Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffy Reboot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ok. This isn't just aimed at the Buffy reboot, but why do they keep doing this?
    If you want to do a Buffy show, use different characters and change the name. Can then just say the show is inspired by Buffy. Buffy wasn't the first or last supernaturally powered character. So there is room for others.
    By rebooting you will instantly have fans being against it. You will have comparisons being made. You will have to figure out if it's tied to the original or not. You will need to worry about how to keep old fans happy while getting new fans. I know they're trying to cash in on the name but it's not always a good idea.
    By saying the show is inspired by Buffy, you get Buffy fans willing to check it out without judging it as harshly.
    Most fans will likely tune in out of curiosity, but like I said, they'll be comparing the 2 leads and other elements.

This goes for other reboots as well. I guess Charmed would be the most recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney will also own the right to Buffy when the Fox takeover goes through.

And Firefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

And Firefly.

456293.gif

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Clareman wrote: »
    Idiotic. It was clearly established that there can be multiple slayers now. No need for a reboot and yet allow for nods to the original. It would allow the characters to develop themselves without being judged against the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep a reboot is ridiculous. They've done a lot of world building in the first series (and the comics that came after). Why throw that all away?

The fact that Joss Whedon is involved makes it even more baffling. The opportunity for callbacks, easter eggs, guest stars etc. is a massive opportunity squandered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Why remake what was already a pretty much perfect show?

Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel are not only two of my favourite shows of all-time, but they also helped mould me in to the person I am, and I don't want that legacy tarnished in any way. Obviously I'll check out any reboot they make and if they manage to capture the magic, then great, but from experience with remakes and reboots of other shows, I'm not holding my breath and mostly think this is unnecessary, as the original series still holds up. Really, as others have said, what they should be doing is another show set in the Buffyverse, but focusing on new characters, not redoing what has already been done.

If they just keep the name and the basic premise - as in the lead character is called Buffy (but not Buffy Summers) and she & all the other characters are entirely different from the characters from the original show, then maybe, just maybe, there's a glimmer of hope that it could work, but there'll only ever be one Buffy Summers, one Giles, one Willow, one Xander, one Cordelia, one Angel, one Spike, one Oz, etc. etc. so if they intend to recast those existing characters I don't think the existing fan base will be able to get on board.

Also, Joss Whedon's involvement is probably more of a "they're re-making this show whether I like it or not, so I may as well have a foot in the door to try and steer it in a bearable direction".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Buffy was great, the spin off was (arguably) just as good if not better, I would have thought it would be the perfect show to have a "Next Generation" rather than a reboot, it's been so long since it was on they could reference stuff that happened in the original show while having all new characters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Also, Joss Whedon's involvement is probably more of a "they're re-making this show whether I like it or not, so I may as well have a foot in the door to try and steer it in a bearable directionmake a few quid out of it".

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can kinda see the merits in rebooting rather than just go with a new slayer in continuity with the fact there's now thousands of slayers, as it becomes a case of "Why is this slayer special" and "Why can't Buffy, Willow etc not help". The show and new Buffy is always going to be compared to the original but if they kept it in continuity, the actual main character of the show would literally be in Buffys shadow within the show.

That said, it really doesn't need to be rebooted at all. The original still holds up as in many ways it was ahead of its time in a lot of areas.

But... Whedon being involved... and if they took it in a whole new direction... It could turn into something great.

I'm conflicted in the idea of a reboot, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, its a coming back

Buffy to be rebooted.

https://news.sky.com/story/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-to-get-a-reboot-and-a-brand-new-lead-actress-11444562

"diverse, with some aspects of the series… seen as metaphors for issues facing society today"

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Seems weird to do a reboot as opposed to creating a series around another slayer in a post Buffy universe.

The only thing that really appeals is the fact that Whedon is executive producer. Although I'm more excited to read that he's creating and running a new fantasy show for HBO.

There is already a conversation about it in the New/Renewed/Cancelled thread - let me pull those into this thread.

Edit: Buffy Conversations Merged.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The only thing that really appeals is the fact that Whedon is executive producer.
    That role will mean practically nothing. He'll maybe give some initial pointers but I'd be surprised if he had any real involvement, especially with his own show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

'Executive Producer' is a totally nominal position in any production; it almost always means the person has no day-to-day input in the writers room or on set. I think it's just a way to ensure some royalties or a percentage of whatever profit arrangements are in place.

Or to put it another way by example: Steven Spielberg is an executive producer of the Transformers film franchise. I'm sure it doesn't need saying that his presence is not visible in the final product ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Black buffy, check
    Hispanic gay giles, check
    Wheelchair bound deaf cancer, check
    Trans gender willow, check
    Fema nazi Cordelia, check
    Trump esque bad guy, check

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Surely in this era of #need2Boffended then if Doctor Who is now woman Buffy should be a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    'Executive Producer' is a totally nominal position in any production; it almost always means the person has no day-to-day input in the writers room or on set. I think it's just a way to ensure some royalties or a percentage of whatever profit arrangements are in place.

Or to put it another way by example: Steven Spielberg is an executive producer of the Transformers film franchise. I'm sure it doesn't need saying that his presence is not visible in the final product ;)

Executive Producer is the real power in television. It’s the opposite of movies where simply “Producer” rules and the executive producer is someone’s kid.

Surely in this era of #need2Boffended then if Doctor Who is now woman Buffy should be a man.

How dare you?! Don't you know you can change gender from male and/or race from white, but you can never go in the opposite direction! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think the only time they've gender swapped the other way is having a male receptionist to the all female Ghostbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems like the feminists are offended going by anita sarky's response, its almost like someone is stealing their childhood :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep a reboot is ridiculous. They've done a lot of world building in the first series (and the comics that came after). Why throw that all away?

The fact that Joss Whedon is involved makes it even more baffling. The opportunity for callbacks, easter eggs, guest stars etc. is a massive opportunity squandered.

Maybe the story he wants to tell would clash with the world they’ve built and continued in the comics.

I for one am glad there’ll be no waster eggs and guest stars etc.

I think all that stuff they do in the DC shows like have the original flash play Barry’s father, and dan cain and the original super girl play super girls parents is just pure PR nonsense. It adds nothing to the shows for me.

• Advertisement

If you think they won't have any of the Buffy cast appearing, I'd say you're way out. Especially if it makes it past the first season. Won't be as their characters but in roles similar to Supergirl (Helen, Dean, Erica Durance, Laura Vandervoort, Teri Hatcher), Flash (John, Amanda Pays, Mark Hamill. Seems the last 2 played their original characters or versions of them) and Smallville(Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Teri, Dean) . Even Hawaii Five 0 had an appearance from someone who died years ago using very dodgy special effects.
    Charmed reboot is unlikely to have any of the main 3 or 4 women considering their reaction to the reboot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Executive Producer is the real power in television. It’s the opposite of movies where simply “Producer” rules and the executive producer is someone’s kid.

Not always though I'd have said, and that it depends; the aforementioned Spielberg has been executive producer for a tonne of shows and I'd be sceptical as how much influence he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

BTVS was brilliant and well ahead of its time in certain aspects. Angel in my opinion was even better. The comedy and dialogue in that was fantastic.

A Buffy reboot in this day and age is going to be agenda after agenda rammed down your throat with no bite (excuse the pun) so as not to offend the perpetually offended.

I'm gonna keep the original in my mind unless I hear absolutely mind blowing things about any reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Battlestar Gallactica reboot was brilliant alongside Dr. Who and Star Trek: Discovery

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I think all that stuff they do in the DC shows like have the original flash play Barry’s father, and dan cain and the original super girl play super girls parents is just pure PR nonsense. It adds nothing to the shows for me.

Not what I meant. I mean the original Buffy, Willow, Giles, Xander, Spike etc. (not the actors playing alternate characters).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ironically enough, it’s often forgotten at this stage that the Buffy TV series was itself a reboot, one that transformed a pretty forgettable (and obviously forgotten!) 1992 film with Kirsty Swanson into one of the most acclaimed TV shows of its time.

Of course, in the 90s, reboot meant pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del on a PC, and wasn’t typically applied in a fiction context!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

icdg wrote: »
    Ironically enough, it’s often forgotten at this stage that the Buffy TV series was itself a reboot, one that transformed a pretty forgettable (and obviously forgotten!) 1992 film with Kirsty Swanson into one of the most acclaimed TV shows of its time.

Of course, in the 90s, reboot meant pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del on a PC, and wasn’t typically applied in a fiction context!

No it wasn't, they changed actress and new giles but the first episode of TV show she references the events of the movie. If you remember when giles tells her who he is she isn't shocked and says "not again".

Yeah the tv series was based on the original script for the movie, which is why they mention her old school being burned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

lost my mind to that show back in the day. Used to record the series on VHS and then watch it when the series was over. I waited for Season 6 before watching the Season 5 finale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Leave my memories alone, you fiends. Back to the Future reboot will be on the way soon enough I'm sure. :(

Advertisement