Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Marianne Williamson was the most searched candidate on google after the debate.
    All of her tweets have gone viral since.

Similar to what seemingly is happening to Yang, Streisand Effect
    The Streisand effect is a phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I noticed that too.

Not that it's a bad thing. But i thought 'she's rehearsed almost everything she has said'.

I still think she has a very fair chance though.

And i think she would be a good candidate.

Biden is done though. Too much baggage.
    For lefties sure but they can't see past their noses on some points. Way too early to be making calls as this is just the initial clearout phase of the useless. There are also far too many on the left for now. If the Dems bow to the left and choose someone who "represents their values" they'd better be sure it's someone Americans will vote for in large enough numbers. The old white guys may be horses for courses but they may also be the answer for 2020. The real nightmare for the Dems is Trump beating their best choice and having Pence looking very Presidential in five years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Kimsang wrote: »
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yang complaining about his mic been off, I believe him as does not strike me as a type of guy to moan for sake of it.

It seems the "YangGang" believe in a much wider conspiracy against him executed by MSNBC outlined here.

Evidence he was muted.

Speaking minutes.
    D-KJPKbXUAEmctm.png

#Questions asked(average of two debates)
    D-J8_zQX4AESgJW.jpg

During the Poor People’s Campaign Forum, MSNBC spoke over Yang’s appearance.
    https://twitter.com/scottsantens/status/1144635584427827200

Here’s an MSNBC graphic from earlier this week where Yang’s picture was missing and some candidates who didn’t qualify for the debates were included:
    display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fs39ud3sovw531.png
    D9_NSqHWwAEFiWk?format=jpg&name=small
    D4r2ljWXsAEtBOp.jpg

If there is indeed a greater conspiracy by MSNBC here as the "YangGang" suggest, why is it? Is it for the same reason DNC obstructed Sander's candidacy because of his U.B.I.? (watching MSNBC I doubt this)

Or because they seem him as not a career politician, a businessman, something akin to Trump that they can't control?

Or something else? Or no conspiracy?

Can't say I find that very persuasive. You have, among other things, a man raising his hand gesturing that he'd like to speak, and a nonsensical number of questions asked to each candidate that includes people who weren't even at the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Trump evens for 2nd term on PP, I've put everthing I own on it, better than any pension scheme.

That could end up being a great shout. Care to post a screenshot or a picture of the betting slip for the record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Kimsang wrote: »
    Easiest money you'll ever make. I got him at 2/1 :D
    Got him election night live markets around 10/1, another chap/lady started the 25/1 thread on him way back mid-2016, and collected. Even with all the slating that came from it.

If he gets a Nobel peace prize for transformation of Kim from angry Rocketman into a Chuckle Bro, would stand a very good chance.

2.1 is available currently, just slightly better than evens.

Still to low however to consider (only chase double digits). Do however also like Yang for POTUS (he has the best USP of any politician in history). Well, that is, if he can make it through all the DemNom circus noise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yang is polling at 1-2%, it's not exactly a mystery why he got so little airtime, or might have been ignored. There's no conspiracy at play here, the field is flooded with low polling driftwood. Presumably Yang will contemplate running as a 3rd party once his Democrat dalliance comes to an end.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yang is polling at 1-2%, it's not exactly a mystery why he got so little airtime, or might have been ignored. There's no conspiracy at play here, the field is flooded with low polling driftwood. Presumably Yang will contemplate running as a 3rd party once his Democrat dalliance comes to an end.

Chances are indeed slim, could simply a communication error with allthe noise/distortion, for what is (probably) the the best USP of any politician in history. Thus the message isn't getting delivered and processed (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

After the first debate

pQWadvv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Having watched the US Sunday shows for a while it’s clear that any candidate for president can say the biggest load of ****e ever in an interview and once they say “the American people” at some point it seems to make it okay.

Possibly a better reflection, than polls of a couple of thousand folks, is the real-world money markets for the DemNom 1 July:
    Biden beaten back to 3rd place after 1st debate, where Harris faired the best.

Pc4dJ9g.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

is_that_so wrote: »
    For lefties sure but they can't see past their noses on some points. Way too early to be making calls as this is just the initial clearout phase of the useless. There are also far too many on the left for now. If the Dems bow to the left and choose someone who "represents their values" they'd better be sure it's someone Americans will vote for in large enough numbers. The old white guys may be horses for courses but they may also be the answer for 2020. The real nightmare for the Dems is Trump beating their best choice and having Pence looking very Presidential in five years time!

Who is their best choice though? Biden?

How popular is he with gop voters that might float?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

[quotes from the question for your 1="ILoveYourVibes;110573616"]Who is their best choice though? Biden?

How popular is he with gop voters that might float?[/quote]
    [quotes from the question for your 1="ILoveYourVibes;110573616"]Who is their best choice though? Biden?

[/quote]

People are saying the attack about bussing was a big win for Harris and maybe it was for her personally.
    But Biden who I am not a fan of and he has major flaws but the optics of the bussing thing to lower middle class voters are surely bad.
    Imagine how well it would be received in Ireland if a TD landed out to say Raheny and told voters there, sorry about it but because of our policies your kids can't go to school in the standard lower middle class area you live in they will have to get the bus to darndale and sherrif street, I know they might do much worse but on average its the right thing to do.
    Basically this progressiveness might be written up well but isn't that an issue that directly impacts a part of their base that swung to trump in 2016 in a negative way that's obvious in a wah other policies are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

https://twitter.com/TheNewThinkerr/status/1144431877115305984

Amusing and true.

Its a weakness for Harris, but I doubt anyone in these identity politics era would dare bring it up bar possibly Bookier and maybe Warren.

On the Harris v Biden issue....its hard to know will it matter,,,Biden's base is not online whatsoever,,,its older and they have been with Biden for a long time. More blows will need to be landed I think.

I just don't really get it... what do people expect that a black DA or AG wouldn't prosecute black people just because they're black? Her policy on prosecuting on third-strike crimes was very fair to people particularly in the minority community.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Trump probably won't do the debates, why would he? He's been throwing numerous conventions out the window before and after becoming President.

He has quite a bit to lose and more or less nothing to gain by trying to debate whoever the Dem contender is, so every possibility he just won't do them.

He won 2016 on foot of his debate "performances" (I mean that literally). I don't think he has the self-awareness to park his ego this time around and not put on a show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Donald Trump will not pass over the chance to be on TV. His penchant for terrible nicknames "or 'nancy', as I like to call her" (Nancy Pilosi) shows he fancies himself as the grand wit and showman, he'll be there. Whether he accepts a losing result is another matter.

That poll showing the needle barely moving from Biden is dispiriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I just don't really get it... what do people expect that a black DA or AG wouldn't prosecute black people just because they're black? Her policy on prosecuting on third-strike crimes was very fair to people particularly in the minority community.

https://twitter.com/QueerXiChisme/status/1145454315135361024

For the online really left wing people to put it simply Kamala is a cop. An issue there touched upon there and many left wing outlets recently is how Harris was the driving force behind Sesta a law which has been a disaster for sex workers. People should hammer her over it, but they must also remember everyone in the senate except 2 people Rand Paul and some nobody dem supported it.

TBH and its a shame for sex workers the dem positions on sex work wont matter a jot with the voters.

So is that woke base really representative of the majority of dems and voters in general despite been loud online? I suspect not.

They will find flaws in pretty much everyone on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

They will find flaws in pretty much everyone on stage.

If anything is going to kill the Democrat candidate this year, it won't be anything Trump or the republicans manage (unless their failure to secure the elections from interference, and their efforts at gerrymandering, pay off). It will be this.

With so many Democratic candidates, there's a chance that they'll tear themselves apart if 'their guy/girl' isn't the presidential candidate. This "Harris is a cop and is therefore bad" is just a symptom of the wider issue. I can think of extremely few politicians with clean slates worldwide, never mind in the US, and most of what's viewed as the dirty side of politics is the type of thing Democrat supporters despise.

If it's Harris, they'll hate her because she was a cop. Warren they'll hate because she's been involved with big corporations (or because of that Native American mess, however silly that is). Biden is old and out of touch. So on, so forth.

I'd not be at all surprised if Democrats took themselves out of the running before the Republicans do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'm very confident that Trump loses in 2020, but the only fear for me is the dreaded purity tests that the left love takes out pretty much everyone.

If you were to stick 100 self described lefties in a room and asked them to discuss immigration, taxes, lgbt issues, guns,abortion, minimum wage, reparations, drug and sex work legislation, chances are they would be plenty of disagreements.

However the so called pure Dems have to realise that issues they may feel that people are weak on Trump is much worse on. Sex work,,,trans issues? Do you really think Trump or Pence are anymore liberal on this than Harris etc?

