Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,846 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pixelburp wrote:
    Can't you say that about ALL politicians and debates though? Of course she rehearsed and had pre-written responses - they all do. Heck we do the same for our own speeches, interviews and so on. Trump being the obvious exception to the rule here (and continues to be), but saying a politician had rehearsed a debate seems a little ... disingenuous? I mean I think I get what you might mean, that perhaps the good politician can make it seem like they're speaking off the cuff, but we all know that's ultimately not true.
    I've already said who I thought did well last night.
    Harris to me came across as cold, rehearsed and appeared to enjoy going after Biden too much. She didn't come across like she cared about the bussing issue, all seemed fake and staged.
    I mean she was easy to see through, I'd imagine lots of viewers could see that. I think Warren has a chance but not Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wasn't a fan of how feted Harris and Booker were, similarly with O'Rourke. They've done very little to warrant the attention they received, bar having a different skin tone. In contrast to Sanders and Warren, who've actually done something and had consistent stance on issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Harris knocked it out the park.
    She was able to command the room, was calm, clear and spoke with authority and that's what people look for in a President.

She was one of those kids getting bussed to a school back then, so confronting Biden on his racism was right on the money.

BluePlanet wrote:
    Harris knocked it out the park. She was able to command the room, was calm, clear and spoke with authority and that's what people look for in a President.
    She was one of those kids getting bussed to a school back then, so confronting Biden on his racism was right on the money.
    As I said it all looked staged and she was enjoying it too much so it's hard to believe she actually cares. Came across as very cold.
    If I was to liken her to another politician the closest match imo would be Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Harris, on view of what happened last night, will eviscerate Trump in debates and make him look like the weakling he really is to the portion of his base who only really respect him because he's a bully. Trump will be wanting anyone but Harris after last night.

Trump probably won't do the debates, why would he? He's been throwing numerous conventions out the window before and after becoming President.

He has quite a bit to lose and more or less nothing to gain by trying to debate whoever the Dem contender is, so every possibility he just won't do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BluePlanet wrote: »
    She was able to command the room, was calm, clear and spoke with authority and that's what people look for in a President.

But will she be able to beat Trump? That's the challenge for the Dems, not to be wowed by debate performances 18 months before the General and 12 months before they pick their own candidate. Look at Beto, pretty much gone now.

Trump probably won't do the debates, why would he? He's been throwing numerous conventions out the window before and after becoming President.

He has quite a bit to lose and more or less nothing to gain by trying to debate whoever the Dem contender is, so every possibility he just won't do them.
    He'll probably have to do at least one otherwise the Dems will goad him and annoy him. TV networks will expect it and he could always do it in Fox.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

is_that_so wrote: »
    He'll probably have to do at least one otherwise the Dems will goad him and annoy him. TV networks will expect it and he could always do it in Fox.:D

They're going to be doing that anyway and his style is to ignore them except when Twittering his fool head off. He doesn't give a ****e about the TV networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Harris is sitting on between 5-10% of black vote while Biden is on 50%. This might be very smart tactic by Harris or it might also backfire. It's going to be very tough to attack Biden on race issue when he spent 8 years working under Obama.

As someone linked earlier, Harris convicted large percentage of black males while prosecutor, something that Bidens black supporters are already letting folks know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Yang can feel a little hard done by with the lack of questions going his way, seemingly he had by far the least time of all 20 candidates including complete non-entities like Delaney. I imagine his supporters have the least loyalty to the Democratic Party so it seems silly to give them something to have a grievance about.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Harris is sitting on between 5-10% of black vote while Biden is on 50%. This might be very smart tactic by Harris or it might also backfire. It's going to be very tough to attack Biden on race issue when he spent 8 years working under Obama.

As someone linked earlier, Harris convicted large percentage of black males while prosecutor, something that Bidens black supporters are already letting folks know about.

Yes i know, it's something she'll have to respond to during the debates.
    Thing is, she's a woman of colour and she has progressive policies that people are rooting for, whereas Biden is burdened by being an old white man that comes from privilege and has only 'let's not change too much and maintain the Status Quo' as his policy - these will only hurt voter turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yang can feel a little hard done by with the lack of questions going his way, seemingly he had by far the least time of all 20 candidates including complete non-entities like Delaney. I imagine his supporters have the least loyalty to the Democratic Party so it seems silly to give them something to have a grievance about.

Yang complaining about his mic been off, I believe him as does not strike me as a type of guy to moan for sake of it.

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1144551813582135296

Mic being off unless called upon?
    Ouch.

Likely DNC stacking the deck (again).
    Gotta love how they put Beto in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Rjd2 wrote: »

Yang complaining about his mic been off, I believe him as does not strike me as a type of guy to moan for sake of it.

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1144551813582135296

This is the kind of stuff I mean, and reading through the responses on Twitter, his supporters are somewhat justifiably feeling hard done by. Everyone knows Yang won't win, himself included I'd expect, but they should at least try and avoid alienating his supporters in what could be another tight election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Mic being off unless called upon?
    Ouch.

Likely DNC stacking the deck (again).
    Gotta love how they put Beto in the centre.

They were hoping he got a few more brain cells by osmosis.... god help us he is not the brightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

NSAman wrote: »
    They were hoping he got a few more brain cells by osmosis.... god help us he is not the brightest.

He can speak in Spanish tho...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

He can speak in Spanish tho...:rolleyes:

So can my 5 year old.;)

This is the kind of stuff I mean, and reading through the responses on Twitter, his supporters are somewhat justifiably feeling hard done by. Everyone knows Yang won't win, himself included I'd expect, but they should at least try and avoid alienating his supporters in what could be another tight election.
    One would imagine "his" supporters will be Dem supporters when the time comes and not inclined to sulk and sit out the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

The whole Democratic field looks disappointing. It's a mix of centrists, people the Democrat establishment don't want, pseudo-left-wingers and identitarians. Kamala Harris is very passionate, but I could see her as being polarising, too.

I still say that someone like Jesse Ventura should have gotten on there. Not necessarily Ventura himself, but someone who's a wildcard, someone who's not seen as being part of the machine, someone who can talk directly to the people and generate that grassroots support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

briany wrote: »
    The whole Democratic field looks disappointing. It's a mix of centrists, people the Democrat establishment don't want, pseudo-left-wingers and identitarians. Kamala Harris is very passionate, but I could see her as being polarising, too.

I still say that someone like Jesse Ventura should have gotten on there. Not necessarily Ventura himself, but someone who's a wildcard, someone who's not seen as being part of the machine, someone who can talk directly to the people and generate that grassroots support.

Is there really going to be an appetite for ANOTHER wildcard, non-establishment candidate though? Trump was that wild swing, a real estate tycoon who packaged himself as the "drain the swamp" herald and made a point of glad handing the disgruntled grassroots. There seem to be a lot out there with Voters Remorse. It'd want to be the absolute antithesis of Trump, but given the requirement of money in US politics I don't know who that could be...

• Advertisement

briany wrote:
    I keep saying Martin Heinrich should be there. The guy has the intelligence, he is a hard worker and the job he did on Sessions was what marked him as a great candidate for me. There is no doubt he could handle Trump.
    Unfortunately as the Junior senator for New Mexico he will always get overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is there really going to be an appetite for ANOTHER wildcard, non-establishment candidate though? Trump was that wild swing, a real estate tycoon who packaged himself as the "drain the swamp" herald and made a point of glad handing the disgruntled grassroots. There seem to be a lot out there with Voters Remorse. It'd want to be the absolute antithesis of Trump, but given the requirement of money in US politics I don't know who that could be...

There'll always be an appetite for a politician who wants to 'take on' Washington, but people in the U.S. recognise that 99 percent of the people who say they want to do this, never do either because they're simply unable, or because they didn't really want to. Faith in the normal system has ebbed away and it now feels like the only chance is for someone to gatecrash the thing and not play by everyone else's rules, just as Trump did, but with hopefully more of a positive message.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sorry if there is a thread I could not find it.

Did you guys catch it??

Biden ruined his career.

Kamala Harris mentioned she was bused to school on the program he was against and that he defended a segregationist.

Marianne Williamson was the most searched politician online after the debate though.

Her tweets have gone viral since.

eagle eye wrote: »
    She came across like everything was rehearsed too.

I noticed that too.

Not that it's a bad thing. But i thought 'she's rehearsed almost everything she has said'.

I still think she has a very fair chance though.

And i think she would be a good candidate.

Biden is done though. Too much baggage.

Marianne Williamson was the most searched candidate on google after the debate.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/450828-marianne-williamson-most-searched-on-google-for-night-two-of

All of her tweets have gone viral since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Rjd2 wrote: »

It seems the "YangGang" believe in a much wider conspiracy against him executed by MSNBC outlined here.

Evidence he was muted.

Speaking minutes.
    D-KJPKbXUAEmctm.png

#Questions asked(average of two debates)
    D-J8_zQX4AESgJW.jpg

During the Poor People’s Campaign Forum, MSNBC spoke over Yang’s appearance.
    https://twitter.com/scottsantens/status/1144635584427827200

Here’s an MSNBC graphic from earlier this week where Yang’s picture was missing and some candidates who didn’t qualify for the debates were included:
    display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fs39ud3sovw531.png
    D9_NSqHWwAEFiWk?format=jpg&name=small
    D4r2ljWXsAEtBOp.jpg

If there is indeed a greater conspiracy by MSNBC here as the "YangGang" suggest, why is it? Is it for the same reason DNC obstructed Sander's candidacy because of his U.B.I.? (watching MSNBC I doubt this)

Or because they seem him as not a career politician, a businessman, something akin to Trump that they can't control?

Or something else? Or no conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Trump evens for 2nd term on PP, I've put everthing I own on it, better than any pension scheme.

Kimsang wrote: »
    It seems the "YangGang" believe in a much wider conspiracy against him executed by MSNBC outlined here.

Evidence he was muted.

Speaking minutes.
    D-KJPKbXUAEmctm.png
    #Questions asked(average of two debates)
    D-J8_zQX4AESgJW.jpg
    During the Poor People’s Campaign Forum, MSNBC spoke over Yang’s appearance.
    Here’s an MSNBC graphic from earlier this week where Yang’s picture was missing and some candidates who didn’t qualify for the debates were included:
    display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fs39ud3sovw531.png
    D9_NSqHWwAEFiWk?format=jpg&name=small
    D4r2ljWXsAEtBOp.jpg

If there is indeed a greater conspiracy by MSNBC here as the "YangGang" suggest, why is it? Is it for the same reason DNC obstructed Sander's candidacy because of his U.B.I.? (watching MSNBC I doubt this)

Or because they seem him as not a career politician, a businessman, something akin to Trump that they can't control?

Or something else? Or no conspiracy?

NBC denies it ..who knows though.

Trump evens for 2nd term on PP, I've put everthing I own on it, better than any pension scheme.

I would say he has a decent chance too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Easiest money you'll ever make. I got him at 2/1 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement