Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car ins company looking for pps number

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This is a joke right?
    ebbsy wrote: »
    There may be a few bob in this for the OP if his right have been beached.

I would be calling my solicitor Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

ebbsy wrote: »
    There may be a few bob in this for the OP if his right have been beached.

I would be calling my solicitor Monday morning.

Cue theme to only fools and horses...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I work for a life insurance company and its our obligation to get PPS number for any financial product such as savings, investments or life insurance.
    This is imposed on us by central bank and its part of anti money laundering guidelines
    . I'm not sure if it also applies to regulated general insurances too but it may do. Take it from me, they are not asking just to annoy you it must be an obligation.

This is totally inaccurate, the Central Bank Guidlines absolutely do not require an obligation to ask for PPS number.

Have a look at Appendix 1 and you will see what the guidlines actually require of a financial institution. No part of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010 as amended requires a PPS number either.

What is required of a financial institution is to satisfy itself of a persons identity and address, how that is done is not specified, but, anybody (including a financial institution*) simply asking for a PPS number (other than where prescribed**) is commiting a criminal offence simpliciter under S262 (9) of the Social Welfare (Consolidation) Act 2005.

*An Post are exempt from this by virtue of the fact they are agents of the National Treasury Management Agency and so authorised to request a PPS number.

** Under R7 of the Return of Payments (Banks, Building Societies, Credit Unions and Savings Banks) Regulations 2008 financial institutions are only permitted to seek (and for you to provide) a PPS number when opening an account (however contrary to what financial institutions state it is not mandatory in order to open an account). R8 also states that a financial institution can not use a PPS number for any purpose other than a Revenue return.

The above deal with money laundering, account opening and Revenue returns only.

Turning to the OPs question now.

Some have correctly stated this is due to the new Central Credit Register established earlier this year under the provisions of the Credit Reporting Act 2013.

Under the provisions of the Act since January 1st when seeking "credit" of €500 or over you are by law required to provide your PPS number amongst other things to the provider of the credit who in turn must provide that information to the Central Bank. Any payments via Direct Debit are installments and fall under the heading of either deferred payment or a financial accommodation and so come under the scope of the 2013 Act:-
    “credit” includes a loan, deferred payment or other form of financial accommodation

You must provide "personal information" for any application and that information is defined by S6 of the Act as:-
    6. (1) In relation to a credit information subject who is an individual, the following is personal information—

(a) the individual’s forename and surname and any former surnames (including any alias);

(b) the individual’s mother’s birth surname;

(c) the individual’s date and place of birth;

(d) the individual’s address and previous addresses;

(e) the individual’s telephone number;

(f) the individual’s personal public service number (within the meaning ofsection 262 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005 ) and any other reference numbers allocated to the individual for the purposes of tax (whether in the State or any other country or territory);

(g) the individual’s employment status and, if employed or carrying on other activities, the individual’s occupation and the sector of the economy in which the individual is occupied.

Schedule 1 of the Credit Reporting Act 2013 (Section 11) (Provision of Information for Central Credit Register) Regulations 2016 also confirms the information you must provide:-
    Schedule 1

Personal Information to be Provided, as Applicable

Personal Information in respect of individuals

Forename

Surname

Date of Birth

Address

Postal Code

Eircode

Personal Public Service Number

Other Tax Reference Numbers

Telephone Number

Sector of Economic Activity

Employment: Employment Status

Employment: Occupation Category

Institutional Sector — ESA Flag

Subject Status — Deceased Flag

So in short yes Chill/Close Brother are correct in asking you for your PPS number, they are legally required to ask and you are legally required to provide. If you refuse to give your PPS number then you get no credit.

Advertisement