The right win because their voters hold there noses up when they vote, time for the left to do the same in 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Republicans have been funding Marianne Williamson to keep her in the debates, all in good humor of course

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/06/28/democratic-debate-2019-republicans-urge-giving-marianne-williamson/1598726001/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who is their best choice though? Biden?

I think it will be one out of 4-5 possibilities. Biden ticks some boxes electorally, a lot of black and blue collar support. Outside of the bubble of extreme Dem PC he may prove to be quite popular. Harris looks to have something but I think Warren might be a better option. Bernie, of course, will also be there and it's whoever comes out of the pack. Get the right candidate for this election and they can worry about all that vision stuff once they get the WH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I'm very confident that Trump loses in 2020, but the only fear for me is the dreaded purity tests that the left love takes out pretty much everyone.

If you were to stick 100 self described lefties in a room and asked them to discuss immigration, taxes, lgbt issues, guns,abortion, minimum wage, reparations, drug and sex work legislation, chances are they would be plenty of disagreements.

However the so called pure Dems have to realise that issues they may feel that people are weak on Trump is much worse on. Sex work,,,trans issues? Do you really think Trump or Pence are anymore liberal on this than Harris etc?

The right win because their voters hold there noses up when they vote, time for the left to do the same in 2020.

I think this is completely off base. It's honestly good imo for the politicians on the left not to be so worried about appearing moderate for once. Typically a republican candidate can say whatever off the wall idea comes to mind and no one bats an eyelid. Herman Cain's 999 tax plan comes to mind.

Instead on the left, people get way too caught up in whether the policy ideas proposed by candidates are too "extreme". There's 17 months to go to the election! It's good to have these types of discussions now.

FWIW, CNNs own poll finds Biden dropped by 10 points, the top 4 now reading Biden on 22, Harris at 17, Warren 15 and Sanders 14 (the rest floating at 5 or below, wonder when we can expect the first dropouts?).

Harris and Warren clearly have early doors momentum and can only see Bidens lead drop further. The attacks against Harris suggest she's the early bolter. Sanders lagging in 4th is interesting, could be a blip but perhaps has lost some of that "outsider" shine from 2016...

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/07/01/politics/2020-democratic-candidates-poll/index.html

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sanders lagging in 4th is interesting, could be a blip but perhaps has lost some of that "outsider" shine from 2016...

He's still hated by many for having the audacity of going up against Clinton in 2016 and saying some bad things about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bernie is still weak among white voters and older voters. He has more competition this time around and two maybe three that are on progressive side. It's also hard to replicate that 'cool' feeling second time... look at Ron Paul.

Another poll post debate https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/451215-harris-surges-past-warren-to-claim-third-place-in-post-debate-poll

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Willie Brown stuff will ensure Harris doesn't get the nomination. Like being in a relationship with a married man is bad enough but sleeping with a corrupt politician 30 years older than you and getting political favours for it is really bad.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Willie Brown stuff will ensure Harris doesn't get the nomination. Like being in a relationship with a married man is bad enough but sleeping with a corrupt politician 30 years older than you and getting political favours for it is really bad.

Can we just agree here and now that given how the 2016 cycle went, we really, REALLY can't say definitively what scandal might explode a candidate's campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Very true! Some people like to put Trump in a separate bucket and hold everyone else to "normal" standards.
    Doesn't work that way anymore, Trump has broken the system.
    A good example is the Virginnia governor not resigning.
    Northam would definitely have resigned pre Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pixelburp wrote:
    Can we just agree here and now that given how the 2016 cycle went, we really, REALLY can't say definitively what scandal might explode a candidate's campaign?
    No, Trump has been at it his whole life in the public eye.
    Look at what happened the other night. Harris went after Biden and the results of that were really bad for Biden.
    Most people are held to a higher standard than Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

vetinari wrote: »
    Very true! Some people like to put Trump in a separate bucket and hold everyone else to "normal" standards.
    Doesn't work that way anymore, Trump has broken the system.
    A good example is the Virginnia governor not resigning.
    Northam would definitely have resigned pre Trump.
    Trump has tilted the system slightly; Trump is still very much in a category of his own. The fact the two sides (Reps and Dems) also set different standards for their leaders (i.e. the religious right "Anything Trump does can be forgiven because he's anti abortion laws we want") to further muddle the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I think Bernie sinks this time for the following reasons:
    -His policy positions have been co-opted by others that are running against him.
    -He lacks policy details and all is huff.
    -He was really old the last time, and even more older today when fresh faces are desired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement