Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is best pizza in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi there,
    It might depend on people's preferences - some love thin/stone baked/thick crust.
    It's good to support your local pizzeria - maybe tell them what you like? Also
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/basic-pizza/
    is fool-proof.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've moved this to the regional forum - you're more likely to get good advise here.

In my opinion, Novecento in McCurtain St and Douglas St make a decent pizza. Approved by friends from Sicily, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The pizza in the Fran Well.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Hi there,
    It might depend on people's preferences - some love thin/stone baked/thick crust.
    It's good to support your local pizzeria - maybe tell them what you like? Also
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/basic-pizza/
    is fool-proof.

I second the Jamie Oliver dough and sauce recipes. Regularly make my own, and often serve it to guests who love it. it's the easiest thing to make, you can make the sauce the night before and the dough before you get ready for your guests - then it's just assembly and cooking (though I do have two full ovens to work with which helps).

As for pizzeria, Novacento on Douglas St is very good, and use premium ingredients. La Tana on Barrack St gets an honourable mention too.

Neither has much in the way of seats, but Fionbarra on Douglas St will let you bring in Novacento after they stop serving food, and they have lovely pints so you're sorted.

None of the sit down venues excite me much, though Uncle Pete's on Paul St was good when I was last there 3-4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Palmento's in Douglas is fantastic, lovely pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

its outside the city now but if you fancy a spin - pizzas here are supposed to top notch !
    https://www.toonsbridgedairy.com/pages/dairy-shop-pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

La Tana on Barrack St. is excellent. Palmento in Douglas too. Don't know anywhere that does them more deep-dish like in your pictures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

La Tana on Barrack Street, authentic Italian place, no where has come close in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    Don't know anywhere that does them more deep-dish like in your pictures though.

This.
    All the recommendations here are for Italian style thin based pizza. (The best kind imo).
    I haven't seen deep dish pizza in Cork since the early 90s.

OP, each to their own but I think the pictures you posted look like terrible, over loaded, heavy pizzas. I don't think you will find that style in Ireland anymore.

Pompeii pizza in the Fran well, la tana are very good. I've had great pizza from uncle Petes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Novecento's my fave but they overcook pizza in comparison to the average Italian or Croatian pizza. I prefer that, buy Croatian and Italians seem to like that just-barely-cooked pizza.
    Didn't see a single deep pan pizza when I was in Croatia for a fortnight.
    The most "authentic" I've seen or tasted in the city is PizzAmore, stunned they haven't been mentioned yet.
    Tom Barry's is also very good.
    La Tana's quite nice but they put too many toppings on, makes the base go soggy and/or limp depending on how juicy or fatty the toppings are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tom Barry's.

Find the Fran Well incinerate the edges of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Novecento would definitely be my favourite.
    I dont know where you would get a pizza like in the OP pictures though.

Definitely Fran well, great value too as the pizzas are very big. Novecento are good too though I find their pizzas a bit oily at time. Pizzas are quite nice in Tom Barry’s also but a little small for the price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tom Barry's

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MagicShadow

grindle wrote: »
    Novecento's my fave but they overcook pizza in comparison to the average Italian or Croatian pizza. I prefer that, buy Croatian and Italians seem to like that just-barely-cooked pizza.
    Didn't see a single deep pan pizza when I was in Croatia for a fortnight.
    The most "authentic" I've seen or tasted in the city is PizzAmore, stunned they haven't been mentioned yet.
    Tom Barry's is also very good.
    La Tana's quite nice but they put too many toppings on, makes the base go soggy and/or limp depending on how juicy or fatty the toppings are.

La Tana's sound good :D

Definitely Fran well, great value too as the pizzas are very big. Novecento are good too though I find their pizzas a bit oily at time. Pizzas are quite nice in Tom Barry’s also but a little small for the price.

Fran well definitely no...
    I was there with friends because everyone was saying on reviews that there is the best pizza in Cork, and omg....

First, menu was so small, service terrible...

We ordered the special pizza of the day as recommended and it was horrible, mby just our luck.
    It was thin like paper, it broke when we poked it with a fork, almost nothing on it.

So it wasn't really good first impression, and don't know if we wanna go again there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, pizza is supposed to be thin. And menus are better small.

Big menu = cruddy kitchen stocked with frozen low quality goods.

I don’t know what to tell ya.. go back to the 80’s. You’ll find what you want there.

Your photos resemble dominos. Try that?

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, pizza is supposed to be thin. And menus are better small.

Big menu = cruddy kitchen stocked with frozen low quality goods.

I don’t know what to tell ya.. go back to the 80’s. You’ll find what you want there.

Your photos resemble dominos. Try that?

Yeah it's supposed to be thin, but not like paper...
    Big menu more variety, for the quality it all depends on organization, how good chef is and so on...
    I know pizzerias with pretty big menu and all are top quality.

And it's not about 80's because there are really nice pizzerias in 2018.

Ofc people have different tastes and so on but my most struggle with pizza in Cork is that everywhere I tried it was poor quality.

They just take dough for pizza from freezer and put ingredients on it.
    Which isn't good at all, I'll be very happy to found a pizzeria that makes a fresh pizza dough. :D
    As for ingredients you can always ask staff members to put more of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

There's nothing wrong with liking Italian style pizza, just like there's nothing wrong with American/Turkish style, which seems to be what OP is looking for. I don't think there is a lot of places that do the thicker style pizza in Cork though, but I'd give Papa John's a go, or maybe Scoozi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Nothing wring with liking any type of pizza. But if it's all poor quality, then just make it yourself than going through such suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

None of the ones recommended are poor quality. Fran well, palmento etc, all are fresh dough and good ingredients.
    I was going to recommend toonsbridge as well, but the OP won't like that either. I'm getting the hump with him/her saying they are poor quality.

pwurple wrote: »
    None of the ones recommended are poor quality. Fran well, palmento etc, all are fresh dough and good ingredients.
    I was going to recommend toonsbridge as well, but the OP won't like that either. I'm getting the hump with him/her saying they are poor quality.

Btw what OP means xD

And yeah lots of people said to me that Fran well is great even Croatian people so mby was just my luck xD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Brunos in kinsale... Franciscan well, volcano at farmers markets...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Btw what OP means
    OP means "Original Poster" i.e. the person who started the thread. In this case, you.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I have to agree with the negative comments above on Fran Well, their pizzas have been terrible any time we've got them.

Been there 3 times with work events over the last year or so and they've always burned to a crisp on the outside edge and broke apart far too easily.

We've ordered I'd say 20 pizzas at a time on the nights out, staggered too, not burdening them with 20 orders at once and maybe 5 of them have been good, the consistency is the issue so I wouldn't go there again, not for pizza anyway.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I have to agree with the negative comments above on Fran Well, their pizzas have been terrible any time we've got them.

Been there 3 times with work events over the last year or so and they've always burned to a crisp on the outside edge and broke apart far too easily.

We've ordered I'd say 20 pizzas at a time on the nights out, staggered too, not burdening them with 20 orders at once and maybe 5 of them have been good, the consistency is the issue so I wouldn't go there again, not for pizza anyway.

Thank you for the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

CHealy wrote: »
    La Tana on Barrack Street, authentic Italian place, no where has come close in my experience.

La Tana is the worst pizza I've had in my life. I've attached a pic of what they gave me.

Great pizzas in Cork are Novecento, Franciscan Well, Toons Bridge (bit far out) and perhaps PizzAmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That does look a bit tragic alright. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

La Tana is the worst pizza I've had in my life. I've attached a pic of what they gave me.

Great pizzas in Cork are Novecento, Franciscan Well, Toons Bridge (bit far out) and perhaps PizzAmore.
    Mine and 6 others' certainly looked nothing like that recently, quality control might need to step in.

Advertisement