Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could possess one historical and one mythical /fictional artifact

Options
  • 13-07-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

And display it in your home...

I think thors hammer would look pretty cool in a display cabinet above the mantlepiece.

Van goghs mulberry tree painting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Gutenberg bible

Lindsey Logan's dignity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

An Claidheamh Solas and the pulleys the alines used to build the pyramids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The Jade Monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Nike of Samothrace. My favourite sculpture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Spear of Destiny.

Real and mythical combined into one. Although I prefer the mythical where I can control space and time and indeed the world.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Spirit of St.Louis. Beautiful machine. Hard to hang over the fireplace though.
    Excaliber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,753 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The Dzopa Stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Aladdin's Lamp.

3 wishes and a Mantlepiece ornament.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Holy Stone of Clonrickard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The Mona Lisa and Excalibur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Archeron

The mask of Tutankhamun still on the body as a coffee table would be nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Leonardo DaVinci's full set of notebooks. All those cool musings and inventions we know about like helicopters and parachutes and art and gears and observations on the natural world and canal gates and architecture and weapons and anatomy? They all came from his notebooks. Problem is soon after his death those entrusted with them screwed up and lost them, or sold them off piecemeal. So as it is now we only have under a quarter of the original set. Christ knows what the rest contained.

Single object? Probably the Lion man of Hohlenstein.

Lion-man-of-the-Hohlenstein-Stadel-Aurignacian.jpg

One of the oldest works of figurative sculpture in human history(there's a tiny Venus figure that vies for the title) at 35-40,000 years old. From the earliest Modern Humans in Europe. About a foot(30cms) tall, carved from mammoth ivory with flint tools. A right bugger of a task*. It's a tad neat and easy to nail modern human thought and all that made us, us right down to today to this period* and an object like this, but it's compelling one.

An object that sums us up as the toolmaker, the handaxe, a tool in use for over a million years would be another, but I've a fair few of them, so I am embarrassingly sorted there. To hold such an object in the hand is for me at least very humbling and adds major perspective.

*years back and because I'm slightly bonkers - well when I say slightly - I decided to have a go at carving bits of Hawthorn wood with flint tools I made myself. Hawthorn is a hard wood, but it's nothing close to ivory and it was a bloody longwinded effort I can tell you.

**the more we dig the more we find that at least in very rare instances and places even earlier peoples that weren't modern humans, going back 100's of 1000's of years may have had a basic inkling of what we might call "art". EG Neandertal cave paintings and stone structures.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,656 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Antikythera mechanism would be an interesting conversation piece to have on the coffee table.

Wouldn't mind having the Elgin Marbles running around the interior of my apartment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Golden Arse relic from the lost Inca village of Licky Bumbum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Jesus Christ cup ( if it cures illness and **** all in)

Historical Tara Brooch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

o1s1n wrote: »

Wouldn't mind having the Elgin Marbles running around the interior of my apartment :pac:
    The Greeks want 'em back - anybody would think they owned them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MurmanskRun

Wibbs wrote: »
    An object that sums us up as the toolmaker, the handaxe, a tool in use for over a million years would be another

An Acheulean axe, Wibbs? Awesome! (I'm re-reading Bryson's "Short History" atm, just finished the "Restless Ape" chapter.)

On topic, any of the suspected "lost" Shakespearean plays, notably "Love’s Labour Won".

Edit: Duh, mythical. Aladdin's magic lamp*

* I had to google the correct spelling of Aladdin. One L, two Ds? Two L's, two Ds? Worryingly google's auto-suggest tells me that "Aladdin's magic lube" is a thing :O

Historical: The Bible, first ever tablet/written form.

Mythical: Magic Carpet. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Probably Brutus's Gladius (Roman sword used by Brutus).

Mythical, Cleopatra's butt plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I'm not sure what mythical /fictional artifact I'd pick .

For historical , maybe something like this Anubis statue from Tomb of Tutankhamun -
    455716.jpg

Not sure why , but I've always liked them . Besides , dogs are cool :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Leonardo DaVinci's full set of notebooks. All those cool musings and inventions we know about like helicopters and parachutes and art and gears and observations on the natural world and canal gates and architecture and weapons and anatomy? They all came from his notebooks. Problem is soon after his death those entrusted with them screwed up and lost them, or sold them off piecemeal. So as it is now we only have under a quarter of the original set. Christ knows what the rest contained.

I was lucky to see a collection of DaVinci's drawings ( including the original image of his Vitruvian Man ) in Venice in 2013 .

I booked a trip for my wife and I , and by sheer coincidence , there was an exhibition on in Venice .

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-23877065
    https://www.venetoinside.com/events-in-veneto/event/leonardo-da-vinci-luomo-universale/

They had pieces shipped in from other collections for it .

Amazing to see .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Cyrus cylinder would be nice to have sitting around the place

cyrus_cylinder.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Trump's hair.
    Legend says it's the source of all his power.

Crowned with it I'd be unstoppable. Then I'd show yez. I'd show yez all! *maniacal laughter*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Aladdin's Lamp

Historical - would prefer to see the objects being used or invented at the time. So Archimedes death ray mirror . Archimedes screw. Ancient ships. Pirate towns. Ancient palaces and temples in Rome and Greece . Newgrange and Stonehenge in their glory days.
    Meeting the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Aladdin's Lamp

Historical - would prefer to see the objects being used or invented at the time. So Archimedes death ray mirror . Archimedes screw. Ancient ships. Pirate towns. Ancient palaces and temples in Rome and Greece . Newgrange and Stonehenge in their glory days. The monks working on the book of Kells.
    Meeting the people.
    Also would be more.interested in extinct animals of all types but especially other human species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Any clock John Harrison made/designed.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Historical: the entrance stone to Newgrange. That’d look fab in my garden.

Mythical- not sure, nothing springs to mind, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Historical: Crooked Hillary's emails

Mythical: Russian Hackers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ferdia's good looks and CuChullains steelly determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Historical - Newgrange Entrance Stone.

Fictional - The Infinity Gauntlet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Forgot mythical. That's easy for me. A Tardis.

Tardis-in-Space-tardis-6289810-1280-768.jpg

It would mean I could go anywhere or anywhen I wanted to and see cool stuff. And it's more roomy than a nuclear powered DeLorean. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement