Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

GBX wrote: »
    Nokia 7+. Has Oreo (Android one), NFC and the camera is brilliant.
    Can be got close to your budget.
    Pulled the trigger on that and ordered it from euglobal (€289). Arrived last night, fantastic phone for the money cannot find any fault with it, camera good in low light, google pay (Ulsterbank using NFC) , Leapcard topup etc all working great, display lovely, guaranteed Google OS updates for another two years, first time I haven't felt any need whatsoever to go tinkering with roms.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Supercell wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on that and ordered it from euglobal (€289). Arrived last night, fantastic phone for the money cannot find any fault with it, camera good in low light, google pay (Ulsterbank using NFC) , Leapcard topup etc all working great, display lovely, guaranteed Google OS updates for another two years, first time I haven't felt any need whatsoever to go tinkering with roms.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Happy days! Nokia 9 Pie - should be released in a few weeks too. Enjoy!
    While it comes with a case, I got this one. Decent quality. I prefer the black to the clear one! https://www.ebay.com/itm/302706740521

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Happy days! Nokia 9 Pie - should be released in a few weeks too. Enjoy!
    While it comes with a case, I got this one. Decent quality. I prefer the black to the clear one! https://www.ebay.com/itm/302706740521
    Thanks for that.
    In case you don't know if we can get Pie (prerelease) already - sign up at https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/developer for free.
    Its downloading here now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

budgemook wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a Huawei Honor 10 for a decent price and shipped from Europe?

It is €339 on MediaMarkt at the minute
    http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_honor-10-64-gb-midnight-black-dual-sim-2421592.html

€379 for the 128GB version
    http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_honor-view-10-128-gb-navy-blue-dual-sim-2375636.html

and €10 - €16 to ship using mailboxde.com (Mail forwarding similar to parcel motel or parcel wizard etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Has anyone here gone for the Xiaomi Mi8? I haven't owned a Xiaomi since the Mi3, and I'm getting an itch.

How is MiUi these days? I didn't like the aggressive RAM management back in the day, I found it interfered with notifications from non-stock apps and with multitasking. I'd hope that with the amount of RAM most handsets have these days, it's not an issue anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Recently got a Mi Note 3 and having problems with notifications for TeslaUnread - judging by the comments on the play store I'm not the only one.

Not getting an notification badges for Gmail. Anyone suggest and fixes? I've turned off MIUI Optimisation and tried restart etc without success.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

You need to go to battery and turn off optimisations for any app you want to get notifications from. Also you need to go to applications and enable permissions for all the various types of notifications floating pop up etc. Do this for or each app you want notifications for.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

cmac2009 wrote:
    Not getting an notification badges for Gmail. Anyone suggest and fixes? I've turned off MIUI Optimisation and tried restart etc without success.

MIUI is a user interface developed by Xiaomi for its range of smartphones and tablets. The latest version of MIUI i.e. MIUI 8 was rolled out to users in June 2016. Xiaomi has introduced a host of new features in MIUI 8. The best of them are Quick Ball, Dual Apps, Second Space. But as we know every ROM has its pros and cons. One of the bugs seen in the previous versions of MIUI that affects push notifications still haunts the users in the latest MIUI 8.

This bug was also seen in MIUI 7, but enabling priority notifications fixed it. In the case of MIUI 8, the issue prevails because of battery management feature of MIUI 8, which kills background apps and sync services when your phone is idle. The solution to this problem is easy. You just have to prioritize notifications and enable autostart for those apps of which you want to receive push notifications. Follow the below procedure to fix push notifications in MIUI 8. Below are 3 methods to fix this issue.

Fix Push Notifications in MIUI 8

Prioritize Notifications

On your Xiaomi smartphone, head to settings.

In the settings menu, choose the notifications and start bar option.

Notification and Status Bar

There, click on App notifications.

You will see a list of applications available on your smartphone. Choose the app which you want to prioritize.

Choose an app of which you want to prioritize notification

Enable floating notifications app icon badge and lock screen notifications.

Click on priority button. Make sure that it is enabled by checking the color of priority button. If it changes to blue, then it is enabled.

Enable floating notifications, app icon badge and priority notification

Following these steps will most probably fix push notifications issue. If you are still not able to see the alerts for an incoming message then follow our next method.

Disable Battery Saver Mode

Go to the settings menu on your Xiaomi smartphone.

Head to Battery and performance option.

Battery

There you will see an option “Manage app battery usageâ€. Click on it.

Manage Apps Battery Usage

Select “off†in power saving modes.

This will allow the apps to continue running the apps in the background even when your phone is idle. Don’t worry, this won’t affect the battery life of the smartphone you are using. If the issue still prevails, then follow the next method.

