Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed build - help

Options
  • 12-07-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to build a shed. I have no construction experience but I have a plan.

The basic design brief is:

- For non-habitable use, e.g. storage, hang out, home office.
    - 4m ridge height.
    - 15sqm internal floor area suspended.
    - Ground screw foundation with topsoil replaced by gravel and land drain underneath.
    - Structural ridge beam for completely open interior space.
    - 40 degree slated roof

I'm going for ground screws as it's in a wooded area and I don't want to disturb tree roots. Plus no DPM/DPC required as water can't crawl up the posts.

The ridge beam is 4.8m x 225mm x 75mm x 3 and end posts are same. I've done my own calculations which I might run past a structural engineer, but I think it's OK (not posting details or asking for advice here on that as I think it's against the charter).

I'm planning on putting the racking on the outside of the studs beneath the insulation as it gives better continuity and leaves me to mess around in the studs without compromising wall performance.

Wall build up is (from inside):
    - Stud 100mm x 44mm, open
    - Racking 15mm ESB (OSB)
    - Insulation 80mm Gutex
    - Membrane (Pro clima SOLITEX FRONTA WA?)
    - Vertical batten 22mm
    - Horizontal counter-batten 22mm
    - Cladding 18mm vertical larch

Roof build up is (from inside):
    - Rafter 150mm
    - Racking 15mm ESB (OSB)
    - Insulation 80mm Gutex
    - Membrane?
    - Vertical batten 22mm
    - Horizontal counter-batten 22mm
    - Tiles 5.5mm natural slate

Floor build up (from ground)
    - Sub-floor 175mm x 44mm, doubled on outer members held by ground screws
    - Membrane over joists?
    - Insulation 100mm Gutex
    - 22mm ESB (OSB).

I have a load of questions about fasteners, roofing etc but for now, opinions on the general approach and build up would be much appreciated.

I think the only place I have cold bridging is in the subfloor. Maybe 80mm woodfibre is a bit stingy there? Or I could maybe use thinner joists (150mm) with another cross member and drop in 25mm of under-OSB insulation?

Haven't figured out gutters and window/door details yet.

I'm not entirely sure about the membranes either.

Anyway, does this all look OK?

It's a bit of a brain dump so I've bolded the questions.

Eao_Te_GW.png

Pics of each layer:
    https://imgur.com/a/Wv51TjD

Animated gif:
    https://i.imgur.com/mIVnQUX.gif

Quantities (BOM ?)
    Quantities.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

I'm sadly not qualified to provide any answers to your questions but I'm well impressed with your drawings and planning.
    I've been thinking about doing something like this myself but don't have enough detail on key items to actually plan and start this sort of thing.
    I'd consider myself a good DIYer but lack the courage to do this - I overcome this by planning out as much of the build first in my head to make sure I can do it all before committing myself (but lots of unanswered questions means I never do :( ).

Can I ask a few questions:
    1. What size/make of ground screws are you considering for this - will you do this yourself?
    2. Where will you get the screws from and the equipment to drive them in?
    3. What software did you use to draw/plan this out?
    4. Any idea of cost when finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mp31 wrote: »
    I'm sadly not qualified to provide any answers to your questions but I'm well impressed with your drawings and planning.
    I'll be impressed myself if I ever get the damn thing built!
    1. What size/make of ground screws are you considering for this - will you do this yourself?
    Krinner. There are several suitable types. I started off thinking I'd use the U-series, and they do work, but ground screws can apparently be difficult to locate with high precision, so you end up with a frame on a frame. So in order to reduce the height (and get more headroom) I'm going for a variant of the F series with a rectangular top plate, which I'll bolt to the very heavy subframe or (if not accurate enough) will use some steel plate blanks bolted to the tops.

