Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffy Reboot

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Is Hollywood rewriting history, as people here have already alluded to. Movies such as Ghostbusters and the Ocean’s heist series, replacing an all male cast with an all female cast just comes off as being rediculous. It will soon be sexist to have a male in the leading role of a movie/t.v. show. Now a black Buffy makes an entrance. A gay John McClane anybody? John McClane’s husband is on a hijacked plane and he has to save him? Can we tick a box on any other suppressed groups in a movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,820 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reminds me of the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon. Was a good show but was basically the PC Ghostbusters. Main characters were a Latino guy, a black guy, a white guy in a wheelchair and a goth girl.
    Leave my memories alone, you fiends. Back to the Future reboot will be on the way soon enough I'm sure. :(

Or Enter the Dragon. But they would never do...
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/959997-david-leitch-enter-the-dragon-remake

Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

They could have done a Buffy universe type show years ago and it would have run for years. Most people growing up nowadays have never seen the original so the reboot is aimed at them and will probably work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don’t understand the need for a reboot myself. I mean the whole story is just set up to continue with a new slayer already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey if you're going to reboot a beloved, if not religiously worshipped show (which is surely the real talking point), you might as well give it a new narrative hook; it's a potentially interesting switch of perspective and narrative twist - if the ethnicity is part of the story ala shows like Luke Cage or Black Lightning, where they're as much tales about living in black neighbourhoods, as they are superhero shows. The world doesn't need another high school drama, though it certainly doesn't need another reboot either.

To be honest, I never got into Buffy or saw the great appeal of the show, but it's a shame to see Whedon return to familiar ground than actually try his hand at something new, outside his comfort zone. The man almost seems to be coasting on good will at this stage. Wish he'd go back to writing; I may not be a card carrying fan but I've always been excited to see what he comes up with next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    To be honest, I never got into Buffy or saw the great appeal of the show, but it's a shame to see Whedon return to familiar ground than actually try his hand at something new, outside his comfort zone. The man almost seems to be coasting on good will at this stage. Wish he'd go back to writing; I may not be a card carrying fan but I've always been excited to see what he comes up with next.

He's Exec Producing the show and helping get it off the ground with setting up the show and helping with the pilot, but other than that he'll not be working on the show. He's announced a new HBO show called The Nevers about a group of female vigilante superheroes in Victorian times. That's what he'll be focusing on and writing. It's still kinda familiar ground (as he said himself in an interview, "I'm doing ANOTHER superhero team?"), but with HBO and being set in Victorian times, it'll still feel fresh hopefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, I hadn't heard of The Nevers; between this reboot, and his patch job of Justice League it felt like Whedon wasn't really trying these days. With luck HBO will give him the latitude he has probably never got in the past (HBO takeover notwithstanding). He just has to work on his comfort zone now :D

Ah, I hadn't heard of The Nevers; between this reboot, and his patch job of Justice League it felt like Whedon wasn't really trying these days. With luck HBO will give him the latitude he has probably never got in the past (HBO takeover notwithstanding). He just has to work on his comfort zone now :D

Yeah I'm excited for his new show. I know many didn't but I f*cking loved Age of Ultron, and Whedon still remains one of my favourite writers/directors. I'm glad to see him going back into TV after a long beak and his new show sounds like it could be great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So going by an article on io9, it looks like this isn't a reboot but a continuation:

Says the show runner:
    For some genre writers it’s Star Wars.
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my Star Wars.

Before I became a writer, I was a fan. For seven seasons, I watched Buffy Summers grow up, find love, kill that love. I watched her fight, and struggle and slay.

There is only one Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel... They can’t be replaced. Joss Whedon’s brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated. I wouldn’t try to.

But here we are, twenty years later...
    And the world seems a lot scarier.
    So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer...

And that’s all I can say.

That makes me far more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Typical lazy writers who don't know what the word "Reboot" means, remember all the Roseanne and X-Files reboot news when they weren't a reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

KevinCavan wrote: »
    A gay John McClane anybody? John McClane’s husband is on a hijacked plane and he has to save him? Can we tick a box on any other suppressed groups in a movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoPmZuGjHc#t=35

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Typical lazy writers who don't know what the word "Reboot" means, remember all the Roseanne and X-Files reboot news when they weren't a reboot.
    Yep and same with 'Doctor Who' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Black buffy, check
    Hispanic gay giles, check
    Wheelchair bound deaf cancer, check
    Trans gender willow, check
    Fema nazi Cordelia, check
    Trump esque bad guy, check

Token Oirish Vampire, Check :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60,316 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I want the Spike and Giles/Ripper spin offs more than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Bainneban wrote: »
    They could have done a Buffy universe type show years ago and it would have run for years. Most people growing up nowadays have never seen the original so the reboot is aimed at them and will probably work.