Enable Autostart

Go to the settings menu.

Head to Permissions.

Permissions

Click on Autostart.

Enable Autostart

Choose the apps which you want to start automatically.

Enabling autostart make sure that apps aren’t affected by the battery mode chosen and show notifications irrespective of battery mode. This will in all possibility push notifications in MIUI 8. For any doubts, drop down a comment below

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately none of the below worked.

MIUI is a user interface developed by Xiaomi for its range of smartphones and tablets. The latest version of MIUI i.e. MIUI 8 was rolled out to users in June 2016. Xiaomi has introduced a host of new features in MIUI 8. The best of them are Quick Ball, Dual Apps, Second Space. But as we know every ROM has its pros and cons. One of the bugs seen in the previous versions of MIUI that affects push notifications still haunts the users in the latest MIUI 8.

This bug was also seen in MIUI 7, but enabling priority notifications fixed it. In the case of MIUI 8, the issue prevails because of battery management feature of MIUI 8, which kills background apps and sync services when your phone is idle. The solution to this problem is easy. You just have to prioritize notifications and enable autostart for those apps of which you want to receive push notifications. Follow the below procedure to fix push notifications in MIUI 8. Below are 3 methods to fix this issue.

Fix Push Notifications in MIUI 8

Prioritize Notifications

On your Xiaomi smartphone, head to settings.

In the settings menu, choose the notifications and start bar option.

Notification and Status Bar

There, click on App notifications.

You will see a list of applications available on your smartphone. Choose the app which you want to prioritize.

Choose an app of which you want to prioritize notification

Enable floating notifications app icon badge and lock screen notifications.

Click on priority button. Make sure that it is enabled by checking the color of priority button. If it changes to blue, then it is enabled.

Enable floating notifications, app icon badge and priority notification

Following these steps will most probably fix push notifications issue. If you are still not able to see the alerts for an incoming message then follow our next method.

Disable Battery Saver Mode

Go to the settings menu on your Xiaomi smartphone.

Head to Battery and performance option.

Battery

There you will see an option “Manage app battery usageâ€. Click on it.

Select “off†in power saving modes.

This will allow the apps to continue running the apps in the background even when your phone is idle. Don’t worry, this won’t affect the battery life of the smartphone you are using. If the issue still prevails, then follow the next method.

Enable Autostart

Go to the settings menu.

Head to Permissions.

Permissions

Click on Autostart.

Enable Autostart

Choose the apps which you want to start automatically.

Enabling autostart make sure that apps aren’t affected by the battery mode chosen and show notifications irrespective of battery mode. This will in all possibility push notifications in MIUI 8. For any doubts, drop down a comment below

cmac2009 wrote: »

Have you tried settings in the gmail app and notifications, and make sure it is synced?

If the notifications are turned on for the correct level, maybe go try going to settings -> apps -> gmail -> clear data

and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Lack of Widevine L1 and subsequent inability to watch Netflix in HD is a major turn off for me with a lot of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hi all
    If I buy from a Chinese site with an EU warehouse I shouldn't get any customs charges right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Hi all
    If I buy from a Chinese site with an EU warehouse I shouldn't get any customs charges right?

Nope no charges, also check out Amazon.co.uk or other variants as they stock Chinese phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Hi all

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Ah so I was a dope and managed to order the wrong case for my Xiaomi Redmi Note 5.
    If anyone wants, I now have a purple flip (fake) leather case for a Xiaomi Redmi 5 - gimme a Euro plus postage (collect in Mallow)!

10ni82o.jpg2qsmand.jpge9x0yp.jpg2uxza60.jpgxfuxqb.jpg

Yes tried all that and still same issue. The notification badge does appear for a split second when I access at first but then disappears. Vey strange. As I mentioned earlier, it seems a few people are having this issue with Gmail & TelsaUnread

Suckit wrote: »
    Have you tried settings in the gmail app and notifications, and make sure it is synced?

If the notifications are turned on for the correct level, maybe go try going to settings -> apps -> gmail -> clear data

and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So if you uninstall Tesla unread is it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Vulnerabilities Found in the Firmware of 25 Android Smartphone Models
    Some big OEM brands listed

These vulnerabilities were discovered in both the default apps that come preinstalled on some devices by default (and are sometimes unremovable), but also in the firmware of core device drivers that can't be removed without losing some of the phone's functionality, if not access to the device as a whole.

US mobile and IoT security firm Kryptowire unearthed these vulnerabilities as part of a grant awarded by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

The smartphone brands (OEMs) included on Kryptowire's list include big names such as ZTE, Sony, Nokia, LG, Asus, and Alcatel, but also smaller companies such as Vivo, SKY, Plum, Orbic, Oppo, MXQ, Leagoo, Essential, Doogee, and Coolpad.

