Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car ins company looking for pps number

Options
  • 14-07-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was wondering if anyone else has come across this?
    I just paid a deposit for my car insurance with chill and they sent me out the forms to send back. They are looking for proof of my PPS number. I thought only social welfare and govt deptartments could look for that, I don’t even know if the guards can ask me??
    I’m afraid now that they won’t insure me and I’ll lose my deposit if I don’t send them my pps but don’t think they have any need for my pps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Hey,
    I just paid a deposit for my car insurance with chill and they sent me out the forms to send back. They are looking for proof of my PPS number. I thought only social welfare and govt deptartments could look for that, I don’t even know if the guards can ask me??
    I’m afraid now that they won’t insure me and I’ll lose my deposit if I don’t send them my pps but don’t think they have any need for my pps?

Do you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hey,
    Any reason why you don't want to give it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Any valid reason why he should?

Stanford wrote: »
    To get insured would seem a pretty obvious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First Up wrote: »
    Any reason why you don't want to give it to them?

Because I can't think of any valid reason one would be required to insure a car or be used to categorise the risk of someone taking out insurance.

• Advertisement

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Stanford wrote: »

An insurance company has no legal right to request the identity of someone from their PPS number. Data protection would eat them alive. What possible reason have they to hold it. OP, are you sure they didn't ask for your drivers license number ? That they can use to attain your identity and your points status.

Damien360 wrote: »
    An insurance company has no legal right to request the identity of someone from their PPS number. Data protection would eat them alive. What possible reason have they to hold it. OP, are you sure they didn't ask for your drivers license number ? That they can use to attain your identity and your points status.

That makes sense, the PPS number is only for interaction with State services, I can't see how car insurance qualifies

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

What's the downside of giving it to them?

• Advertisement

I would suggest that supplying your PPS number to the Credit Register is against all the principles of the new GDPR legislation recently enacted. The insurer or finance company can already access your credit history with your name,DOB and a recent address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP are you paying with an instalment plan or paying it out in full? If you are using an instalment it is essentially a line of credit and they require this info for a central register. It was something set up a few years ago but it's only enforced in the last 3 no the or so because they hadn't the register set up. Anyone that takes credit now over a certain value has to register on this with there PPS

What's the downside of giving it to them?

Its not so much the downside, its whether they are allowed to ask for it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Give the Data Protection office a ring on Monday and see what their take is on it.
    Seems very very odd that a credit supplier is asking for a PPS number.

Feel free to argue the point but if you need to get a car insured and if you have a PPS number, I'm still waiting to hear a reason why you wouldn't give it.

Of course if you don't have a PPS number.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Yes. Even a government department will not seek it unless absolutely necessary.

It seems OP may be correct, see the last page of the attached under Personal Information

Feel free to argue the point but if you need to get a car insured and if you have a PPS number, I'm still waiting to hear a reason why you wouldn't give it.

Of course if you don't have a PPS number.....

Please see my last post, I am surprised at this and was genuinely unaware of the need to provide a PPS no. when accessing credit until now

Sort it soon please because I don't want to have a shunt with some uninsured gobshyte whose principles over the more obscure reaches of data protection didn't allow him get his wretched banger insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is a very limited list of organisations who can validly ask for your PPS. That list is detailed here

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-Register-of-Users.aspx

• Advertisement
    M

Looks like Credit Unions request it too for loans...
    Proof of your PPS Number - This must be in the form of an official document from the Revenue Commissioners or Department of Social and Family Affairs, which contains your name and PPS Number. ( Copy of your tax credits or your Social Services Card)

https://www.cscu.ie/Loan-Application

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Sort it soon please because I don't want to have a shunt with some uninsured gobshyte whose principles over the more obscure reaches of data protection didn't allow him get his wretched banger insured.

Just for the record I rang them last week to pay my deposit which is pretty much almost a month ahead of when my insurance is due so no need to worry too much about an uninsured gobshyte on the roads. Also if you want to hand out you pps number to private companies willy nilly feel free to but I want to make sure that I’m not being a gobshyte and handing new over pretty private information if I don’t have to.

I opened the letter today and tried calling them
    But they were closed which is why I tried here so I could have my ducks in order before I talk properly on Monday to them.

This is the first time in 15 years of driving that I’ve ever been asked for pps to get insured. I’ve always paid in installments and never had a problem with this.
    I’ll give data reg a call on Monday to just check because it’s just new to me to give out this info when what I’ve read is only govt departments are required to look for it .

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I wonder is it to stop people getting the insurance disc and then not pay the rest of the monthly installments

100% sure it’s a copy of pps they want. Said in form of payslip or social welfare card etc.
    They also ask for driving licence and no claims bonus letter which all make sense.
    I guess I’m just confused because I’ve never been asked for pps before and have been driving over 15 years now, only once have I ever paid in full, i usually have to pay In installments as I never have enough free money to pay it in one go

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I wonder is it to stop people getting the insurance disc and then not pay the rest of the monthly installments

Perhaps but how would having my pps make a difference to that? They have my bank details, driving licence and proof of address.

M

I think it's more to register a loan/debt with Revenue so they can track all your financial dealings through your PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gonad wrote: »
    For who didn't click the link;
    The Central Credit Register is the new database for credit and personal information for loans of €500 or more.
    So if you don't pay for the insurance up front, they seem to be legally obliged to get the info from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I work for a life insurance company and its our obligation to get PPS number for any financial product such as savings, investments or life insurance.
    This is imposed on us by central bank and its part of anti money laundering guidelines. I'm not sure if it also applies to regulated general insurances too but it may do. Take it from me, they are not asking just to annoy you it must be an obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

There may be a few bob in this for the OP if his right have been beached.

I would be calling my solicitor Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ebbsy wrote: »
    There may be a few bob in this for the OP if his right have been beached.

I would be calling my solicitor Monday morning.

You'd be better off reading the thread than calling a solicitor.

Advertisement