter the bios to swap the first boot device.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

ED E wrote: »
    You dont need to swap cables. Physical port and boot order aren't related.

The cloning should make them both a "C" drive in their own eyes but something else in each others. Enter the bios to swap the first boot device.

Got it, clear on bios/boot but " in their own eyes but something else in each others" needs chewing ! So clone (currently "F") will become "C" & current "C" wild auto select a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Are you sure it's SATA and not IDE? Sata wouldn't fit. Are the ribbon data cables flat, or are a couple of wires twisted for drive designation?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got it, clear on bios/boot but " in their own eyes but something else in each others" needs chewing ! So clone (currently "F") will become "C" & current "C" wild auto select a letter?

The drive that is currently booted is always C:

Disk 1: Windows 8
    Disk 2: Windows 10 (Just examples)

When Windows 8 is booted D1 is C:, when W10 is booted D2 is C: The mountpoints are fluid (Same way a USB key can be F: in one PC and E: in the next).

• Advertisement

This happens because operating systems use environmental variables to determine mount points of things such as the root system, user folders, program folders etc., This applies to just about any operating system nowadays.

It allows much greater flexibility in the event that something major changes, compared to using absolute set in stone locations. e.g., A system running Windows XP might have a second hard drive installed by someone who wished to dual using Windows XP and Windows 7, so that they can switch back and forth according to their need.

So they would install Windows 7 to the second hard drive without erasing XP and it would result in a menu at boot time which would allow selection of the OS to boot.
    Using variables allows this to adapt depending on which hard drive has the currently booted OS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

Advertisement