I was going to use 800mm screws, but as I've now moved the location to a 1:10 slope I'm having the lower end out of the ground, so I'll probably use 1000 or 1300mm screws. The 1300 ones (KSF F 76x1300-R) have 16.5kN max. compression load (~1700kg) with a safety factor of 2, and with 6 screws bearing my total shed weight of ~5 tonnes I'm well within the limits. The smaller screws are more like 10.5kN (about 1 tonne each).

There are "pre-dimensioning tables" provided by Krinner with all the data to roughly estimate the requirements.
    2. Where will you get the screws from and the equipment to drive them in?
    I was going to do it myself my hand but the supplier is only up the road in Bray so I'll probably get them to do it with a hand-operated but quite powerful machine.
    3. What software did you use to draw/plan this out?
    Sketchup Make.
    4. Any idea of cost when finished?
    Good question, dunno, we'll see. Under 10k. That sounds a lot, but worse specced off-the-shelf garden rooms are more like 30k.

I've been meaning to post an update but the plans are still in flux and I wanted to demonstrate some actual physical progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Sounds very reasonable if you get it done for that. I'd love to do something similar but was told price would be around 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For me the design is fine. You will learn and adjust as you go planning is important but you wont cover everything in this phase. As its DIY there will most definitely be changes or additions you make as you go.

Pricewise as above i would be surprised if you pull it in on budget. have you done the full numbers?

listermint wrote: »
    For me the design is fine. You will learn and adjust as you go planning is important but you wont cover everything in this phase. As its DIY there will most definitely be changes or additions you make as you go.
    Thanks.
    Pricewise as above i would be surprised if you pull it in on budget. have you done the full numbers?

Yeah, well another (more talented and qualified) boarsie did similar for about 15k in materials, so I'd also be surprised!

No, I haven't run all the numbers yet, I'm waiting on a quote for carcasssing timber and the woodfibre insulation isn't going to be cheap either. Or the fasteners (I'm using a lot of long Spax structural screws in preference to nails).

Budget is not the main driver though. It's more a case of me getting the satisfaction from doing almost all of it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Re membrane, recommend a breathable membrane taped and sealed outside (cold side) of the wood fibre insulation. (Membrane is fine in those locations - all timbers outside membrane should be treated)

Is the shed getting heated all the time? Would you silicone the racking board joints to reduce drafts

Theres a supplier in navan for wood fibre insulation look up steico on done deal. I got alot of acrylic plaster from him quality stuff.

BryanF wrote: »
    Re membrane, recommend a breathable membrane taped and sealed outside (cold side) of the wood fibre insulation. (Membrane is fine in those locations - all timbers outside membrane should be treated)

Is the shed getting heated all the time? Would you silicone the racking board joints to reduce drafts

Wouldn't taping them be quicker and more accurate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Wouldn't taping them be quicker and more accurate

Depends on when you do it and how much you want to spend

Current spec is pro clima SOLITEX FRONTA Quatttro. One roll should do me for the walls and also over the joists. Roof doesn't need it (apart from the ridge) but might do that too if I have some left over. I think the only timbers outside the membrane are the subframe/joists, battens and cladding. Maybe the ridge beam.
    Is the shed getting heated all the time?

Not sure yet.
    Would you silicone the racking board joints to reduce drafts

Current spec is 3 rolls of 30m x 60mm Tescon Vana (with RP primer) on racking boards. I think I ordered T&G so I'll only need to seal the expansion gaps.

(I retract any budget predictions at this point)

• Advertisement

Have re-done the design with a golden ratio roof pitch and dropped the deck on to 100mm joists sitting inside a thicker, deeper subframe which should be easier to locate on the ground screws.

Drops the ridge height a bit whilst increasing internal height, particularly over the mezzanine storage platform.

Will now step up, over and down to enter. No part M compliance to worry about!

Might stick another ground screw in dead center, just in case.

