Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed issues

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Talula_d wrote: »
    Here is the latest.

Horrible connection!

They've got to test that line asap next week to check if theres an issue in your gaff or between you and the local cabinet. However, the issue may be further into their network. The physical connection from you to the exchange it may be fine from a DSL perspective, but some problem may have arisen between that exchange and Sky's internal routing to get to "the internet"-

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Horrible connection!

They've got to test that line asap next week to check if theres an issue in your gaff or between you and the local cabinet. However, the issue may be further into their network. The physical connection from you to the exchange it may be fine from a DSL perspective, but some problem may have arisen between that exchange and Sky's internal routing to get to "the internet"-

What should a normal connection look like? I doubt they will do anything until they send out this cable and run tests first!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Horrible connection!

There is no Sky internal routing. Actually, the is no Sky. Well, apart from sales...

Sky have no broadband network.

They outsource it to BT Ireland. Sky under-spend on capacity. Your graph shows latency going up at peak. How do you think they are so cheap? By being cheap.

I would think that the only way for Sky to fix this would be to:

1) buy more capacity from their provider (BT)
    2) fire half of the customers in your area

If this situation continues when you are cabled, it's pretty much confirmed.

Maybe you could move to another provider that does both copper phone line broadband and SIRO? Negotiate with them to start on copper and move to SIRO when it is ready.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    There is no Sky internal routing. Actually, the is no Sky. Well, apart from sales...

Sky have no broadband network.

They outsource it to BT Ireland. Sky under-spend on capacity. Your graph shows latency going up at peak. How do you think they are so cheap? By being cheap.

I would think that the only way for Sky to fix this would be to:

1) buy more capacity from their provider (BT)
    2) fire half of the customers in your area

If this situation continues when you are cabled, it's pretty much confirmed.

Maybe you could move to another provider that does both copper phone line broadband and SIRO? Negotiate with them to start on copper and move to SIRO when it is ready.

Ok so you think either way its a problem with Sky and not here?
    Spoke with one of my neighbours this evening who also has sky broadband and she also has the sameproblems with her connection. Would this mean its something in the area or that too many are using it?

This is a screenshot of the monitor today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Ok so you think either way its a problem with Sky and not here?
    Spoke with one of my neighbours this evening who also has sky broadband and she also has the sameproblems with her connection. Would this mean its something in the area or that too many are using it?

Yeah, I reckon Sky have oversold it. Ask a neighbour with Vodafone or Eir, to compare.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon Sky have oversold it. Ask a neighbour with Vodafone or Eir, to compare.

OPs service was fine until last week.

My money is on a fault. It needs a tech assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

YOUR

LINE

STATS

This is it

Yep. Line is fine, no fault.

Either:
    A) You've got a VPN of some sort installed (unlikely with multiple devices)
    B) BT have horrendous congestion

The BQM supports congestion. You can raise it with them but macro issues like that are rarely fixed upon a user complaint. Change provider.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Yep. Line is fine, no fault.

Either:
    A) You've got a VPN of some sort installed (unlikely with multiple devices)
    B) BT have horrendous congestion

The BQM supports congestion. You can raise it with them but macro issues like that are rarely fixed upon a user complaint. Change provider.

Theyres definitely congestion. However, unless another customer is online and flooding the links 24/7, AND only started doing so last week, my money is still on a fault having occurred in the system from the cabinet or exchange back into the the Sky (BT provided per another poster) infrastructure. The packet loss and high latency being reported by the BQM shows it as happening more or less all the time between 2 and 6 ish %.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

Theyres definitely congestion. However, unless another customer is online and flooding the links 24/7, AND only started doing so last week, my money is still on a fault having occurred in the system from the cabinet or exchange back into the the Sky (BT provided per another poster) infrastructure. The packet loss and high latency being reported by the BQM shows it as happening more or less all the time between 2 and 6 ish %.

Look at the talk to forum, huge flood of speed complaints.

If theres a fault its on their core/peering to the public net - aka something that should be fixed within hours. 97 is correct, this is probably them being cheaper than the stingiest Cavan man.

Busy week havent had time to contact sky yet, planning on it today, as we are now getting speedtests of 8mbps ++ but the internet is still unusable!
    I attached screenshots of the monitor from tuesday to today, what do you guys think now before i contact sky?

Send guy support those graphs then have loyalty cancel your contract so you can move.

Busy week havent had time to contact sky yet, planning on it today, as we are now getting speedtests of 8mbps ++ but the internet is still unusable!
    I attached screenshots of the monitor from tuesday to today, what do you guys think now before i contact sky?

Just ensure that youre still reportingon your own external IP. Some providers change the IP every 48 hours.

Just ensure that youre still reportingon your own external IP. Some providers change the IP every 48 hours.

Its the same IP the last week anyway

Send a detailed complaint to tech support by email, with the BQM graphs for each 24 hour period attached. Youll need a record of your dealings with them if you need to escalate things later. On the phone, tech support will be running you through time-wasting hoops following their basic fault-finding protocol as though youre a moron. If they escalate you up the tech support chain and you get a named engineer to deal meaningfully with your issue, the phone-based interaction will hopefully become more meaningful and useful.

Send a detailed complaint to tech support by email, with the BQM graphs for each 24 hour period attached. Youll need a record of your dealings with them if you need to escalate things later. On the phone, tech support will be running you through time-wasting hoops following their basic fault-finding protocol as though youre a moron. If they escalate you up the tech support chain and you get a named engineer to deal meaningfully with your issue, the phone-based interaction will hopefully become more meaningful and useful.

Thanks ill get on to them today and see how I go. If i change provider am I likely to have the same problems?

Sky have said they wont accept the monitor readings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks ill get on to them today and see how I go. If i change provider am I likely to have the same problems?

If it's upstream issues .. like what it looks like .. it'll be completely different with other providers.

Depends on the provider and how well they are connected.

Vodafone has similar issues as Sky with being oversubscribed. But there are quite a few to choose from, that don't take the piss.

/M

• Advertisement

What? They won't accept evidence of an absolutely appalling service? They're having a laugh! get a clear statement of the issues on the record ASAP and seek a refund of all BB charges since this started 2 weeks ago now, as well as an immediate removal of any penalties that might attach to contract cancellation. That will at least clear the way for you to make decisions as to next steps yourself.

As youre still on copper lines and limited to ADSL, your're probably looking at Eir as your next best option. That's not to say you won't hit significant contention issues with Eir as well, but you oughtn't experience such horrendous packet loss that your recent graphs show.

Is there any work being done on youre local cabinet to bring Fibre to ye in yeer area at all? Or are there any other options beyond using Eir infrastructure that others are finding OK?

What? They won't accept evidence of an absolutely appalling service? They're having a laugh! get a clear statement of the issues on the record ASAP and seek a refund of all BB charges since this started 2 weeks ago now, as well as an immediate removal of any penalties that might attach to contract cancellation. That will at least clear the way for you to make decisions as to next steps yourself.

As youre still on copper lines and limited to ADSL, your're probably looking at Eir as your next best option. That's not to say you won't hit significant contention issues with Eir as well, but you oughtn't experience such horrendous packet loss that your recent graphs show.

Is there any work being done on youre local cabinet to bring Fibre to ye in yeer area at all? Or are there any other options beyond using Eir infrastructure that others are finding OK?

They are now saying it is an issue with my router, and are sending me a new one.

"As far as I am aware Sky would need to try and resolve the issue before we explore the option of cancelling the line the contract. I do not deal with cancellations directly, the messaging service is only technical support. If you would like to get information on that however you can contact the cancellations team directly on 0818719819"

"Ok no problem the router should get you back to normal. It also might be worth your while to discuss upgrading your broadband to the better speed as well. There is fibre available but you are better off getting the fault resolved first before making changes to the line as they can make the issue worse."

These are their replies to me asking for my contract to be waived in order to cancel if the router doesnt fix the problem.

Advertisement