The young one and her friends have all watched the original,
    You'd be surprised (I'm not) a lot of people growing up nowadays have watched the show.

Anyway seems it won't be a reboot

Thank Feck for small mercies.

If it's not a reboot I might give it a go ...but really rehashing the greats got stale long ago ...

New Charmed is getting ripped to shreds online have they even wrote the pilot yet? ...I can only imagine the reaction a reboot Buffy would have got.

Have they written the Charmed pilot, you're asking? Starts this year and can see the trailer online for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Have they written the Charmed pilot, you're asking? Starts this year and can see the trailer online for it.

LOL some trailer feel like I've watched the whole first season :D
    It also seems they've included a 'Giles' character... looks sh!te tbh.
    Ill pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I love the original show and while I'd much prefer a sequel or a spin off of that I am not automatically against a remake. If it ends up as a terrible idea, so be it and no harm done. If it ends up as something good, then great.

Whedon has always be against such a thing in the past, so if he has changed his mind there must be a reason. I'll choose to take the reasons as positive in nature.

I hope though that they put a different spin on it - that they don't try to copy the characters or humour but do something new.

As long as they don't go down the girl power type route. Buffy was about a strong female character but I can't recall any in your face feminism or something similar. (Remember the recent Flash episode with all the women on the hen?) There wasn't even any real Dawson's Creek drama om Buffy.
    So if it manages to stay as subtle, they'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The entire last season of Buffy was pretty on the nose in terms of it's message, was it not? Not that it bothered me.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As long as they don't go down the girl power type route. Buffy was about a strong female character but I can't recall any in your face feminism or something similar. (Remember the recent Flash episode with all the women on the hen?) There wasn't even any real Dawson's Creek drama om Buffy.
    So if it manages to stay as subtle, they'll be okay.

The entire show was about feminism, and had regular metaphors and allegories of feminism throughout. That episode of The Flash wasn't bad because of 'in your face feminism', it was just a bad episode because it was forced and ham-fisted, as that show has been with other concepts.

Buffy is definitely about feminism and girl power. It's how well they incorporate it into the show and scripts, as like you say, the original was quite subtle at it for the most part. But it's still going to be a central theme of the show, and one thing they'll be able to do with the new show is show how feminism has changed since the original.

I guarantee if Buffy was released today, it would have been dog-piled on and generally hated at for being a 'feminist' show. It just had the benefit of being broadcast before the internet morphed into a giant version of the Daily Mail comments section ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

more 'original' programming

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I guarantee if Buffy was released today, it would have been dog-piled on and generally hated at for being a 'feminist' show. It just had the benefit of being broadcast before the internet morphed into a giant version of the Daily Mail comments section ;)

nah, the outrage would be all the mansplaining Giles does :D , the characters are too white and something something patriarchy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,316 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Reboot: Marti Noxon Didn’t Want ‘Sacred Text’ Touched at First
    When news of Joss Whedon and Monica Owusu-Breen’s “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” reboot broke last month, there were pretty much two responses from a very divided fanbase.

The first was an outraged “how dare you?” and the second was an optimistic “let’s wait and see.”

And while Marti Noxon was initially a member of the former group, the prolific TV producer — who served as showrunner on Season 6 of Whedon’s cult series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar — has since joined up with the latter.

“I’ll be honest, initially I was like, ‘Nooo! Don’t touch the sacred text!'” Noxon told TheWrap. “But the more I learned about it, the more excited I got.”

Last month, the plans for a “Buffy” reboot were revealed, with Whedon on board and Owusu-Breen set as showrunner for the series, which will feature a black lead character.

The “don’t touch ‘Buffy'” backlash was so strong it prompted Owusu-Breen to take to Twitter to reassure fans “there is only one Buffy” and that Whedon’s “brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated.”

“I wouldn’t try to,” she wrote. “But here we are, 20 years later … and the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer … And that’s all I can say.”

Noxon, for one, thinks it’s “a great concept.”

“I’m excited that there is a female showrunner and that she’s a woman of color writing about a woman of color,” Noxon told TheWrap. “So I’m actually really pumped for it.”

As for whether or not Noxon would sign on for the reboot, she says she’s been “kind of busy” doing her own thing (see: HBO’s “Sharp Objects” and AMC’s “Dietland.”)

“So if they ask — I don’t know what I’d say,” Noxon said. “It depends on what I was doing. But I think they’ve got it covered (laughs).”

https://www.thewrap.com/buffy-reboot-marti-noxon-joss-whedon-monica-owusu-breen/

Advertisement