Ridge insulation detail might be a bit faffy. Maybe I'll use batt insulation there.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-24_at_08.59.09.png

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭prosaic

No expert but just wondering about membrane on outside of insulation. Would there be any moisture collecting between insulation and membrane? It's probably low moisture inside assuming not much water boiling or such inside. No knowledge of workings of external membrane. Assume it is to reduce draught airflow.

Yes, it's for weather proofing.

I think the dewpoint will be within the wood fibre insulation, but I don't think it can get trapped since the entire building fabric is designed to be vapour permeable, including the racking board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Lumen wrote: »
    Good question, dunno, we'll see. Under 10k. That sounds a lot, but worse specced off-the-shelf garden rooms are more like 30k.

All I can offer is that I've built a couple of sheds with blocks and roofed with timber covered with box profile sheeting. On reinforced concrete slabs that double as shed floor. Solid, weatherproof when rendered and under €2K each. Probably about 3 months work each on and off, working on own. Nothing fancy about them, but they work. Quite different to your proposed construction and obviously on a sloping site, the ground needs to be dug out and leveled first.

Things moving a bit slowly as I'm struggling to get the timber order fulfilled due to stock issues.

But ground screws are going in this week and I've a pallet of particle board on the way.

In the meantime I've been working on the design of the storage platform. The challenge is to produce an edge-supported 2x3m platform able to take about 500kg live load with as thin a profile as possible.

Timber is too deep or floppy. Mini steel beams are both too heavy and too deep. So I've settled on 80mm square section slotted aluminium extrusions. They're cheap, light (6.5kg/m) and seem to have the right structural properties, according to my spreadsheet* can take 100kg over a 3.2m span with only 7mm deflection (which I think is within acceptable deflection limits for aluminium structures based on Eurocode blah blah whatever). Also, they should allow recessed mounting of boards between members, so the whole platform should be only 80mm deep.

Can't find anyone in Ireland who does them so might have to order from the UK.

40-8080_photo.png

edit: * just checked MoE of Sitka spruce is 11GPa vs 70GPa for extruded alu sections, and alu is 75% of the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I built a lovely shed from timber i nicked off a building site close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Overkill but if you have the time give all the cut ends of the timber a coat of preservative. Don't think you can beat Protim 265 for that job.

You might also want some weight in the shed to help stop it blow over.

my3cents wrote: »
    Overkill but if you have the time give all the cut ends of the timber a coat of preservative. Don't think you can beat Protim 265 for that job.

Thanks, I was going to ask about that.
    You might also want some weight in the shed to help stop it blow over.

The structure should weigh getting on for 5 tonnes if my calculations are correct, but there are 11mm bolt holes in the top of the ground screws so I can put coach screws up into the frame through those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Where do you source the ground screws?

gman2k wrote: »
    Where do you source the ground screws?
    There's a company called Unipipe in Bray who sell and install them (link).

I think I'm allowed to post that, since the charter rule "Linking to websites or companies is not allowed for first time or relatively new posters" probably doesn't apply to me at this stage.

• Advertisement

There's a company called Unipipe in Bray who sell and install them (link).

I think I'm allowed to post that, since the charter rule "Linking to websites or companies is not allowed for first time or relatively new posters" probably doesn't apply to me at this stage.

These U series ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-KRINNER-Eindre-Anchors-Latches/dp/B01LDJFHP4/ or bigger ones?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107594907&postcount=3

edit: not sure about those Amazon prices. The screws I'm getting are a little over 100 quid each.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107594907&postcount=3

edit: not sure about those Amazon prices. The screws I'm getting are a little over 100 quid each.

Installed?

Those Amazon ones are the lightest ones they do some are 10 times the weight so obviously going to be much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

As there is a slope and still time I would consider adding in extra screws for an external platform for stacking stuff when you are moving stuff in and out of the shed and its leaves it easy place to sit and contemplate life. Build the platform detached with brackets from the rest of the wood shed so it can be swapped out if it deteriorates faster due to rain exposure.

As for the roof unless you have electricity i would think of adding in a roof light or replacing the slate with corrugated roofing and adding in clear perspex etc sheets for light.

