Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it common for cows to be bred by her father?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

p dogg wrote: »
    No we didn't enter the bdgs, probably should have though. I was looking at an article there and it said that in the USA 80 per cent of the entire population of cattle are 8 to 10 percent inbred. That's some amount of cattle
    suppose if they'r not too close it doesn't really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Line breeding is where a certain sire or dam appears on both sides of the pedigree. Very effective way of ensuring the continuation of a certain trait in the line.
    In breeding is mother-son, father daughter etc. Excellent way of ‘refining’ the traits that you’re after. Downside is you’re also refining any bad/undesirable traits and concentrating them. Inbreeding can also bring out any temperamental issues.

Would breeding a heifer to her grandsure be considered line breeding or in breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would breeding a heifer to her grandsure be considered line breeding or in breeding?
    If it works, it's line breeding.

If it doesn't, it's inbreeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'd be amazed at the amount of inbreeding there is in cattle. A limousin bull sold recently for big money in the UK. He had the bull Vantastic appear twice in his immediate breeding.
    Can't find the article now, but it was a high profile sale over in Carlisle. Vantastic featured twice within 3 generations I think. He was the Sire and also the Grandsire of the Dam, I think.

Ampertaine Majestic was the bull's name. He sold for 35,000gns sterling.
    Here's his breeding. So 1/4 plus 1/8 of his breeding would be Vantastic.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1641403346

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just looked at Tiger Roll's pedigree there (Grand national winner today). Northern Dancer appears 4 times in his back breeding. :rolleyes:

https://www.pedigreequery.com/tiger+roll

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Just looked at Tiger Roll's pedigree there (Grand national winner today). Northern Dancer appears 4 times in his back breeding. :rolleyes:

https://www.pedigreequery.com/tiger+roll

They say if you keep it below %75 it's ok. You can mate a half brother to a half sister, or you can introduce the same bull again 3 generations down the line. Bit strange, I haven't done it yet but probably will in the near future with a few pedigrees. You can bring out the best of breeding and a very nice uniform group of cattle that way but you can also bring out the bad. You can also bring out the bad by breeding the normal way.

I was very against it but after talking to a few good breeders that do it and listening to their take on it I'm swinging the other way. I definitely wouldn't like to make a habit of it but given the right cow and opportunity with a flush or something like that I'd do it no bother now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

They say if you keep it below %75 it's ok. You can mate a half brother to a half sister, or you can introduce the same bull again 3 generations down the line. Bit strange, I haven't done it yet but probably will in the near future with a few pedigrees. You can bring out the best of breeding and a very nice uniform group of cattle that way but you can also bring out the bad. You can also bring out the bad by breeding the normal way.

I was very against it but after talking to a few good breeders that do it and listening to their take on it I'm swinging the other way. I definitely wouldn't like to make a habit of it but given the right cow and opportunity with a flush or something like that I'd do it no bother now.

What you're describing is line breeding or inbreeding.
    The only difference is whether the good or the bad comes out.

Line breeding = Fantastic cattle

In breeding = Cattle with every fault known and unknown within the line.

As with all breeding decisions there's risk involved but that's something for each breeder to determine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Have a cow that I was going to move on as I thought she was empty bit now it turns out she's in calf and it can o ly be to her half brother,they had the same dam.What are peoples thoughts on the calf is ther likely to be problems.

Advertisement