Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed issues

Options
  • 21-07-2018 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have sky broadband and my speeds are varying hugely through the day. I have already been on to Sky who are sending me out an ethernet cable to run tests as I cant find my own.
    Is there anything I can try in the mean time? This has only started happening the last few days and nothing in the house has changed.
    Ive done all the plugging in and out and reseting etc.

Morning speeds are between 9.10 and 10.2

Daytime/Evening are between 0.96 and 1.67

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Register and set up a quality monitor on your BB link on this site which is free to use:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/06b89dffb48588d4b56c5db9c97c0bae

Run the monitor for a few days and youll get a lot of information that will help you to solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Register and set up a quality monitor on your BB link on this site which is free to use:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/06b89dffb48588d4b56c5db9c97c0bae

Run the monitor for a few days and youll get a lot of information that will help you to solve this.

Thanks, ill give it a go, its already gone from 9.10 to 2.85 in the last hour, seem to be only getting normal speeds around 7am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Most broadband is contended so in the evening when everyone gets home from work the number of users goes up so each users bandwidth goes down.

thegills wrote: »
    Most broadband is contended so in the evening when everyone gets home from work the number of users goes up so each users bandwidth goes down.

I totally understand that but do you not think the loss of speeds im only experiencing the last few days is strange? Its a big jump in speed from 7am and 9am.

Screenshot of speeds

• Advertisement

What devices are you using in the house?

What devices are you using in the house?

This morning all that is being used is my phone.

Talula_d wrote: »
    This morning all that is being used is my phone.

Is there anything else switched on and connected, even if no-one is physically using it?

Is there anything else switched on and connected, even if no-one is physically using it?

The sky boxes are, however neither are in use at the moment.

The sky boxes are, however neither are in use at the moment.

Can you switch them off?

• Advertisement

Can you switch them off?

Yeah i can ill do that now

Yeah i can ill do that now

Run a few more speedtests and compare results to earlier.

Run a few more speedtests and compare results to earlier.

Between 1.51 and 2.00 since turning them off

Between 1.51 and 2.00 since turning them off

Ok. Can you switch you phone's wifi off and use another device to run another speedtest?

Ok. Can you switch you phone's wifi off and use another device to run another speedtest?

Ill try the laptop in a few mins and see what that speed test is like

Ill try the laptop in a few mins and see what that speed test is like

Tried all the below with wifi turned off on other devices at time of speedtest

1. Ipad - 0.39mbps
    2. Samsung Tablet - 0.24 mbps
    3. Laptop - 0.23 mbps

Well, youve now established that your problem appears to be down to the connection including the router. Youll need to get that network cable and test with a direct connection from the laptop to the router to confirm.

In the meantime, if you set up that Broadband Quality Monitor, itll help a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

Well, youve now established that your problem appears to be down to the connection including the router. Youll need to get that network cable and test with a direct connection from the laptop to the router to confirm.

In the meantime, if you set up that Broadband Quality Monitor, itll help a lot more.

Thanks for your help! Hopefully this will be resolved soon!

RHJ wrote: »
    Your not alone OP I'm also a Sky broadband customer and my speeds have also dropped was getting a steady 12mb now down to roughly <0.5 Eir sent a technician to check my line and according to them everything came back clear.

Thanks Tom I'll check out that site if the speed is still terrible by the time I'm home on Monday.

Your joking! Is it only a recent thing for you? What do they suggest for you to do now that the technician hasnt found the problem?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Don't be posting your IP address

Re posting without IP address! New baby in this house which means i have very little brain function at the minute!!!

Re posting without IP address! New baby in this house which means i have very little brain function at the minute!!!

OK. There's a problem on your connectivity from the internet to the router. Your Packet loss is going to cause a lot of latency and re-transmit issues. Assuming that you are on a copper line to you exchange, you need to report this to Sky so that they can schedule a technician to test ythe line for faults and/or interference.

Check the Router connection cable to the wall-box to make sure the connection is plugged in ok.
    Has any physical work been done on poles in your area recently?
    Do you have any extensions for landline phone in the house?

Do the same thing as Talula did- set up a Broadband Quality Monitoring session on your link to check for average latency and any packet loss.

I see that the two of ye are in the North Western part of the country (Mayo and Sligo/Letterkenny). I wonder are ye both being shunted via Eir lines to a common exchange for onward to Sky? �� :eek:

Are ye both ADSL?

Well, when you do get results from a Broadband Quality Monitor, hopefully you'll be better able to understand whats going on. Being on a 12meg D/L speed leaves such tiny scope for being able to recover from problems.. The upload element is also very important and if that is degraded, it may also adversely affect D/L.

Im sure you can't wait for a SIRO service availability...

Im now in kildare, never changed my location!
    No work has been done in my area that im aware of, amd have no extensions for landline either.
    Im ADSL too, was told our line can carry 12mb, so should get around 10mb wireless. Speeds tonight 0.75 download 0.72 upload.

Im now in kildare, never changed my location!
    No work has been done in my area that im aware of, amd have no extensions for landline either.
    Im ADSL too, was told our line can carry 12mb, so should get around 10mb wireless. Speeds tonight 0.75 download 0.72 upload.

Have you got your latest BQM result? (IP address removed of course )

• Advertisement

Here is the latest.

Advertisement