"With the hundreds of mobile phone makes and models on the market and thousands of versions of firmware, best-effort manual testing and evaluations simply cannot scale to address the problem of identifying vulnerabilities in mobile phone pre-installed apps and firmware," said Angelos Stavrou, CEO of Kryptowire, in a press release also announcing the release of a new enterprise-targeted platform for automatically testing the firmware and apps of Android mobile devices.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

My wife has a Redmi 4x that I got for her last Christmas. It's been going great for her and she loves it. However the last two days the battery has been slow to charge and drains very quickly once charged. She's just texted me to say it's about to die after being at 100% this morning (now 3:10 pm). Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be?

fixxxer wrote: »
    So if you uninstall Tesla unread is it fixed?

Tried uninstall/reinstall but issue persists. Will continue to play around with it

• Advertisement

Bahanaman wrote: »
    My wife has a Redmi 4x that I got for her last Christmas. It's been going great for her and she loves it. However the last two days the battery has been slow to charge and drains very quickly once charged. She's just texted me to say it's about to die after being at 100% this morning (now 3:10 pm). Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be?

Could be an update.
    Could be something running in the background. It may be an app upate.
    Does she have the screen brightness up high?

Go to settings -> Battery and she should be able to see what is eating the battery the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Bahanaman wrote: »

Happened with my Mi4C. Battery done basically. You should be able to pick up a new battery via Ali Express.

WARNING! Anti-Rollback is now ACTIVATED on Mi Max 3

See the Mi Max 3 thread for more info.

Xiaomi continue to roll out this bad implementation of ARP.

Devices, I know of to have it so far included

RN5[WHYRED], Redmi 6 Pro[sakura], Mi 6X[wayne] and Mi Max 3[nitrogen].

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Any alternative to the Motorola G6 Plus?
    Need to replace my G3 as the paltry memory is always full, that and other damage means it's time to replace.
    Like the G6 Plus, size memory etc but I'm not overly familiar with current phones on the market at that price range... circa €200 - 300.
    Any interesting alternatives?
    I seen mention of a Nokia a few posts back?
    I like the lack of bloatware on the Motorola's as well.

Thanks Folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

Looking for a budget smartphone (below €200) to replace my Motorola Moto G (yes I've had it since March 2014!). My main issue is my 8GB storage so I'll probably be impressed by any of my options. I need an FM radio but other than that I don't have any special requirements, will mostly be used for internet and facebook, though I do download podcasts as well. My current screen size is 4.5 and I really don't want a massive one, so would prefer a 5 inch to a 5.5, ideally wouldn't want it to weigh a ton either (though I realise mine i unusually light).

Any recommendations? I've been looking at Motorola G5 and G6 (bit pricey) and then Xiaomi Note 4 and Note 4x, though I keep getting confused about the differences between them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was reading reviews of that one that suggested the Note 4 is better (and cheaper)? I suppose I'm aiming more for the €150-170 mark, unless there's a significant difference that means it's worth paying more. I'm not a tech person so a fancier phone would probably be wasted on me :)

Any alternative to the Motorola G6 Plus?
    Need to replace my G3 as the paltry memory is always full, that and other damage means it's time to replace.
    Like the G6 Plus, size memory etc but I'm not overly familiar with current phones on the market at that price range... circa €200 - 300.
    Any interesting alternatives?
    I seen mention of a Nokia a few posts back?
    I like the lack of bloatware on the Motorola's as well.

Thanks Folks!

Have you looked at Oppo or Vivo V7+? (V9 Global not available yet I think) I would consider either to be interesting alternatives, unfortunately not all of their phones have Band 20, but many do.
    Also the Xiaomi Mi A2 128GB version is on notebooksbilliger for €269 and €30 cashback if you use Masterpass.
    I didn't check through the details, if you want to you could use google translate.
    Other phones to look at might be Nokia 6.1 Plus or here, Huawei P20 Lite or here or Nokia 7 Plus
    The may all be available on amazon too. I didn't double check.

Xiaomi Pocophone F1

Xiaomi Pocophone F1
    <<< gsmarena specs

Pocophone F1 by Xiaomi review <<< gsmarena

Already a boards thread: - Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

• Advertisement

Could someone just reassure me that this price and site is legit? :) I'm a luddite and have no clue but from what research I've done this seems to be a solid bet for best budget smartphone

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Global-Edition-5_5-inch-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1129991.html?utm_campaign=Kimo30&utm_content=Isabela&p=QV2409786796201409DB&ID=533553&cur_warehouse=HK

Advertisement