Jumbletown.ie and freetradeireland.ie are good sites to keep an eye on for second hand doors and windows eg if this glass is near you and avalable http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=155974 some may fit

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

Are you planning to take pics of the various stages of the build - if so would you be willing to share on the thread as I'd like to see how the build progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I'll be impressed myself if I ever get the damn thing built!

Krinner. There are several suitable types. I started off thinking I'd use the U-series, and they do work, but ground screws can apparently be difficult to locate with high precision, so you end up with a frame on a frame. So in order to reduce the height (and get more headroom) I'm going for a variant of the F series with a rectangular top plate, which I'll bolt to the very heavy subframe or (if not accurate enough) will use some steel plate blanks bolted to the tops.

I was going to use 800mm screws, but as I've now moved the location to a 1:10 slope I'm having the lower end out of the ground, so I'll probably use 1000 or 1300mm screws. The 1300 ones (KSF F 76x1300-R) have 16.5kN max. compression load (~1700kg) with a safety factor of 2, and with 6 screws bearing my total shed weight of ~5 tonnes I'm well within the limits. The smaller screws are more like 10.5kN (about 1 tonne each).

There are "pre-dimensioning tables" provided by Krinner with all the data to roughly estimate the requirements.

I was going to do it myself my hand but the supplier is only up the road in Bray so I'll probably get them to do it with a hand-operated but quite powerful machine.

Sketchup Make.

I've been meaning to post an update but the plans are still in flux and I wanted to demonstrate some actual physical progress!

I got a 22 sqm Garden room for €12,500 installed over 4 days and of 2016. I claimed the VAT back as well. Well known provider in Jones Garden Centre North Dublin. Really happy with it and it's a proper man gave now.

But then I'm a lazy fecker and it took me 3 days to Coat it so god know how long it'd have takjen me to attempt to build one. Best of luck.

Are you planning to take pics of the various stages of the build - if so would you be willing to share on the thread as I'd like to see how the build progresses.

Of course. They're not very exciting yet.

One of the non-obvious things about DIY construction is that the supply chain isn't really set up to handle pallet deliveries up a gravel driveway lined with overhanging trees.

So I finally got my 1150kg delivery of Elka Strong Board (highly vapour permeable bidirectional OSB) from the UK (Ireland was out of stock) today, on about the 4th attempt, in the back of a box van. No forklift so we had to manhandle them out of the van on to a makeshift sled (the pallets they came on were....underneath them in the van).

They're going to sit outside for a few weeks and need to be kept dry. So this fine detailing is two layers of very non-breathable plastic sheeting, stapled and taped, with a log in the middle to help with run off.

20180731_152212.jpg

I did say it wasn't exciting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67,020 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Never mind pics, I want a video of the wind that is gonna knock this thing over! :D

Ground screws are going in today, pics to follow.

I've been thinking about heating. I'm struggling to find U/R values of the 80mm woodfibre insulation, but I'm guessing around 0.5W/m2/K. There's about 75sqm of surface, which gives winter heating requirement of 13.5kWh/day.

Electric storage heater @ 10.5c/kWh would cost ~€40/mo in winter, which seems reasonable. But I've used storage heaters, albeit in old Georgian buildings, and they were awful.

But what if I used the walls as a storage heater? Woodfibre has great heat capacity. There exists electric floor heating available in 0.5mx2m sheets @ 100W/m2. These would fit almost perfectly between each stud. 15 studs, 1.5kW, 9 hours overnight, cover each with another 80mm or so of insulation, job done. Idiocy or genius, I'm not sure.

Except apparently SSE Airtricity (the only provider I can see who does night rates) seems to require that an actual storage heater is fitted. I wonder how this is policed?

• Advertisement

I would say wood fibre has terrible heat conductivity so it would be a terrible idea. The heat would be slow to release but equally slower to store.

Advertisement