Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldesters - What are you wearing?

Options
  • 20-07-2018 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Most older people especially males seem to dress in dowdy and boring clothes. Personally, I always dress young, even though I am a male in my 60s. I wear skinny jeans, denim jackets and leather biker jackets in the colder months. I would not be seen dead in suit and tie and baggy shapeless pants. What do you guys thinks and what do you wear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't know how to describe my style of clothing. It varies by the season and what's in the shops. Certainly never a suit, shirt and tie, except perhaps a wedding or funeral. That said I'd never wear a demi jacket or biker jacket - evening my youth. Light summer trousers and T-shirts or short sleeved shirts at present. Jeans, jumpers, and an occasional sports coat type jackets have a place in the wardrobe along with fleeces and an odd overcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

I've been wearing shorts for the last two months. I find the older I get the less I care about what anyone thinks about my clothes. I wear what I feel comfortable in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
    And I shall spend my pension
    on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals,
    and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
    And run my stick along the public railings,
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
    And learn to spit.
    You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
    Or only bread and pickle for a week,
    And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
    and things in boxes.
    But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
    And set a good example for the children.
    We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
    So people who know me
    are not too shocked and surprised,
    When suddenly I am old
    and start to wear purple! "

Jenny Joseph

Suits, shirts and ties worn out of choice rather than requirement. Thats how I rock. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Right on OG, love that, and have started (metaphorically) 'wearing purple'. I wear purple anyway. Sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cavu

I prefer the shape and fit of bootcut wranglers on men.

Cannot wait for skinny jeans to go out of style, never liked them on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Embossy

finla wrote: »
    I've been wearing shorts for the last two months. I find the older I get the less I care about what anyone thinks about my clothes. I wear what I feel comfortable in!

Good for you! Likewise, as I get older, I don't give a damn about what people think about the clothes that I wear. I wear what I like and if people don't approve, how cares!

cavu wrote: »
    I prefer the shape and fit of bootcut wranglers on men.

Cannot wait for skinny jeans to go out of style, never liked them on anyone.

Must disagree! I just love wearing skinny jeans as they are comfortable, practical and suitable for cycling and riding etc.

Embossy wrote: »
    Must disagree! I just love wearing skinny jeans as they are comfortable, practical and suitable for cycling and riding etc.

If it makes you happy, so be it. :)

It would not be my preference and personally think a skinny jean looks rather effeminate on men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I parked in the supermarket carpark today. A chap got out of his car, tall, lean, blonde hair, shades, beard, skinny jeans. Looked great! If you want to wear them, wear them. But only if you look like him. He was a dreamboat! If only I was 40 years younger! Sigh, have I reached my dotage at last?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have a look I call "sports-casual"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Long . graceful, flowing, that covers many facets I would prefer not to be visible..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

But seriously, 99% jeans and T-shirt and some comfy runners. And nerdy t-shirts at that. Star trek, marvel, star wars, DC and so on.
    In the summer 3/4 length shorts and short sleeved shirts. Lucky to have an easygoing employer. You need it at 30 degrees.
    Sandals and flip-flops whenever I can get away with them.
    In the winter add a ski jacket and a fleece. You'll need it at -20.
    And I'd feel naked without my mjölnir necklace, Seiko and the 2 rings, the stainless steel engagement ring and my silver claddagh wedding ring. Don't like gold jewellery.
    I'm 48 and you wouldn't catch me dead in a suit. Literally. I will stipulate in my will not to be buried or cremated in one.
    I have worn a tie four times in the last 10 years, three job interviews and one funeral.
    I will never wear one again if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm wearing purple already anyway. Also red and black, and lace. I like feminine, skirts and dresses, with a bit of movement and flow. Often a hat, too.
    Absolutely can't stand that old-dear-y look with short hair, long tee-shirt and three-quarter length pants.
    Each to their own, of course, but I wouldn't even be buried in such an androgynous rig.

But seriously, 99% jeans and T-shirt and some comfy runners. And nerdy t-shirts at that. Star trek, marvel, star wars, DC and so on.
    In the summer 3/4 length shorts and short sleeved shirts. Lucky to have an easygoing employer. You need it at 30 degrees.
    Sandals and flip-flops whenever I can get away with them.
    In the winter add a ski jacket and a fleece. You'll need it at -20.
    And I'd feel naked without my mjölnir necklace, Seiko and the 2 rings, the stainless steel engagement ring and my silver claddagh wedding ring. Don't like gold jewellery.
    I'm 48 and you wouldn't catch me dead in a suit. Literally. I will stipulate in my will not to be buried or cremated in one.
    I have worn a tie four times in the last 10 years, three job interviews and one funeral.
    I will never wear one again if I can help it.

Good for you! I like your style! Likewise, I would not be seen dead in a suit.

If it makes you happy, so be it. :)

It would not be my preference and personally think a skinny jean looks rather effeminate on men.

As regards skinny jeans being ' effeminate ', back in the 50s, when young men discovered fashion and rebelled against the drab colourless dress style of their fathers, drainpipe trousers were a trend of that time. Today's male skinny jeans wearers are simply continuing on that tradition of non-conformity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As regards skinny jeans being ' effeminate ', back in the 50s, when young men discovered fashion and rebelled against the drab colourless dress style of their fathers, drainpipe trousers were a trend of that time. Today's male skinny jeans wearers are simply continuing on that tradition of non-conformity.
    You consider jeans to be 'non-conforming'? Jeans and tee-shirts are uniform and trying to find something other then jeans and tees, particularly for men, ranges from difficult to nigh on impossible. Skinny, bootcut, bellbottoms, highwaist, parallels or whatever other cut/design of jean are simply variations of a pair of work-trousers. You might as well be wearing a boiler-suit.
    Each to their own of course but don't mistake jeans as being anti-establishment.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    You consider jeans to be 'non-conforming'? Jeans and tee-shirts are uniform and trying to find something other then jeans and tees, particularly for men, ranges from difficult to nigh on impossible. Skinny, bootcut, bellbottoms, highwaist, parallels or whatever other cut/design of jean are simply variations of a pair of work-trousers. You might as well be wearing a boiler-suit.
    Each to their own of course but don't mistake jeans as being anti-establishment.

Jeans are the ultimate uniform, EVERYONE wears them.
    How to look exactly the same as everyone else: wear jeans.

Now, a kilt, for gentlemen...ooh yeah.
    Very comfortable, very handsome, and very non-conformist. What's not to love??

Oh dear. Ohdearohdear. Ohdearohdearohdear! A KILT!?? Ohdear. :eek:

OldGoat wrote: »

There was a time when only tough guys wore jeans and denim jackets and the really tough guys wore jeans and leather jackets. I remember a time when jeans were banned from certain places of entertainment. I agree that jeans and tee-shirts are now so widely worn that they have lost their tough guy rebel image, but there was a time when they were considered ' way out ' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There was a time when only tough guys wore jeans and denim jackets and the really tough guys wore jeans and leather jackets. I remember a time when jeans were banned from certain places of entertainment. I agree that jeans and tee-shirts are now so widely worn that they have lost their tough guy rebel image, but there was a time when they were considered ' way out ' .

We must live in different worlds. I'm in my mid 70s and never saw jeans nor denim considered tough guy apparel - except on characters in a few America movies. Certainly they went through a phase of being 'cool' and trendy but that was en route from work clothes to common everyday wear. I'll wear them and couldn't tell you what my preferred leg type is called. They're just practical and hardwearing and suit going for a winter walk or, when past their best, for doing the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

52 year old skinhead here! I still wear Doc Martens and tight jeans, although my jeans are now longer than in my youth when I'd wear them rolled up to the top of my 14-hole Docs (I only wear 8-hole Docs now).

I also wear soccer jerseys most days, which many people consider tacky on an "older gentleman" but I don't care. I work in a job where luckily there is no strict dress code and we don't deal face-to-face with the public, so within reason pretty much anything goes.

I have a Harrington jacket for decent weather and a black pilot jacket for cold weather. I also have a lovely black Crombie overcoat which I wear when the occasion calls for it.

I've dressed like this pretty much all my life since I was a teenager, and I did wonder if I was "mutton dressed as lamb" in my 30s and 40s, but I never really felt comfortable in anything else.

Having said all that, I don't have a problem wearing a suit, shirt and tie when I have to. In fact I quite like it on the rare occasions I do wear a suit.

I hope I'll be dressing in the same style when in my 80s :)

Back in the day, when I was about 16 I was dressed to go to the youth club. I was wearing clean (ironed :D) jeans, a brown shirt (also clean and ironed) and Jesus sandals. My mother looked at me and said 'you're not going out dressed like that, are you?' I think the brown shirt was the main offender, I had not been aware of the 'Brown Shirts' at that stage. Anyway I went.

Edit, to stay on topic, I still wear jeans if I feel like it, or floaty skirts, or trousers, and tee shirts or short sleeved jumpers or those tops that look like a short dress over trousers. Or whatever I feel like. I don't like fitted clothes, jackets, shiny jewellery (I like beads) or synthetic fabrics. Like another regular on the forum I like dressing up, in my case in (reasonably authentic) historical type outfits especially long skirts.

I dare anyone to post a pic of what they were wearing today. Okay, this weekend.

Don't need a pic, jeans, (old) teeshirt, fleece, christmas socks. In my defence I have been housecleaning and ironing, and its lashing rain and chilly here.

Edit: the fleece has ancient paint on one sleeve.

I think we have been asked to post photos of ourselves a long time back and I believe only two here have ever done so, not me. Today I was.......adorable! ;)

You mean the non-conformity of wearing the very same skinny jean that every other fashionista male is wearing? :rolleyes:

I am comfortable in (non shape-conforming) linen, crisp cotton shirts, dad jeans (cue Embossy :D rolling his eyes).

Was never sold on the idea that "clothes make the man." Tis the man that makes the clothes, regardless of style or quality - fashion is just window dressing.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I think we have been asked to post photos of ourselves a long time back and I believe only two here have ever done so, not me. Today I was.......adorable! ;)

Its generally considered now Not A Good Idea to post pics (though not forbidden) for personal security reasons.

You mean the non-conformity of wearing the very same skinny jean that every other fashionista male is wearing? :rolleyes:

It's the non-conformity of a middle aged male wearing skinny jeans! I have never seen a man in my age group wearing the skin tight jeans that I wear.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    .... (I like beads) ..... Like another regular on the forum I like dressing up, in my case in (reasonably authentic) historical type outfits especially long skirts.

Still a hippie at heart Looksee!

Advertisement